Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2004, 09:33 AM   #181
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
but it pretty much ended in a challenge to prove that there ARE any young people with AS out there
Perhaps you should direct your prez. to this very thread...or at least this site. have we done an "age" poll?

but let me guess: he doesn't have a computer, let alone access to the internet, right?

On the "phred" thing: I've read through his site a few times, and learned quite a bit from it. great stuff. But one of the reasons I had to ask the question is that he barely mentions "Airstream" at all in it...except to point out that our $hit don't stink. (which is true, of course ). Wonder why that is?
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 09:57 AM   #182
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Quote:
Originally posted by chuck
... But one of the reasons I had to ask the question is that he barely mentions "Airstream" at all in it...except to point out that our $hit don't stink. (which is true, of course ). Wonder why that is?
Enzymes in our black tanks.

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 — Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 10:07 AM   #183
3 Rivet Member

1985 25' Sovereign
St Cloud , Minnesota
Stef, you got to hang in there and keep trying. You will prevail. It sounds like you have already taken the first steps. Setting up a different type of event than the norm, (new blood, thinks outside the box.)

We have been weekend campers for nearly 20 years. When we went with a group it was always more fun. We will be working stiffs for many years. This limits our access to WBCCI national events. We make as many unit events as possible and maybe the regional. The year the International is in your area we are planning to attend. Why? Because we want to see the area, and we can take in an event with some folks we know.

The whole idea is getting together with people we know from the local unit to the International.

This is our 2nd year of membership in the WBCCI. We got the free year and stayed. BTW, they should bring back the free year. The first event we could attend last year was a short caravan to and including the Regional. There were other events that did not fit our schedule. I looked at the calendar for last year and up-coming one and all I saw was rally, rally, rally. That’s fine and dandy, but I wanted to do something different. After our first events, we knew that we preferred a caravan over a rally.

So……… I got involved. I offered to plan an event. We are now having a 4 day themed caravan August 5-8 for the MN Unit. (and others, if they care to join us)

We will have to compare notes after we get done next August.
WBCCI #7528
MN Unit
pyanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 10:12 AM   #184
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally posted by chuck

On the "phred" thing: I've read through his site a few times, and learned quite a bit from it. great stuff. But one of the reasons I had to ask the question is that he barely mentions "Airstream" at all in it...except to point out that our $hit don't stink. (which is true, of course ). Wonder why that is?
Could be because there are two Phreds.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 10:20 AM   #185
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Re: Re: Repetition

Quote:
Originally posted by Stefrobrts

They don't want to plan events for active, younger people if there aren't any in the club, but younger folks won't join if there aren't any activities for them.
Yea Steph, that's the problem in a nutshell. The club has to have some kind of appeal for younger Airstreamers or why spend $60 for membership?

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 10:43 AM   #186
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Fred .......

...is experiencing some sort of computer glitch.....
For the benefit of those who have trouble opening the attachment by Phred that was directed to the WBCCI, here it is.

Fred's comments about communication are right on. In my opinion, the WBCCI is stifled by their lack of intra-unit e-mail.

I know that there are Forums members that are working to change that, more power to each and every one of you.

Phred's Post (mailed with his return of the recent BB survey).....

WBCCI Organizational Survey Thoughts

In the February issue of the Blue Beret there was a WBCCI Organizational Survey to be filled out and returned by March 10, 2004. What follows are personal comments and thoughts generated by that document:

Although I have been a member for over 20 years, I have never been on a Caravan. The first 15 years I was working, the last 5 years retired. During most of those 20 years I paid dues to a caravan club that did very little for me. I paid them happily because it was part of the cost of being a member of the local unit that was very active and held rallies every month except July and August. I liked associating with people who were out doing exciting things and travel was something I enjoyed. Did you hear that! The international officers and organization as well as the caravan aspects are not as important as a dynamic local club with fascinating people. When I received the Blue Beret during the first 15 years or so I would read “By George” for technical ideas and the Classifieds to see if anyone was selling a trailer I might be interested in. That was it!
Since we are trying to attract people who are working, the By Laws, the Blue Book, the WBCCI and the Blue Beret need substantive change so the revised and invigorated club will attract them. So far only the Blue Beret has begun to refocus with more articles of interest to people still working. These people are an impatient lot. I used to call them the microwave generation because they wanted results in two minutes. I now realize the newest generation should be called the mouse-click generation. They want communication and results instantaneously. An organization that produces a Membership Directory listing every numbered caravan each member has ever been on, but not listing email addresses or phone numbers is not worth considering. Please read that last sentence again, slowly. I know of a working member who currently owns his third used Airstream in a two-year period, having bought and traded twice. Another purchased a used Airstream motorhome on the Internet on eBay in an auction process from five states distant, having only seen emailed pictures. These people will make it happen if we can attract and retain them as members.
In regard to a change in the club name, I do think we need Airstream in the name, but we need to get rid of Caravan Club, International, and maybe even Wally Byam . The excellent 4” by 9” center pullout in the February Blue Beret is designed to attract new members and even includes our Web address. There was the answer on the front cover under the WBCCI International logo:

The Airstream RV Association

Great!! That is what the changed organization should be called. I suspect it was put there as a footnote because the WBCCI logo does not help the uninitiated understand what we are about. I am sure Good Sam and Family Motor Coach Association have both founders and international members, but that is not the thrust of their name.
In regard to the level of ceremony in the international club, whether the treasurer is elected or appointed, when the International Rally is scheduled, and whether dogs and generators should be controlled are of little consequence. I have heard this response: ‘Who cares? I just want to camp with friendly, interesting folks.’ Did you hear that? Most working members can’t get to an international rally since they do not have the luxury of that much time off. The reality is that most retired members don’t go either.
At the unit level the region officer comes yearly in a red coat and installs the new unit officers for next year. Our unit officers do not wear the blue berets to these formal occasions. This break with tradition comes from a unit that scored over 5800 points in last year’s Unit Merit Award Program, where over 3000 points rated a Superior Merit Award. Does your unit email its newsletter? Do you have member digital photographs for the annual unit directory? Is there a web site with monthly updates? Some how these things should be the focus of our attention.
Should we expand member qualifications beyond Airstream ownership to include any brand made by Thor industries? This is not worthy of consideration unless we want to change our name to the Good Sam Club.

The organizational survey is a healthy sign. It implies that those in responsible positions realize that we must be more responsive to the mission of travel and unit rallies. Unfortunately they have to make painfully slow change from within, such as voting to amend the constitution. Will this change be fast enough and responsive enough to attract new working members? It will require unprecedented vision and leadership from the top, not a filtering of survey results through committees committed to the status quo. Did you hear that?
The club is multidimensional including local unit rallies as well as caravans. We need to focus more attention on the local units, rename the club, and get the constitution and by laws to reflect this expanded focus. Otherwise the future of the club will follow the declining membership trend we have been seeing.

Fred Ettline, WBCCI # 27910

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 11:23 AM   #187
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Homework

Man the emabarrassment that can befall us when we speak without doing our homework.

Phred as in Poop Sheets.....

Phred Tinseth

Phred as in Phred Sez......

Fred Ettline

They are not the same people.

Smily
smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 11:30 AM   #188
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Re: Fred of Phred Sez.......

Quote:
Originally posted by 87MH
The Airstream RV Association

Great!! That is what the changed organization should be called.
I vote for Airstream Owners Club (AOC)

Come rally with us.
Old 02-12-2004, 12:03 PM   #189
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Question Hmmm...

I wonder if part of the problem with using "Airstream" in the title of the "new & improved" WBCCI would be an infringement of copyright, being that the private club has no official affiliation with the corporate Airstream/Thor Company?

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 12:08 PM   #190
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
Team work

Although the WBCCI is not owned or governed by Airstream, they do recognize each others as team mates. As a matter of fact if you visit the AS website, you will see a link to the Airstreamer owners club, it takes you to the home page of the WBCCI.

I have spoken to Airstream on many occasion and they refer to the WBCCI as "The Club" nothing more nothing less.

I am certain that all permissions will be granted prior to any official name calling goes on.

Smily
Old 02-12-2004, 12:35 PM   #191
2 Rivet Member

1982 28' Airstream 280
St. Matthews , South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Snadi Send a message via Yahoo to Snadi
Thumbs up Phred's Post

You go Phred Sez!!

I have been a WBCCI member for 1 year (last weekend was my anniversary) and I agree with Phred. My husband and I still work (we own a business and I have 2 jobs), have 2 teenagers, and I still find time to go to the local unit rallies every month and camp some weekends in between with wonderful friends I have made through my local unit. I am like those people that Phred mentioned except that I am on my 3rd airstream in 1 year!!!. I would like to see the WBCCI 'modern up' a little, and surely this can be done without making it less of an organization for the 'retired folks'. I hope one day to be able to take long journeys and attend other region rallies and international rallies, but the reason I am and will continue to be a WBCCI member is my local unit. I could not have been made to feel more welcome and part of a group anywhere in the world, and I thank all of you SCCU members for that!
Member SC Coastal Unit 150 and Friend of Chuck
Snadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 12:44 PM   #192
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Re: Re: Fred of Phred Sez.......

Quote:
Originally posted by Big Dee
A-O-C .. sorta rolls off the tongue, doesn't it?

TrailerGypsies.com

-- Willie Dixon
Old 02-12-2004, 01:12 PM   #193
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Since I'm new to WBCCI:

What does it take to change the name? A majority vote of the members? A vote of unit presidents? Or do the International officers decide?

Come rally with us.
Old 02-12-2004, 01:14 PM   #194
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
I am certain that all permissions will be granted prior to any official name calling goes on.
I'm sure the right channels would be followed, I was just curious if it could be why it hasn't happened so far...there would probably be a fee associated for the use...don't you think?

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 01:32 PM   #195
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
Thumbs up The love

We love you too, Snadi

Smily
Old 02-12-2004, 01:47 PM   #196
4 Rivet Member

2001 30' Excella
Bedford , New Hampshire
changing the constitution

In the front of the 2004 Membership directory is the Constitution. Article XVI deals with amendments.

1. Amendments can be submitted by a unit, approved by a majority of the unit and certified by the unit president. The region in which the unit is located must also approve the amendment and the region president must certify to that fact. The amendment is then distributed by headquarters to all the chartered units for ratification. When two thirds of the chartered units have approved the measure it is approved. The approval must be completed within one year.

3. A amendment can be approved by a two thirds vote of the delegates present at the annual delegates meeting. An amendment approved at the annual delegate meeting needs the approval under the unit / region method described above. The unit/region approved amendment needs to be at headquarters prior to March 1 of a given year.

I think that is what the article is saying. I've taken some liberty to shorten the verbage.

Mark
Old 02-12-2004, 01:49 PM   #197
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Name change

Quote:
Originally posted by Big Dee

Hummmm ... would any of our Argosy owners feel abandoned or offended at not being included in this proposed club name? Another concern is using any name at the pleasure of or soley with permission from a third party, here Airstream, Inc. The Ohio Secretary of State, or whoever approves corprorate names in Ohio, likely would require written consent from Airstream, Inc. for the club to use this proposed name. What if the manufacturer decides in the future to terminate permission to use it's name or challenge it as confusing to the public, which might think it is a company sponsored club? I'd rather keep or use a name that belongs wholly to the club, and supplement it with an describer if deemed necesary.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 02:03 PM   #198
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
At one time there was an Argosy Owners Club. That was when we were not allowed to be members of WBCCI. As an Argosy owner I would not be offended. It actually would make it easier to explain who we are and what club we belong to. I consider my Argosy as much an painted Airstream as an Argosy. To me I don't see that much difference.

Typical Conversation with Campground owners;

ME: Hi, I am with the Florida springs unit of the WBCCI, and we are looking for a rally site (or if you say Wally Byam Caravan Club International you lose them at Byam).

Campground owner: You are with who? (accompanied by the sidelong glance that says who is this weirdo)

ME: The local Airstream Club, the big silver trailers.....

Campground owner: Ohhhh! Do they still make those? How many sites do you need?
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 02:45 PM   #199
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
I would not worry too much about using "Airstream " in the club name ... although a nod from the company would have to be in order.

There are plenty of BMW, Mazda, Corvette, Mustang, Model A, Model T, Harley-Davidson and numerous other clubs that are using company names ... probably under some type of agreement.

I would bet that Airstream would welcome a name change.

TrailerGypsies.com

-- Willie Dixon
Old 02-12-2004, 03:18 PM   #200
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Thanks Mark for the info. I did not know the constitution was in the directory. I will read it tonight.

I agree with Porky. I don't think using the name Airstream would pose a problem. I think A/S would WANT to have their name on the club. The name WBCCI does nothing for name recognition but an international club with hundereds of rallies at campgrounds across America with signs saying "Airstream" all over would be free advertising. How could they turn that down?

Come rally with us.