Old 03-06-2004, 02:23 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
Its neat to see another Airstsream in the rest area or at a campground with numbers. I pull out my book, look-up the number and find out the person's name, where they are from, and what caravans they have been on. When I go over to introduce myself I already have some knowledge of who I will be talking with and a little bit about them.
Going to rallys and traveling in carvans of other WBCCI members is a great way to see this big beautiful county of ours. I'm leaving on April 15 to go to our Commonwealt Rally and from there we are taking off with another Wally couple to head out on the Southwest Adventure. We will be gone 2 months and will travel about 8k miles with other Airstreamers. I love my Red numbers.
Big Red Number 3485

Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 03:32 PM   #58
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Big Red Numbers

Greetings Tarheel!

I agree! It marked one of the happiest day's in my life when I added the Big Red Number 6359 to my coach. It was only several days later that I realized that my fear of heights had gotten the best of me my Big Red Number actually looked more like: 6E59.

While I don't often find WBCCI members traveling the highways that I frequent, when I do, my Membership Directory is at my side.

This summer, my WBCCI plans include more Rallys than caravans. I am hoping to attend the Region 4 Rally, the International Rally, and the Rocky Mountain Region VAC Rally. I am hoping that there will be a Wagon Wheel pre-Rally or Caravan to the International; but plans have yet to be announced.

I truly enjoy my membership in the WBCCI and all of the travel experiences that I have gained.

Kevin

Big Red Number: 6359

WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 04:46 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
We do our Tidewater rallys during the summer but not a lot of real traveling. Too many people on the highways and its a time that the grandkids come to visit. As much as I love traveling it can't compare to time spent with them. As soon as school is about to begin (late August) we feel the need to hook-up and move out, just want to be back in time for Thanksgiving and Chistmas. After the holidays its time to go again until spring is just around the corner. We meet so many interesting people and see sites that I have only dreamed about. It is a wonderful lifestyle.

Rick
Old 03-06-2004, 11:02 PM   #60
Rivet Master

1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to wingfoot321
You all are voicing my sentiments exactly. WBCCI 1611

Jan,Feb, Mar in the rio grande valley

April - Region 6 springtime in the smokies

June 4 - Homecoming In Jackson center

June 18 - Lansing international rally (going early to work)

Next year - Alaska caravan

I am continually amazed at the active lifestyle of the WBCCI folks I have met so far. They don't quit. Through medical hardships of all kinds, loss of life partner, etc. I suspect the active lifestyle has something to do with longevity.

I do see the problems for those of us not yet retired.
Old 03-07-2004, 09:19 AM   #61
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
Wingfoot, we are signed up for the 2006 Alaska Caravan. We won't make the international this year or the Jackson Center as we will still be coming home from the Southwest Caravan when the homecoming is going on in Ohio and the international is just too much too soon for us. I would love to hear your comments about the Alaska when you return. I am looking forward to the international next year and we will join the Alaska when international is over.
Old 08-17-2004, 05:32 AM   #62
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas
hmmm,?

Now this has got me wondering more as to why the WBCCI charges what, 60 bucks a year for membership and some of us will end up paying nearly 40 bucks to get a set of decent quality, user friendly numbers? What gives?

I guess I should enjoy the one year free membership while it lasts, huh?

Chas
WBCCI annual membership is $45.00. I paid $15.00 for two sets of numbers from a sign shop.

Charlie
HURST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 07:18 PM   #63
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
Capt'n Charlie did the sign shop numbers look like the Wally ones and what kind of quality? A lof of us would like to have a good set of numbers.
Do you go to local rallys? They are a lot of fun and you meet a lot of interesting people.
Region Rallys gives you a chance to see and meet people from all over your area. There are few places that you might want to go that these folks have not already been, and they are more than willing to share some of the hidden treasures that are not in the tour books.
The national caravans are a bargin. You get a chance to see things in this beautiful country of ours for a bargin basement cost. The planning work has already been done for you and all you have to do is show up.
Have you ever priced some of the other caravans outside of the WBCCI organization. I know ours aren't free but they are considerably less expensive than the others out there and we have a common thread.
I have had big red numbers 3485 for 5 years and hope to have them for many years to come.
Old 08-17-2004, 08:19 PM   #64
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
I have to laugh at all the stories of everyone managing their BIG RED NUMBERS--laugh and appreciate our PO who gave us permission to transfer the number they had on their trailer to our new membership. Boy, was that easy for us Also, has anyone else noticed the stars-or ghosts of stars above the red numbers? Only when I was up high polishing this summer did I discover 4 shadows of stars. If my research is right, members received a star for each ten years of WBCCI membership. I guess the original owner of Gypsy purchased her new after years of ownership of other Airstreams. Endlessly interesting-even a quagmire of info connected to this obsession!
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 08:30 PM   #65
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Each star is 5 years
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 06:06 AM   #66
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel
Capt'n Charlie did the sign shop numbers look like the Wally ones and what kind of quality? A lof of us would like to have a good set of numbers.
Do you go to local rallys? They are a lot of fun and you meet a lot of interesting people.
Region Rallys gives you a chance to see and meet people from all over your area. There are few places that you might want to go that these folks have not already been, and they are more than willing to share some of the hidden treasures that are not in the tour books.
The national caravans are a bargin. You get a chance to see things in this beautiful country of ours for a bargin basement cost. The planning work has already been done for you and all you have to do is show up.
Have you ever priced some of the other caravans outside of the WBCCI organization. I know ours aren't free but they are considerably less expensive than the others out there and we have a common thread.
I have had big red numbers 3485 for 5 years and hope to have them for many years to come.
Tarheel, I took the numbers that WBCCI sent me to the sign shop and they made high quality vinyl numbers that look just like the ones from WBCCI. All on a sheet and spaced out and easy to put on.
Our Unit has 10 rallys a year plus the Region 3 and Internation and I do attend. We have 6 units that just completed the Maple Leaf Caravan. Several in the Big Bend Floriida Unit have been on caravans. American SW Adventure, Alyeska, The Great Land, American Civil War, Golf is lead by our own Larry and Carol Strong. So yes WBCCI carvans are a great bargin. We are trying to get on the stanby list for Alyeska 2006.

Capt. Charlie
Old 08-18-2004, 10:47 AM   #67
Rivet Master

Dallas , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by HURST
Our Unit has 10 rallys a year plus the Region 3 and Internation and I do attend.
Don't forget the Florida State Rally! That's where I first met y'all
Old 08-18-2004, 11:47 AM   #68
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edie G
Don't forget the Florida State Rally! That's where I first met y'all

Sorry Edie, I did overlook Florida State, and it's my favorite. Shame on me
Old 09-27-2004, 06:57 PM   #69
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
MaxandGeorgia the stars are for 5 years and I have seen some ( not many ) with 8 stars on them. We will be attending the Madi Gras rally this February then leave there and head on down to the Florida State. We will also be at Region 3 in Winston Salem and when that is over a group of us are heading for the Top of Georgia to spend a few days with some good folks.
Old 09-27-2004, 07:17 PM   #70
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
One of my favorite members of the DenCO Unit is an 'Eight Star General'...Ray Deselms, he is over 90 years old. He attended the RMVAC Rally this year with his travelling companion Sparky Bryant...they have travelled together for over 40 years dating back to when their respective spouses were still alive. He pulls his '62 Overlander (original owner) with his B-Van, so they each have their own place to stay. Aren't they cute!?

Shari
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Deselms.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	8884   Click image for larger version

Name:	B van & Overlander.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	8885  

Click image for larger version

Name:	#6695.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	8899  

WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote