Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2004, 04:07 PM   #201
2 Rivet Member

Name clarification

One of the reasons I like the prospective name Airstream RV Association is that it uses RV which is now known well enough by the public that it is not necessary to spell it out. If we just used Airstream Association, the uninitiated would not know what we are about.

If we use Airstream Owners' Group, the acronym AOG would rhyme with another acronym HOG for Harley Owners Group. I personally just never liked that one!

Fred
phred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 06:32 PM   #202
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Re: Name clarification

Quote:
Originally posted by phred
If we use Airstream Owners' Group, the acronym AOG would rhyme with another acronym HOG for Harley Owners Group. I personally just never liked that one!
You gotta problem with the swine inclined?

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 — Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 08:17 PM   #203
Rivet Master

Porky your really a Ham !
Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 09:21 PM   #204
4 Rivet Member

acronyms

Airstream needs to be a major focus of any name chosen and I am not to picky as long as Airstream is included. Let's face it any acronym should be watched for so as not to be a joke, but ARA (or was that AARP) or ass. for association is a straight line for any wit.....

It has always amused me that the cover has Blue Beret significantly sized but it requires eyes better than mine to read the small line underneath that explains the relationship of Airstream and Wally Byram to Blue Beret over print backgrounds. Maybe just print Airstream in the biggest letters at the top line, after all we are Airstreamers first and foremost.

Also the number of pages devoted to forms and membership apps, about 10 percent, could be devoted to more useful topics simply by using a more generic form or a corner of the decription of the caravan detail page without affecting the lenhth and I assume cost of the publication. More of Phred and less duplicated pages monthly.

I my not be correct in this idea but I always have the feel that they are struggling for info to fill the pages.

As a member I am on the inside hoping to market the club into the future.....jem
zduke4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 10:49 PM   #205
Rivet Master

Aurora , Colorado
Airstream and WBCCI

"the private club has no official affiliation with the corporate Airstream/Thor Company?"

Everyone seems to have this notion that there is no official affiliation, but the International Board of Trustees includes one officer, "without a vote who shall be the Chief Executive Officer of Airstream, Inc. or an Executive Officer of Airstream, Inc. as may be designated by said Chief Executive Officer."

Read Article IX of the WBCCI Constitution.

So, although I'm no lawyer or politician, it seems to me that Airstream, Inc. is very much a part of the Club, and although it may not have a vote, it most certainly has an influence on the politics of the club. Up until this year Airstream, Inc. had greater influence because it paid the first years dues for customers who purchased new Airstreams. I have to wonder what the political fallout was when they ended that policy, and if it was strictly financial or for some other reason that will never be revealed to us lesser members.

At any rate, using the word Airstream in the name of the Club shouldn't be any more of a problem than the use of the name Airstream in the VAC.

Forrest
Old 02-13-2004, 07:20 AM   #206

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Re: Airstream and WBCCI

Quote:
Originally posted by Forrest
[B Up until this year Airstream, Inc. had greater influence because it paid the first years dues for customers who purchased new Airstreams. I have to wonder what the political fallout was when they ended that policy, and if it was strictly financial or for some other reason that will never be revealed to us lesser members.
Forrest [/B]
As far as I know Airstream never paid the first year. Our local unit gave up those membership dollars and I think International did also. I was told by some of the other officers in our unit that the free membership offer was ended because most new members failed to renew after their free year expired.

I have heard that some dealers have included first year membership when they sell an Airstream to a first time owner.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 07:23 AM   #207
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Private donation

Members of our unit and others extend a free (seller pays fees) membership to buyers of our units when we sell.

I will buy a 1 year membership for the buyer of my 83 excella if they would like to join.

Smily
smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 08:13 AM   #208
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Re: acronyms

Quote:
Originally posted by zduke4x
I my not be correct in this idea but I always have the feel that they are struggling for info to fill the pages.
I think you are correct ... I've had the same thought more than once while thumbing through a copy of BB ... lots of white space.

TrailerGypsies.com

-- Willie Dixon
Old 02-13-2004, 08:57 AM   #209

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Re: Private donation

Quote:
Originally posted by smily
Members of our unit and others extend a free (seller pays fees) membership to buyers of our units when we sell.

I will buy a 1 year membership for the buyer of my 83 excella if they would like to join.

Smily
Does anyone know what all the money goes to? Because It costs $70 to join the WBCCI and the local unit, and for that price I get roughly a dozen Blue Berets every year and our local club newsletter. Does it just subsidize the rallys, because everyone pays fees for rallys they attend as well?

I was surprised to hear that they had cancelled the free first year, because that program seems like a pretty good idea to introduce people to the club. Someone here once posted that if you took the free year and didn't participate that was just a waste of the club's money, but how much waste could it be - 12 Blue Berets?

Not being negative, I just really don't understand where all that money goes.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 09:03 AM   #210

Fenton , Missouri
I'm sure it pays the overhead. Staff and office in Jackson Center and other expenses. I'm not sure if the Blue Beret is a break even operation (does advertising cover it entirely?). I've never seen any breakdown regarding where the dollars go to. They have investments which for all intents provides some income. Would be a question worth asking. While the organization is volunteer you can be sure that International officer's probably have some type of expense account.

It wouldn't surprise me to find that probably after salaries and office expenses, the next biggest slice would be expenses related to the International Rally.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 02-13-2004, 09:30 AM   #211
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
The BMW Motorcycle CLub (BMWMOA) publishes an Annual Report .. shows where all the money comes from and where it goes ... everyone gets to read it.

Doesn't the WBCCI do this???

TrailerGypsies.com

-- Willie Dixon
Old 02-13-2004, 09:36 AM   #212
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Quote:
Originally posted by jcanavera
after salaries and office expenses, the next biggest slice would be expenses related to the International Rally.
Jack
I read somewhere that most, if not all, of the International office time and money is spent on the Int. Rally. And how many working Airstreamers attend that rally? How many of the total membership attend the rally? Not a very high percentage.

So most of the money is spent on a rally that a small percentage of total membership attend? And they refuse to rotate the date so it might work for more people because that would be against tradition?

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 09:49 AM   #213
Rivet Master

Aurora , Colorado
Don't you read the BB?

Well, I guess we really don't read the Blue Beret do we? The report on where our dues go is in the Sept. 2003 Blue Beret on page 19, under Headquarters Notes. It is the fiscal report for the year 2002.

I have to make a mea culpa here for my previous post where I said that Airstream discontinued its free first year membership with the purchase of a new Airstream. When subsequent postings questioned this it made me think about where I got that idea, and I probably mixed up a couple of different programs - although I think there have been postings in other threads to the same effect.

ANYWAY, I'll quote my Unit newsletter, Aug/Sept 2003, a message from our Unit President, "New owner incentive program: President Daryl Ewles has informed the Unit Presidents that 'Due to a recent study of the results related to the free dues program and its effect on the 2002/2003 general operating budget, the New Owner Incentive Program will be discontinued June 20, 2003.' "

Also, I know that our local dealership, Windish RV, in Denver, will pay new owners first year of membership when they purchase a new Airstream. We even have standing rules on how the contribution is to be handled.

Forrest
Old 02-13-2004, 10:03 AM   #214

Fenton , Missouri
Re: Don't you read the BB?

Quote:
ANYWAY, I'll quote my Unit newsletter, Aug/Sept 2003, a message from our Unit President, "New owner incentive program: President Daryl Ewles has informed the Unit Presidents that 'Due to a recent study of the results related to the free dues program and its effect on the 2002/2003 general operating budget, the New Owner Incentive Program will be discontinued June 20, 2003.' "
Yep if they had been able to keep a good percentage of the new members, it would have paid off since new money would have been coming in. Obviously we didn't meet the expectations of those new members.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 02-13-2004, 10:05 AM   #215
4 Rivet Member

Thumbs down There's One Born Every Minute

Haven't read this whole thread. I might someday.

Will join only that which I deem to be of an advantage to me.
Those advantages must outweigh all dis-advantages.
I must do a bit of due dilligance to determine the worth of any undertaking. The costs to join/belong are obviously relevant to the amount of due dilligance required.

If in fact there is no freely and cheerfully offered report of where the funds go. Or if they go to unspecified "overhead" for a selected few and/or to the International event which I would probably never or certainly very occasionally attend I would think long and hard about sending them more than say 5-10 dollars for membership.

I read where some think that Wally Byam is passe, outdated and another symbol, icon, figurehead should be found.

Perhaps yall should consider P.T. Barnum.
jaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 10:05 AM   #216

Fenton , Missouri
Re: Don't you read the BB?

Quote:
Well, I guess we really don't read the Blue Beret do we? The report on where our dues go is in the Sept. 2003 Blue Beret on page 19, under Headquarters Notes. It is the fiscal report for the year 2002.
Forrest,
Can you share that information for the forum? I don't know if I still have that copy at home.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 02-13-2004, 10:16 AM   #217

Fenton , Missouri
I belong to a International telecommunications organization. It is similar to WBCCI in that there are many local chapters and a central administrative office. The main function of the central administration is the annual conference. The worker bees are really us out at the local chapters who organize the events and hold the monthy meetings. Annual dues include an amount which is sent to the International and a portion to the local chapter. The International has had declining attendance and has been upping the membership fees since the bulk of their income came from the annual conference. This is squeezing the membership and we have seen a decrease in members.

Bottom line there has been a lot of disatisfaction with the International organization and many of the chapters have now created a seperate class of membership called the non affilated local member. In that classification the member is allowed all local membership rights like meeting attendence and local activites. They cannot however attend the International conference or derive any benefits like the monthy International newsletter or other discounted offers.

While I doubt the current WBCCI bylaws would allow this, a sttructure of this type could lower dues and direct money to the local units for use to support the local members. Right now our local dues are $12 a year which gives us nothing to work with.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 02-13-2004, 10:20 AM   #218
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
Quote:
The BMW Motorcycle CLub (BMWMOA) publishes an Annual Report
The WBCCI also publishes an annual report. I believe I saw one in the BB or somewhere a while back.

All U.S. nonprofits with more than $25k in gross revenue also have to file IRS Form 990 and make it available to the public. This form is essentially an annual financial report.

BB should pretty much take care of itself, finance-wise.

The international rally should pretty much take care of itself finance-wise.

But $70 for an annual membership is not out of line for an association like the WBCCI.

The WBCCI struggles right now are not so much finance as they are of identity. Is it big or is it small? Is it aluminum or is it Airstream? Is it RV or is it lifestyle? Is a rally a caravan? What was it and how has that changed? Is it old or young? Is it local or regional or national or international? What is its image? How |is|was|wiil be| it recognized?

For the WBCCI right now, the issue is making the right decision about what is the most important question. The survey is a start on learning about this. Let's hope it is well and properly used.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 10:35 AM   #219
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
OK .. I have the September 2003 BB in hand ...

The report on page 19 is a "synopsis" of the Annual Statement. It says at the bottom of the page that any member wishing a detailed copy .. mail a request to WBCCI Headquarters.

The BMW club publishes a detailed Annual Statement in their monthly magazine ... no need to request one.

TrailerGypsies.com

-- Willie Dixon
Old 02-13-2004, 10:43 AM   #220
4 Rivet Member

2001 30' Excella
Bedford , New Hampshire
Well! This is interesting

WBCCI Constitution

Article III

Objectives

The objective of the International Club shall be to furnish encouragement and assistance in the development of Regions, Units and Intra-clubs:

to afford opportunities for outdoor fraternization of recreational vehicle owners;

to encourage safe driving and assist in improving general welfare of the recreational vehicle public through assistance and active participation of all its members in building a strong organization for the betterment of good will toward recreational vehicle travel;

to coordinate the interest and activities of its Regions and Units;

to cooperate with other organizations within its sphere of interest which are seeking to elevate the standards and ethics of the various groups;

to disseminate information of an advisory and educational nature which will be of value to its members and the public;

to study, advise and recommend legislation in the interest of the recreational vehicle public and to oppose all legislation which is discriminatory and injurious to the recreational vehicle public and to encourage government and private agencies to provide more and better recreational vehicle parks and facilities.

Thought this might be of interest to those wondering what WBCCI is all about.....