Old 07-18-2012, 03:52 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
How many of us complain about Chinese products then go buy at Walmart and such? There are American-made products available and would be a heck of a lot more if we rejected this stuff. Look at the label, if it's not "Made in U.S.A.", toss it back.

Complaining about these uniforms is a fool's message if we don't take responsibility for our own buying habits. Forget politics, only we can fix our economy and have the power to do it with a shopping cart.

Start today.

doug k
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater View Post
Well said. It's easy to sit and say buy American, but it's actually rather hard to buy USA for a LOT of goods. Such as the computer we're all using (whether it's a phone, tablet, laptop, or desktop)...the components mostly (if not all) come from China.
Hi, of course Wal-Mart is filled with items from China, but so are the so called upper scale stores like Nordstrom's too. Would you like to buy an $800.00 blouse from Nordstrom's that is also made in China? I bought some egg pans from Macy's, but had to return them due to a design defect; Macy's made labels to cover up the made in China printed on the box. [I peeled one off] Wal-Mart has become an easy target for things made in China, but every store sells items made in China. [or parts within]

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:28 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Scottsdale , Arizona
just curious....where are the WBCCI berets made??????

hmmmm ...

Old 07-19-2012, 06:15 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, of course Wal-Mart is filled with items from China, but so are the so called upper scale stores like Nordstrom's too. Would you like to buy an $800.00 blouse from Nordstrom's that is also made in China? I bought some egg pans from Macy's, but had to return them due to a design defect; Macy's made labels to cover up the made in China printed on the box. [I peeled one off] Wal-Mart has become an easy target for things made in China, but every store sells items made in China. [or parts within]
Yeah. I didn't mean to pick on Wal-Mart specifically. How many clothing manufacturers do we even have here in the US any more?

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:11 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Here's some. Use them.

Made in America: The short list - CNN.com

doug k
Old 07-19-2012, 09:23 AM   #19
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested View Post
I agree that I like to see products made in the USA and I like employing as many Americans as we can, perhaps at the exclusion of earning less profits but certainly creating security for more people like our own neighbors first and foremost before outsourcing or relying heavily on trade. I am thinking Ralph does other business where ever he contracted for these items. How 'bout those Ralph Lauren Airstreams!!! Still on topic mods! Yessirie.
Of course, my All-American Airstream Interstate was built on a Mercedes Benz Sprinter chassis that was made in Dusseldorf, Germany according to the VIN.

And just to add fuel to the fire, the Fiamma F65 awning and Project 2000 retractable step on my Interstate were made in Italy. The Nova Kool refrigerator is Canadian, eh. The SMEV propane stove is British. The Kenwood/Garmin head unit in the dashboard is made by Kenwood Corporation of Japan, though sold by Kenwood USA.

And, just to cap it all off, the Ultraleather upholstery is made in China at the Changyi Yuhua Textile Materials Company.

I love my German/Italian/Canadian/British/Japanese/Chinese/American Airstream Interstate. I'm just glad that it doesn't include any appliances made by Dometic, or I'd have to add Swedish to the list of nationalities. That would be really confusing.

I don't much care for Ralph Lauren apparel, but I don't see any reason to put him down for not always using American-made, when even an American icon like Airstream doesn't always buy American-made components, either.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 01:25 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
I see no reason to criticize Ralph Lauren. I didn't even know the designed uniforms weren't being made in America when I started the thread before the press seized upon the story. We have lots of made in America thread twists. That wasn't my point. I just thought the similarities between his new design for the Olympics and the design of the WBCCI uniforms was strikingly the same. Right down to the emblem on the beret, it looks alot like what the WBCCI wears.

Name:   america_comes.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  8.9 KB

Name:   america2.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  28.2 KB

Name:   americanimages.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  7.2 KB

I love what he did with the Airstreams. I wonder if he is an Airstream fan.

Classic Driver - MAGAZINE - Classic Life

Click image for larger version

Name:	iAmerican3.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	163507

Name:   american4.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  15.8 KB

Name:	american5.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	163509
Old 07-20-2012, 08:09 PM   #21
J C Eaton

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Leonardtown , Maryland
While I do appreciate American made products--when they are made well--I don't see the need to always buy American. We simply can't make cheap things cheaply enough in the scale that American consumers want them. Frankly, I really pay attention to things that my life may depend upon working correctly or I want to have for a long time And then, as my Grandfather taught me, I buy the best I can afford. And I really try to pay attention to where my food is from...nothing from China there. Medical supplies, etc, the same. Tow vehicle is a Toyota, though a diesel Chevy was close...
To keep things in perspective, however, China produces about 15% of the worlds manufactured goods. And a lot of those are assembled from imported parts that the Chinese can't make in quantity and quality at a competitive price. They are not the leader, percentage wise. Who is, you ask? The USA, with 21%...in spite of a massive government debt, run away regulations, etc. Buying American is great--but voting for folks who will limit government and are pro (small) business would be better. By the way, there are some on both sides of the aisle today, but not enough...
Back on topic--the uniforms look very Ralph Lauren. A good designer should have his customer in mind, not himself. He failed miserably in that respect. In his defense, they are relatively classic in their lines...much like our Airstreams. Drop the beret and they would be just fine.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:31 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
There's an interesting piece in the WSJ today about when push comes to shove, Chinese products contribute considerably less than to our GNP when you factor in wages paid to sales people, shippers, etc in the over all scheme of things. I certainly don't think that the fact that Ralph Lipshitz (his real name) gave $37500 to the DNC had anything to do with this flap.

The RL trailers were photographed on his ranch north of Telluride.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:37 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1958 26' Overlander
Portland , Oregon
???????????
Old 07-21-2012, 08:09 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
This thread has become a political endorsement/debate.

doug k
Old 07-21-2012, 10:53 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Carolina Low Country , South Carolina
If you shop at Stein Mart, I suggest you read the labels...China is prominant
Old 07-21-2012, 03:50 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
"You might not like what I have to say, but it's the truth."

Hi, personally, I think the Berets look stupid and I would never wear one. But I respect the special military groups who wear them. [my opinion]

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 04:07 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
What about beanies? Guess you never got indoctrinated as a Brownie... Brutal is teasing from 7 year old boys! After that you could wear anything...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	brownie_d043.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	15.9 KB
ID:	163591   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lady-Gaga5.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	163593  

Name:	Lady-Gaga-Captains-Cap.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	163594  
Old 07-24-2012, 11:32 AM   #28
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
If you try to think of a beanie as a brimless ball cap it's somehow more fetching....

Keeping in mind that I've never been accused of having a lick of fashion sense (fair warning), I actually like the Olympic Berets. They look kind of jaunty and unlike cowboy hats of recent memory, you can see the athletes faces.

For all the razing that the WBCCI beanie get, keep in mind that we have a long history of wearing weird head gear in the US for various occasions.... It's a time honored tradition

Name:	head 1.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	163808 Click image for larger version

Name:	head 2.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	15.9 KB
ID:	163809

Name:	head 3.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	163810 
Name:   head 4.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  19.6 KB

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote