Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2004, 01:15 PM   #161
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Survey Thoughts Phred wrote:

Survey Thoughts

See attached file.....

Fred:

Could you check out the url?

I could only get the cover page to open....

Thanks,

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 01:27 PM   #162
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Thumbs up Atta Boy!

I was hoping you would post that.

good to hear it from some one as prominent as you within the WBCCI.

Thanks!

Smily
smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 01:43 PM   #163
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Hey I want to read this but when I click on attachment I get:

"No attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the webmaster"

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 02:10 PM   #164
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Re: Airstream Parks

Quote:
Originally posted by pyanke
Hey Porky, when you get to the Airstream Park in Clear Lake MN, look me up. I have a permanent site there. B37. I'll buy the first round. Its a real nice place. We stayed there in the fall of2002, in the SOB area. Loved the park. Bought an Airstream. Sold the new SOB. Bought a share in the park. Half of my retirement plan is in place and I get to use now.
Sounds good Pete ... I'm good for the second round ... hope you enjoy Guinness.

I like your retirement plan.

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 — Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 06:33 PM   #165
2 Rivet Member

Thoughts on Survey

See attached thoughts after 20 years as member. (Right click on attachment underlined below and click "open")
Attached Files
File Type: doc survey, not phred sez.doc (23.5 KB, 162 views)
phred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 06:49 PM   #166
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Here, Here!!!

Wow Phred! Well Put! Now that is the most logical, reasoned argument for change from a long time member I have ever read.

Did you send that to the Big Honchos? I wonder if they will REALLY listen? I think the absolute refusal to move the date of the International Rally really shows how they feel about change. And the name issue, I predict, will also be smothered. But maybe I will be proven wrong. I wonder?

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 06:51 PM   #167
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Thumbs up Re: Thoughts on Survey

Quote:
Originally posted by phred
See attached thoughts after 20 years as member. (Right click on attachment underlined below and click "open")
Fred or is it Phred

Good read! especially about the mouse click generation. And it is only going to get more so. I travel around 200-250 days a year, and only get minimal vacation time. About 90% of my communication with anybody is thru cell phone, email, chat or some other electronic means. I only get my Snail Mail about once every couple of weeks...if I am lucky. I love paper magazines but they can be a pain to take with you. I love the PDF Format mags that can be printed off if I wish, or saved to a disk for later enjoyment and reference. BTW I will be joining the WBCCI and the VAC as soon as I get hooked back up with the unit I have been comunicating with. The WBCCI is only going to get changed by the people working from the inside. I have yet to meet anybody that I have had email contact with...yet, but it is obvious where the changes are going to come from. Yes I am going to be in for the long haul.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 07:02 PM   #168
2 Rivet Member

Thanks for your comments.

My concern is that the committee reviewing the survey will not have (a majority)-(a minority)-(well just one) member(s) who is still working or has not yet joined WBCCI. That is who we are trying to attract.

Fred
phred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 07:26 PM   #169
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Well Said Phred!!

Outstanding - - and Karma!

Add my name to the petition and forward it to the WBCCI Airstream RV Association Honchos!

WBCCI Member at Large

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 07:38 PM   #170
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Thumbs up

Nice job ..Phred-Fred.

I hope the folks at WBCCI will listen and take action instead of digging in their heels.

As mentioned, Petunia and I will be joining .. but as members-at-large. I'm not sure how we can help change the club without being affiliated with a unit.

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 — Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 08:17 PM   #171
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
Phred

For those of you who do not recognize the "Phred" from above..
He is the author of the article in the monthly BB titled "Phred Sez".

Phred is genuinly a good man. He is also the first WBCCI member that ever talked to me at a WBCCI rally. Took me under his wing so to speak for my first Rally. I will never forget it.

And best of all, guess what Unit of the WBCCI he is a member and two time Past President of?

You guessed it............

Smily
Old 02-11-2004, 09:12 PM   #172

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I don't know if the WBCCI wants to change, or if it should. When I pointed out my concerns about what limits me as a working member from participating more, the response I got from local leadership was that it is a Caravan Club, and if I am not able to participate, then maybe I am the one who should be changing, not the WBCCI. The people in it enjoy it just fine the way it is. Which is hard to argue with. I don't want to be messing with someone elses good time. I guess it all depends on how badly the WBCCI wants my dues in the coming years.

What I really want is a weekend camping club that I can join up with when convenient, but that's not what the WBCCI is. I'm not sure they want to hear my opinion, and it's been stated here many times by every working person on the forum - surely the word must have gotten to the people at the top by now.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 09:16 PM   #173
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Re: Thoughts on Survey

Quote:
Originally posted by phred
Bravo, Phred. I agree wholeheartedly. I just hope change can come before the club dwindles top the point that we lose those fine ladies that do the grunt work for us.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 11:11 PM   #174
Rivet Master

Aurora , Colorado
Thumbs up Excellent

Phred,

That sums it up pretty darn good, and it sounds even better coming from a veteran Airstreamer such as yourself. Thanks.

Forrest
Old 02-11-2004, 11:16 PM   #175
Rivet Master

Aurora , Colorado
Smile WBCCI forum

BTW,

Everyone should check out the new forum on the WBCCI website. I wrote their webmaster asking how long it has been up and running and was told it has only been a few weeks. It will be formally announced in the February issue of the Blue Beret. This is a good thing, it shows that progress is already being made and I'm encouraged by it.

Forrest
Old 02-12-2004, 03:45 AM   #176
nds
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Stefrobrts
When I pointed out my concerns about what limits me as a working member from participating more, the response I got from local leadership was that it is a Caravan Club, and if I am not able to participate, then maybe I am the one who should be changing, not the WBCCI.
Was this recently or some time back?

This attitude is just the thing that needs to change. smily has pointed out that the South Carolina Unit he belongs to has changed but, as its been pointed out, that's just one Unit among how many Nation-wide?

Perhaps the lack of participation and the declining numbers has caused the WBCCI to smell the coffee.
nds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 06:25 AM   #177
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
Repetition

Things are getting a litlle repetitious now.

Stef, as many have written in this thread, The WBCCI does have weekend events, more of them than caravans I assure you.

I think it is safe to say that most WBCCI members on this forum will agree that they have attended more weekend events than Caravans. Anybody?

As for changing, it is not necessarily a change that is the focus, but improvement is. Compliment the caravanning with events geared towards Working Family Generation, (WFG). Even as suggested, expand the WBCCI or "Airstream RV Association" to have both, a caravan intraclub and a intraclub that prefers weekend unitized camping. (which already exists, just not as an intraclub, they are the backbone of the WBCCI).

If you read Phreds thoughts, you will see in twenty years, he has been attending unit events as compared to caravans. Ask him how many of these events were in excess of three days, (Weekend days). I have never been on a caravan, I have been to over twenty weekend events and only twice to an event that was in excess of three days, (State Rallies).

maybe a poll is in order to see how many WBCCI members attend Unit rallies and how many caravan. The only problem with surveys in this forum is that the age median is lower than the overall membership of the WBCCI. I am guessing that a majority of the members of this forum, fit into the WFG.

If the median age of the WBCCI were lower, then it would evolve faster due to a majority rule. The problem lies as it always has, the WFG is deterred from joining a club that is directed by the senior community.

There is some of the senior community that may be a little resistant to the WFG directing things but I believe they are a minority. The beauty of the WBCCI is that most of the senior members have been members for up to forty years, on average, at least ten years. Therefore, that is strong indication that they too joined while they were WFG. This leads me to believe that the majority is receptive to the current WFG and they would be very excited about some new blood and a variety of things to do during the Rallies, (local, state, regional and international).

If the current membership does not receive some dilution, the strong will always be strong.

I believe that the movement is picking up speed but as Phred has pointed out, we can sometimes get a little impatient in todays society. We all too often expect off the shelf results. We have lost site of building things ourselves. Remember when we had to add with pencils instead of calculators? Remember when we had to get out the encyclopaedia instead of the internet?

The WBCCI is completely voluntary and non profit. It has been built from members and will have to be remodeled by the members. Voluntary local members.

The whole thing is a tree, the roots and the leaves are what make it grow. As the tree grows, it gets more sunlight and grows even faster. The tree cannot grow without either.
So whether you choose to be a leaf or a root, we cannot grow with out you.

Come on and grow with us.

Smily
Old 02-12-2004, 07:48 AM   #178
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Just curious: is this the same "Phred" that wrote the "poop sheets by Phred"....or is that a different "Phred"?
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 08:21 AM   #179
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Chuck,

The world famous two twins Phred and Phred (see later post)

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 09:14 AM   #180

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Re: Repetition

Quote:
Originally posted by smily
So whether you choose to be a leaf or a root, we cannot grow with out you.

My comments to the president were this year, right after he was appointed and wrote a letter to everyone saying what a great year he was hoping we would all have, and that he wanted everyone's input. So that's what I offered, along with volunteering my help. I figure you can't ask for change and not offer to be involved as well. Lets just say it wasn't as well received as I would have liked. However some other members have been very supportive of my ideas.

It was all very polite, but it pretty much ended in a challenge to prove that there ARE any young people with AS out there, which is why I have been encouraging people who want a fun weekend campout to come to the Newberry Crater Rally in August. At the very least the unit will see that if you schedule an event like that, there are people who will come.

I'm still in the club for now, but lets just say that it's a chicken and the egg thing - They don't want to plan events for active, younger people if there aren't any in the club, but younger folks won't join if there aren't any activities for them. That's where I think it will be hard for the change to really happen, at the unit level.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote