Old 08-25-2008, 08:41 PM   #57
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Upperco , Maryland
I have pretty much zero experience with WBCCI, but the Air Forum folks have been fantastic. Carl helped my wife and I find our Overlander. Frank has already offered to stop by and offer his expert opinion (and give me a great deal on some unused POR-15). I took a bit of time to help Remco and was overwhelmed by the warmth and graciousness. The folks here who have "lived to tell the tale" on a restoration (like TomW) have been incredibly generous with their time and hard-earned expertise. If there are WBCCI discontents here, I haven't found them.

I don't know if anyone from WBCCI's leadership team will read this, but here's some food for thought. My wife and I decided to buy our vintage Airstream... not because we were visited by the ghost of Wally Byam or because we've had a lifelong fixation with red numbers on aluminum skin. We bought our Overlander because we're fulfilling an Airstream dream that began with our grandparents and because the people here at Air Forums helped us believe we could make it happen. Imagine how great WBCCI could be if it could tap into just a fraction of the incredible people here. Of course, people might need to lighten up a little bit on the "this is how to fly your flags" stuff.

hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 08:55 PM   #58
4 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
Mount Vernon , Kentucky
Saddened

I was really interested in joining the WBCCI until getting involved with the forum. I would still like to join, but I get enough rules, regulations, and politics as a teacher. The last thing I want is to get caught up in politics while camping. With that said, the Airstream Forum is an awesome asset!!

Old 08-25-2008, 08:57 PM   #59
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Can I ask a dumb question? There are people that post in every thread in this forum that say, "This is why I don't join WBCCI." Well, then, why are you bothering with this forum? Obviously WBCCI must hold SOME interest for you.

"This is why I don't join WBCCI" has been said in this forum a million times. And this has been said a million times, too, but I'll say it again: "Some of the unit rallies are GREAT. That's why we stay in it." I just got back from another excellent WDCU Outer Banks rally yesterday, my third WDCU rally this year, and I've had a great time at all of them. (Side note: WDCU managed to pick up ANOTHER membership while we were there, just like we did in 2006. How did you do that, you might ask? We invited them to our gatherings and had fun. Strange how that works.)

But on to the original topic: I'm very disappointed to see this. I can see why Bob's message annoyed them; it's written in a rather inflammatory tone. But to suspend him over it? No. When your region presidents are telling you there is a problem with the club, perhaps you should listen to them instead of censuring them.

Also, I think it's likely few of us would've heard about this letter except that the IBT (or whatever) took this drastic step.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 09:09 PM   #60
4 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Graham , North Carolina
I have to agree with Hamstead38 on the first page of posts. I am the Mayor of a small town and the last thing I need to join is a group that has so much politics that you lose the original reason for being formed. Fun and companionship. Has anyone ever read Roberts Rules. I tried and even the condenced version is unusable to the real world. Do the right thing and you won't go wrong.
Thanks
Jerry

wear it out, don't rust it out

Jerry
jpeterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 09:15 PM   #61
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater View Post
Can I ask a dumb question? There are people that post in every thread in this forum that say, "This is why I don't join WBCCI." Well, then, why are you bothering with this forum? Obviously WBCCI must hold SOME interest for you.

"This is why I don't join WBCCI" has been said in this forum a million times. And this has been said a million times, too, but I'll say it again: "Some of the unit rallies are GREAT. That's why we stay in it." I just got back from another excellent WDCU Outer Banks rally yesterday, my third WDCU rally this year, and I've had a great time at all of them. (Side note: WDCU managed to pick up ANOTHER membership while we were there, just like we did in 2006. How did you do that, you might ask? We invited them to our gatherings and had fun. Strange how that works.)

But on to the original topic: I'm very disappointed to see this. I can see why Bob's message annoyed them; it's written in a rather inflammatory tone. But to suspend him over it? No. When your region presidents are telling you there is a problem with the club, perhaps you should listen to them instead of censuring them.

Also, I think it's likely few of us would've heard about this letter except that the IBT (or whatever) took this drastic step.
Skater,

That is a great question. I guess that it is like watching a train wreck, you just can't look away. WDCU is a great unit, there are many more great units. El Camino Real in So Cal is a great unit. If you live in So Cal, come out and join us. You will seldom, if ever, hear a discussion of International politics at ECR rallies. My wife and I have had a great time for the past six years that we have been members. I obtained five year stars and they will go on both of our trailers.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 09:15 PM   #62
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
I for one joined this forum before I owned an Airstream or even knew anything about the WBCCI. It took this forum to alert me to the concerns people had for the WBCCI. Concerns that I would have discovered had I done my own research about the organization. I won't join a club blindly without first knowing something about it. For now, I'm a fence sitter but these recent actions have made me seriously consider joining so that I can put my support behind those who are offering change.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 09:23 PM   #63
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
I think If people in the Units put posts up of the fun stuff that goes on, some of us might join.. But it seems we just see the politics, and I will say it again, "get enough of that in the real world, don't want it in my camping one..."

And I don't want to be told what to wear, how to have my flag, and whether I can or cannot put a lock on my tongue, and so on...

Are there events that don't have all the rules going on... I would love to hang out with other streamers for a weekend, talk and have fun...

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 09:30 PM   #64
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by purman View Post
I think If people in the Units put posts up of the fun stuff that goes on, some of us might join.. But it seems we just see the politics, and I will say it again, "get enough of that in the real world, don't want it in my camping one..."

And I don't want to be told what to wear, how to have my flag, and whether I can or cannot put a lock on my tongue, and so on...

Are there events that don't have all the rules going on... I would love to hang out with other streamers for a weekend, talk and have fun...
Jason,

As I have said several times, WDCU, ECR and several other units including Denver, CO.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 09:34 PM   #65
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvite-F View Post
Carol,

The answer to the question "who has Bob's back" is Leo Garvey. For details see here:

http://savewally.org/forums/index.php?topic=1158.0

The Ethics and Grievance Committee hearing on the grievance filed against Leo is scheduled for WBCCI Headquarters at Jackson Center, Ohio on Sept 23 at 1:00. See here:

MetroNY Copes

Frankly, I expect that if they suspended Bob Thompson they will toss Leo out of the club permanently. We can hope that the Executive Committee will see the light before then. (Or, if not see the light, feel the heat.)

Maybe those of us who want to show our support for Leo ought to show up that day at Jackson Center. . .

(I would suggest coordinating with Leo first.)
Nuvi thanks for the heads up on Leo's hearing. Last I had heard he was hoping for the International should there be proceedings.

That is not good. The conclusion is foregone before the papers were drawn. How does one conduct themselves in a mock proceeding? In Leo's case I would say valiantly, eloquantly and perhaps with a surprise or two of his own.

I am holding out hope against hope that the current region and unit leadership will have their backs. Membership can make a showing but the leaders should they become unified would have some real clout. It has to be others that HAVE made a difference and will lay it on the line with their experience reputation and integrity and position, just as Bob and Leo have done to be able to save them. Um...I think we all know the impact members have on the IBT!!!

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 09:41 PM   #66
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Joplin , Missouri
Quote:

Strange as it may seem to some of those who are WBCCI members, I didn't join this forum to learn about it and because I was interested in the club. In fact, I had never heard of it until I got in here. I joined because I wanted to own an Airstream, to learn about them and to meet like-minded people who wanted to have fun owning, restoring, camping and living in Airstreams. I actually thought seriously about joining WBCCI when I found out about it, but I have seen very few positive threads about it and that alone made me think I didn't want any part of it. Now, I have met several forum members who are WBCCI members, and they are very nice, great people whom I would like to call friends. I have no problem with the members of the club. What I see that I don't like are the politics, the squabbling, the stringent rules and regulations, the in-fighting and the thought that if I shot off my mouth I could get booted out of the club by someone who didn't agree with me. If I wanted in-fighting and feuding, I could go to a family reunion! I am sure I would enjoy the rallies and the members, it is the price to pay that goes with the fun that I don't need.

"To know is nothing at all. To imagine, is everything." --Albert Einstein

http://chaosinature.blogspot.com/
Isadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 09:54 PM   #67
4 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Smiths Grove , Kentucky
Just like in every other part of our lives, it's about CUSTOMER SERVICE. You must give people what they are looking for or they will look elsewhere. There are many people on this forum including myself who have not joined the WBCCI but have thought about it for some time. If it takes that much thought put into joining or not someone needs to rethink it's value. I agree joining means you can create change from within but their must be some prospect that change will eventually occur and that change will be worth the pain. I believe in freedom of speech, sadly sometimes when we grow tired of speaking we start yelling. I wish Bob the best of luck and hope this is the thing that might shake the WBCCI into remember it's job, not worshiping the past but looking forward to the future.

63silver
Old 08-25-2008, 10:02 PM   #68
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by purman View Post

Come take a look at the 4CU.We have no rules.Just fun camping with good folk.No trailer in a line,put up what ever flags you would like ,we will even let you put a lock on your trailer.You can also talk to some of our Colorado members.
Now I just told ever one on this thread that I would not post again on this thread but could not let you think there are not some realy nice units like 4CU.
Come take a look you might like us.
jimmini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 10:07 PM   #69
2 Rivet Member

1979 25' Tradewind
virginia beach , Virginia
We ( my family) joined the WBCCI club due to the very strong local unit we have in Tidewater Virginia. We attended our first local rally in May and I have to tell you the club leaders really worked their tails off to make the event a great time for all.
I can't imagine the complexities of having to preside over a club as large as WBCCI and trying to make everyone happy. And let's admit some personalities are more happy pissing and whining than trying to get along.
I do believe that this man's letter no mater how well intentioned has left very little wiggle room for an amicable agreement. Ego's are now in play and larger battles have been fought for less.
Let's hope they work this out like gentlemen and do not tarnish the club's image.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:12 PM   #70
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari SS SE
1969 27' Overlander
Martinez , Georgia
We joined the club because of it's history and the product. We continue attending events because of the members. We have met many nice folks in the club and have enjoyed unit, state, and international rallies. The politics may seem large here on the Forum, but it is not a factor at events we have attended...except during the Delegates' Meeting.

We argue here because we care about the future of the club and want to see it thrive...not wither. If we weren't sold, we would leave. When you see so many strong opinions, it reflects very strong support for the club (not necessarily current or past leadership).

Hope this helps.

Matt