Old 05-18-2004, 02:18 AM   #43
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Free Membership??? seems to be a bit of a double standard -if I purchased a new Airstream, Airstream Corp throws you a free membership but if I buy used and become a member for the first time my fees are not waived - is it really that different???? Guess I should have dropped that 30-70K instead of the 4K.
Actually, as I understand it, the "Free Year" was just for a couple of years to see if it made a difference in membership numbers...then it was discontinued. In our Unit, the "free" year is/was paid by the dealer that sold the new trailer....so it's really, not "free"...just not paid by the member, well what's $60 on a $30,000+ trailer!

BTW, our first year Unit dues were waived by the club, even being new owners of a "vintage" trailer...so there really wasn't a double standard.

Shari

WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 06:54 AM   #44
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Uplifting comments

It was a breath of fresh air to receive a PM with the following comments from a WBCCI member who is only 35 years old, That is even younger than I.
His quote follows:

"My take on internet disccussion boards in general is that too many of the members have the know it all attitude, that is "you can ask them anything that you want to know, but can't tell them anything". I know of nobody else in our Unit that post on the internet. These "old fogeys" are too busy traveling and enjoying life to sit at a computer screen. They're all an inspiration to a "young guy" like me. I read a post the other day somewhere that said "I wouldn't join the WBCCI because I am a vegaterian and couldn't eat the food." Chevy trucks are not for everyone, the Baptist Church is not for everyone, T-Bone steaks are not for everyone, and The WBCCI is not for everyone."
end quote.

I find it ironic that the most discussed subject by a majority of the forum is always the WBCCI. Some would argue that there are other threads that have more hits, but collectively, all of the threads on the WBCCI are the most replied to, by far!
Even more fascinating, the replies come from both members and non-members of the WBCCI.

I can only guess that this is an indication of a desire to be a member, even the ones who have not joined. I take it like love taps from adolescent children.
The boys always picked on the girls because that was the only way they could display their affection.
I hear you folks loud and clear, you want to be members but only if it suits you. Thats cool with me.

As another forum member identified above, the club will be around when you too reach retirement, and ye will seek its brotherhood.

Smily

Old 05-18-2004, 06:58 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
... paid by the dealer that sold the new trailer....so it's really, not "free"...just not paid by the member, well what's $60 on a $30,000+ trailer!

BTW, our first year Unit dues were waived by the club, even being new owners of a "vintage" trailer...so there really wasn't a double standard.

Shari

You mean you really don't get anything for "free" these days.

Shari sounds like you have a great Club. And this is really another point we should consider - not all clubs are equal - each has the basic International "Regs" shall we say - but then each has their own atonomy to improve the level of their clubs organization, administration and activities and events.

Well I hope to learn a lot about the WBCCI and eventually hope to get involved somehow (once we can poke our heads out from the restoration) - I do a lot of tongue wagging here and it is a great forum - I see as many WBCCI members as non- members so you can get a really good prospective.

For a single reason for recruiting our Membership it would have to be Nastalgia. Going the Vintage Route - primarily was due to financial restrictions - yes there are additional expenses but when added up they are still a fraction of a new Coach today.
Old 05-18-2004, 11:03 AM   #46
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
WBCCI and cold beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tin can luv
I hate to say this, but the one and only local WBCCI newsletter I read, had pictures of mostly MUCH older retired folks, and there was a nice article about someone having their galbladder (sp?) removed. Unfortunately...that made such a negative impression on me, that I have not bothered to check back for more.

Ron
The first time I sipped a cold beer was from my Uncle's unguarded can when I was 13 years old. UGH! It left a horribly bitter impression, and I vowed never to try beer again. Who would ever want to drink such a vile liquid?

But as I grew older and marginally wiser, I relented and sipped more beers. Some were nutty and to my liking while others were more hoppy than that very first bitter Schlitz. Subsequent sipping taught me there is a wide variety of beers to be enjoyed around the country. I've learned from different beers to refine my taste. Not every beer is to my liking, but I've discovered many beers that really hit the spot. As do other first disappointments, like Scotch and Maragaritas, both acquired tastes that one appreciates over time.

In the last 40 years I've grown and moved well beyond my initial favorite drink, the now sickly sweet Singapore Sling. But at 16, it's was the best drink ever. I'm glad I stuck with drinking instead of vowing to forever avoid beer after my first bitter disappointment. You may discover some unexpected delights in trailering if you think of the WBCCI as cold beer.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 11:47 AM   #47

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Van
I dont want them to change to suit me, nor would i attempt to make them change. I am sure the the folks that are part of the clubs, while a lot could be my grandparents, are great people and i would get a long with them well.

We just have nothing in common besides owning an Airstream product.

My inlaws joined the local chapter last year and related their experience at the rally they attended. In their early 50s, they were the youngsters of the gathering.

-Pet owners are segregated to a seperate area
-drinks must be in a cup or paper bag(wha? Almost feel like i would have to hide out behind my trailer, slumped up against the side of it secretly drinking my beer)
-They had to stand up and recite an oath of some sort in front of the whole gathering to become members.
Van, that's my club! The Oregon Unit, right?

See, here's the problem, I think you and I have the same goals, but I'm the only one under 50 in the Oregon Unit, trying to make a difference. I've got all these great plans for simple rallys that would be more like forum rallies, and that I think folks our age, working families, pet people etc would enjoy. I'm really going to start making stuff happen next year. It would be great if I could get all the young people/families on this forum who are in our area to join us for a year and see what we could do if we all worked together.

There's a lot of older members who have told me that the simple weekend rallies is the way it used to be, with families getting together for the weekend so their kids could play with the other kids and families could go camp out together. They'd like to see it this way again.

It's a chicken and the egg thing, what comes first, the younger people, or the younger people rallies? I'm getting nothing but support from the older members for my ideas. They really aren't a bad group. They never segregated us when we showed up with our pets. We had to say a little oath when we joined, but they didn't haze us or anything. I've never seen anyone wearing a beret. They do have a thing about drinking, I don't get that. Maybe someone knows what the deal is about that - was Wally a non-drinker?

But anyway, it's a good group, and I hope I can organize some rallies that will be more fun for us working stiffs. My only worry is if any working stiffs will be interested and want to show up.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 02:47 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Depends on the unit, I guess

Our bottle of wine goes with us to every happy hour and many rally dinners. We take it out in the open and there has never been a comment about it from anyone. We were discouraged from bring wine into the meeting room at an Airstream park; that's OK, we asked first because we figured there might be a problem and we had no problems leaving the wine in the trailer.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 09:26 PM   #49
4 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
From what I have heard from older members of the club, Wally was quite a lush and a womanizer. Left his wife home and took a different "lady" with him on the caravans. I don't understand the need to put adult beverages in a cup. We are all of legal age++
Old 05-18-2004, 09:35 PM   #50
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmickle
I don't understand the need to put adult beverages in a cup. We are all of legal age++
After seeing the extraordinary number of beer cans stashed behind logs and tossed helter-skelter through the woods surrounding our campsite this past weekend, a requirement of cups may not be the worst idea I have heard lately.

Mark
Old 05-19-2004, 11:32 AM   #51
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Joshua Tree , California
Maybe it is just a way to avoid conflicts with open container laws. Every state is different, and campgrounds have their own rules as well. If the group bases its alchoholic beverage rule on the most commonly used law, they are less likely to run afoul of it, otherwise they would have to have a different set of rules for every get together which would be confusing.

We live in a much more regulated time regarding alcohol consumption than when Wally was caravaning. On the other hand, spending time with someone other than one's wife (or husband) isn't quite as taboo.
Old 05-19-2004, 02:28 PM   #52

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
The old timers from my unit have told me that its more of an image thing. They feel that it cheapens the organization if the group is seen partaking of the beverage together.

I use a can wrap to keep the folks happy.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 03:46 PM   #53
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Joshua Tree , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
The old timers from my unit have told me that its more of an image thing. They feel that it cheapens the organization if the group is seen partaking of the beverage together.

I use a can wrap to keep the folks happy.

Jack
Quote:
Originally Posted by Van
-drinks must be in a cup or paper bag(wha? Almost feel like i would have to hide out behind my trailer, slumped up against the side of it secretly drinking my beer)...
The old timers are entitled to their opinion, but
um yeah, drinking out of a paper bag is very discreet.
At this point I feel as though I am heading toward the slippery slope of my personal opinion vs. what the neighbors think. I am not ashamed of my friends who drink. And I'm getting us off topic.

I stand by my idea that the club is simply conforming to the open container laws in most states. Unless I am misunderstanding, and this is an isolated circumstance, not club policy at all rallies.
Old 05-19-2004, 04:18 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
I know that the regional parks around here require a permit and a liability insurance policy to have alchoholic beverages in group areas. Is real easy to reserve a group area unless there is alchohol. Then it becomes troublesome process.

So we will have to use cups at the Laguna Seca Rally because there is a ranger on duty 24 hr.s But maybe if we can get a few of those "beverages" in him, he won't mind.

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 05:00 PM   #55
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
Exclamation "Uplifting Comment" based on a Misreference and Wrong

I realized in catching up on posts here that one of my own posts has been misreferenced in an undisclosed Private Message that Smiley quotes in his previous message ("Uplifting Comment") in this thread. Since I've verified in the archives that it was indeed my entry that was misconstrued, I would like to set the record straight and to note my own objections to the misuse of my original post.

This is in reference to another thread ("What's the problem?....")(http://www.airforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=11219), where Grogan requested feedback on what factors were causing folks not to attend the Region 3 rally. Since we had considered attending, I decided to provide respectful but clear feedback on why we decided not to go. In its original context, it was received in the constructive spirit it was intended. Indeed, I tried to emphasize this in my opening to my original post:

"Since you are asking, I figure I'll give you my take. I hope you see this as constructive and not damaging, but it's my honest take as someone who doesn't plan to attend. Remember--it's just an opinion--and others may differ."

The passage that the unknown author of this PM misrepresented was the following:

"I notice that you mention meals and shows [are] included in the price. As a vegetarian, I rarely can eat what's offered, so meals are a waste unless a veg option is offered. Pot lucks appeal to everyone--plus folks have so much fun sharing favorite foods."

In its original context, the food was shown as only one of many factors that led us not to decide to attend that event. It wasn't the only reason--indeed, my vegetarian status has rarely been the deciding factor for any attendence--although certainly it is a consideration.

Finally, I am indeed a current, up to date member of WBCCI. Indeed, the original poster in the thread (Grogan) only asked for feedback from WBCCI members. Actually, I'm in a unit, get the magazine and also am in the VAC. I even go to rallys. Frankly, I am a long, long ways from retirement. Maybe WBCCI will be around then, maybe not--but I think there will always be a core group of folks dedicated to using and restoring these lovely aluminum babies.

Out of context and misreferenced, the PM's reference not only was incorrect, it also ignored all the other reasons we gave to a complicated decision. It all actually is a kind of defamation.

Smiley, there probably was no way you could know that the content of the PM was wrong, so I am not in fact upset at you. But please understand that that the "breath of fresh air" is in reality a foul odor that stinks. Especially to me, since my words were misused. Please excuse me if I decline and disavow myself from these kind of offensive "love taps."

I hope you reconsider that PM's content.

Thank you,

Mary

PS In reviewing this note today, I noticed that there are hyperlinks embeded in your message ("Uplifting Comment") to spamlike sites entirely unrelated to Airstreams (to an ad site and a dating service). Were you aware they are there? Worse still--the sites seed spyware bots to anyone who clicks them (I removed the tags from the quote below, fwiw).

Quote:
Originally Posted by smily
It was a breath of fresh air to receive a PM with the following comments from a WBCCI member who is only 35 years old, That is even younger than I.
His quote follows:

"My take on internet disccussion boards in general is that too many of the members have the know it all attitude, that is "you can ask them anything that you want to know, but can't tell them anything". I know of nobody else in our Unit that post on the internet. These "old fogeys" are too busy traveling and enjoying life to sit at a computer screen. They're all an inspiration to a "young guy" like me. I read a post the other day somewhere that said "I wouldn't join the WBCCI because I am a vegaterian and couldn't eat the food." Chevy trucks are not for everyone, the Baptist Church is not for everyone, T-Bone steaks are not for everyone, and The WBCCI is not for everyone."
end quote.

I find it ironic that the most discussed subject by a majority of the forum is always the WBCCI. Some would argue that there are other threads that have more hits, but collectively, all of the threads on the WBCCI are the most replied to, by far!
Even more fascinating, the replies come from both members and non-members of the WBCCI.

I can only guess that this is an indication of a desire to be a member, even the ones who have not joined. I take it like love taps from adolescent children.
The boys always picked on the girls because that was the only way they could display their affection.
I hear you folks loud and clear, you want to be members but only if it suits you. Thats cool with me.

As another forum member identified above, the club will be around when you too reach retirement, and ye will seek its brotherhood.

Smily
Old 05-19-2004, 05:41 PM   #56
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
I noticed on the WBCCI forum that a conversation is developing that connects to this one. I think it is interesting and relevant that they are referencing this forum. This could result in a good sharing of ideas and some positive action for fuller consideration of the needs of and inclusion of diverse Airstreamers. Surely the WBCCI is big enough in concept to offer a wealth of Airstreaming opportunities, the traditional activities of past as well as more some new designs such as casual activities to fit different interests. WBCCI: branches of activities. If we all love AS and want to be a part of that organization built around them, then we all ought to be able to fit under the same umbrella! So, let's join, love the history of the past, and give our energies to refreshing the present. What have we done? Joined as members at large until we find the local unit that fits us. Just my thoughts.

Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote