Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2009, 06:30 AM   #61
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Well said Steve

Steve,

Your response to Ed's post was right on. Ed, you must have just left Happy Hour where you had a few too many for your post is not totally accurate... maybe you posted it after the pavement (totally discontent) row departed. Not to burst your bubble, but you are not speaking for all.

This was one of the most lame rallies I've been to in quite a while. Even though I had all the expectations of an International - it was still a let down.

For me, the let down started when I pulled up into the VAC rhendevous where I saw Scott walking across to meet us... I pulled up and said hey Scott. He looked at me, asked "Who are you?" and then when I said my name, he said I wasn't even on his list (even though I'd been collaborating via email and was bringing 9 vintage with me).... I was interested to see how I was going to be received after recently resigning as VAC 2nd VP. I resigned because I knew I would not be able to meet the expectations of 1st VP out at Gillette (not attending) and also because the VAC bylaws were not followed when the 2nd VP resigned last year... but that's another story....

Upon convoying over and parading into (why we did not parade downtown is beyond me (I did upon leaving)) the VAC parking area, while somewhat fun - it was a let down for no one in the city got to experience the awe of 66 vintage rigs on the road. Then we were parked... parked on the pavement (we were told Friday night by the VAC Pres that we'd be in grass) with my entire VINTAGE representation of the WDCU... I still was trying to make lemonade with the lemons served.

It was hard and it was hard for many... after the long trip and $$$ ... there were many VERY discontent members (the VAC will be lucky to get them back)...

VAC Happy Hours were the worst I've ever seen regarding the spread... many people but only about 7-8 bowls of pretzels.... the only good one I saw was when the Region President's brought over some food and cake along when Leo gave his leftovers from his Unit President's alternate dinner.

The kids made the best of it all as they usually do... luckily we were not far from Drag N Wagon who was near the grass as well so they could get out of the traffic to play.

It was a pleasure to finally meet people and put faces to names at least.

The International Rally on the WBCCI surpassed my expectations while the VAC portion really let me down - there was a very wide GRASS / Pavement divide created (perception is everything)... especially with all the new rigs parked in the grass amongst the Vintage units while the vintage pavement area had old ones... it was too bad that so many were promised one thing and given something else.

I'd say maybe next time, but I know many of my unit won't be back - a shame, especially where the WDCU has many VAC members. Many will not even be renewing their VAC membership due to the let down... including myself - I'll stay WBCCI but not VAC for now..... it's really wierd hearing me say that as it's 180 out from my past feelings... maybe I should have listened to my unit elders and just stayed home...
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 08:00 AM   #62
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Hey Rob,

Maybe you should get together with Peter and make a Military Unit, and show the IBT, VAC and all of the other malfunctioning parts of this sinking juggernaut, how to do it correctly! I'm joking, of course.....sort of. I'm guessing you're a Full Bird by now, right? I pinned E-7 this past April. By the way, I'm still grateful to you for coming along with me to get propane at the WalMart, at CBR '06....good conversation.

If ever there were a Military Unit, even if it wasn't sanctioned by the WBCCI (who needs them anyway?), I'd join, and I'm sure that other folks would too.

Approach it this way....a unit open to all Airstreamers, as long as they followed the decorum set by the leadership....holy crap, sounds like Wally!!!!!

V/R,

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 08:24 AM   #63
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Rob
Sorry U had a bad experience,with so many miles traveled and $$$ spent. I have been just sitting back and watching and with my experience with the local Unit president and the comments she made about what they paid at the National in BOZEMAN last yr I decieded never to join if my dues money was being used to fund catered dinners for higherups and free camping. Its not the "down in the trenches "members I have a problem with, you know last yr at Milan there were a bunch of club members there and all were wonderful, its that better than thu attuitude of local presidents and those who aspire to be in the politics of the club that I have a problem with. I dont think Wally would approve of how the club is being run and run down.
Just my opinion from the sidelines.
Hope to see you in Milan this yr
Roger
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 05:58 PM   #64
Rivet Master

1968 30' Sovereign
1959 18' "Footer"
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Brussels , Wisconsin
Wow!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robandzoe View Post
Steve,

Your response to Ed's post was right on. Ed, you must have just left Happy Hour where you had a few too many for your post is not totally accurate... maybe you posted it after the pavement (totally discontent) row departed. Not to burst your bubble, but you are not speaking for all.

Sorry to hear that your time was not as good as mine, or for that matter the bunch of others I spoke with....................

The Post I made was right on and sober. You make of it (the rally) what you are able to.

Sorry to hear that you were on pavement, I been there and done that, still not a real bad deal in my eyes.

Just like I tell my kids, I'm not here to entertain you, go find fun..............

And one other point, manage your manager.

Scott will do fine as the VAC President

As I stated, it was a good rally, and other than Sky Med Seminars there were a bunch of others that were good, shall I list them? No you know what they were or you needed to READ the program.

West Cost VAC????? Man us Midwesterners had a blast too, Hey DC we gathered 6 new members in the WI Unit ( 3 not from WI) we know how to show people we have a good time too.

Sorry you guys had such a bad time but I still stand by my first post..........
59 Traveler
68 Sovereign
Ed Emerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 07:02 PM   #65
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Ed, you must have a vision problem if you can't see that there is a great division in the VAC. I can see that there is never a mention of the vintage rallies in the East. There is never any support or encouragement for anyone trying to promote the vintage rallies in Region 2 or 1. Never a mention in the Vintage section of the Blue Beret.
This Internatioal just showed that for some reason any Vintage from the East are outcast. Don't be suprised if a new camping club springs up among the outcast.
I for one travelled with the WDCU caravan and turned East when they left for Madison.
I'v been there before, not again.
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 08:22 PM   #66
Rivet Master

Tried to tell you!

Rob, Frank,

Real sorry to hear the time you guys had, along with some others was not the best to say the least. I've done three Internationals VT, MO and GA, carried the flag in two of them . Will I ever do another one? I doubt it, but not ruling it out. As for parking vintage or non-vintage, it depends on ones mind set. There are those who feel because they are "vintage" they are in someways cool, better, more fun, or how ever you want to put it, than the other members of the WBCCI. Those that feel that way, are in my opinion, worst than the big wigs on "Gold Row". While in Perry, GA I meet nicer folks in the general parking, than I did in the vintage area. Maybe it was just me or the group that happen to be there that year, that I do not know, nor will ever figure out.

I understand and agree it's up to everyone to make there own fun, but with anything else, we look to those hosting the "party" to help put on the show and to help make the time spent as much fun as they can, wither it means hosting a field-trip, helping to get things for kids to do, providing door prizes, etc... As the host, it's your turn in the barrel, your job.

I do think for many members in the WDCU that go to other events like a Region, Special Event or International Rally they think, they will somehow have the same about of fun and creativity that many of the WDCU and East Coast VAC Rallies have had over the past. In case you don't know, this is not true!

As one of the "unit elders" that tried, I will not say "I told you so, but, I told you so". For some, we must find out the hard way(FRANK) but I know both of you guys had your heart in the right place wanting to represent the WDCU the best you could and for that "I THANK YOU VERY MUCH". I heard you did a great job holdong the flag and would love for someone to post a picture of it.

Maybe next year, you guys will hang back and party with the "East Coast Vintage Rally 2010"

I understand Wayne and Linda put on a great show. Wayne has now passed the "toilet brush" back to MaryKim, Virginia and I for 2010.

I will start working on the dates, place, etc...over the next couple of months so eveything will be nailed down by the end of the year for those that have to put in for vacation at the first of the year, for the year.

Again, THANKS for you guys supporting the WDCU at International, next time, listen to your elders!!
Old 07-06-2009, 08:40 PM   #67
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1970 23' Safari
1956 26' Cruiser Overlander
Lambertville , Michigan
I have never really been one for that kind of politics, but I have to say that it is THICK! I am blessed by being able to turn a blind eye and have fun anyway or, as some would put it..."make lemonade". I am all about lemonade I really love the stuff, but the disrespect, the long look down the nose that I got from some of the VAC higher ups and brown nosing that the wanna"BEs" dish out is sad. I really think that some of these people need professional help so that some day with proper therapy they may be able to go camping and have fun again and perhaps enjoy a cool glass of lemonade. They may even invite some people thay don't know to a cmap fire or a discussion.
All that being said I may go again, I don't really know yet. I will however continue my membership until I get heartburn from it because it was this club and this "intra-club" that earned me and my family some really great friendships and fun times. I was excited to see old friends and meet new old friends for the first time.

More later on the vintage judging.

Yes, I am still working on it.
drag'nwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 08:42 PM   #68
3 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
calgary , alberta
Its time to get along in life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Some times to heal you need to give it time, no offence to my american couisins This is the TIME!!!!

jhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 08:59 PM   #69
Rivet Master

1968 30' Sovereign
1959 18' "Footer"
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Brussels , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shacksman View Post
Ed, you must have a vision problem if you can't see that there is a great division in the VAC. I can see that there is never a mention of the vintage rallies in the East. There is never any support or encouragement for anyone trying to promote the vintage rallies in Region 2 or 1. Never a mention in the Vintage section of the Blue Beret.
This Internatioal just showed that for some reason any Vintage from the East are outcast. Don't be suprised if a new camping club springs up among the outcast.
I for one travelled with the WDCU caravan and turned East when they left for Madison.
I'v been there before, not again.
Doug

Vision, I have vision but more importantly I have tolerance. That is what this is all about.

There is no real division, the East is always represented and has always been a force in the VAC. BUT what I think the East does not like is that the rest of us (West, Midwest, Rocky Mtns, etc) has grown as well. You used to be the big dogs but we caught you! I never hear anyone badmouthing the VAC from the East, heck I know a lot of good people from your area.

Promotion is in your hands, I see a lot of rally information from the east, get the info in Bob Herman’s hands and he will get it in the BB. I know when the CB is or the East Coast VAC rally is and I live in WI, how do I get that info? BB, VA, web. So you are getting your info out somehow.

So why do you say the VAC/East is an outcast at this International? Because the DC Unit was parked on pavement? Along with 800 others? It was all in what place you got in line to go in, hay your hero Pee Wee was on grass!.

A new club, COOL, I will join! But I have been hearing this for YEARS!! Fire it up buddy and let’s see what kind of legs this has.

So you never made it to Madison? Then the way I see it, you have no dog in this race. Participate the way I have over the years and then maybe I will listen to what you have to say (complain) about.

Its all about pulling and going to the rally and making your own fun.
59 Traveler
68 Sovereign
Ed Emerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 09:06 PM   #70
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideair View Post
. . . I know both of you guys had your heart in the right place wanting to represent the wdcu the best you could and for that "i thank you very much". I heard you did a great job holdong the flag and would love for someone to post a picture of it. . . .
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0797.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	83518 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0714.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	83517

Courtesy of AirstreamHobo's blog.

I am proud to belong to the WDCU. And that's all I have to say about that.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:24 PM   #71
Rivet Master

You make me proud!

Rob,

You look GREAT!!! Glad to see you carried that Black WDCU Flag with pride! No one can ever say your heart is not in the best interest of the WDCU or the WBCCI.

Lets only hope that your "style" of dressing will catch on with the rest of the WBCCI unit leaders going forward. It would be little changes like that, that could start to bring this club back to the days of the past.

Hope to see ya soon,

Daica, thanks for posting that picture and you are welcomed to stay in the driveway next week or the cabin if you want.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:37 PM   #72
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1956 26' Cruiser Overlander
1970 23' Safari
Lambertville , Michigan
You know what is great about that picture? I can hear the laugh that goes with the second one!
Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 11:24 PM   #73
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Ed, The area you described as the "Vintage Area" was far from vintage. Unfortunately, the forums will only allow me to upload 10 photos so I could not show you all the units that there was room for. Maybe you can get out your directory and look up the numbers you see and where these folks were from. You might find this rather entertaining and somewhat informative.

Name:	IMG_1788.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	83528

Name:	IMG_1790.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	170.8 KB
ID:	83526

Name:	IMG_1791.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	83525

Name:	IMG_1786.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	83530

Name:	IMG_1787.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	159.9 KB
ID:	83529

Name:	IMG_1789.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	161.6 KB
ID:	83527

Name:	IMG_1783.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	83533

Name:	IMG_1782.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	183.1 KB
ID:	83534

Name:	IMG_1784.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	175.5 KB
ID:	83532

Name:	IMG_1785.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	162.3 KB
ID:	83531

Yes "our beloved Pee Wee" did stay on the grass. He was given a trailer by Airstream to stay in and is one of the ones I pictured above. You will recognize it as the the one with plastic still covering the rock guard and the propane tank cover still in bubble wrap. I flew Dale into Pittsburgh and he camped with me on our caravan out to Madison. I was truly fortunate to have spent that time with him and will cherish it my entire life. I flew him in so all of the club members could experience him and learn a little bit from him.

It is a good thing you recruited new members. Perhaps one of them will fill my shoes, for what I experienced is not something I want to be a part of. My membership in the VAC will laps for certain.

As far as "managing your managers" I spoke with your new president and was told "that is how it goes" and "if you are upset, it is your problem not mine"

Like I said, glad you had a good time. I am glad you enjoyed your space on the grass. Your 1988 looked fabulous there. No worries, in four years it will be considered vintage too.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 11:46 PM   #74
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Emerick View Post
Doug

A new club, COOL, I will join! But I have been hearing this for YEARS!! Fire it up buddy and let’s see what kind of legs this has.
You have been hearing it for years and missing the fact that thousands are already in the club. Haven't you noticed the decline in WBCCI membership. Where do you think they go camping???
1950 Spartan
Old 07-07-2009, 12:07 AM   #75
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Quote:
Doug

So you never made it to Madison? Then the way I see it, you have no dog in this race. Participate the way I have over the years and then maybe I will listen to what you have to say (complain) about.

Its all about pulling and going to the rally and making your own fun.
Sorry, your right. I have no dog in this race so I'll leave you now to camp my own way. Thanks for pointing this out. 50 nights in the trailer so far this year and no politcs.
1950 Spartan
Old 07-07-2009, 03:47 AM   #76
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Sorry to hear that your time was not as good as mine, or for that matter the bunch of others I spoke with....................You make of it (the rally) what you are able to.
Ed, none of us on the pavement had a bad time... we all had a great time, making our own fun... as I said "in spite of the International"

Quote:
Just like I tell my kids, I'm not here to entertain you, go find fun..............
Problem is... I don't need to pay $415 for the opportunity "find my own fun" If this is the "value" offered by the club, I guarantee that it will keep losing more members than it is gaining.

Quote:
And one other point, manage your manager...Scott will do fine as the VAC President
Tried that... and got the response noted in my previous post. Seems to me that if the VAC board is going to disregard the bylaws, it should be for a good result... so far, I would have been just as well off with nobody in charge.

Quote:
Sorry to hear that you were on pavement, I been there and done that, still not a real bad deal in my eyes.
For me it was $83 a night for rally hook-ups on asphalt... not a bad deal???? Come on Ed.... you can't really believe that.

Quote:
So why do you say the VAC/East is an outcast at this International? Because the DC Unit was parked on pavement? Along with 800 others? It was all in what place you got in line to go in, hay your hero Pee Wee was on grass!.
Ed, how does that work? Our place in line? As I said before... 10 trailers on the the grass... then the WDCU caravan onto the pavement... then 50 more trailers on the grass... sounds like it didn't matter where we got in line. ...and yes, Airstream parked PeeWee on the grass, but because of the good guy he is, he joined us on pavement for some good ole fashion camping fun.

Quote:
Sorry you guys had such a bad time but I still stand by my first post..........
Ed, as I (and others) have said... we had a great time... no thanks to anything put on by the WBCCI.
https://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 04:13 AM   #77
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by drag'nwagon View Post
I was excited to see old friends and meet new old friends for the first time.
Dave, we were happy to cross paths with the drag'nwagon clan... We'll definitely be doing the same in the future. Luckily there is something to treat that heartburn.... "camping fun!"
https://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 04:28 AM   #78
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Man o man has this thread been highjacked...

I personally am very glad I went to International. The experience taught me a lot. I once again was taught to listen to my my elders, to learn from them.

I learned a great deal about human nature also. Unfortunately, it was a hard lesson to swallow. It was kind of like Limburger cheese, some people love it and others just think it smells really bad.

I am going to do as Ed told me. He is also my elder. I will just shut up and go camping. But in this volatile time for the club, it won't be at another International. I now understand things much clearer. My eyes are now wide open.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 07:06 AM   #79
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
This thread hijacking has been an eye reopening experience. Every time Amy and I think about joining the WBCCI and VAC I read threads like this and think twice. I appreciate what the WBCCI originally stood for, and the spirit that many Airstreamers try and uphold, but I do not believe there is a place for politicking in camping. I have been to Airstream events that I have such a good time that I don't want to leave. I am sure we have all had that experience on more than one occasion. I want to experience that when I am camping, and not irritation about how I was treated.

Steve

Steve
Old 07-07-2009, 07:21 AM   #80
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiermedic View Post
I have been to Airstream events that I have such a good time that I don't want to leave. I am sure we have all had that experience on more than one occasion. I want to experience that when I am camping, and not irritation about how I was treated.

Steve
I have that experience on every occasion.

too bad that it doesn't appear to be available to you. I'd say to put in for a transfer to Devens...but they closed it.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote