Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-02-2009, 03:38 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Meridian , Idaho
Blue Beret Online

The current edition of the Blue Beret is now available online at:
WBCCI.org

It is a 4M file but downloads well on DSL/Broadband
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 10:57 AM   #2
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Nice of you to post the link - thanks, Charlie.

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 12:05 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
Thanks again - for posting.
willyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 01:19 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 19' Globetrotter
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
WOW.... I think this is way the WBCCI should go! It would save a lot of money in the long run. I would be the first to promote this style of news letter and due away with the hard copy. There should be a choice of e-BlueBeret at the time of renewal, with a lower amount paid in dues!
Instagram #Vinstream
vinstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 02:36 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Charlie,

You did not say whether WBCCI intends to post the BB each month or whether they intend to keep an archive of the old issues. I have found nothing in my Blue Beret that they had plans to do even this first step. Is this a part of the 2020 recommendations or does it come from the new Marketing Committee or is it your electronic communications committee? Any way it occurred, we think it is a great first step in bringing the club into the 21st century. The Website is much improved by having this as part of it. I would suggest we use the database of the member's e-mail addresses, we have in the computer at Jackson Center, to send an E-mail to all our Internet enabled members that they can now access the Blue Beret by visiting the Website. I have seen some fairly cheap programs HQ could buy to do this. If they wanted to use an outside service to do it "Constant Contact" does it for about $25 per month. In the future, all the members could be sent an e-mail whenever a new BB is posted.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 02:40 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Great thought...but?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinstream View Post
WOW.... I think this is way the WBCCI should go! It would save a lot of money in the long run. I would be the first to promote this style of news letter and due away with the hard copy. There should be a choice of e-BlueBeret at the time of renewal, with a lower amount paid in dues!
Many members are not computerites. If you choose for computer, and the copies printed go down, the dues will probably go up and not down.

Printing cost are volume oriented
Old 10-04-2009, 03:00 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeWee View Post
Many members are not computerites. If you choose for computer, and the copies printed go down, the dues will probably go up and not down.

Printing cost are volume oriented

PeeWee,

True about printing costs, but postage is per unit. The total cost may go up or down.

I would like to see a request from Jackson Center as to how many members would like to access the Blue Beret on the internet and then have a cost analysis done.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 03:24 PM   #8

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Great Idea! Lets all save a tree. I would like to see an electronic version of the Blue Beret. They can just send me an email when it's ready to view.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 10:38 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Meridian , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightdi View Post
Charlie,

You did not say whether WBCCI intends to post the BB each month or whether they intend to keep an archive of the old issues. I have found nothing in my Blue Beret that they had plans to do even this first step. Is this a part of the 2020 recommendations or does it come from the new Marketing Committee or is it your electronic communications committee? Any way it occurred, we think it is a great first step in bringing the club into the 21st century. The Website is much improved by having this as part of it. I would suggest we use the database of the member's e-mail addresses, we have in the computer at Jackson Center, to send an E-mail to all our Internet enabled members that they can now access the Blue Beret by visiting the Website. I have seen some fairly cheap programs HQ could buy to do this. If they wanted to use an outside service to do it "Constant Contact" does it for about $25 per month. In the future, all the members could be sent an e-mail whenever a new BB is posted.
This the source of the announcement. It is from President Collier's October Newsletter. Beyond what is said here I am told that this was put together by the printer for HQ. What future plans there are are up to them.

Quote:
Blue Beret on the Web
You requested it! The October issue of the Blue Beret is now being published on the WBCCI web site for your viewing.
For now it can be viewed by going to WBCCI.org and clicking on “General Info,” then click on Blue Beret.
As interest increases among our members, a dedicated button will be created to go directly to the Blue Beret. If our
members’ viewing of the Blue Beret on the web continues to grow, this will become a monthly feature on the WBCCI
web site.
As more of our members receive the Blue Beret electronically, and not by mail, the cost of publication and mailing
could go down, helping reduce the cost for the club. Advertisements in the Blue Beret will also reach a broader audience,
which will help in securing more advertising dollars for the WBCCI. Check it out!
Old 10-07-2009, 10:48 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
This the source of the announcement. It is from President Collier's October Newsletter. Beyond what is said here I am told that this was put together by the printer for HQ. What future plans there are are up to them.
Charlie,

Where would one find the October Newsletter from Mr. Collier?

Bill
Just my personal opinion

Old 10-07-2009, 11:56 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
You know the BBO or Blue Beret Online, even sounds great.

Hey did you see the latest in the BBO? Color pictures won't be an issue for expense and could really enhance the experience and online reading convenience is very conducive to inspiring new authors. I think the size of the magazine could now be expanded and the coupons region news and new member pages could really be offset by many new editorials and articles of interest diversifying from the former norm and allocation of space. Size could vary to allow for inclusion or exception and not be based on specifications each month. A search agent would be very nice for archiving and researching info. Might even be able to sell the DVDs of particular columns or special or unique relevance for extra revenue for the club. Monthly newsletters could also be linked from the newletter page which I think would promote and raise the quality and quantity of unit newsletters beyond the present impetus of a unit award.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 01:08 PM   #12
Silver Condo III

2015 30' International
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
Effect on Membership

Don't want to come across as a naysayer. I think having the Blue Beret on line is a great idea - we here in Canada might actually get it on time!

That being said, though, if the magazine is available for free, then why should I join WBCCI? After all that may be the only benefit they see to belonging - i.e. they don't do caravans, rallies, etc.

Just a thought
Old 10-07-2009, 01:21 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamadeca View Post
Don't want to come across as a naysayer. I think having the Blue Beret on line is a great idea - we here in Canada might actually get it on time!

That being said, though, if the magazine is available for free, then why should I join WBCCI? After all that may be the only benefit they see to belonging - i.e. they don't do caravans, rallies, etc.

Just a thought
The benefit of joining is not the Blue Beret, it is the rallies, caravans and meeting many wonderful Airstream owners. You cannot participate in the rallies and caravans unless you are a member.

Bill
Just my personal opinion

Old 10-07-2009, 03:20 PM   #14
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested View Post
You know the BBO or Blue Beret Online, even sounds great.

Hey did you see the latest in the BBO? Color pictures won't be an issue for expense and could really enhance the experience and online reading convenience is very conducive to inspiring new authors. I think the size of the magazine could now be expanded and the coupons region news and new member pages could really be offset by many new editorials and articles of interest diversifying from the former norm and allocation of space. Size could vary to allow for inclusion or exception and not be based on specifications each month. A search agent would be very nice for archiving and researching info. Might even be able to sell the DVDs of particular columns or special or unique relevance for extra revenue for the club. Monthly newsletters could also be linked from the newletter page which I think would promote and raise the quality and quantity of unit newsletters beyond the present impetus of a unit award.

I like the idea of the online BB being expanded. If it is expanded the International could be promoted over even more pages. Promoting the International is the purpose of the BB is it not? Every month it is 50% how great the next International is going to be and why you need to attend. My daughter did make the cover this month. It is great to find out she is the future of the WBCCI.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 05:28 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

Meridian , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot View Post
Charlie,

Where would one find the October Newsletter from Mr. Collier?

Bill
That would be up to your Region Officers as the receivers of the newsletter.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:04 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
That would be up to your Region Officers as the receivers of the newsletter.
Have any regions posted the letter on their web site?

Bill
Just my personal opinion

Old 10-08-2009, 11:57 AM   #17
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Charlie -

I think it is great that the leadership hopes that by increasing the readership of the BB by placing it online, perhaps the increase in readership will result in more advertising dollars for the club! Good thinking!

Oh - here's an idea along those lines: Suppose the club figures a way to get advertising revenue from its web site!

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 10:29 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
Palukaville , Delaware
Ooo...

As a new Airstream owner I was very interested in having the opportunity to see the club newsletter up close and personal.

And, having read much of the "ballyhoo" on this site, and others, about the WBCCI this gave me one more "thing" to use in my evaluation of the organization from the perspective of, "Is it for me?".

From what I have seen in the numerous photos the WBCCI membership is definitely too OOO for me.

Old

Overweight

Outdated

Geesh, one would think that a club that represents the marque for a major RV manufacturer would present itself through its major publication as having members from more than the "Geritol" set.

"Start the bubble machine" must be the first words at all of the meetings.
Buckaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 05:18 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
To Buckaroo,
The club is structured to give the most benefits to the people who have time to partake of them. That means, there will be a predominance of newly retired people in the club. If you join and partake of the shorter weekend local benefits during your working years, you will eventually age into being one of those old people who get to enjoy the longer events that the national club provide. That is what happened to us.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:41 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightdi View Post
To Buckaroo,
The club is structured to give the most benefits to the people who have time to partake of them. That means, there will be a predominance of newly retired people in the club. If you join and partake of the shorter weekend local benefits during your working years, you will eventually age into being one of those old people who get to enjoy the longer events that the national club provide. That is what happened to us.
I second what Dwight said.. I Joined in 1972 and attended the first Bozeman Rally in 73 So I can identify with the problems of the younger members. I was 31 at the time.
None the less i have developed friendships with older members that go back that far. Although some of those folks are now in there 90's we still keep in touch.
It would be good to see what is going on on the local level. The WDCU has many younger members with families as does the Vintage Intra club
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote