Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-02-2004, 07:45 AM   #1
73 Safari

1973 23' Safari
Ellijay , Georgia
Send a message via MSN to kadyacres
Back in an Airstream after 40 Years

Fondest memories of childhood were the days spent camping with my parents. My mother would have nothing but an Airstream, and we had many... from a Bambi to a 31" At 7 years old, I could completely unhook the trailer, place jack stands, put up awning, connect cables and hoses....

So, 40 years later, after looking for 2 years, we found a 73 Safari that we are in the process of working through a major renovation, (family project).

My question is: When I camped as a child, my parents were members of WBCCI and we attended many rallyes and events. In today's world are there many members with children, are children welcomed and accepted? We do not allow our kids to go wild but kids can still be kids.

Would like to get some feedback before we invest in joining.

Thanks

Greg & Katy Baker

'73 Safari '03 Ford Excursion
Ellijay, Georgia USA
kadyacres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 07:07 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Kadyacres, welcome to the forum and welcome back to Airstreaming after all these years! I cannot speak to your issue because we have only been members of WBCCI for a few months and have attended no formal rallies. Your memories seem happy ones; hopefully some other forum members will be able to address your question. Once more, welcome and happy Airstreaming!
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2004, 05:34 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
My impression on the few events we attended is that the kids are surrounded by hundreds for foster grandparents, well behaved, and just a little bored as kid will be anyway . There are not many but that makes those there special. Actually more dogs than kids. Very good people. My only issue has been the food. It's like being at the boy scout camp. Baked ham in pans of "juice", over cooked eggs, stuff like that. But it is "campin". Your kids will love it. My experience has been limited, other parts of the country may have better meals.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2004, 07:25 AM   #4
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Thumbs up They are around here!

We joined our "local" WBCCI unit, there were children present at the meetings and the rallies. Infact one of the defacto vp's is all of 4 months old. I would check out the nearby chapters of the WBCCI some may be more child friendly than others. But I do know that at least 3 of the 6 in our area obviously are.

Good luck!

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2004, 07:57 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Welcome to the forum!

The WBCCI needs the younger folks and kids. The club was probably a bit different when you were younger, but there are a lot of us who think it needs to go back to that to survive. Soooo bring the kids and have a great time.

Ken
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2004, 08:04 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
Low Country , South Carolina
The rallies in the SC Coastal unit are lots of fun. We bring the grandkids and there are always other kids around. In fact, at the last rally there was a baby shower for one couple, everyone joined in to celebrate the new addition to the WBCCI club (she is due in Aug.) So join in, give it several rallies, to get aquainted with all the folks. In fact you are close enough to join in our group fun. Everyone is welcome.
Old 07-14-2004, 04:42 AM   #7
73 Safari

1973 23' Safari
Ellijay , Georgia
Recieved big fat envelope from WBCCI today with my numbers. Polished and cleaned the area around the numbers and already have them on. 4447. Although we have not gotten our cushions, curtains or airconditioning completed yet, we are planning to drive up to Top of Georgia this weekend and meet some of the Georgia folksa thier outing.

Cheers

Greg & Katy Baker

Ellijay, Georgia USA
Old 07-14-2004, 08:33 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
You might be interested to know that according to my 1962 WBCCI, your number 4447 was originally assigned to Dr Earl and Norma Cronk - 5337 E Arcadia Lane - Phoenix Az. - - - - Just a bit of trivia for ya

Ken
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 08:57 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Kids

We have a 3 year old and a 1 year old. We are associate members to the Washington DC unit and they have kids there. And they are welcome. Haven't rallied with our NY FInger Lakes unit yet. Welcome. What are your kids ages? We are 35 and 30.

Rob
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 08:16 AM   #10
73 Safari

1973 23' Safari
Ellijay , Georgia
We have 3 children, boys are 9 and 6 and one girl who is 3. I am 47 and my wife is 37. We drove up for the day and visited with the Georgia chapter at Top of Georgia. Although ours were the only kids in evidence, we were warmly welcomed and had no lack for attention. The guitar, fiddle and harmonica jam session was an absolute blast.

Greg

Greg & Katy Baker

Ellijay, Georgia USA
Old 08-05-2004, 09:42 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Fort Myers , Florida
Send a message via AIM to JeepinAudiophile Send a message via Yahoo to JeepinAudiophile
Well, I know it's been a few weeks since anyone posted on this- but i wanted to add my experience. I am 21, and was warmly welcomed into the WBCCI roughly 9 years ago. I have grown up camping...starting with a pop-up since i can remember, then renting Class C's, then Class A's... Now my parents have owned 2 Airstream motorhomes. I have met Airstreamers from every state, and traveled through all of the lower 48. The people are great, it's a feeling that you can only get in a few places these days. (comoroderie of Jeeps, Classic cars, Airstreams to say a few) I liked these "foster grandparents" so much, that this last year- 2 weeks before the Vermont International Rally, I bought my own Airstream and joined the WBCCI myself. It is an ongoing expeience that your children will never forget, and will likely cherish forever. Good Luck, and Happy Camping.

WBCCI # 13657
++Take a look at my restoration photo album++
https://picasaweb.google.com/ChadsAirstream
JeepinAudiophile is offline   Reply With Quote