Old 06-19-2006, 04:53 PM   #113
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Sorry. Just changing the name of the club will not reverse the membership decline. Adding "Airstream" TM to the club name will add some signifigant legal complications, as evidenced by the recent conflicts with the Thor lawyers. The trade marked name "Airstream" is a very valuable asset to the Thor Corporation and I understand it is important in the patent law courts that the company must show evidence they are protecting it by prohibiting anybody from using the name, or they run the possibility of losing the trademark. That said, we thank Thor for all their previous loyal support but realize it is in their best interest, as WBCCI members still make up a large group of buying customers. There are some areas where WBCCI may compete with Thor in selling supplies thru the club store. This could be a problem. Advertising in the Blue Beret could also be competitive to some of the Thor activities and ventures.

WBCCI's largest problem is its inability to provide potential members with activities and benifits that are of interesting to them to convince them to pay the dues. The 2004 attempt at a survey did not include potential members and mostly was answered by former officers (I am one) and therefore could not possibly of any use in identifying what changes need to be made to the club to attact and keep new members. The survey should have been done by the local membership chairmen and been done by phone to all potential members they contacted and refused to join or even consider coming out to see what we are all about.

Old 06-20-2006, 05:47 PM   #114
1 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Hillsboro , Texas
Why Change the Name?!

That is true. Changing the name to include 'Airstream' is not the 'only' idea needed to help get WBCCI membership out of the doldrums, but it is a wonderful beginning and including Airstream in the club name is Huge. Changes have slowly started happening: the membership survey that went out over a year ago was a Positive action by WBCCI. Listening and responding a wee bit to the membership response has been wonderful. That survey, which overwhelmingly said yes to a name change to INCLUDE 'Airstream', was a beginning. Back at the Sioux Falls, SD Int'l. the New Jersey family made wonderful advances by organizing and concentrating on Youth Activities. That is a fantastic improvement to International.

How many have attended the Airstream Company Homecoming Rallies held at the factory in Jackson Ctr, Ohio? Wow - Funnn for all ages. And lotsa food included in the rally fee. We look forward to the next Homecoming rally.

Improvements have been happening in our 'Blue Beret' magazine. We are happy to see that, but not enough improvements have come fast enough. How many subscribe to the 'Airstream Life' magazine published by Rich Luhr?
www.airstreamlife.com

Wowee. It is like eating candy as one reads that mag from beginning to end. Let us hope that the Airstream Company does not scoff up that publication if Airstream Company decides to form a company club... That combination would be the death knell and we do not want to see a death knell for WBCCI. We want to see W. Byam's dream continue for many, many years. Byam traveled too far and accomplished too much for us'ns to ruin his dream.

Thank you W. Byam and WBCCI for continuing the Airstream dream.

Happy 'Streaming! May the wind always be at your back (but not too much).

Carl & Cindy
Airstream #7494

Old 06-20-2006, 06:09 PM   #115
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
I don't disagree with most of your post...however
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl johnson
<snip>
That survey, which overwhelmingly said yes to a name change to INCLUDE 'Airstream', was a beginning.

<snip>
INCLUDE is the operative word here...not totally abandon our history. I for one voted to include Airstream in the name when I thought it meant include...however the new name proposed IMO is not including Airstream, it's a totally new name.
in&#183;clude (ĭn-klūd')
tr.v., -clud&#183;ed, -clud&#183;ing, -cludes.
  1. To take in as a part, element, or member.
  2. To contain as a secondary or subordinate element.
  3. To consider with or place into a group, class, or total: thanked the host for including us.
The name change issue is all a moot point now anyway, "the delegates voting" results will be known shortly and this has certainly been discussed plenty here on the forums.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 06:54 PM   #116
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightdi
Sorry. Just changing the name of the club will not reverse the membership decline. ...
... WBCCI's largest problem is its inability to provide potential members with activities and benifits that are of interesting to them to convince them to pay the dues.
I agree. The most common complaint about people asking "who's Wally?" is seen as a negative when it should be seen as an opportunity. And that 'attitude' about taking an opportunity as a negative is a big part of the membership problem, IMHO.

The question that needs to be answered is "why join?" Surveys and plattitudes and cost benefit analysis never provide an answer to this question for an organization like WBCCI. They don't explain, for instance, the Save Wally fans and their, uh, enthusiasm.

You can find some clues to a good answer to "why join?" by looking at what turns people away from WBCCI groups and events and people. There are a lot of these stories around.

There have been a lot of well meaning efforts to increase the quanity of members but, as far as I know, there has been very little to address the issue of quality of membership. There are some indicators of how this quality should be measured in the WBCCI Constitution mission and purposes but there is very little activity to do so as far as I can see. That quality is a group or organizational thing and not a means to measure individuals to see if they make the grade (another common error). If an organization has good quality, the quanitity of members will not be an issue as that problem will solve itself.

Quote:
The trade marked name "Airstream" is a very valuable asset to the Thor Corporation and I understand it is important in the patent law courts that the company must show evidence they are protecting it by prohibiting anybody from using the name, or they run the possibility of losing the trademark.
This is one of those things that is woefully overblown IMHO. It is a rather common fear from ignorance of intellectual property law I think. Trademarks only hold sway in regards to commerce. Copyright is another matter. Courtesy and respect also fit in here as well.

I am very curious if Salem will be as off-putting as Boise was 8 years ago or whether something has changed. - Westward Ho! Aluminum sightings from RVer's in Montana and elsewhere have been heard expressed with amazement at herd sightings never seen before. Halleluja Trail??
Old 06-20-2006, 08:35 PM   #117
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
IMHO. I'm a very new as in I bought it today Airstream owner. I like the WBCCI name. It's kinda hokey but it appeals to me. Can I be a Wallite? lol. I like the big red numbers too. There is a lot of history that I feel should not be discarded.

As to declining membership. I will be a member at large because the nearest chapter has no trips of less than a week I could find. My wife and I work full time and except for vacation we only get weekends. I don't think we are alone in this. Organizations must flex and modify to accomodate all potential member groups. There are many younger people going camping because its an affordable way to be with the kids or to get away. Anyway that is just my opinion don't mean to start a fight or get anyone goin.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:40 PM   #118
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Being in So Cal...you may want to look into the El Camino Real WBCCI Unit. Many of their members are still working (re: younger) and they have a very active group. Many of them own vintage trailers...although you don't say what your new trailer is. Congratulations on it whatever it is ~

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 08:48 PM   #119
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin camping
IMHO. I'm a very new as in I bought it today Airstream owner. I like the WBCCI name. It's kinda hokey but it appeals to me. Can I be a Wallite? lol. I like the big red numbers too. There is a lot of history that I feel should not be discarded.

As to declining membership. I will be a member at large because the nearest chapter has no trips of less than a week I could find. My wife and I work full time and except for vacation we only get weekends. I don't think we are alone in this. Organizations must flex and modify to accomodate all potential member groups. There are many younger people going camping because its an affordable way to be with the kids or to get away. Anyway that is just my opinion don't mean to start a fight or get anyone goin.
Goin Camping,

Hold on about that member at large stuff. Take Insideout's advice and join the El Camino Real Unit. Our rallies run from Wednesday to Sunday, but since I am still working, we usually show up Thursday night or even Friday. Our 1979 Safari has been one of the newest trailers of about the 25 or so that are on each rally, but recently there have been several new units. Look at Rich Luhr's blog, http://www.tour.airstreamlife.com/weblog/ about his Tour of America, he mentions Yank and Rikki who he met at Crater Lake this week, they are members of this great unit.

I can have our membership chair send you information, but after the International since she is at the Sisters Rendevous now.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 09:44 PM   #120
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
Bill, Thank you for the offer. I am interested please do send that info. I gather you folks are in Orange County? I'm in northern L.A. County.

Insideout. It's a '06 19 Safari LS. I pick it up 7-1-06.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:58 PM   #121
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin camping
Bill, Thank you for the offer. I am interested please do send that info. I gather you folks are in Orange County? I'm in northern L.A. County.

Insideout. It's a '06 19 Safari LS. I pick it up 7-1-06.
We have a rally once a month, in 2006 they were in Indio, Escodido, Ramona, Mariposa, Yucaipa, Newport Beach (in conjunction with the Vintage Airstream Club) Malibu. Next year's sites are not set yet.

We have members from San Diego to Atascadero and Oakhurst and out to Quartzite. But mostly, LA, Orange, San Diego, Riverside and San Bernardino counties. We have one business meeting a year, very short and usually in September. We have one luncheon, in connection with the installation rally in December.

Please send me an email with your name and address through the forums and I can forward it to membership.

Bill
Just my personal opinion

Old 06-22-2006, 08:00 PM   #122
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leipper

I am very curious if Salem will be as off-putting as Boise was 8 years ago or whether something has changed. - Westward Ho! Aluminum sightings from RVer's in Montana and elsewhere have been heard expressed with amazement at herd sightings never seen before. Halleluja Trail??
hi bryan

are you going or here in salem?

i am, this is my first and sorry to say this is basically a sad event....

i'll elaborate later..
i have met a few really great folks....
but other things are so out of date as to be hard to imagine...
i am finding.....
i may not make it to the 4th..

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 04:20 PM   #123
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
Just read Goin Camping's post and agree that many of us would participate if the events were geared to those of us who are not retired or independently wealthy.

We also are new owners, and thoroughly enjoy our Safari. We were able to take a US tour for our first trip which included 27 states and over 8000 miles. Although we didnt know a lot about WBCCI, we became members at large (#8228) after running into a great group of caravaners in New Mexico. We chose member at large status because we didnt know enough about the local groups to join.

We are considering going to Salem, but we are not sure we can take that much time and because the event schedule left us thinking "what will we really do when we are there?"

Again, as for the idea of a name change, we think the product is more of the issue than the name.

We welcome any input, especially members in So. Cal.
Old 06-23-2006, 05:05 PM   #124
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMEMACHINE
Just read Goin Camping's post and agree that many of us would participate if the events were geared to those of us who are not retired or independently wealthy.

We also are new owners, and thoroughly enjoy our Safari. We were able to take a US tour for our first trip which included 27 states and over 8000 miles. Although we didnt know a lot about WBCCI, we became members at large (#8228) after running into a great group of caravaners in New Mexico. We chose member at large status because we didnt know enough about the local groups to join.

We are considering going to Salem, but we are not sure we can take that much time and because the event schedule left us thinking "what will we really do when we are there?"

Again, as for the idea of a name change, we think the product is more of the issue than the name.

We welcome any input, especially members in So. Cal.
Timemachine,

If you decide to go to Salem, you will meet a lot of great people. Look at the Tour of America blog by Rich Luhr, he is on his way there, Yank, Rickie, Roger and Marion are members of the El Camino Real Unit here in So Cal. They also put together the Sister Rendezvous which in going on now. Our next rally is in Yucaipa in September with a co sponsorship of the VAC rally at the Newport Dunes in October.

On our way to Salem tomorrow.

Bill
Just my personal opinion

Old 06-23-2006, 05:18 PM   #125
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
Quote:
many of us would participate if the events were geared to those of us who are not retired or independently wealthy.
Nike has the answer: "Just do it!" - If your local Unit doesn't currently support your kind of Airstream experience, then add your kind of Airstream experience to its menu of events and activities. If your unit is going to be so stuck in a rut and doesn't have anyone who wants to join you in your kind of Airstream experience, then go do your kind of Airstream experience yourself and invite others along. If you look around you'll probably find some others in your area who think the way you do and only need an invite. Who knows? Maybe start another unit!

The local Unit should be able, at the very least, to provide communications and some assistance for members who want to try something different. In return, members need to sample other kinds of Airstream experience in full faith as that leads to the kind of personal growth that is a benefit of membership.

Quote:
This one is getting some attention and I do not think all of it is constructive. There are also some conflicts in terms of the event itself. For some it is a place to park while they explore northwest oregon. For others it is a chance to get into WBCCI governance or a big party or a chance to catch up on old friends or an opportunity to make new friends or an opportunity to gather information for griping and bitching or to learn about caravans and units and how they work or volunteer on a common task with friends or to work with the group civic contribution effort or just experience something different and unique in its own way. It looks like this one is also serving as a focal point for some of the more revolution minded in the community. Maybe the captain was right: a bit of revolution every now and then can be a good thing.
Old 06-23-2006, 05:37 PM   #126
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Bryan,

Are you in Salem? or will you be?

If so, lets meet, I will be easy to find. The only Lincoln Continetal in the 30 Amp Vintage Section. Or come along on my Country Coach tour on Wednesday.

Bill

Just my personal opinion