Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Name change

Quote:
Originally posted by Big Dee

I vote for Airstream Owners Club (AOC)
Hummmm ... would any of our Argosy owners feel abandoned or offended at not being included in this proposed club name? Another concern is using any name at the pleasure of or soley with permission from a third party, here Airstream, Inc. The Ohio Secretary of State, or whoever approves corprorate names in Ohio, likely would require written consent from Airstream, Inc. for the club to use this proposed name. What if the manufacturer decides in the future to terminate permission to use it's name or challenge it as confusing to the public, which might think it is a company sponsored club? I'd rather keep or use a name that belongs wholly to the club, and supplement it with an describer if deemed necesary.

Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 03:03 PM   #198
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
At one time there was an Argosy Owners Club. That was when we were not allowed to be members of WBCCI. As an Argosy owner I would not be offended. It actually would make it easier to explain who we are and what club we belong to. I consider my Argosy as much an painted Airstream as an Argosy. To me I don't see that much difference.

Typical Conversation with Campground owners;

ME: Hi, I am with the Florida springs unit of the WBCCI, and we are looking for a rally site (or if you say Wally Byam Caravan Club International you lose them at Byam).

Campground owner: You are with who? (accompanied by the sidelong glance that says who is this weirdo)

ME: The local Airstream Club, the big silver trailers.....

Campground owner: Ohhhh! Do they still make those? How many sites do you need?

WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 03:45 PM   #199
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
I would not worry too much about using "Airstream " in the club name ... although a nod from the company would have to be in order.

There are plenty of BMW, Mazda, Corvette, Mustang, Model A, Model T, Harley-Davidson and numerous other clubs that are using company names ... probably under some type of agreement.

I would bet that Airstream would welcome a name change.

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 04:18 PM   #200
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Thanks Mark for the info. I did not know the constitution was in the directory. I will read it tonight.

I agree with Porky. I don't think using the name Airstream would pose a problem. I think A/S would WANT to have their name on the club. The name WBCCI does nothing for name recognition but an international club with hundereds of rallies at campgrounds across America with signs saying "Airstream" all over would be free advertising. How could they turn that down?

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 05:07 PM   #201
2 Rivet Member

Name clarification

One of the reasons I like the prospective name Airstream RV Association is that it uses RV which is now known well enough by the public that it is not necessary to spell it out. If we just used Airstream Association, the uninitiated would not know what we are about.

If we use Airstream Owners' Group, the acronym AOG would rhyme with another acronym HOG for Harley Owners Group. I personally just never liked that one!

Fred
Old 02-12-2004, 07:32 PM   #202
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Re: Name clarification

Quote:
Originally posted by phred
If we use Airstream Owners' Group, the acronym AOG would rhyme with another acronym HOG for Harley Owners Group. I personally just never liked that one!
You gotta problem with the swine inclined?

TrailerGypsies.com

-- Willie Dixon
Old 02-12-2004, 09:17 PM   #203
Rivet Master

Porky your really a Ham !
Old 02-12-2004, 10:21 PM   #204
4 Rivet Member

acronyms

Airstream needs to be a major focus of any name chosen and I am not to picky as long as Airstream is included. Let's face it any acronym should be watched for so as not to be a joke, but ARA (or was that AARP) or ass. for association is a straight line for any wit.....

It has always amused me that the cover has Blue Beret significantly sized but it requires eyes better than mine to read the small line underneath that explains the relationship of Airstream and Wally Byram to Blue Beret over print backgrounds. Maybe just print Airstream in the biggest letters at the top line, after all we are Airstreamers first and foremost.

Also the number of pages devoted to forms and membership apps, about 10 percent, could be devoted to more useful topics simply by using a more generic form or a corner of the decription of the caravan detail page without affecting the lenhth and I assume cost of the publication. More of Phred and less duplicated pages monthly.

I my not be correct in this idea but I always have the feel that they are struggling for info to fill the pages.

As a member I am on the inside hoping to market the club into the future.....jem
zduke4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 11:49 PM   #205
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Aurora , Colorado
Airstream and WBCCI

"the private club has no official affiliation with the corporate Airstream/Thor Company?"

Everyone seems to have this notion that there is no official affiliation, but the International Board of Trustees includes one officer, "without a vote who shall be the Chief Executive Officer of Airstream, Inc. or an Executive Officer of Airstream, Inc. as may be designated by said Chief Executive Officer."

Read Article IX of the WBCCI Constitution.

So, although I'm no lawyer or politician, it seems to me that Airstream, Inc. is very much a part of the Club, and although it may not have a vote, it most certainly has an influence on the politics of the club. Up until this year Airstream, Inc. had greater influence because it paid the first years dues for customers who purchased new Airstreams. I have to wonder what the political fallout was when they ended that policy, and if it was strictly financial or for some other reason that will never be revealed to us lesser members.

At any rate, using the word Airstream in the name of the Club shouldn't be any more of a problem than the use of the name Airstream in the VAC.

Forrest
Old 02-13-2004, 08:20 AM   #206

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Re: Airstream and WBCCI

Quote:
Originally posted by Forrest
[B Up until this year Airstream, Inc. had greater influence because it paid the first years dues for customers who purchased new Airstreams. I have to wonder what the political fallout was when they ended that policy, and if it was strictly financial or for some other reason that will never be revealed to us lesser members.
Forrest [/B]
As far as I know Airstream never paid the first year. Our local unit gave up those membership dollars and I think International did also. I was told by some of the other officers in our unit that the free membership offer was ended because most new members failed to renew after their free year expired.

I have heard that some dealers have included first year membership when they sell an Airstream to a first time owner.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 08:23 AM   #207
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Private donation

Members of our unit and others extend a free (seller pays fees) membership to buyers of our units when we sell.

I will buy a 1 year membership for the buyer of my 83 excella if they would like to join.

Smily
Old 02-13-2004, 09:13 AM   #208
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Re: acronyms

Quote:
Originally posted by zduke4x
I my not be correct in this idea but I always have the feel that they are struggling for info to fill the pages.
I think you are correct ... I've had the same thought more than once while thumbing through a copy of BB ... lots of white space.

TrailerGypsies.com

-- Willie Dixon
Old 02-13-2004, 09:57 AM   #209

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Re: Private donation

Quote:
Originally posted by smily
Members of our unit and others extend a free (seller pays fees) membership to buyers of our units when we sell.

I will buy a 1 year membership for the buyer of my 83 excella if they would like to join.

Smily
Does anyone know what all the money goes to? Because It costs $70 to join the WBCCI and the local unit, and for that price I get roughly a dozen Blue Berets every year and our local club newsletter. Does it just subsidize the rallys, because everyone pays fees for rallys they attend as well?

I was surprised to hear that they had cancelled the free first year, because that program seems like a pretty good idea to introduce people to the club. Someone here once posted that if you took the free year and didn't participate that was just a waste of the club's money, but how much waste could it be - 12 Blue Berets?

Not being negative, I just really don't understand where all that money goes.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 10:03 AM   #210

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I'm sure it pays the overhead. Staff and office in Jackson Center and other expenses. I'm not sure if the Blue Beret is a break even operation (does advertising cover it entirely?). I've never seen any breakdown regarding where the dollars go to. They have investments which for all intents provides some income. Would be a question worth asking. While the organization is volunteer you can be sure that International officer's probably have some type of expense account.

It wouldn't surprise me to find that probably after salaries and office expenses, the next biggest slice would be expenses related to the International Rally.

Jack

AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote