Closed Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 11:55 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
I don't know why anyone would join for the Blue Beret. I joined for the opportunity to be with other Airstream owners and to meet new friends. I spend very little time reading the Blue Beret. If you find it so worthless, sign up for the internet edition and delete the notification email when you receive it.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarylarry View Post
Another reason for me not to join. I'll stick with Airstream Life for my related reading. Does anyone from the organization ever comment on these posts?

Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
Old 09-10-2011, 12:52 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Well, here goes the plunge in the deep end..

I though it was funny.

I do not see a problem with the joke. A lot less crude than the Tin Hut column in another Airstream publication.

Old 09-10-2011, 08:03 PM   #17
AIR #8691

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Northern , Virginia
Right on Bill M.
Airstream Life Magazine is in favor no matter who Mr. Tin Hut makes fun of- - - -well for now at least.
Whereas a lot about the club is now out of favor, and a few donít want to miss an opportunity to criticize or pile-on.

People have attacked every aspect of the club, starting at the top and now attacks are aimed lowered down to the Womenís section of the BB.
Fair and reasonable? Yea Right.

Some have let criticism define the club and determine their membership status.
While others focus on their Unit rallies, understand that it is what it is, and go out and enjoy the benefits.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:30 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
That joke has been passed around for several months over the internet. I did find it offensive. It's getting to the point that nothing can be published anymore without offending someone.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:24 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaylejoe View Post
It's getting to the point that nothing can be published anymore without offending someone.
Fortunately! I think it's a good thing that people are becoming more tolerant of diversity and aware of sensitivity towards others and their feelings. It really is only funny if everyone laughs and that adage isn't anything new but at least as old as my mother's admonition. She taught me it's OK to laugh with someone but never OK to laugh at someone or their their impediment or infirmity, or difference.

Just exactly what part of the joke is the funny part anyway, just the use of a homonym?

Perhaps it is a good opportunity to dispell the myths and stereotypes about aids rather than make a joke about the occurrance of aids in seniors.

When we think of HIV we have certain populations in mind. We hear about its ravages on young men and women; on the gay and transgender populations; on the homeless and the intravenous drug user. We seldom think about hiv and senior citizens. What no one talks about is HIV and the older adult. It's no wonder that when you talk to our senior citizens, they feel HIV is not a risk to them. Is HIV a risk to older adults. Is HIV over 50 a problem?
The truth of the matter is that HIV surveillance shows that 11 percent of all new AIDS cases are in people over the age of 50. Statistics also show that new AIDS cases rose faster in the over 50 population than in people under 40. The following information sheds light on HIV and the older adult population and what can be done to raise awareness, slow the infection rate, and sustain a high quality of life for our seniors.

http://aids.about.com/cs/aidsfactsheets/a/seniors.htm

photography
Old 09-12-2011, 10:28 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

Northern Illinois , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post

A lot less crude than the Tin Hut column in another Airstream publication.
Hey - don't pick on Mr. Tin Hut; That's a great column.

We never read "What Airstream Women Want to Know" because it seems sexist plus it's for the June Cleavers of the "Leave It To Beaver" women crowd - essentially the majority of WBCCI women.

I find very little of value in the Blue Beret. I read it to see what propaganda the IBT is spewing.

2008 Classic 34
Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab CTD

AIR #7317 WBCCI #1772 TAC-IL 1
Old 09-12-2011, 01:03 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
"Just exactly what part of the joke is the funny part anyway, just the use of a homonym?"

No, not really. That part of it is just an attention getter in a way. Effective though. I was sitting there fooling with my hearing aids that I have been trying to get repaired for a month and 3 trips to the audiologist and looking at the band aid on my finger and thinking about the plight of myself and fellow seniors in general, and that part of it seemed moderatly funny for a second (corny too) and fairly old.

Joke might make a good lead in for your senior AIDS awareness lecture.

Lot of bad things in the world. AIDS is certainly high on the list. Have a good friend whose son died of AIDS. Watched, and sometimes helped, her try to care for him and work her two jobs without anybody finding out about him and firing her. Do not see the butt of the joke as AIDS, but senior citizens with their accessories.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:13 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Quote:
"Just exactly what part of the joke is the funny part anyway, just the use of a homonym?"

No, not really. That part of it is just an attention getter in a way. Effective though. I was sitting there fooling with my hearing aids that I have been trying to get repaired for a month and 3 trips to the audiologist and looking at the band aid on my finger and thinking about the plight of myself and fellow seniors in general, and that part of it seemed moderatly funny for a second (corny too) and fairly old.

Joke might make a good lead in for your senior AIDS awareness lecture.

Lot of bad things in the world. AIDS is certainly high on the list. Have a good friend whose son died of AIDS. Watched, and sometimes helped, her try to care for him and work her two jobs without anybody finding out about him and firing her. Do not see the butt of the joke as AIDS, but senior citizens with their accessories.

I respect there will be many views on this. I don't anticipate debating any of those views. But in response to your statement "Do not see the butt of the joke as AIDS, but senior citizizens with their accessories." Maybe the closing statement in the article, "Not forgetting HIV - Hair is Vanishing". Come on, common references ... AIDS ... HIV ... it's in poor taste and quite honestly has nothing to do with Airstreams, camping, or WBCCI.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:27 PM   #23
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebird View Post
We never read "What Airstream Women Want to Know" because it seems sexist plus it's for the June Cleavers of the "Leave It To Beaver" women crowd - essentially the majority of WBCCI women.
I agree that the "womans" section of the Blue Beret is no longer relevant and perceive it as sexist as well. These are the very stereo types that so many worked tirelessly to change and I am saddened to see them perpetuated month after month in the Blue Beret. It's embarrassing. That said, labeling WBCCI women as the 'leave it to beaver crowd' is also unfair. There are many female members who are the primary 'streamer in their household or the only one. I pay up every year and keep working for change... it's coming, but SOOOO slowly.

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Old 09-12-2011, 02:16 PM   #24
Still wears a thong

I agree with Mr Bill

Quote:

I though it was funny.

I do not see a problem with the joke. A lot less crude than the Tin Hut column in another Airstream publication.
I agree, crude don't describe him. You ought to try living with the old codger for 40 years like I have, then you'll see crude.

Mrs. Hut
Old 09-12-2011, 10:35 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
That said, labeling WBCCI women as the 'leave it to beaver crowd' is also unfair. There are many female members who are the primary 'streamer in their household or the only one. I pay up every year and keep working for change... it's coming, but SOOOO slowly.
Janet:

I said "essentially the majority of WBCCI women". I did not say all because I know there are many women in the WBCCI who are not like that. I don't want to offend those women in the WBCCI who are not like that.

This is the only club that I know of where you can be a grandparnet on a caravan and be considered the "youngins".

2008 Classic 34

Old 09-12-2011, 10:39 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

I Disagree with Mrs Hut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Tin Hut View Post
I agree, crude don't describe him. You ought to try living with the old codger for 40 years like I have, then you'll see crude.

Mrs. Hut
Mrs. Hut:

I can't agree with your statement about Mr. Hut. After his living with you for 40 years he has become what you have made him to be. He is not crude but authentic. Your visit to the Mr Ed convention had me laughing soo hard I was crying.

2008 Classic 34

Old 09-14-2011, 06:09 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Everytime I open my email it is likely me or someone I know will be offended. I quit being so thin skinned a long time ago. I also don't believe in all the crap the politically correct crowd throws around either. There are lots of ugly things in this world - you better learn how to deal with them.
Hensley with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
Old 09-14-2011, 10:33 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
Ribald, dirty or racy jokes fall into the same class as the joke in the Blue Beret. They are best told friend to friend where one knows they would not be offensive.

Two 70 somethings with hearing aids, walkers etc will view this joke from an entirely different angle that two 30 somethings. Their point of reference is just very different.

The trouble with broadcasting this joke to an unknown audience is that this type of joke can and will re open the wounds and memories of loss and pain to those who have lost family members or friends to this disease.

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Closed Thread