Old 02-10-2004, 10:31 AM   #113
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Airstream simplicity

I am proud but not ashamed to admit that I too use the "Airstream Club" reference for simplicity.

I will go but I will consider it compromise,

Change the name to better the club, but what are you going to do in the interest of compromise?

See it is not that hard

Smily

Old 02-10-2004, 10:32 AM   #114
nds
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rluhr
The average RV buyer's age across the industry is age 49. It is true that the highest Airstream ownership group is currently 55+ but that is rapidly changing. The fastest-growing group of Airstream buyers are aged 35-54 (mostly Baby Boomers). They are snapping up the International CCDs in record numbers.
Then, that settles it. The entertainment should be provided by the Grateful Dead and afternoon crafts switched from making pot holders/aprons to water bongs/incense holders

All kidding aside, perhaps the members of this forum should consider forming regional groups of forum members that are located near by. Start planning outings together and after a period of time try to arrange a huge rally, centrally located, for a National Rally open to the entire Message Board.

Old 02-10-2004, 10:33 AM   #115
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I'd have to agree. The current median age of ownership has fallen in the last few years alone. At this point, the factory is going beyond full speed right now and considering adding more per build. I went to the RV show here in Chicago and the thing that I saw most was a bunch of younger folks looking at these things (not just Airstreams). I would estimate that at this years show, for every 65ish person there were at least twenty 30 somethings in attendence. The numbers were similar to what I saw last year at the RV show as well.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 10:34 AM   #116
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally posted by nds

All kidding aside, perhaps the members of this forum should consider forming regional groups of forum members that are located near by. Start planning outings together and after a period of time try to arrange a huge rally, centrally located, for a National Rally open to the entire Message Board.
I think that has already been done and is going to happen again this year, perhaps twice. Jack has been the one to help get us together here in the Midwest.

Eric
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Old 02-10-2004, 10:36 AM   #117
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
Quote:
can you honestly say that the industry magazines are not predominatley senior oriented?
There's no doubt that many segments of the RV industry are senior-oriented. Seniors continue to be a major portion of the market and they probably spend more on RV-travel-related items than working folks because they have more time on the road.

But the wise marketers in the industry (including magazines like Trailer Life, and manufacturers like Airstream) are looking at the latest RV Industry Association statistics and realizing that the Boomers are the key to the future. See for example Trailer Life "Mail Box", pg. 10-11, February 2004. It notes that "More RVs are now owned by baby boomers (35 to 54-year-olds) than any other group."

You don't need a member survey to know where things are going. Anyone who wants to have a future in the RV industry needs to be re-inventing themselves to appeal to Baby Boomers TODAY.

-- RL

PS: Ken, I will make best efforts to show up at one of your rallies as I drive through S. Carolina in mid-March. I'll be there with a bottle of Southern Shine and a rag, for you!

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 10:39 AM   #118
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Quote:
Originally posted by rluhr
The fastest-growing group of Airstream buyers are aged 35-54 (mostly Baby Boomers).
There's something wrong with that. I don't know the official dates But I am 36 AND most defintely a Gen Xer and NOT a Boomer, thank god. That gen is big enough.

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 10:40 AM   #119
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I'm an Xer.
Old 02-10-2004, 10:47 AM   #120
Site Team

, Minnesota
Baby boomers

The baby boomer generation is the age group 40 - 58. The age group cited previous (35 to 54) is 'mostly' baby boomers. We're ok with some GenXrs, as long as they are willing to work longer while the rest of us continue to suck SS dry.
Old 02-10-2004, 10:50 AM   #121
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Re: Baby boomers

Quote:
Originally posted by markdoane
We're ok with some GenXrs, as long as they are willing to work longer while the rest of us continue to suck SS dry.
Old 02-10-2004, 10:58 AM   #122
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Carolina Low Country , South Carolina
Blue Beret Survey

Well,
We have been (official) WBCCI members since last Saturday. Initiated in Lexington, SC. at the wonderful wknd. Rally held by our unit the SCC unit. We had a GREAT time, were made welcome immediately, learned lots about our "new" 1993 Excella that we had just purchased the week before, met a warm special group of people.
They were very helpful with our Airstream ??'s...we could not get that in a SOB club...could we...all were friendly, there was a good mix of ages, as we also are of the working set. They had a special speaker one night, a real treat. We are GLAD we joined!
We look forward to many Rallies with this group!!
ps. thanks to Smillie for getting us to go to this rally!
We saw a great Vintage trailer at this Rally, if the Vintage are separated from the newer trailers, then we would not get that opportunity.
As new Airstreamers we look forward to meeting lots of wonderful people of ALL ages..the older generation has a lot of experience/knowledge to contribute to the groups. The younger generation has lots of energy and kids to help keep us all thinking/acting young. I think we are in the middle somewhere. I believe that the group should have all ages in it.
As for the "Club" well I am sure we are too 'new' to know very much, but I sure see a lot of complaining on this forum..too bad.. lighten up ...
Old 02-10-2004, 11:05 AM   #123
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Re: Blue Beret Survey

Quote:
Originally posted by kmtyme
As for the "Club" well I am sure we are too 'new' to know very much, but I sure see a lot of complaining on this forum..too bad.. lighten up ...
As it has been discussed, what happens in South Carolina is not typical of what is going on around the country. I don't look at this thread as a complaining thread. In fact, of all the hundreds of posts on the subject across the various threads, I think this thread is the most calm, respectful and helpful threads that have been discussed on the forums.

I've PMd kmtyme additional comments offline.
Old 02-10-2004, 11:06 AM   #124
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Carolina Low Country , South Carolina
Blue Beret Survey

oh, one more thing, I do agree that it would be nice to have shorter caravans.
3 days to 10 days...10 days would include 2 wknds..maybe even two weeks...as working folks it is impossible to go away for a month or two...
Old 02-10-2004, 11:10 AM   #125
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Re: Blue Beret Survey

Quote:
Originally posted by kmtyme
oh, one more thing, I do agree that it would be nice to have shorter caravans.
3 days to 10 days...10 days would include 2 wknds..maybe even two weeks...as working folks it is impossible to go away for a month or two...
kmtyme even being as new as can be has in a matter of minutes brought up one of (not the only one) the largest issues......
Old 02-10-2004, 11:26 AM   #126
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
SC

It happens in SC because we make it happen.

we are no different than any other WBCCI, we have the same guidlines as ALL the WBCCI. We choose to make something of the unit and we are successful. Ther is no one from the headquarters coming down and doing it for us, there is no luck involved, there is no, Tourism agency or anything like that doing the legwork for us, just good people coming together and having a good time.

As it is stated, It is what you make of it!

I recall a time when Silvertwinkie was excited about being a member too. I am sorry that the unit you joined was not up to your expectations.

Smily