Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-16-2009, 11:06 AM   #1

Bend , Oregon
Question Camp without services?

I don't own an airstream yet. I'm trying to find the best fit for the type of RVing I want to do. I expect to use the RV in campgrounds or parks with electical and water hookups most of the time. However, I would like to be able to take in a weekend here and there where there would be NO electical hookup possible. Do the airstreams have batteries or generators that would allow airconditioning to be on even if there is no electical hookups? This is a must since I would have my dog with me.

Thanks so much.
Popcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 11:13 AM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome from the Florida Panhandle

First off, welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

Airstream travel trailers do not come equipped with electric generators.

Many Airstreamers have generators to run their air conditioners while camping with no shore power.

I use 2 Honda 2000's which easily handle this chore. I get other uses out of these generators. I run tools on them when there is no nearby electric source. When the power goes off at home, I fire one up to run my refrigerator and freezer. Both Honda and Yamaha make these super quiet generators.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 11:24 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
Both Honda and Yamaha make these super quiet generators.
Second the welcome, our motor home has a built-in gen set that runs both the roof airs and is very quiet. We have stayed next to some trailers with the obnoxious gen sets, so moosetag is right on.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 11:34 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Chico , California
Popcorn - thanks for asking this question. I'm in the same boat right now - I have a lot to learn....

Moosetags - are 2 generators required? Does 1 not work at all, or just not very well?
reshecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 12:03 PM   #5

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by reshecca View Post
Popcorn - thanks for asking this question. I'm in the same boat right now - I have a lot to learn....

Moosetags - are 2 generators required? Does 1 not work at all, or just not very well?
Not necessarily, you can use one larger generator, like a Honda 3000. The problem is that it weighs well over 100# and hard to gorilla around. I prefer using 2 Honda 2000's. They weigh under 50# each, and I can easily handle them. It does pretty much take both of them if you want to run the air conditioner. It you're not using the air or the heat pump, you can full function on 1 Honda 2000.

I like the flexibility of having the two Honda 2000's. I will grab one regularly and use it to run tolls where there is no outlet readily available. I have also fired one up on a number of occasions to run my refrigerator and freezer at the house during a power outage. The Honda 2000's are not just for camping.

Some folks do run the air on a single Honda 2000, but you can not run anything else with it, including keeping the refrigerator over on gas. Yamaha makes a 2400 that some Forums members swear by that can handle the air and a couple of other minor electrical draws.

Your generator selection should depend on your particular wants and needs, but be sure to consider other possible uses prior to making your selection.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 12:27 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
There is a etiquette with gen sets that most of us follow; off at 10.00 pm (or earlier). We were at Monument Valley when some tent campers came in late, fired their dweeb gen set to run the boom box until three in the morning. The temps were in the twenties when we decided to bail early. I'd forgotten about them (sort of); fired Bess, diesels do smoke when the temps are that cold, turned out the exhaust pipe was right next to their tent: tit for tat.
Old 08-16-2009, 01:16 PM   #7
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
I just came home from a crowded campground, where there was a power failure. out came a whole bunch of these 8500 watt industrial noisemakers. I couldn't believe how loud they were, or how inconsiderate the people could be for running one of these monsters in such close proximity to "other people". "seasonal camper mentality", I guess. (I thought Larry the Cable Guy would make an appearance at any moment).

we wound up leaving early. I didn't pay $$$ to sit and listen to that. I don't care what time of day it was.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 01:30 PM   #8
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Some people never take the generator out of the tow vehicle. Then you can have a heavier one such as the 3,000 watt one. You can also have one outfitted to run on propane and have an extra bottle in the truck bed so you are not dependent on gasoline. But if you want to drive away while the dog is in the trailer, you have to have a generator at the trailer and chained to it.

You didn't ask this, but solar panels will help charge the batteries when you are boondocked and you won't have to run the generator so long as you don't need 120 v. or the batteries aren't drained by running 12 v. items a lot—the furnace being a major drain because of its fan. We have a solar panel and a 1,000 w. Honda and it serves all purposes for us. We stay away from hot places for boondocking, but I understand a dog left in the trailer anywhere in the summer can be an issue since the sun will heat the trailer very fast. You can reduce heat gain by using a material like reflectrix in the windows—its highly reflective and will help keep heat in or out depending on the season. You can buy long rolls at Lowe's and I understand smaller quantities are available at RV stores.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 01:40 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
"seasonal camper mentality".
We've been camp hosts; "SCM" is in our lexion now. Would we pronounce it "scum"?
Old 08-16-2009, 01:48 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popcorn View Post
I don't own an airstream yet. I'm trying to find the best fit for the type of RVing I want to do. I expect to use the RV in campgrounds or parks with electical and water hookups most of the time. However, I would like to be able to take in a weekend here and there where there would be NO electical hookup possible. Do the airstreams have batteries or generators that would allow airconditioning to be on even if there is no electical hookups? This is a must since I would have my dog with me.

Thanks so much.
You need an outside power source to run your A/C.

Many run either two Honda/Yamaha 2000's or one 3000.

Honda and Yamaha are expensive compared to the others but they have advantages. They are extremely quiet which you and your neighbors will appreciate and they seem to last forever.

Here's my own unofficial generator usage guide for boondocking.

Honda 1000. This is for Winter or other non A/C usage. It's used to recharge batteries and to run 110 volt appliances. Microwave, computer, TV, VCR etc. Really handy for when you use the furnace all night which will really drain your batteries.

Two 2000's or one 3000. This is for the A/C time of year. Runs the A/C and they are quiet so your outdoor time in the boonies is still peaceful and if you have neighbors they won't be driven crazy by a cheap loud generator pounding away.

Two 2000's are easy to move and small enough to easily secure inside your TV or trailer. The 3000 is heavier and bulkier so it's harder to move into the Tow vehicle and I believe to wide to fit into the A/S.

YMMV

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote