Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2017, 09:29 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
Fleetwood , North Carolina
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCMEDIC View Post
Why doesn't WBCCI supply the numbers on a transparent sheet? It would make installation a lot simpler.
The Club wants to move to custom number sheets for members. Better service for members because numbers will already be arrayed on an application sheet. And did I worry I was putting on my numbers in the right order? Won't be a problem either.

We're working on this and expect to work out all details in several months. Thanks for the good idea!

Jim N5RTG
dreamstreamr.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 10:43 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamStreamr View Post
The Club wants to move to custom number sheets for members. Better service for members because numbers will already be arrayed on an application sheet. And did I worry I was putting on my numbers in the right order? Won't be a problem either.

We're working on this and expect to work out all details in several months. Thanks for the good idea!

Just be careful - I know this from personal experience. I purchased a vinyl cling sheet with my numbers on it and left it on for a full season. It created some sort of blemish/corrosion underneath the clear coat that the factory could not fix. It's not the me of the world, but it did damage the aluminum. Perhaps putting it on only when needed (e.g., at a rally/on a caravan) and taking off otherwise is a good practice. Or apply tot he window and not the aluminum itself.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 11:38 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Montgomery , Texas
I didn't mind the application process for our numbers. One thing I did was to cut out the exact shape of the number before aligning & marking on the trailer. Having the backing material cut with the numbers would save that step, but that wasn't too much of an ordeal, either.

I'm picky about kerning (the space between letters/numbers), so I appreciate having the ability to line things up just the way I want them. I'm a designer by trade, so I'm into those kinds of things. I can understand how some people would rather stick numbers on quickly & easily, so they can focus on other things in life that they enjoy.
DaveMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 05:27 AM   #24
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Quote:

Curious if there has been any progress on this project?
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 01:26 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1978 25' Tradewind
1954 15' Byam Holiday
Vintage Kin Owner
Linden , Michigan
Same Olde Same O

I just received my NUMBERS, and they were individual as in the past.
Regards,
StevieB
StevieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 07:15 PM   #26
Site Team

2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieB View Post
I just received my NUMBERS, and they were individual as in the past.
Regards,
StevieB
How are you planning on displaying them?

I just ordered a new Globetrotter and it has a rear view camera attached where the numbers would normally be mounted.

How are others displaying their red numbers? Looking for ideas!
Old 01-21-2018, 07:40 PM   #27
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
When our camera was installed, we were concerned about same. Camera fit in the central number, so we are good for now. Alternative is to locate lower, use smaller, locate on plexiglass in the rear window or install on the bumper. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 01:19 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
Fleetwood , North Carolina
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans627 View Post
Curious if there has been any progress on this project?
The Club is trying to get this working before Summer.

We hope members may find this an easier way to apply numbers. It still allows members flexibility, if they want, to manually kern the numbers by cutting between them and applying individually. The die-cut vinyl numbers will be automatically kerned on transfer sheet (not clear film).

More details to you as soon as we can. Thanks for your interest.

Jim N5RTG
dreamstreamr.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 01:53 PM   #29
Site Team

2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Quote:
The Club is trying to get this working before Summer.

We hope members may find this an easier way to apply numbers. It still allows members flexibility, if they want, to manually kern the numbers by cutting between them and applying individually. The die-cut vinyl numbers will be automatically kerned on transfer sheet (not clear film).

More details to you as soon as we can. Thanks for your interest.
Thanks for the response. Just curious if it would be possible to get a size smaller numbers. The reason I ask is that our new AS has a rear camera where the number were on my old AS.

Again, thank you!
Old 01-26-2018, 05:31 PM   #30
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Thanks for the response. Just curious if it would be possible to get a size smaller numbers.
For a person with 20/20 vision, 8" tall letters or numbers can be read easily from a distance of about 225 feet or less; the rule of thumb used for traffic signs is 1" of height for each 28' of viewing distance (according the the Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices and the CoE Sign Standards Manual).

If memory serves, the standard height for Big Red Numbers is 8".

In the old days (just 6 years ago when I joined) they had sheets of instructions explaining in excruciating detail exactly how and where Big Red Numbers were to be placed. On every single type of Airstream except Interstates and Basecamps. For some reason the powers-that-be must have thought that no one with an Interstate or a Basecamp would ever join WBCCI and so instructions for applying numbers to those models weren't needed. So folks like me were free to mount ours any way we chose.

I went with the numbers reproduced on a magnetic sign that I stick on my Interstate's hood and one rear door at a rally, and leave off the rest of the time.

Nowadays, the powers-that-be aren't such sticks-in-the-mud, and all that matters is that if you're at a big rally like a Region or International, or on a caravan, that you display the numbers somewhere front and rear. Partly so emergency services can find you in the crowd if need be, and partly because of funny-but-true stories told of attendees who entered the wrong trailer by mistake, much to the embarrassment of both the offender and the trailer's real owners; word of caution, always remember where you parked your Airstream, AND always remember your number!

If the rear-view camera is in the way of mounting the numbers, go ahead and increase the spacing between digits to make room for the camera, or whatever other accommodation for the camera makes sense to you. They don't have "number police" anymore who will give you a hard time for being different.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:32 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Richfield/SLC , Utah
Big Red Numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
We left the round WBCCI emblem off of the Classic. We only installed the numbers when we went to the International event in 20

We also put the numbers on two plexiglas sheets that have removable suction cups for the 23D. We store the two plexiglas sheets under the mattress and the suction cups in a bag.

We need to install numbers this year for a unit caravan and trip to International in Salem. I like the above idea from Switz, and even found a photo (below) from Condoluminum from 2006 for something like this. Seems like a good way to go for one who doesn’t yet want to attach the numbers permanently (keep toying with the idea of an upgrade soon.)

Anyone got any other alternatives that they might suggest instead? And out of curiosity, what sort of reaction/comments (if any) might these non-standard numbers draw at International from WBCCI purists?

Our unit is friendly and pretty casual, so not putting up the numbers has been a non-issue. I understand the need for the numbers at these bigger rallies, and likely will permanently affix them once we land in a newer upgrade someday.

Thoughts, suggestions, photos, and/or observations would be appreciated from those well-versed in WBCCI matters.

Regards - Ron

Name:   IMG_1941.JPG
Views: 657
Size:  22.7 KB
Utah Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 10:22 PM   #32
Aluminum in 3-D

1968 28' Ambassador
Seaside , Oregon
Numbers are not as big an issue as they once were but at big rallies, they are a must, both for an emergency but more important to find friends. They all look the same. We have numbers on our trailer to say we are part of Wally's Community and it also gives Airstream history, in 30 years Airstream enthusiasts will be asking the history of your Big Red Numbers on your trailer, it's just fun.

Membership chair
Wally Byam Airstream Club
Past President Oregon Unit 090

Campfires, the original social media!
wbcci#29827

Check out the [URL="https://airstreamclub.org/"and Wally Byam Airstream Club on facebook
Blue Pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 02:21 PM   #33
Site Team

2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Ok, I'm finally getting around to putting my big red numbers on my 2018 GT. I plan to put them on the front above the window as most people do and like I've done on my previous AS.

However, my GT has a rear camera installed on the back. And since I have a 5 digit number, one of the digits is right in the center where the camera is located.

So what are the options? Are there smaller numbers that I could use (3 inch high numbers would work but are about half the size of the standard numbers)? Or what other ways are used to display the WBCCI numbers on the back or your AS if you have a rear view camera?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3047.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	155.5 KB
ID:	344361  
Old 06-24-2019, 03:19 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
The numbers police are not going to get you if you cut the top of the 7 to fit or use a smaller number.
Old 06-24-2019, 03:24 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Consider mounting the numbers on a clear plexiglas or lexan sheet and putting it over your window when you need to display it.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 03:30 PM   #36
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
We had same problem. The antenna fit in the 7. Your base looks larger, so our solution won't work.

Options - Mount numbers on rear window......add a zero in front and split the #s to each side so it centers.......buy shorter #s and apply under antenna or on bumper.......apply numbers in semi-circle........apply numbers slanted to right or left to clear.................... you'll find a way.

Nice to see numbers on a shiny. . Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 05:05 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
I believe WBCCI has slightly smaller numbers they can send you for this situation. Call the main office to confirm.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 03:17 PM   #38
Site Team

2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Overlander View Post
I believe WBCCI has slightly smaller numbers they can send you for this situation. Call the main office to confirm.
I contacted WBCCI and they can supply smaller numbers. They would have to be about 3" (half the size of the standard numbers). And I was told they are "acceptable" to WBCCI.

But I was thinking this might be another option. I've never seen this done but I think it would work. Thoughts?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3051.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	271.1 KB
ID:	344488  
Old 06-26-2019, 08:50 AM   #39
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Quote:
I contacted WBCCI and they can supply smaller numbers. They would have to be about 3" (half the size of the standard numbers). And I was told they are "acceptable" to WBCCI.

But I was thinking this might be another option. I've never seen this done but I think it would work. Thoughts?

Thanks!
I am sure opinions will vary about your idea. I have only seen one other Airstream fairly recently with the rear numbers below the window, likely for the same reason you are experiencing. Given the flexibility WBCCI has with options to put the numbers on a front window guard, rear window glass, or even a removable plexiglass panel, I would think there would be no official problem with your idea, but I do not officially speak for the club in this capacity. This is also not to say you won't ever run into an individual member that might express a different opinion. Most members won't care, though. Good luck with your decision. If in doubt, contact the office.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 03:01 PM   #40
Site Team

2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Overlander View Post
I am sure opinions will vary about your idea. I have only seen one other Airstream fairly recently with the rear numbers below the window, likely for the same reason you are experiencing. Given the flexibility WBCCI has with options to put the numbers on a front window guard, rear window glass, or even a removable plexiglass panel, I would think there would be no official problem with your idea, but I do not officially speak for the club in this capacity. This is also not to say you won't ever run into an individual member that might express a different opinion. Most members won't care, though. Good luck with your decision. If in doubt, contact the office.
FYI, the numbers below the window are acceptable to the club!