Old 12-19-2006, 10:06 PM   #15
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Thank you. Well, would y'all like a few observations from an outsider (not a WBCCI member)? I promise to be nice.

jim

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 10:09 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan
Thank you. Well, would y'all like a few observations from an outsider (not a WBCCI member)? I promise to be nice.

jim
Jim,

Sure, I don't think that this is restricted. But be nice, you said you would.

Bill

Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 02:16 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65GT
If you don't like what's local get a bunch of AS friends together and start a new unit.
I am gong to try this again, more diplomatically.

So you just do what the people in Southwest have done and try to form a new WBCCI Unit like the proposed Four Corners Unit?

As has been throughly documented by those trying to obtain a Provisional Charter for the Four Corners Unit, this is not "easy", and may be next to impossible.

Members, and some current non-members, tried to start a new unit and have thusfar been denied by the Officers of Region 11. Some of those involved have completely given up on the idea due to the closed mindedness of the written opinions in the denial letter.

This request now awaits appeal at the IBT Meeting in Georgia because the powers in charge of Region 11 voted "no" to the idea of a new unit largely based on their opinion that having a new unit would not be in the best interest of WBCCI.

As I have previously stated in other posts, the WBCCI needs to be more welcoming of those that want Units that serve the needs of people that are slightly different than the "old" WBCCI member, but yet share a passion for Airstreams and camping.

AIR # 410
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dsphotoscapes
dscluchfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 05:41 AM   #18
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Dear Fellow Airstream Owners- For fifty years the WBCCI has been around providing a rally pole for all us AS owners. There is history here and we have two choices as members; be the problem and quit, be the solution and participate, become involved. Sure it is comfortable to sit here at your keyboard and complain about everything that is wrong but I ask you to do two things, ask yourself what you think the problems are and two, do something about it! Become activly involved in your unit, work up the ranks, throw your hat in the ring for a region office. What I have read is a whole bunch of complaints and no one stepping up to help. We belong to the New England Unit and I will tell you this; there is no greater group of people dedicated to their AS, the way of life we share and the getting together whenever possible. There is not a month for 2007 where there are at least two scheduled activities. Hey, we are even having a WBCCI Wedding Rally where Sandi and I are getting married! You get what you put into something and right now I think the membership at large needs to stop complaining and help with the problem. Yes, there is need for changes, and they will come with the right people stepping up to the place. Hey no one likes change, we need change and we need to do it so that all members are comfortable with the process and it does not divide the club. I love WBCCI and what Wally has done for us. Her was a man who gave us a new way of life, Airstreams and the open road, then brought us all together to share that great exprience together. I believe the organization should not change its name and we need to start at the unit level and grow.
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 06:13 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
WBCCI will survive. It has lots of money in the bank. Low cash outlay and a positive cash flow. The way it is organized and governed however, is not effecient and does not make the necessary changes that need to occur very easy. The "old boy" organization does not reward the old boys for responding to the membership needs. Given the seniority method of sellecting leaders, it is difficult to get the "New younger boy/girl" leaders into positions that can actually implement change.

We need a two party system in the club and a new party (we should call "The Progressive Party") that would formulate a party platform of improvement and run candidates for Region and national office from the floor, rather than depending on the "Nominating Committee" to preselect candidates from the conservative "Old Boy" network. There are some good people in the VAC and the Save Wally organizations that have demostrated an ability to organize and have ideas that are progressive.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:07 AM   #20
Silver Mist

1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
Thumbs up

I just got into Airstreams in August, I was glad to find there was a club let alone one with such a history.

Leo (GT65) introduced himself and in fact stop by to see my restoration work, another member called and invited me to a small get together.

So here on LI I would say the group in very alive and not anywhere near disappearing.

I' m an active sailor for the past 35 years or so and I visit different clubs when racing around the area, some of these clubs have been started well over 100 years ago they are still going strong.

With history of this club we can't in fact I don't see how it could fade into the sunset, the reason is these AS's kept on going, they themselves are almost indestructible.

I saw estimates of 60,000 built, a few thousand new ones built every year. When you mention Airstream on another forum, everybody with SOB knows there’s something special about them.

It reminds me of the Harley Davison’s, did you know that is the Harley is the most famous Trademark in the US?

Airstream may be the most famous in RV arena’s.

I think, although not certain one area that needs improvement is lack of a database with all units and all PO and current owners developed in a accessible format online. With that info membership drives can be established to find out why someone didn't renew and try retain their membership.

Also tracing a vintage units history is extremely interesting which a DB could provide.

Their website needs a tuneup also.

Change is good and it is needed in any organization, join and make the changes don't sit on your hands, in this case type you negative BS take that energy and do something constructive.

“re-invent itself or will it fade away” that’s up to you! not just the other guy!

If as Silvertwinkie said his area’s has a problem why not merge it with another one nearby-do something about it, don’t just shrug it off..

Do you realize that part of the residual value of your AS is this club; to allow it to fall apart is like not fixing the rust on you frame.

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 07:54 AM   #21
Past Prez.NEU/Membership

2005 34' Classic
2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
N Smithfield , Rhode Island
Thumbs up WBCCI will survive!

WBCCI will survive here in New England. Our group keeps growing and havivg FUN! We incorporate the past with the future and just have a lot of fun at our rallies.

We DO NOT want Wally to be forgotten, as he is the reason we are all together in our Shiny Tin Cans. We even sing the "Wally Songs" at our campfires.

Hip hip hooray for Wally..............

Gail
2004 Yukon Denali
, 2016 GMC 2500 Denali-Duramax Diesel
WBCCI #2905-NEU

AirHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 08:07 AM   #22
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Thumbs up Growing pains

For my Rivet Master post.I believe the WBCCI will survive and is close to a turnaround.I believe this turnaround in the short term is dependant on a couple of factors.
The membership needs to see strong leadership and reaction from these leaders to issues that are deemed important.What's the good of a survey of the members if nothing is done to address the concerns.
I also believe it is very important that the IBT approves the charter of the FCU in Perry in January.This would strengthen the membership numbers and open the door for other like minded units to get established.To turn down this units provisional charter in my opinion would not be in the best interest of the organization going forward.WBCCI must adapt to the times.

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
streamer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 08:57 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Thumbs up

Congratulations Rick and Sandi on your upcoming wedding!!! A WBCCI Wedding Rally sounds really cool! Hope there is lots of press in the BB and Airstream Life and news. We all want to share in your joy. Has anything like this ever been done before? (Hope the rally participants don't decide to hold a chivaree on you two after the campfire. )

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 09:02 AM   #24
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
off topic... Tin Hut - congrats on 500!

now back to our regular programing....
Attached Images

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 09:04 AM   #25
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Still off topic.....
Congratulations Mike!!!

Now back to...........

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 09:30 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickandsandi
Dear Fellow Airstream Owners- For fifty years the WBCCI has been around providing a rally pole for all us AS owners. There is history here and we have two choices as members; be the problem and quit, be the solution and participate, become involved. Sure it is comfortable to sit here at your keyboard and complain about everything that is wrong but I ask you to do two things, ask yourself what you think the problems are and two, do something about it! Become activly involved in your unit, work up the ranks, throw your hat in the ring for a region office. What I have read is a whole bunch of complaints and no one stepping up to help. We belong to the New England Unit and I will tell you this; there is no greater group of people dedicated to their AS, the way of life we share and the getting together whenever possible. There is not a month for 2007 where there are at least two scheduled activities. Hey, we are even having a WBCCI Wedding Rally where Sandi and I are getting married! You get what you put into something and right now I think the membership at large needs to stop complaining and help with the problem. Yes, there is need for changes, and they will come with the right people stepping up to the place. Hey no one likes change, we need change and we need to do it so that all members are comfortable with the process and it does not divide the club. I love WBCCI and what Wally has done for us. Her was a man who gave us a new way of life, Airstreams and the open road, then brought us all together to share that great exprience together. I believe the organization should not change its name and we need to start at the unit level and grow.
WBCCI could perhaps learn from the model of successful civic organizations (Lion's, Rotary, etc) that share a passion for their cause?

Airstream owners share a passion for camping and Airstreams. Beyond this common ground, there is a need for diversity due to geography, and also due to various interests of the members.

There is already division in the WBCCI that is sanctioned. The VAC is a Club within the club, and as the organization ages, will likely become the driving force as there will ultimately be more Airstreams on the road older than 25 years of age than newer than 25 years of age.

Lubbock, TX is home to the Largest Lion's Club in the USA. I am a member of the Lubbock Lion's Club.

There is also about 17 other Lion's Clubs in Lubbock that serve the needs of those members. Yet, the common cause is a passion for community service and a dedication to the blind and the disabled children in Texas and the World.

There is friendly rivalry, comraderie, and competition between the clubs. Lion's International is the beneficiary of this diversification.
What if Lion's International adopted the philosophy of some WBCCI Regions that believe that allowing more than one Unit in a city was not healthy? What if your choice is to either join the one allowed Unit, or vote with your feet and become a MAL, not join any Unit, or quit because you are misfit in the allowed Unit?

I prefer a model of inclusiveness over exclusiveness that looks more like the model of the various civic organizations where minimum size is necessary to Charter and maintain a Unit, and adherance to a standard framework of by-laws that insure the integrity of the parent organization.

Beyond those minimum standard requirements, the common thread should be a love of Airstreams, adventure, and camping.....and not a love of "we've never done it that way before, so let's not allow change."

AIR # 410
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dsphotoscapes
dscluchfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 10:06 AM   #27
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I am in my mid-40's and just purchased our Airstream in May of '06 and joined the WBCCI in August. Part of the reason I joined was to belong to an historic organization dedicated to Airstreams. The rest of the reason I joined was to be with other Airstream owners at rallies and to make friends at those rallies.

We attended forum rallies prior to purchasing our Airstream and will be attending our first forum rally with our Airstream in a couple of weeks. It wasn't necessary for us to join the WBCCI to participate in rallies, but we wanted to join to be a part of the organization and to have that comeraderie. From the descriptions I have read, I don't think I would like the regimented nature of the WBCCI rallies if it goes on during the entire rally. I think it might be kind of fun if the formality was restricted maybe during one organized social event (happy hour maybe) and then the rest of the rally could be relaxed and casual.

I really hope that the WBCCI doesn't go away. I feel confident after reading this thread that there is more support for the WBCCI than there was just a year ago. I hope this trend continues and that the leadership will consider a more relaxed future for the organization so that other middleaged members like me won't join and drop out after the first year because the activities are boring or too regimented. I still like the concept of membership in the oldest RV club and the largest brand specific RV club in the world. I also like the fact that the name, while incredibly long to say or type, pays homage to the founder of the RV brand that has world wide recognition as an American icon and recognition as the cream of the camping crop.
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 10:29 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1968 26' Overlander
Wenatchee WA , Cape Cod
I think the reason that this subject keeps coming up here in the forums (do a search you will find weeks of reading) is exactly why I think the WBCCI is not going away. Like a cape it ebbs and flows with tide. It loses sand in one area and builds up sand in another. Some years it grows, some years shrinks. But it is ever changing. If people don't like their unit, join another, or better yet, if you have the energy....change the one that's closest to you. If you want your rallies to be more of "just camping" offer to host a rally for your unit.

I asked the North Cascade Unit guys once "why are all of your rallies in parking lots (fairgrounds, large barren camping areas with tons of sites, etc). They replied that the unit used to be so large that those were the only places that they fit in. They also wanted a camping area with a central enclosed meeting area in case of inclement weather. But the unit started out as a group who split from a larger group because they were fed up with the status quo. Now they don't have as many members that still rally but they still book these fairground or fairground like areas.

But it is just about camping and the people. We just happen to rally under this name WBCCI. It will change, ebb, flow, reduce, increase, but as long as their are Airstreams and people who love Airstream history, the WBCCI isn't going anywhere.

Kathleen

1968 Overlander - WBCCI #5793
Uberlanders is offline   Reply With Quote