Old 05-24-2004, 07:18 AM   #57
4 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Just a thought.

A club that does not evolve to meet the needs of a new generation dies with the old generation. If the old generation wants to see the club survive their death, it is their responsibility to evolve the club, and its forms, and its rules, to meet what the new generation needs to enter and continue the club. Other clubs do it regularly. We haven't done it yet

Old 05-24-2004, 08:04 AM   #58
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I agree. I see WBCCI as a mostly dying group. Sure there will be isolated pockets of groups 30 years from now if they stay the current course (for sure at least the SC and CO units, maybe even the MO, FL and TX units that a few forum members belong to that are thinking outside the box.

I'd disagree that as I get older, I'd want to be part of the stuffy local units out there. I mean, my father is different than my grandfather was as I will be different than my father is at his age. Getting older does not mean that since I too will be in the "golden years" at some point that I will need Depends nor seek out a local stale unit to suit my needs.

WBCCI was once a wonderful org. It does appear to be trying to change...some local units faster than the general larger org. I'm currently of the opinion that I too will not waste my time, money or energy on WBCCI. It's just not a good fit for us locally. I will say that if the club "local" changes to my liking, I might re-join, but I have no time to sit down and hash out a game plan to change it. Between work and actually using my Safari, there is just no time. Some will say if you want an org to change you have to make it change. I don't agree with that. I feel if they want the younger gen to come, they have to build it and they will come. I mean really, pay dues to do work on changing a unit and WBCCI in general or pay fees to actually camp, go to non forum based informal rallys (like the 2 informal midwest rallys that do work for us--sorry shameless plug).....see where I'm coming from? The cookie here for some of the WBCCI units is simple. Change or end. My local club about 6 months ago sent me a letter to renew (the free year). I wrote cancel and mailed it back. The one good thing that happened as a result, I stopped getting newsletters with pics of folks on oxygen (no offense meant).

Old 05-24-2004, 09:09 AM   #59
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
1976 27' Overlander
Newport , Washington
I too will join then....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
The one good thing that happened as a result, I stopped getting newsletters with pics of folks on oxygen (no offense meant).
Like I said earlier in this thread, hearing about everyone's 'golden aged' issues isn't going to do it for me. WHen I see as many younger people's pictures in the newsletter, as I did Older folks' pictures, then I'll join....
ROn
Old 05-24-2004, 09:18 AM   #60

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I've never gone to a unit rally and heard anyone complaining about their 'golden age' issues. I do hear them telling me about all the places they've travelled, all the ups and downs that come with it. Stories about axels breaking, fridges coming open in mid-trip, flat tires and other challenges. They've also told me about places they fish, what the Alaska Highway is really like, and trips across the continent or halfway across the world to places I'm probably not going to see anytime soon. And I'm not talking about trips they made before I was born, I'm talking about trips they made since the last rally! I've never seen a member on oxygen or one complaining about their infirmities. The only thing I have seen is a generous, outgoing, compassionate group of people who happen to have a lot more years of experience on this planet than I do.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 09:50 AM   #61
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
WOW
I must be an odd ball. I just got back from my unit Rally. I'm the younges member (36) and I couldn't bring my Airstream. They had no problem with the pop-up I'm currently using. I don't drink so that is not a problem. I have to admit that I do not understand the "who ha" over a no drinking policy, is one weekend or a week with out beer or some other adult beverage that bad??? Maybe it the fact that I do not drink that keeps me from understanding.

As for the "rituals", I can't complain there ether, a pledg to the US flag, club meeting, no big deal. I like the fact that grace is said at each meal, but that is just me. Heck I was thrilled that we had a Sunday morning church service.

Our rally was great even if it rained about 75% of the time. I learned a lot from the other members. Seeing the other trailers, hearing what works and what doesn't from so many people is really helping me get my plan together for my trailer.

To each, his(or her) own.....
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
1967/8 Overlander International Twin w/ bunk/s.
Yes, four kids and two adults in the thing.
Happy wife, happy life.
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 11:40 AM   #62
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
I repeat

I find it astonishing that so many disinterested people find time to talk about it.

If they spent half the time they do bashing the WBCCI on participation, they would have nothing to bash.

Reminds me of an old Forum member, "Hex". He literally spent hours on this forum writing posts and comments of his distaste for Airstreams. I never could figure out what his life was........he is gone now, maybe he got a life.

Love taps!

Smily
Old 05-24-2004, 12:51 PM   #63
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Well said, Stephanie. Your voice shows that you are a person of warmth and compassion yourself. I hope someday we meet you at a rally!
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 01:32 PM   #64
2 Rivet Member

Thanks to Jack Canavera:

I had the pleasure of meeting of Jack Canavera this weekend (he's the main guy of the St. Louis, MO. chapter - I don't pay attention to titles )

After a short, open discussion about any question/concerns/issues...we feel a lot better and more welcome than ever!!!!!
Thanks for listening, Jack
Old 05-24-2004, 01:48 PM   #65
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Another great rally

Just returned from a unit rally and the trailer is packed to pull out at about 5:30 AM tomorrow morning for Pennsylvania.

Maybe we have an exceptional unit (Hell, I know we have an exceptional unit!), but we had about 25 Airstreams there and several younger couples plus a lot of younger visitors including my daughter.

There is certainly no prohibition against siocial alcohol in our unit. One of the "events" during the rally was a tour of a local winery and a wine tasting. Last rally, we also had a wine tasting. There were bottles of wine at all of our happy hours as well as beer. There would be a general rebellion if you told our members they couldn't have a can of beer!

We saw a great live comedy as a group and many of us went to the bluegrass jam and I got in a little banjo playing. I gave up at midnight, but many of the group stayed till 2 am. Not bad for a group that is reputed to turn in at 9 pm!

We have Battle of the Bulge veterans and WW II Air force Pilots in our group and they are still active and on their way to International in a couple of weeks.

Interesting to note that our unit split from another local unit who were a "do nothing" unit. The other unit is struggling whil our unit is gaining members.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 02:17 PM   #66

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by panub
I had the pleasure of meeting of Jack Canavera this weekend (he's the main guy of the St. Louis, MO. chapter - I don't pay attention to titles )

After a short, open discussion about any question/concerns/issues...we feel a lot better and more welcome than ever!!!!!
Thanks for listening, Jack
Gush, Gush you are so nice Panub. Although I'm a trustee of the local unit (sort of sounds like something from a prison movie) I might be classified as the unit director of non conformists.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 02:25 PM   #67
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Smiley, you did more "bashing" than anyone on this thread. So point that finger at yourself.

What it all comes down to is the WBCCI can never be all things, to all people. So why argue? Either the WBCCI appeals to you or it doesn't. You will either join because the group is appealing or you won't. Either you get something out of it or you don't. Some people will love the WBCCI the way it is. Some people do not care for the way it is.

Personally, I am on the fence. I just don't care for rallies that feature oaths, pledges, flags, worship services, etc. as their activities. My vacation time is SO PRECIOUS and LIMITED that I must do the things I am interested in. I just can't waste a week at a rally doing meaningless (to me) ceremonies. But I like the idea of kicking back informaly with a group of A/Ss at a campground for 1 or 2 days- 3 max. Hmmmm.....sounds like a forum rally.

So, what I say above is "bashing" the club, right? I don't see it as bashing but....well....whatever.

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 02:57 PM   #68
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dee
Smiley, you did more "bashing" than anyone on this thread. So point that finger at yourself..

You crack me up!

Smily
Old 05-24-2004, 04:50 PM   #69
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Big Dee,

I have to say that the WBCCI is hearing this from many members, my wife and I included. I can offer a few suggestions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dee
I wanted to attend the Region 12 Rally. All set to send in the coupon and I see that it's $145 rally fee. Well, I am a working stiff and would only be able to come for Friday & Saturday night. That's $145 for two nights? I don't think so. OK, so they make no provision for working/family members on the coupon. Very discouraging.

ALL of the coupons in the Blue Beret have only fees for attending the FULL 5-7 day rallies. No provision for paying by day. EXCEPT for Region 5/Indianna Unit's coupon. They are the only unit to offer pay by day and seperate the fees: parking, rally, and banquet.
In many cases there is a pro-rated rally fee, but it is not published in the Blue Beret. If you contact the rally coordinator, or the treasurer they can normally tell you if there is one and what it is. This is something new that is being done and there has been support for it from many rally coordinator's. The majority of the attendees will be there for the whole rally so the form in most cases are kept as simple as possible.

Quote:
There are very few email addresses on the coupons. Most communication is by snail mail. Another clue as to the demos of the club. And it discourages me from attending the Region 12 Rally if I can't ask questions about fees by email.
This is the case for many of the members that travel. Some have e-mail, some do not. This will change as the membership of the club becomes more computer savvy. Most of the rally coordinators travel extensively and have mail forwarded or have planned stops back home to get it. The club has not caught up with the Internet generation yet. It is getting there, but will take time. Sometimes there is also a phone number. If you have your directory you can look up the address of the contact and get a phone number from the internet based phone book.

Quote:
Region 12 Rally has a Halloween theme, with a costume parade. Now I assume since they make no provision for working families that this will be seniors walking the loop in costumes? I don't know what to make of that. Will they be trick-or-treating? Yikes!
I doubt that all of them will be trick or treating, but they will be having fun none the less.

Quote:
Maybe I'll stick to Forum Rallies, which are really my cup of tea. What do I need my WBCCI membership for, then?
There are units that are active and fun, others are less active, but it works for them. I know of a few of both kinds. All I can recommend is to contact a unit membership chairman and ask to drop by a rally sans trailer. Normally a visitor is welcome with open arms and you can at least try to get a feel of the members of that unit in a face to face way. This does not require a full weekend of travel or camping and may offer a better understanding of the intangibles that a rally , unit or otherwise offers.

Quote:
Look at that group picture on the inside back cover. Nice folks I am sure, but it looks like an AARP picnic.
Just because they look old does not mean that they will act old or have old feeble minds. This is judging a book by it's cover in the worst way. At our active rallies the "old timers" are normally still going when I am ready to drop from exhaustion.

Quote:
And finally, big news in the Blue Beret. The opening ceremonies of the International were not long enough. They have added the Canadian military anthem. Now, how many anthems is that?
The flag ceremony and it's length is something that is under discussion among the members. We all have opinions, but if you are not in the club the opinion that you voice may not be counted like those that are in the club. The ceremony is optional for all members. If you are not an officer with assigned duties you do not need to attend, so why is the length an issue?
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 05:21 PM   #70
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
1976 27' Overlander
Newport , Washington
Well.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by smily
I find it astonishing that so many disinterested people find time to talk about it.

If they spent half the time they do bashing the WBCCI on participation, they would have nothing to bash.

Smily
If the Old Farts that bug us so much would spend more time and interest reading this forum, and not out vacationing, and rallying, and doing what retired people do, maybe they one of them would put their oxygen down and invite younger more exciting events into their rallys.

If I sat down to have dinner at a non christian event, and was subjected to saying grace and morning church service, I would be very unhappy, just as I expect my non religious views will cause others to be unhappy.

Love and prosperity,

Ron