Old 01-09-2011, 05:38 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Wow...great info with lots of history. To find out another ATW trailer is out there is AWESOME.

Steve

Old 01-09-2011, 05:46 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Yakima Valley , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
It sure would be great if someone (a member of your family, or the VAC, or someone) could photograph the trailer as is for the club's history books. It would also be great to get your great uncle in contact with Joe, the Vintage Airstream Club's historian to get things documented. Hopefully you might have some ability to help them get the trailer at least water tight in order to help preserve it until someone in your family can restore it to its former glory.

LOOKING FOR A COUNTER HEIGHT KREFFT REFRIGERATOR!!
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:14 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Somewhere , in the USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by klewis View Post
I discussed the round the world trip with my Dad and my Great Uncle David (Dave) Lewis. Dave still has the Airstream in a field in Harmony, Pennsylvania; his son Robbie will inherit it. He stated that the 606 is still partially visible. He notes that the trailer (1962) is in rough shape, but he has never sold it because of sentimental reasons. He said that his sister Betty paid $10,000 for the trailer and $10,000 for the round the world trip. He said that the pull vehicles had to be either Ford (which Betty had) or International. He remembered that at least two of the trailers were loaded down with parts and tools for repairing broken down trailers. He said that my Aunt had been on a prior caravan with Wally Byam
(I believe this was of Europe), but that he had become ill and passed prior to the round the world trip. He also stated that the water buffalo had reared its head as my Aunt was passing and ripped open the front right quarter of her Airstream. It had to be repaired on site, and that smaller dent was what remained. As far as pictures, my Uncle said that Fran was hired by Airstream to document the trip with still photography and movie clips. My Aunt did not take many pictures (if any) because the participants were suppose to be able to get copies of these professional pictures, which she, and presumably others, were never able to obtain. My guess is that many of the participants may have elected not to take pictures either. He said that there was a write-up about Rita and Betty and their trip in the Pittsburgh Gazette. If he can locate it he said he would send me a copy. Another interesting fact about the trip was that my Aunt was the only female driver in the caravan. My Uncle said that there was another woman Airstream owner by the name of Sutcliffe(??) but that she had a hired driver. Furthermore there was a 90 year old doctor who made the trip! This particular fellow had also been on a caravan from South Africa to I believe Egypt. Well Joe, you have now accounted for 5! I have stressed the importance of this trailer to my Uncle, and will also try to do the same with Robbie so that this piece of history is never just scrapped. Perhaps someone will someday be able to restore it!
Here is a little more info that mostly jives with what you have been told. Elizabeth Lewis is last listed in the 1979 WBCCI Membership Directory and she is only recorded as having participated on two Caravans, 1956 Europe and 1963-64 Around the World. Wally Byam indeed lead the 1956 European Caravan. He passed away in 1962.

As for trucks, there were some Chevy's on the trip, too, but Fords were the most common and there was at least one or two Internationals.

Val, Mary and David (son) Sutcliffe were on the ATW caravan, both according to club records and as recorded in the back of the book Thank You Marco Polo - The Story of the First Around-the-World Trailer Caravan. I cannot identify any other single women that traveled on the caravan other than Elizabeth Lewis and Rita White. I suppose it is possible that the Sutcliffe's hired a driver that was not listed on the ATW participant list (if it wasn't their son, who would have been in his mid-20's at the time), but at the current time I have no way of proving or disproving that possibility. Val is no longer listed in the 1966 Membership Directory (but Mary still is), so it is possible that he was in declining health and unable to drive on the ATW Caravan, but again this is nothing I can prove or disprove.

By the way, the Sutcliffe's were one of seven couples on the ATW caravan that were on the 1959-60 Cape Town to Cairo Caravan. Not sure which ATW participant was the 90 year old doctor who was also on the African caravan, but if I had to guess I might say #692 Virgil Golden.

I'd love to get a copy of that Gazette article if you ever scan a copy.
WBCCI/VAC #6768

(Looking for a vintage 1960's fiberglass front window guard)
66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 09:35 AM   #18
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
This is all fascinating stuff and for another ATW trailer to surface is fantastic.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 04:52 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
clarksburg , West Virginia
Thanks Joe for being able to confirm much of what my Uncle remembers. He is in his 90s, but still pretty sharp. If I can get to Harmony any time soon, I will see if I can get some pictures; I am about 3 1/2 hours away. One question I have after looking at some of the Tolle pictures. I noticed one or more of the club members wearing pith helmets. After my Grandad passed, I found three pith helmets in his garage. One was labeled Betty, one Rita, and one was unlabeled. Did this have any significance to the Club?
Old 01-10-2011, 05:13 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Pith helmets were worn in many of the pictures I have seen of the African carivan in 1959. Seeing that the ATW trip went to many hot places, I am sure pith helmets were worn by many caravan attendees.

Steve
Old 01-11-2011, 08:36 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1971 31' Sovereign
1967 22' Safari
1958 22' World Traveler
Pardeeville , Wisconsin
WOW...another ATW trailer! Im looking forward to seeing pics of what condition this one is in.
WBCCI #10917
AIR #32349
TAC #WI-2
aircooled4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:23 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
I can only imagine how hot it was in many of those areas. Some used generators to run air conditioning, but imagine how hot those rather formal clothes they were wearing must have been. Probably that stink it took a total gut to get rid of
Old 01-12-2011, 06:53 AM   #23
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
I never thought about the heat. Did they have generators back then? And what about water? Did they carry their own or purify what was available. Did local animals and veggies suplement their food needs?. zz
Old 01-12-2011, 07:59 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
yeah they had a generator row for some of the rigs, but most didn't, the just opened windows over night to keep cool. They carried alot of water, but had all sorts of rules on how they washed any local fruit etc. some water was carried, but all water was boiled before use anywhere they went.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:38 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
thanks, zz
Old 01-13-2011, 07:27 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Yet another ATW trailer has a new home. Dr Yeager's 1962 Overlander has a new home in Denver after a trip from Ft Walton Beach Fla. We arrived home several hours ago, and found this amazing thread, The Overlander is pretty well a mess but survived the 1500 miles west thru snow, and single digit weather. We camped in our VAN towvehicle. With rigid TorqueFlex axles, no gas bottles, and Camping World 'Rescue" tow lites on the rear bumper, we left Florida last sunday and tried to circumnavigate the bad snowy, freezing weather.
The club numbers "5289" and Yeagers name and destinations are still printed on the trailer's panel curbside front, altho in bad shape. Now, we can stay say we own an airstream that has been to Tibet.
Coloradobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:32 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
AWESOME!! Please start a new thread with lots of photos! Can't wait to see what you do with it! You aren't too far from us, great to get those trailers together sometime! How'd you come across it?
Old 01-13-2011, 07:39 PM   #28
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Wow...another makes 2 in as many weeks. I cant blame you for not saying anything till you got it home Cbus.

Steve