Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2004, 08:19 AM   #261
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
We just atteneded a meeting on this very subject yesterday during the Potlatch Salmon Rally in Washington.

This group is painfully aware that the ranks are shrinking. A real shame ... these folks and the ones that came before them have labored long and hard to build something of value ... but they are concerned about who is going to carry on after them.

By the way ... the members of the Washington Unit are pretty cool. We have yet to see a blue beret or bolo tie on anyone. And at 4PM ... everyone gathers for a true happy hour ... beer and wine for everyone!

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 — Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 08:24 PM   #262
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky Pig
By the way ... the members of the Washington Unit are pretty cool. We have yet to see a blue beret or bolo tie on anyone.
Hey wait a sec, berets can be kind of cool, especially when worn slouched off to the side (and not plopped on the head like a mushroom cap), preferrably with an ascot for men, a chiffon scarf and sun glasses for women. Cigarette hung from lips (lit or not lit) optional.

Bolos are tougher, since they are so hard to wear with an ascot. Maybe remove the string, insert a safety pin and use it as a kind of cravat pin.

Neither prompts me to want to read the magazine, though.

Mary
fireflyinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 09:59 AM   #263
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewkid64
I have it from a reliable source that the prelim designs are in the pipeline. When it will be released is not a solid date, but it is coming. I think it is time, more people are aware of the Airstream style. Look at the popularity of the Mini Cooper, etc. there are buyers, they just need to pony up and the product will stay available. If they buyers don't buy, the product will fade away just like the previous ones did.

Funny you should mention that...the CEO of Airstream gave a talk at our rally, and he mentioned both the classic motorhome, AND the "mini-cooper". When asked directly, he said that they hope to have the prototype of the new classic MH at next year's international rally in St. Louis. He also said that it would not be "exactly" like the classic mh's we all know, but very similar looking, much the way the "mini" and the new "beetle" are new, but highly reminiscent of their predecessors.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 10:06 AM   #264
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over59
When you walk around the Region One Rally what you see is alot of retired people.
There were alot of kids, too. In fact, one of the "international" past/present 2nd or 3rd grand poo-bah's in attendance commented that he hadn't seen so many kids at a rally in ages.
Quote:
If it were not for them there would be no rally. There are younger people acitve in Charter Oak but clearly the majority of participants and I suspect "workers" are the older crowd.
The guy in charge was <40, a third-generation wally-ite, with 2 young children.

Quote:
Unfortunately they had Ham again for Rally dinner. I don't understand this fetish with ham heated in water. Nest year Region One is in Quebec. Maybe they'll have something different.
back-bacon?

Quote:
My biggest grip is the cafeteria food. And yes I would gladly help out to improve it.
The hot-dogs were good! So was the Pizza. "pizza night" for the kids...but you old farts missed it.
Old 08-09-2004, 10:13 AM   #265
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
Old Farts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireflyinva
Hey wait a sec, berets can be kind of cool, especially when worn slouched off to the side (and not plopped on the head like a mushroom cap), preferrably with an ascot for men, a chiffon scarf and sun glasses for women. Cigarette hung from lips (lit or not lit) optional.

Mary
Yeah, what's up with THAT? that was the first thing I noticed when I joined and started getting the BB, with all the pictures of the poo-bah's. Wally never wore the hat like that..at least not in any of the pic's I've seen. in fact, there's one of him in the latest issue, and for a second, I thought it was Dizzy Gillespie. and it don't GET any cooler than that!

I sort of hoped that the recent adoption of the beret as the standard cover for US Army Soldiers might illustrate that THEY'RE WEARING THE HAT WRONG!!! But so far, it hasn't.

ANYway...here's a pic of some of the "old farts" in attendance. Kids on bikes, hot babes, hippies with tie-dyed shirts....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1673 (Small).JPG
Views:	132
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	8216  
Old 08-09-2004, 10:21 AM   #266
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
Future "Old Fart"

from the Region 1 rally...Jack had many young attendants during the rally. I couldn't get many pics, because they were all moving so fast.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1670 (Small).JPG
Views:	155
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	8217  
Old 08-09-2004, 11:01 AM   #267
3 Rivet Member

Richmond , Virginia
As someone who just bought their first AS, I can tell you no one from
WBCCI made any contact with me. Perhaps that explains why only 15% of new AS owners join. I contacted three units and only one had the out reach necessary to get me to a rally and I am easy. One unit told via e-mail that all information was on their website, lame site, never heard from them again. Another one contacted me months after I initiated contact, had already joined my unit.

If units are not following up the buyer information provided to them by AS and won't even reach out to people who reach out to them, well the club is doomed.

WBCCI #2468
2006 Ford F-150 Lariart 4X4
2004 19' Bambi Safari LS
luckydc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 12:08 PM   #268
4 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
1956 22' Caravanner
Mendon , Massachusetts
Send a message via AIM to muddy_hollow Send a message via Yahoo to muddy_hollow
Smile Woodstock a good model

Much of what Chuck has already brought up with I agree with. My daughter is four and had a blast chasing other kids around, going on hay rides, and riding her bike. Those are memories for her! Charter Oak did a great, great job setting up programs for the kids and catering to both the older and younger crowds. I think it is important at these types of gigs to give folks options. Some people like sitting around drinking wine and reading a book while others like to attend presentations on oil, whatever you want to do it is up to YOU. Keep in mind, pretty much everyone who attended under retirement age was there to unwind and get away from the rat-race. This is our, my, escape from the day to day. Having options is the key.

As for the formalities of the rally, berets and dress up, it is up to the individual if they want to or not. But, this type of structure is essential (in my opinion) to the longevity of the club as it makes it a little more than just a good'ol boy get together. Give people the option to dress up and play a part is all part of the game. Equally essential is closing it all up on Sunday morning and bidding people farewell. The Pomp and Circumstance, as I am told, is much more at the bigger rallies but as I said, at Woodstock it was all optional. No one was forcing me to put a beret on. Heck if I wanted to run around in flamingo feathers, I could of and I know I would have at least have gotten a laugh from Vintage!

Next time, I'm bringing the feathers

Doug

muddy_hollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 12:32 PM   #269
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
I really don't like ham in water. I hope the Canadians want to show off their culinary skills.

That's my only grip and that because I enjoy the community meals, or at least the community part. Had a nice visit with Lili from philly at breakfast and everyone I spoke to was nicer than me.

I repeat my considers about the survey. 5% 50 years and younger. The % of under 50 was a lot higher than that at Woodstock. It was a great job and it's really great to see the kids have stuff to do.

On to Jamaica
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 05:09 PM   #270
4 Rivet Member

2007 30' Classic
marlborough , Massachusetts
I think the future of the club lies in those that share the passion for all that it has to offer. Regardless of who is over 50 and who is not. As one of those soon to be in that dreaded percentile I don't consider myself an "old fart". The great thing is to have such a diverse group of people together having a good time in their own way. Some like the berets and ceremonies, some like the informal gatherings but it is wonderful that we can all come away saying that we had a great time. Remember the bottom line is we are just camping. As far as ham in water, it was a tremendous effort put forth by our hosts at the region rally to ensure that we all had an enjoyable time. I saw them arrive for duty very early a.m. to start preparing our evening meal. A lot of blood, sweat and tears go into planning and executing a rally of this proportion. I look forward to the next rally in Quebec. Certain to be another fun time for all.
Elaine L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 07:04 AM   #271
3 Rivet Member

vancouver , Washington
Just noticed on the WBCCI forum:
"
Any member may order a CD containing the full 49 page report from the survey committee by sending a check in amount of $6.00, payable to WBCCI, to Cindy Reed at headquarters.

Cheers,

Jim Haddaway
International President "
Allison Duramax 4X4
Hensley Arrow hitch
Kodiak / Actibrake Disc Brakes
Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller
Doran Pressure Pro
WBCCI #2984 Air # 4173
aluminauts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 02:39 PM   #272
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by aluminauts
Just noticed on the WBCCI forum:
"
Any member may order a CD containing the full 49 page report from the survey committee by sending a check in amount of $6.00, payable to WBCCI, to Cindy Reed at headquarters.

Cheers,

Jim Haddaway
International President "
Sure would be nice if they did as Jack suggested on the site...simply add a .PDF to it and let folks download it for free that have that ability. Sigh..unless they don't want to vent the dirty laundry to all that are interested.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 06:05 PM   #273
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Thumbs up C'mon WBCCI ... time to get with it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
Sure would be nice if they did as Jack suggested on the site...simply add a .PDF to it and let folks download it for free that have that ability.
A .pdf file on the WBCCI site is a great idea ... our club needs to start using the tech tools that the rest of the world is using. Drop the snail mail and the use of checks for products and services ... and start using the internet and credit cards.

If the WBCCI does not have access to Adobe Acrobat ... I will convert the file for them.

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 — Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 09:44 PM   #274

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Those members wanting to see it in PDF should send an email to WBCCI requesting such. I sent something to them some time ago and was told they would forward my request to the committee. You also might consider sending a PM to International President, Jim Haddaway. He is a forum member here and goes by the name of Derbycity.

Regards,

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 06:27 PM   #275
_

. , .
did we ever get that pdf file?
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 06:35 PM   #276
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Hmmmm...
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 07:48 PM   #277
Rivet Master

1968 26' Overlander
Wenatchee WA , Cape Cod
Its all in the family in New England

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddy_hollow
My daughter is four and had a blast chasing other kids around, going on hay rides, and riding her bike. Those are memories for her!
Doug
Thank you New England for being the unit we would all like to see more of. At Scusset it was all about having fun, hanging out with the families, and eating well. All were welcome, even if we didn't have our trailers with us. I didn't get the opportunity to see Doug with feathers, but I did get to see him in a grass skirt.
1968 Overlander - WBCCI #5793
Uberlanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 09:09 PM   #278
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
Quote:
ANYway...here's a pic of some of the "old farts" in attendance. Kids on bikes, hot babes, hippies with tie-dyed shirts....
I believe we should have this on the New England Unit's flags: "Hot Babes and Kids on Bikes". Perfect!

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 09:36 PM   #279
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
No Wonder You're #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboyburt
Quote:
I believe we should have this on the New England Unit's flags: "Hot Babes and Kids on Bikes". Perfect!
You people are cool! Great rally link. I enjoyed the movie spoofs. Now you have a philosophy I could totally embrace.

Great job on the site and video.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 06:48 AM   #280

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
did we ever get that pdf file?
Nope. I made two requests via email and got no response.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote