Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2007, 04:14 PM   #121
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
65GT, this is GStephens. I hadn't read this thread in some time. I was just reading your post #98 on this thread. I am sorry if you mistook my comment. I was in fact bragging on the way you can put your positions into words. Go back and read what I said in post #90. My comment was: "Now all this time, I guess I sort of thought you were just another mal-content, but here I find I'm agreeing with just about everything you say."

It was a tongue in cheek way of bragging on you. Few people ever take a position on things, anything. Those that do often don't have the ability to put their thoughts into rational actions and then are able to make people understand what it is they want accomplished or how they feel their goals can be achieved. You, sir, seem to have that ability. You don't just vent anger with some silly comment or threat. You offer achievable solutions. I commend you. I would commend you for your abilities even if I disagreed with your position. On the post to which I responded, I found I pretty much agreed with everything you said.
GStephens
GStephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 04:52 PM   #122
Rivet Master

A letter that I will be sending to meny members

Here's a copy of a letter I plan to send to many members of the WBCCI. Not sure if you agree or disagree. But I think it meets both sides in the middle.

"
WBCCI Member,

This is a quick note to inform you about an up and coming vote in the WBCCI. The vote will be on whither or not to allow “Four Wind Class A Motor Homes” into the WBCCI. These motor homes will have a sticker put on them at either the “Four Winds Factory” or the “Four Winds Dealer” that say’s “Airstream Edition”. The only thing having to with Airstream with these motor homes will be that sticker. This motor home “will not” be made at the Airstream factory, this motor home “will not” be sold or serviced at Airstream dealerships, this motor home under any other conditions “would not” be allowed in the WBCCI. Some of the members of the WBCCI are saying, “Because Airstream is no longer making Class A Motor Homes and if this motion is not pass, it will force the current WBCCI members who own Airstream motor homes into purchasing another brand and leaving the club”. They go on to say, “By allowing these “Airstream Edition” Four Winds Motor Homes into the club, it will create more members for our club”. I agree, their needs to be an “amendment” to our constitution to protect the people that have been members for so many years in the WBCCI. I would suggest however, allowing “another brand” of RV into the WBCCI “is not” the way to solve this problem!

I would suggest, we “grandfather” current members of the WBCCI who own motor homes and members planning to purchase a motor home in the future. Under the “grandfather” rule, only “current members” of the WBCCI as of December 31, 2007 can purchase another brand of Class A Motor Home to live out their lives in the WBCCI. It would also allow these members to purchase any brand of “Class A Motor Home” they wish! Anyone joining the WBCCI after this date will not have this option. Also, if a current WBCCI member chooses to purchase another brand of Class A Motor Home to live out their lives, they should become a “Life Member” of the WBCCI. I think this suggestion, “allows current members” a great option for staying in the club and remaining a part of the WBCCI. It allows the people who want to keep the WBCCI as it has been for over 50+ years, with an “Airstream” only identity within the club.

What I find sad is this:

The “Airsteam Only” club that these members have had the privilege to be a member of for the past 50+ years are not willing to pass that same “Airstream Only” club on to the next generation.

I ask, you vote “NO” to this proposed amendment and ask a motion be made with the suggestion I have placed before you. I’m afraid if this amendment passes, you will have many more members leaving the club than you have current motor home owners.

Also, these are the thoughts “I” have about the proposed amendment. No were, do I suggest or imply these are the thoughts and views of the unit of which I am president. My unit has yet to vote on the issue.

Paul Waddell
WDCU President
WBCCI 1270
Old 01-25-2007, 05:01 PM   #123
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Rideair

Very good letter, it is along the lines of what I plan on writing for our newsletter. Two comments: 1) typo in next to last line "were" should be "where" and 2) based upon how the BaseCamp and name change motions were changed from the motion voted on at the unit level, do you think it is appropriate to suggest voting for a revised motion which we have not seen?

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 05:52 PM   #124
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
Quote:
do you think it is appropriate to suggest voting for a revised motion which we have not seen?
What you need to do is to clarify your values. Figure out what is good, what is better, what is OK, and what just won't do.

Make sure that your delegate understands these values and will work with others at the meeting to get the best result. Sometimes the best results come about when a group is working together and understands their values.

There are reasons the USA is a republic and not a democracy. Many of these reasons also apply to other large organizations. We need to learn from history so we don't keep doing things that don't work.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 10:07 PM   #125
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47WeeWind
Thank you for your thoughtful comments, and kudos for your Unit's excellent web site that honors and preseves WBCCI history. I spend far too much time there.
Thanks. Glad you enjoy it. Just to clarify, the website is our personal site. We created it to share our interest and enjoyment of the area we live in as well as our family history with camping, Airstreams, and WBCCI. We have also included ideas and materials from various friends. We donate a section of that website for use by our local Unit.
Sierra Nevada Unit #157
https://sierranevadaairstreams.org
SierraBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 08:18 AM   #126
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I wrote based on my memory from "Wanderlust - Airstream at 75". It's been a while since I read it. I admit I may have my facts wrong, but I would have sworn that is what I read: that the charter and constitution, as well as the decision to have the Internationals on July 4Th came after his death. I will have to double check them this weekend. Thank you for correcting me. I find no shame in admitting that I am wrong when I didn't verify my memory before I wrote. But the point is the club was started specifically for Airstreams and the constitution was written specifically for Airstream owners and I don't think we should be second guessing what Wally might have thought about an issue that is occurring 45 years after his death.

I also read the article on Wikipedia and found this quote:
Quote:
To lead caravans wherever the four winds blow... over twinkling boulevards, across trackless deserts... to the traveled and untraveled corners of the earth.
emphasis by me.

I don't consider Wikipedia to be an authoritative source since anyone can write anything in it without verifying their information, but I do recognize this to probably be accurate.

SO, according to Wikipedia, I guess Wally would have wanted Four Winds motor homes in the WBCCI so we could follow our WBCCI leaders in them to the
Quote:
traveled and untraveled corners of the earth.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 09:44 AM   #127
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
Diane, yours is one of the most lucid observation and discussion I have heard on this topic. It is obvious that you understand parlimentary procedure and its importance in keeping an organization on track. My hat is off to you and others that want to move ahead and build a better organization rather than tear it down. Keep up the good work.
Rick
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 11:11 AM   #128
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Exclamation Republic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leipper
There are reasons the USA is a republic and not a democracy. Many of these reasons also apply to other large organizations. We need to learn from history so we don't keep doing things that don't work.
Bryan-

Did I must something? The United States of America is a republic?

OK, now this issue is getting way off line, the thread is slowly getting highjacked and I for one am very tired of this whole discussion. WBCCI is for Airstreams, period.

"If you want to travel in a RV unit made by a different manufacturer the solution is VERY SIMPLE, JOIN THEIR CLUB!"

I see no problem with that statement. Precise, no agenda, no hidden meaning, clear and to the point.
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 02:17 PM   #129
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickandsandi
Bryan-

Did I must something? The United States of America is a republic?
Yes, I'm afraid you must have missed something in Civics Class. We are a democratic republic, but a republic just the same.

A republic is one in which the government has a chief of state who is not a monarch and who in modern times is usually a president and a government in which supreme power resides in a body of citizens entitled to vote and is exercised by elected officers and representatives responsible to them and governing according to law.

In other words, we elect representatives (Congressmen/women and Senators) to make our laws and we have a president.

A pure democracy is one in which the power is exercised directly by the people rather than through representatives.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 12:28 AM   #130
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Unit survival in question

My opinion is that the WBCCI will survive. But only if new Units are formed.

Now this experiance is only about a particular Unit. I know other Units are different.

I had switched from MAL to a local Unit. Yesterday we went on our first Rally with them.

We arrived at 11:00am. No one greeted, waved or otherwise acknowledged us. The Unit President came over and introduced himself at 3:30 and collected a check for camping fees. Chatted for about 15 min and left. We had been outside the majority of this time. The members stayed in their Moho's or trailers. I saw almost no socializing.

A very nice woman came over and joined us and we had a wonderfull time with her. She was not a member of this Unit. She and her husband also a truly nice man had just bought their Bambi and were there to try it out.

This Units members are older. Average age in the 70's which I think is pretty cool that they are still out camping. Unfortunately they made it pretty clear that they were not interested in new members actually camping with them. A very bad experiance. My wife at one point looked at me and said. "Did we fart in Church?"

At the dinner that night only three people spoke to us. Two of whom are the nice couple mentioned above and one "Official" who asked our names and talked with us for about 45 seconds. Of those we spoke to most were very minimal in conversation. There was one fellow who was very warm to us.

You should see the pictures we took at dinner. We'd stand at the table holding a camera and say "Smile" and they'd look at us and either turn away and go back to their dinner or conversation. Only four folks actually smiled for the camera.

I am not mentioning anyones name or the Unit as this is only my feelings and observations. I don't want to bash anyone just share my experiance and feelings. I'm sure the folks in this Unit are generally nice and would have their own observations of us.

So it occured to me that the WBCCI will survive but Units will start, grow, mature and die. Like the cycle of life. New Units need to be born.

Seems if I wish to be in a welcoming, having fun Unit I may have to start one myself. Anybody know how you start a Unit?

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 05:10 AM   #131
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Sounds like the welcoming committee drop the ball big time.

Did you talk to any members before joining that unit?

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 08:19 AM   #132
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI Pets
Sounds like the welcoming committee drop the ball big time.

Did you talk to any members before joining that unit?
Only the previous President. Very nice guy BTW.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Old 03-05-2007, 08:26 AM   #133
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Simi Valley , California
Clickish, & Overly Officious... My Favorite...

i belong to the WBCCI. i wanted to support the club, so i joined quite a while ago. i joined every club i could find...

i've never attended a WBCCI event B4 as i tend to like vintage trailer rallies of all makes; people there tend to decorate, dress up and i've always found them to be a hoot. however i like camping in general; regardless... so anyway... i was invited to this event. i came.

my observation of this weekend camping w/ the WBCCI? hopelessly overly officious. clickish... generally unfriendly. who has the nicest toy(s) and or the best camping spot (it was clear that the sites were "assigned" (but not really, wink, nod) by pecking order). HUMOR WAS IN SHORT SUPPLY with a majority. diversity was non-existant. gawd forbid you left the interior of your aluminum dwelling (or your fiberglass palace)...

happy hour 4:30pm, bed by 6:30pm. yawn...

no potlucks, no dive cowboy bars, no feed stores, no gun stores, no art, no horseshoes, list could could go on and on...

we made ourselves readily available, and WE WERE OVERLY FRIENDLY... to almost no avail (please note, to be fair some folks were down right friendly and did hang w/ us; most (as in majority) made no attempt, AT ALL) i didn't mention the name of the unit, the people or the location. this is not an attack, it's an observation...

if i was 5 - 55ish, i'd run away! FAST... (as in, if you want to destroy something do all the above)

the ONLY way the WBCCI is going to evolve? FORM NEW UNITS. the quicker the better. drop the officious bull.

a very interesting contrast in WBBCI rally styles would be the Four Corners Unit in the southwest. i attended a forum rally with that group not long ago B4 they were granted a WBCCI charter. in my opinion, the FCU is the future of the WBCCI.

but that's just me... what do i know... i only did 15 rallies last year. i'm new...

kevin
Kevbo10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 08:35 AM   #134
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
Quote:
Seems if I wish to be in a welcoming, having fun Unit I may have to start one myself. Anybody know how you start a Unit?
Go camping, with friends.

That is the first priority. That is the reason for organizing.

Go camping, with friends.

If it turns out you need to organize things to keep people working together and in touch with each other, then build an organization. When you have that, affiliate with others by becoming a Unit of the WBCCI if that suits.

The Unit serves the purpose: going camping. with friends. It is not an end in itself.

As you can see in these discussions, there are many who are conflicted about why the WBCCI exists. They see it as a political playground. They see it as a symbol of an American Icon. They see it as an expression for their ideologies. These are distractions and they destroy organizations. The focus must be on why you organize in order to put the effort on what is important. What is important is to go camping, with friends - not to organize and politicize and argue.

The welcoming committee problem is all too common and it is not only at rallies you see this. You see it here with this corner of the forums known to some moderators as a place to avoid because of the intolerant people. You see it in what happens when you try to point out uncivil behavior - which is why you don't see a lot of folks participating.

It is often easier to find friends when they are already there than to start afresh. That is why I suggest getting involved with an existing Unit and working it from the inside: A bit harder in some respects but it can be much more rewarding. All too often people form cliques and that means fewer friends and less opportunity. When you go camping, with friends, you want to be able to encourage more friends and not repeat what happened to you.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 09:17 AM   #135
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
Bryan, Sage advice. You've explained the best foundation for a new Unit.

AzFlycaster, can you expand a bit? I'd like to know a bit more about the building blocks.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Old 03-05-2007, 09:26 AM   #136
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
Goin camping- Like the early post says- go camping with your friends! Come on up to Casini, we are all waiting to see you and Karin again! You know me - sorry to hear about your last weekend - there is no bad out there- just something for everyone- so take the drive up north and bring some more of the SoCal peeps with you. Didn't you start a thread on black numbers some time ago? Maybe had something to do with less than favourable experiences ? DG

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 10:11 AM   #137
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
As I have said before, each unit has its own personality and this personality changes with the members in attendance. A new or prospective has to either accept that personality, attempt to change it or find a new unit. There are many units in Southern California, don't give up until you have tried more. Don't paint the entire club with the broad brush of one bad experience. Everyone's experience will be different.

Sometimes, I enjoy the opportunity to just sit and veg without interaction or to be able to catch up on my reading. Sometimes, I want to interact with others.

Just my personal opinion.

Bill
Just my personal opinion

Old 03-05-2007, 12:15 PM   #138
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot
As I have said before, each unit has its own personality and this personality changes with the members in attendance. A new or prospective has to either accept that personality, attempt to change it or find a new unit. There are many units in Southern California, don't give up until you have tried more. Don't paint the entire club with the broad brush of one bad experience. Everyone's experience will be different.

Sometimes, I enjoy the opportunity to just sit and veg without interaction or to be able to catch up on my reading. Sometimes, I want to interact with others.

Just my personal opinion.

Bill

Bill,

Trust me I am not painting the club with any brush. I was just saying that the Rally was not what I had hoped it would be and why. I am not even critisizing this Unit. They are happy with themselves and what they do. That actually makes them a succssesfull Unit. It's just not a Unit where Mrs. Goincamping and I fit in.

Did this event sour us on the WBCCI? Heck no. We still love being Wally's kids and will remain so.

Did this event sour us on seeking the kind of Unit we want to be in? Not even.

This event just caused me to think and ponder about the WBCCI. I'm sure the second Unit ever formed was different from the first in it's collective personality. My thoughts were just on how such a diverse organization survives. Thus my intrest in how a Unit is formed.

This intrest is technical and not political.

You better be carefull Bill or we'll be camping next to you again.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Old 03-05-2007, 12:27 PM   #139
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin camping
Bill,

Trust me I am not painting the club with any brush. I was just saying that the Rally was not what I had hoped it would be and why. I am not even critisizing this Unit. They are happy with themselves and what they do. That actually makes them a succssesfull Unit. It's just not a Unit where Mrs. Goincamping and I fit in.

Did this event sour us on the WBCCI? Heck no. We still love being Wally's kids and will remain so.

Did this event sour us on seeking the kind of Unit we want to be in? Not even.

This event just caused me to think and ponder about the WBCCI. I'm sure the second Unit ever formed was different from the first in it's collective personality. My thoughts were just on how such a diverse organization survives. Thus my intrest in how a Unit is formed.

This intrest is technical and not political.

You better be carefull Bill or we'll be camping next to you again.
Milo,

My reply was not directed to you personally. I know what you intended, I did not want your experience to color someone else into thinking that WBCCI is not the place to be. You understand that every unit is different and you are willing to experiment to find the right unit, and I hope you find it.

I am thinking about going to Palm Desert the end of this month. Want to camp next to us?

Bill
Just my personal opinion

Old 03-05-2007, 12:30 PM   #140
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot
Milo,

My reply was not directed to you personally. I know what you intended, I did not want your experience to color someone else into thinking that WBCCI is not the place to be. You understand that every unit is different and you are willing to experiment to find the right unit, and I hope you find it.

I am thinking about going to Palm Desert the end of this month. Want to camp next to us?

Bill
Bill,

Shoot me the details and if we can we'll for sure be there.

I know we'll find a fit because there's just too many opportunities to not find one. Thats the beauty of the WBCCI.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4