Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-20-2007, 06:42 PM   #61
Mr. Peeps, Pull-It Master

2007 25' International CCD
Pleasanton , California
We are very new Airstreamers, with no previous trailering experience, and received a brochure inviting us to join the Wallys when we bought our new Safari last August. In essence, we are some of the newcomers who are making the decision whether or not to join.

After reading the brochure, my impression was that this was an older generation (even though I'm 62 and retired) and much like the Elks' Club. I saw the Wallys as much more organizational than I would ever want to be. I like to have more control over my own road trips and spontaneity is important.

With the internet providing so much information about traveling (maps, weather, places to stay, ratings of campgrounds, discounts...) everyone can take charge of their own plans; there is no need to pay thousands of dollars so you can march to someone else's rally drum.

In the end we did not join the Wally Club - I just didn't see the value, even though the cost was only about $75. We've been to two Forum rallies so far, enjoyed both and are looking forward to Malibu and Casini.
Old 01-20-2007, 06:44 PM   #62
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Bryan,

While I think that the whole issue of SOBs being called Airstreams is ridiculous, I think you make a very good point.
The membership needs to pull together, network, be nice when disagreeing and vote this idea down. Karma for a reasoned post.
Having said that, I still say that you can call a Volkswagon a Porche all you want, it's still a VW.
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 07:35 PM   #63
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
Bryan, thanks for your well thought out, reasoned post.
GStephens
GStephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 07:48 PM   #64
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Bellevue , Washington
Hmm....I'm 31 and a new owner, should I even be concerned about this?
asherkobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 07:50 PM   #65
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by asherkobin
Hmm....I'm 31 and a new owner, should I even be concerned about this?
Only if you are a WBCCI member or are thinking about joining.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 07:56 PM   #66
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougjamie
I was just wondering about WDCU. What state does it have in its name?

-J
I have thought about that as well. While DC is not a state, but a capitol district, IMO should be treated as a state in this matter, as would Canadian Provinces. The wording of the change that requires a state name also says the name will be the state that has the most members. I doubt that many of the WDCU members live in the District. I am a member and do not.

The good news is that WDCU exists today and is a very good unit. BTW, I read that the unit had it's new flag approved at the IBT, would someone like to post a picture of it?

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 08:08 PM   #67
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
SOB owners are excited as ever!

All my friends with SOB pop - ups can't wait for this to pass - they are all SOOOOOO! excited. You should here them talkin - about getting one of these "Airstream" pumpkin stickers to put on their Coleman's so they can crash our rallies... I haven't seem such emotion / excitement in those Tarp Campers in years. Because that is what is next I tell ya (well, after the Hi-Lo trailers are let in.

Rob
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 08:13 PM   #68
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Folks this truly is as simple as pie -- really...Quote from 65GT

It is simple but every thing I've heard that's simple still isn't simple---lots of solutions from the one you propose to get in on the local level and help etc.
All envolve time that many of us don't have or refuse to get into the fray. The simplest way ,and fool proff ,if pulled off is to set a date in which everyone who is unhappy with the situation call WBCCI headquarters and tell them to cancel their membership, cancel their reservations to any 2007 rallys or caravans ,subscriptions to any airstrean publications and even orders for any new trailers. I can guarantee you if 2-3000 people responded in this manner there would be people stand up and listen. I've done my part--who will follow??---pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 09:32 PM   #69
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
Pieman, there is never any substitute for voting with your feet and your wallet.

AIR # 410
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dsphotoscapes
dscluchfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 09:54 PM   #70
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Yes but remember - Jim Franklin already asked us malcontents to get out. So your plan is actually what they want in the first place. It might be better to be a thorn in their side. That's what Jim doesn't want.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 12:56 AM   #71
Rivet Master

WDCU Flag

Here's the image of the WDCU Flag that was just passed. With the black background, red lettering and white image, it is not your normal WBCCI flag. Also, if you notice, there is a flag above the building that "could" easily have the pirate logo inserted. I wonder if we thought of that up front in the design? One will never know. I hope you like it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WDCU Flag1.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	31090   Click image for larger version

Name:	pirate.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	31094  

Old 01-21-2007, 05:48 AM   #72
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideair
Here's the image of the WDCU Flag that was just passed. With the black background, red lettering and white image, it is not your normal WBCCI flag. Also, if you notice, there is a flag above the building that "could" easily have the pirate logo inserted. I wonder if we thought of that up front in the design? One will never know. I hope you like it.
Very different, I like it!

Richard

Old 01-21-2007, 08:47 AM   #73
Certifiable

. , .
I have only been a member for about 4 months now.

Question: Could an entire Unit unanimously do something symbolic that would get the attention of everyone? For example, could an entire Unit, unanimously, refuse to send in their dues; secede; parade into the International together and then leave to a satellite rally; some other type of civil disobedience? (P.S. I'm not a big fan of the cream pie on the SOB windshield idea.)

Thor, Airstream and the WBCCI IBT are ALL numbers driven.

We are those numbers.
mistral blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 09:29 AM   #74
Certifiable

. , .
Thank you for your response and passion.

I think I agree with you on most core points

One more dumb question please: What is this about a $1.3 million kitty? In all things, political or not, the best way for me to focus on an issue is to follow the bling.
Old 01-21-2007, 09:43 AM   #75
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
That's how much is currently in the WBCCI coffers.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 10:01 AM   #76
Certifiable

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttercup
That's how much is currently in the WBCCI coffers.

Thank you. I kind of figured that. I assume it comes from our $75. I apologize for the cryptic wording of the question above.

Who holds the purse strings? How often does it get audited? Investments? A 50 year old club and there's only $1.3 M? Operating expenses? Is there a balance sheet we can get a hold of for say the last 20 years or so?

Numbers. I need numbers.
Old 01-21-2007, 10:18 AM   #77

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I think that it is extremely shortsighted on the part of International President Shafer to state publicly that those who disagree with him (mal-contents) should drop their membership in WBCCI. I think it is time for the WBCCI Borard of Directors to wake up.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 10:37 AM   #78
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags
I think that it is extremely shortsighted on the part of International President Shafer to state publicly that those who disagree with him (mal-contents) should drop their membership in WBCCI. I think it is time for the WBCCI Borard of Directors to wake up.
Did he actually say that? When and where was it said?

I have seen some posts regarding Past Int'l President Franklin's comments.

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
streamer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 10:52 AM   #79
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
65GT
Now all this time, I guess I sort of thought you were just another mal-content, but here I find I'm agreeing with just about everything you say.

I'm one of those fortunate enough to be in a unit (Texas Highland Lakes Unit) that is fun, vibrant, and growing by leaps and bounds. We're sponsoring the Texas Vintage Rally at the end of the month. I am very satisfied with the contact I personally experience with WBCCI, but I've never attended an International and only one Regional. I do not; however, want SOB's in the club and I voted along with the preponderance of our unit against last year's name change. Keep up the good work.
GStephens
GStephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 11:13 AM   #80
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I have listened to most of the tapes from Perry. It is not easy for me to hear all the details, most of that due to my hearing problems and some to the quality of the tapes. I was most interested in the report from Renee Ettline the Communications Liaison of the club. It is on this audio that Past President Jim Frankin suggests that folks who do not like the funny hats and jackets get a winabago and join another club. A very unfortunate remark by Jim. While some of the board were supportive of the job that Renee and the others are doing, many were critical of the report. Because she only had 412 items from members and several members had multiple items on the list the feedback from the members was concidered by some to be a non issue.

I suggest that everyone who has issues and areas that they think needs to be improved send an email to Renee at cl@wbcci.org .

Richard