Old 02-09-2004, 12:36 PM   #71
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Grandparents

There are many granparents in the 40 to 60 age range.

A lot of them!

Smily

Old 02-09-2004, 12:44 PM   #72
nds
3 Rivet Member

Don't get me wrong. I'm not knocking or picking at the WBCCI. Only pointing out my view or interpretation of the club as I see it.

As many have pointed out, if you're not currently a member you're invited to attend a rally and decide for yourself if it addresses your needs or interests.

I'm just thinking if there was a way to break down sub-units in age groups, where people are more likely to have more common interests, it would help the WBCCI to attract more members.

Again, maybe I'm just not entirely understanding the way these clubs are set up.

Old 02-09-2004, 01:39 PM   #73
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Quote:
Originally posted by nds
I'm just thinking if there was a way to break down sub-units in age groups, where people are more likely to have more common interests, it would help the WBCCI to attract more members.
Another excellent idea to improve the club! There really ought to be units for people in their 20s,30s, and 40s and a different unit for 50s, 60s, and 70s. Both units could join each other in activities but I think the interests are varied enough to warrant each group. There would be more interest from younger generations if they felt they were not the only ones in a unit.

If the WBCCI really is reading this thread, then they will get many great ideas. I wonder if it will have any effect? For instance, I have been told that people have tried over the years to change the date of International and have been totally rebuffed. (Oh, but it's Wally's B-day) So members have tried to change the club but flexibility from old ways is not always welcome?

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 01:48 PM   #74
2 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
New Smyrna Beach , Florida
I know by reading the many postings on this subject that AGE might be a major factor. However, I don't think it should be the primary factor in restructuring the club. I am in my 50s and I'll bet I can stay up with alot of 20 year olds. I run 35-40 miles (sub 7 min/mile) a week, bike, hike and kayak in the ocean. So, PLEASE don't put in the old gizzer rocking chair group.
Old 02-09-2004, 01:55 PM   #75
nds
3 Rivet Member

LOL!

The idea of age groups is just so people would know there are going to be people with similar interests. Apparently, you'd fit in well at one of the younger rallies.
Old 02-09-2004, 01:56 PM   #76
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
PGA

Kinda like the Tour huh?

When the seniors can no longer compete, they are ushered into the Senior Tour.

You may be onto something there, but I dont think segregation is conducive to the health of any club. I could be wrong, the Boy Scouts dont play with the Girl Scouts,(officially), but that is two seperate clubs is it not?

Well, one thing is certain, you can always make the recommendation for a Sub-unit when you go to nexts months meeting. Or you can send an email to www.WBCCI.org and ask them about sub-units.

One of the existing, successful, sub-units is the VAC.

Is your unit a Vintage?

Smily
Old 02-09-2004, 02:57 PM   #77
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
I don't think actual dividing lines for the age groups making spin-offs is the way to go IMHO.

If you have rally plans that have something for a segment of your membership then the members that are interested will attend regardless of their "real" age. If your rallies have a varied length, or activities that appeal then you will have attendance. Period.

I am a firm believer in posting the information on rally plans as soon as is practical for the members to see so they can decide if what is slated interests them. We even added a line to the info we sent to Headquarters that gave a brief description of our rally and a main even we were doing, like our January Lighthouse tour.

Not to air dirty laundry, but I know the rally schedule for Sarasota has been pretty much set, but I have no idea what it is. I would like to have a chance to review it before I arrive so I can plan accordingly.

We have had visitors to every rally so far this rally season form other units. I think that is a sign that we are doing something right.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 03:10 PM   #78
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by Big Dee

Another excellent idea to improve the club! There really ought to be units for people in their 20s,30s, and 40s and a different unit for 50s, 60s, and 70s. Both units could join each other in activities but I think the interests are varied enough to warrant each group. There would be more interest from younger generations if they felt they were not the only ones in a unit.
Excellent idea! Our unit exists because it split off from a unit that didn't do anything. Our unit is getting long in the tooth now and it may be time for some younger folks to start a new unit in our area.

Get a group together (this forum is a good way to do it) and form your own unit. It isn't magic! It has been done more than once. Thirty years from now, some other "young'uns" will think you are too old and do the same.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 03:48 PM   #79
4 Rivet Member

I avoided the Blue Beret threads because I have seen a copy and couldn't imagine anything productive to be posted about it.
But somehow I stumbled in and I have found all this to be fascinating. Nothing like a good free-for-all once in awhile.

There is so much I don't know about that saving or killing or taking over the WBCCI is the farthest thing from my interest for now.

Since so few of us actually know the demographics of the others on this forum and others, it is a bit difficult to put each opinion in context. I do know that when certain posters take to condescending remarks or telling others to "put a sock in it" or the like that. they lose much creditability with me. I hear that posters have been thrown out of this forum for far less.

I have tried to follow the thread and will continue to and sure as tomorrows dawn I will eventually have an opinion.
So what.

*Someone said there were a dozen threads on this or very similar subject. Is that on Blue Beret or on WBCCI philosophy and demise? It would be so helpful and forum-friendly if folks who make such statements would post a list of those links.

I don't mind running my own searches but what keyword should I use??
dissent, old geezers, WBCCI, BlueBeret, Carolina party animals, revolutionarys, mutiny, age discrimination, Wally world, 4th of July,
lawn chairs, wheel chairs, bocce ball, incontinence, medicare, or Soylent Green

In the meantime here are some terms that I have come across in this thread that I would appreciate someone defining for me.

Samboree

three point hitch

marquee club (as opposed to caravan club)

Quote:
Silvertwinkie said:
" 4) One last thing that I find funny above all else. This discussion has been going on for over a year now on this forum alone (as far as I can tell).......><=SNIP=><

5) This thread has gotten way off topic and should be split into one of the existing 12 other threads hashing out this problem. "
Old 02-09-2004, 04:11 PM   #80
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Is this forum great or what???

I have really enjoyed this discussion. I know it has been discussed before but it is nice to continue it here. It is fascinating to watch how a club evolves, if it does.

Jaco-
Samboree = Good Sam RV Club's Rallies

3 point hitch??? But 3 point hook ups = sewer, elect, & water

Marquee Club = Club devoted to a brand, anything to do with it (club devoted to caravaning= caravan club)

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 04:15 PM   #81
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Jaco,

Samboree = Good Sam Rally. Run by the Good Sam club.

Three Point Hookup =Sewer (1) Water (2) and Electric (3)

Marquee Club= an Enthusiast's club like a Miata club, or BMW Motorcycle club that is more about the hardware than the rallies/caravans. Normally pertains to the type of publication that is put out by the club too. Lots of glossy photos and profiles of a car or bike in these examples, not so much the folks that own them. This is my understanding, please jump in and correct me if I am wrong.

The best search term I can think of is WBCCI There have been a number of threads on this subject and the discussion sometimes gets a bit heated. I personally see both sides, but I am an ardent supporter of the club. It's kinda like being a married guy. You want all your single Friends to get married too so you have a something in common again

Moderator hat on:
The forum policies will be enforced. The free exchange of ideas will lead to some members to express themselves in a way that may not be pleasing to others. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. The expression of that opinion is not to be censored or limited by the forum unless it sinks to personal attacks or insults. Ideas can be debated, beat on, or cheered for, that is what the forum is about. I have not see anything in this thread that "crosses the line". If a complaint is registered by a member due to content of a post it will be looked into by the Moderators and appropriate action will be taken. That may be the editing of the post, deletion of the post, or banishment of the member depending on the circumstances.
Moderator hat off:

I understand that this will always be an issue that is going to rile up some members. My self included. But I feel that it needs to be discussed to better educate and inform.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 04:40 PM   #82
4 Rivet Member

Oh and then there is this type of "club":
Oh how I wish I could go back and join that one.
Somehow it makes the others so insignificant.
Whatever your club or if you happen to be a lone wolf don't "overlook the orchids" i.e. stop and smell the Roses.

Joining the Club!!!
We just stepped from tent camping to trailering. We bought a 1972 25' Tradewind. We are from Florida and drove to Alabama to pick it up. Decided to go to the smokies for our first night.

My kids had never seen snow...well when we woke up our new pride and joy was covered with snow. What a great weekend.

If I didn't do anything else with this trailer, it was enough to see the joy in my kids eyes.

We bought this trailer (had to be an Airstream) for a 2 month trip we are taking out west this September/October to see the Alamo, Grand Canyon, Mesa Verde, Yellowstone, Mt. Rushmore and whatever else we find in between or after.
ssolid
Old 02-09-2004, 05:03 PM   #83
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I was on the "Airstreamer" forum and found that in fact WBCCI now has it's own forum as well. What better place to start a discussion on revamping WBCCI......BTW, I agree I think it would be a bad idea to split up the groups by age...but that's just my opinion.

Eric

http://www.wbcci.org/Forum/

PS- Nice touch, very modern thinking, but maybe it's just for the PC since I have not been able to get IE or Safari to work with it at all on a Mac this evening.......
Old 02-09-2004, 05:32 PM   #84
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Talking I like to hang with older folks ... makes me look younger.

I think having an intraclub base upon age is a bad idea. Intraclubs should be established upon a specified interest .. as it is now .. VAC, Classics, Amateur Radio, etc.

Which leads me to the thought ... why not a Caravan intraclub ... and name it the Wally Byam Caravan Club ... with the national club reorganizing under a new name ... and focus ... something with the name Airstream in the title.

Oh .. it isn't marquee club ... it is marque ...

I have spent a few wild evenings closing the Marquee Club.

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote