Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2004, 01:17 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Newbie questions.

What is the source and meaning of the large numbers on front and back of many airsteams.I just stumbled across and am in process of buying a mint side bath 31 ft 1976 Excella 500 but it does not and never has had these numbers.Also I noticed that this model comes with wrap around front windows and also some come with the smaller front window.Was the wrap around an option? Or does this result from internal layout?
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 01:26 AM   #2
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
The front and rear numbers are identifying umbers for the WBCCI ( see wbcci.com), the Airstream Club. They have nothing to do with anything else, and not having them is actually a good thing, because you won't have to remove them later...
I believe that the wrap windows were introduced in the late 60's, teh smaller front window was re-introduced in the budget series Safaris of the late 90's, all the way to the current models. Some Airstreams had very large wrap windows, like the Argosy models always had.
Old 06-25-2004, 07:11 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
if you buy it and choose to join the WBCCI, you can call and they will assign those numbers to you. Its easier then removing them. If you don't join it hurts nothing to leave them on there, but the club issues a book with names listed for all the numbers that are active, so it becomes a way for others to identify you on the road. If you want to be that is..

http://www.airforums.com/forum...477#post105477

:see this thread for example
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 09:14 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
Simon you owe it to yourself to get in touch with your local WBCCI group. They have many activities going on and it is a great place to get in touch with other Airstream owners. There are no new problems with Airstreams just new people discovering them. The "Old Timers" can provide a lot of insite plus give valuable information on where to go and how to get there. The friendships are something you have to experience to believe.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 01:06 AM   #5

1975 27' Overlander
Fort Worth , Texas
hey folks, I am new to Airstreaming having just inherited a 27 ft 1975 International Overlander from my dear deceased aunt and uncle Byron and Rita Scott - WBCCI number 11512 - and I am trying to learn as much about the "Tin Can", as Aunt Rita affectionately referred to our Overlander as, as I can. My Overlander was one of the last to be built at the Cerritos, Calif factory I am told. I recently had her in for maintenance at the Jackson Center factory and also joined WBCCI in my own right. Thanks to Deb Mann for allowing me to keep the same WBCCI number that Uncle Mick and Aunt Rita used for so many years.

The main reason I am typing now is to find out from you Airstream veterans what the best method is for removing old, dried big red numbers in preparation for applying my brand new replacement numbers. I have had several people suggest heating the old numbers with a hair dryer but the ones currently on the Airstream are too dried and crusty for that to work. As you would understand I am very concerned about not scratching or damaging the skin in this process.

Also, I currently do not own a vehicle capable of towing my Airstream and have had my sights set on a 3/4 ton pickup of some make/model (preferably diesel powered) for the job. Given the cost of such vehicles I am going to have to consider something less expensive. I have been told my Airstream can easily be towed with a 1/2 ton frame pickup properly equipped from the factory with the appropriate trailering equipment. My Airstream weighs 6200 lbs and has a 650 lb tongue weight I believe. I am open to anyone's suggestions and/or advice concerning a good tow vehicle for my model. I do not care if the vehicle is older and spartanly equipped - at this point I would be content to tow my Airstream to the nearest KOA, hook up and cook hamburgers! Just once! I am taking this process slowly to try and learn as much as possible and so that I acquire the correct tow equipment as I go along. Any information anyone would care to share would be appreciated.

Kyle Hill
jetfuel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 05:42 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
With you trailer weight and tongue weight any 1/2 ton gas engine full size pickup will tow it. There are many 1/2 tons rated to tow 10,000# or more. The real limiting factor with 1/2 tons is payload, but going to the scales will help you to know when you are overloaded with firewood or other cargo. The highest rated 1/2 ton has about 1,700# payload- subtract from that tongue weight, fuel, your family and pets, and camping gear. You will see payload disappears quickly. I am right at the limit, sometimes a little over, but the truck doesn't seem to know or care.
When you get in the rally zone you will notice about half of all Airstreams are towed by 1/2 ton trucks.
1/2 trucks have a slightly softer ride, which might matter if it is a daily driver. Mine is a daily driver sometimes when it is cold or raining.
Another important factor is fuel and oil changes are less for a 1/2 ton gas vs. a 3/4 ton diesel.
The very next post will most likely be telling you why you must have a 3/4 ton diesel- welcome to the forums-
I am a new WBCCI member (Mississippi Unit) but I have not received my big red numbers, yet. I am undecided about putting them on the trailer. I might put them on a piece of sign board and display them only at rallies in the front window or on the propane tanks- but then maybe I will just put them up there where they always are- I have seen trailers with red numbers displayed front and rear.
Great story, by the way...
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 08:50 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
Kyle, Welcome to the forums! That is a great story about inheriting a family treasure.
As stated before, a 1/2 ton pickup from 2005 to current with the 5.3 engine and a 3.42 rear gear will adequately tow your trailer. Remember GVWR is TOTAL of trailer, and stuff, including full black, grey, and freshwater tanks and also full propane. If you don't travel with all of these full you will have some leeway.

Hook-up and enjoy your treasure.
No amount of time will erase the memory of a great dog.
bwoodtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 04:20 PM   #8
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Regarding the removal of old numbers you might look into an auto body supplier. They make a tool that would chuck into a variable speed electric drill. It's sort of a pencil eraser on steroids. They use it to remove stickers, pinstripping and the adhesive residue left after removing names and numbers from car paintwork. It you have too heavy a hand you can burn through the paint and cause damage but handled lightly they work nicely and will likely remove what you need to remove. Also, these trailers don't have paint to damage but being too heavy handed can't be good for the thin aluminum panels either.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 05:15 PM   #9
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
I kind of feel sorry for Simon, the OP. Seems that topic drift has left him adrift, so to speak. His trailer— if he completes the purchase— has no old numbers to remove.
Old 03-16-2014, 05:53 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Rosemere , Quebec
Welcome on the forum,
for the TV, PU 1/2 tone is fine, There are some SUV can do the job.
Sorry, I can't help you for the number removal.
WBCCI 20130
TAC QC-2
Pitou49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 07:39 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
This a very old thread, revived by poster no. 5. He has a 75, which would have the old style plasticoat from the factory. By this time, the glue from the numbers have eaten into the coating. the film that makes the numbers will be degraded and cross linked. You might try a strong solvent to weaken the film and then scrub it off with an abrasive. It will leave scaring.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 07:42 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
I kind of feel sorry for Simon, the OP. Seems that topic drift has left him adrift, so to speak. His trailer— if he completes the purchase— has no old numbers to remove.
The thread was restarted by Jetfuel1 this morning- the replies are to him...
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 03-16-2014, 07:44 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I wonder if the OP is even reading. The thread was started 10 years ago...
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 03-16-2014, 08:09 PM   #14

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
I wonder if the OP is even reading. The thread was started 10 years ago...
I didn't even notice. Now I feel like an idiot. That's okay. I often feel like an idiot, so it's normal for me.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:20 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I have responded to old threads as if they were started a few minutes ago- several times-
My heart sinks when someone points it out to me.
So- what should I do with my big red numbers? Should I go ahead and put them on the trailer in the traditional way? (Why not? After all, I may very well own the trailer till I die or get too old...) Or should I put them on a piece of sign board and display them only at rallies?
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 03-16-2014, 08:27 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Rosemere , Quebec
I saw the post was old with a today question.
For me, the red number should be on top, I puted mine on
my opinion.
WBCCI 20130
TAC QC-2
Pitou49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 08:36 PM   #17

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
So- what should I do with my big red numbers? Should I go ahead and put them on the trailer in the traditional way? (Why not? After all, I may very well own the trailer till I die or get too old...) Or should I put them on a piece of sign board and display them only at rallies?
Any way you want to do it. They're your numbers for as long as you're a member of the club. That's my opinion, anyway.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:59 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I may just do it the traditional way- nostalgia and history and all...
I have my name and Airforums stickers on there anyway...
I need one of those little round WBCCI stickers to go top dead center.
Mississippi Unit got to represent!
Ya heard me?
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 03-16-2014, 09:09 PM   #19

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
I need one of those little round WBCCI stickers to go top dead center.
Should have been a couple in your membership package along with your numbers. If they were missing, talk to your Mississippi Unit membership director; he or she should be able to get you some at no charge to you.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:21 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I just signed up last week. Haven't received the numbers yet. Glad to know those round stickers are coming, too. I have so far only received a welcome email from the chairman/president (whatever they call him) and an over the backyard fence welcome from my neighbor who is also an officer (Secretary? Treasurer?) and a payment confirmation email from PayPal...
We won't be able to make the end of April-first of May rally in Vidalia, LA- too much other going on, but maybe we will hang out with them some time...
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955