Old 03-05-2007, 01:36 PM   #141
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Colleyville , Texas
It'll survive!

It's lasted this long and has everything to gain with the "Boomer" generation and "Gen Xers" coming along behind them with fresh and new ideas about travel, camping and making new friends. That's what it's all about isn't it? Camping, travel and making new friends. Has it ever been different? I seriously doubt it. We're confident, new members of WBCCI and looking forward to the future.
HAPPY TRAILS

Old 03-05-2007, 01:56 PM   #142
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoominC6
It's lasted this long and has everything to gain with the "Boomer" generation and "Gen Xers" coming along behind them with fresh and new ideas about travel, camping and making new friends. That's what it's all about isn't it? Camping, travel and making new friends. Has it ever been different? I seriously doubt it. We're confident, new members of WBCCI and looking forward to the future.
HAPPY TRAILS
I could not agree more!

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 02:39 PM   #143
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Colleyville , Texas
Take us with ya!

Hey, take us with ya. Over the hill and around the next corner. Just like kids. Eager with anticipation. See ya out there somewhere!
Old 03-05-2007, 03:15 PM   #144
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
Tempe , Arizona
A generation past...

Being the newbie to Airstream (Argosy really) fun and what that means, I've been following the counterpoints of tradition and new persuits. The trends in society are to focused solutions for select groups. Finding the right unit may be the method but it seems to me that the larger organization may have to loosen up on traditional values to allow for specialized units with specialized interests. In my view, long term survival revolves around WBCCI encouraging the diversity of experience that comes to Airstream owners.

One man's opinion.

Charter Member Four Corners Unit

WBCCI #2417
flitzwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 03:31 PM   #145
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by flitzwhopper
Being the newbie to Airstream (Argosy really) fun and what that means, I've been following the counterpoints of tradition and new persuits. The trends in society are to focused solutions for select groups. Finding the right unit may be the method but it seems to me that the larger organization may have to loosen up on traditional values to allow for specialized units with specialized interests. In my view, long term survival revolves around WBCCI encouraging the diversity of experience that comes to Airstream owners.

One man's opinion.
As Tip O'Neill said "All politics are local". It does not matter what the top of the organization does, if you are not happy at the bottom. There is a diversity of experiences, in that each unit has its own personality within the WBCCI organization. For example, some units have one business meeting a year and some have one a month, some units boondock and some stay in full hookup parks. It all works in the same organizational framework. There are several specialized units: Vintage, Classic, Freewheelers etc.

Just my opinion.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 05:01 PM   #146
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
Tempe , Arizona
That being said...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot
As Tip O'Neill said "All politics are local". It does not matter what the top of the organization does, if you are not happy at the bottom. There is a diversity of experiences, in that each unit has its own personality within the WBCCI organization. For example, some units have one business meeting a year and some have one a month, some units boondock and some stay in full hookup parks. It all works in the same organizational framework. There are several specialized units: Vintage, Classic, Freewheelers etc.

Just my opinion.

Bill
Bill,
We are in the same place. I am aware of some problems, that have been resolved, getting the Four Corners Unit approved. I am uncertain what the problems were but was lead to believe that it had to do with WBCCI approvals and not the technicalities of creating a new unit. Doesn't matter now because the FCU has been granted provisional status. In my view, the trend is to many small units rather than the traditional regional units of the past.

Regards

Mike

Charter Member Four Corners Unit

WBCCI #2417
flitzwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 05:14 PM   #147
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by flitzwhopper
Bill,
We are in the same place. I am aware of some problems, that have been resolved, getting the Four Corners Unit approved. I am uncertain what the problems were but was lead to believe that it had to do with WBCCI approvals and not the technicalities of creating a new unit. Doesn't matter now because the FCU has been granted provisional status. In my view, the trend is to many small units rather than the traditional regional units of the past.

Regards

Mike
Mike,

Regardless of the size and number of units, I just want WBCCI to continue.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 08:39 AM   #148
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot
Mike,

Regardless of the size and number of units, I just want WBCCI to continue.

Bill
I agree. I would like to see it offer more for the pre-retired so that those of us that haven't made it to our "golden years" will be more attracted to the club.

With the continued growth in the Airstream brand, whether new or vintage units, there is no reason why the club shouldn't morph to meet the needs of the new buyers and experience the growth that the brand is experiencing. I realize that all RV clubs are experiencing a decline in membership, but if the WBCCI would just make a few changes, it wouldn't have to join the downward spiral.
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 09:55 AM   #149
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
Quote:
but if the WBCCI would just make a few changes
it has been doing this for quite a while - to no avail.

making a 'few changes' is often taken to mean tweaking some policy or procedure or event or activity and that very seldom leads to any fruitful result.

All one needs to do is to consider some of the suggestions and compare them to the mission and purpose of the club and its reason for existence. Does cohort (boomer, retiree, X) have anything to do with 'camping, with friends'? Does what some folks do at a rally have anything to do with 'camping, with friends'? I don't think they do at the base level.

Consider some of the contious issues by this standard. Does the level of passion match the issue's focus on the mission?

The avenue to health and vitality in an organization that has a proven track record is its honest focus on its mission. If that mission is not clear, if the organization does not focus all of its action on that mission, then the organization will suffer.

This kind of effort is not easy. It is not trivial. It is not simple. It is not something that can be delegated. That is why it is so rare.

We can change this. We can ask ourselves if we are contributing to a focus on the mission and purpose. We can start with our own efforts and do what we can to make sure they serve the organization and not just our own needs. Remember that famous Kennedy quote about what you can do for your country? Here is an opportunity on a smaller scale.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:33 AM   #150
4 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Brian,

I guess that I have to ask, what is the mission of WBCCI? If you were to just read the BB, it would look like the primary mission is to get members to come to Interntional.

In looking at the model consitution for units in the blue book, there is no mention of camping or fun. Do you think that is possibly part of the problem? Note: The motto of WDCU, one of the growing units, is "Its only camping." Perhaps if we all looked at what we are doing in this way, we might be better off.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:37 AM   #151
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
If you read the latest edition of the Blue Beret and the lobbying efforts for entrance of non A/S motorhomes - the WBCCI's demise will be blamed on no more class A's being manufactured.
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 10:58 AM   #152
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmickle
Brian,

I guess that I have to ask, what is the mission of WBCCI? If you were to just read the BB, it would look like the primary mission is to get members to come to Interntional.

In looking at the model consitution for units in the blue book, there is no mention of camping or fun. Do you think that is possibly part of the problem? Note: The motto of WDCU, one of the growing units, is "Its only camping." Perhaps if we all looked at what we are doing in this way, we might be better off.
IMHO. The purpose of the two branches of the WBCCI are:

Branch one the Units. The Units are for you and your friends to go camping have fun meet people see things AND determine what the International should be doing if anything. The body should control the head.

Branch two the International. They should be planning the BIG one in July and do what the Units need them to do in order for the Club to function.

Pardon me while I step up on my soapbox.

This Club will be what the members allow it to be.

How can a member determine the Clubs direction? The easiest way is to be in a Unit and go camping and having fun with your friends. Sway them through discussion to see a topic your way and to vote accordingly.

The next step up would be to run for elective office.

Whether the Club is guided from the top down or the bottom up is in our hands.

If we the regular members don't take a little time now and again to guide the Club it will be guided for us.

I'm off my soapbox and I thank you for your indulgence.

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 11:59 AM   #153
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I guess, maybe, there needs to be some big changes.
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 12:02 PM   #154
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
Quote:
I believe that is a Q.E.D. for the current malaise ... at least that is how I see it. It is one of several examples where the focus is moving from target to process. Going to the I'Rally serves the mission but it is not the mission. That distinction often gets lost - or so it seems to me.

Quote:
In looking at the model consitution for units in the blue book, there is no mention of camping or fun
I just took a look at this one (5 year Unit B&C review as per Ohio Law) and have noticed that the sample is missing one important word that is in the WBCCI Constitution. That word is "outdoor." I am floating a 'suggestion' through channels that the suggested Unit sample B&C need a few corrections.

The term used for "fun" etc is "fraternization" and that one is in there.

Quote:
This Club will be what the members allow it to be.
one minor quibble - the Club will be what its members make it. It is now what the members have made it. There is no distinction between 'regular' members or others - unless we make it. It is all of us members, each as individuals, who make the Club what it is. Whether we stand back and allow innapropriate behavior by inaction, or even take part in such innapropriate behavior, we make the Club what it is. It is up to us to reach out, make friends, and be fully aware that what we do is what the Club is.

Quote:
How can a member determine the Clubs direction? The easiest way is to be in a Unit and go camping and having fun with your friends.
You stay on that soapbox as I can listen to more of these ideas! Much more productive and constructive than some of the rants we've got around here IMHO.