Old 10-13-2007, 10:09 AM   #1
dy2

any city , any state
Are WBCCI Exec’s Email Averse?

42% of the WBCCI Executive Committee has no listed e-mail addresses. The 2007 Membership Directory, Blue Beret, and wbcci.org website were consulted. The following results were found:

President - Jerry Collins – no
1st VP – Jerry Larson – yes
2nd VP – Tom Collier – no
3rd VP – Norman Beu – yes
Recording Sec. – Dona Garner – yes
Treasurer – Lester Schmidt – yes
Past President – Don Shafer – no

If you look at the positions of Pres, VP’s and PP it is 60% with no listed e-mail addresses.

In the October 2007 Blue Beret “Welcome New Members” page, only 15.5% of new members had no listed e-mail addresses.

According to a Radicati Group study from the first quarter of 2006, there are about 1.1 billion email users worldwide.

In 2007 business large and small, non-profits and membership organizations are making great efforts to communicate with their customers and members. They want and need 2 way communications and one of the ways they get it is with email.

Email has become a very quick, reliable and easy form of communications for mobile people who are frequently on the road. Forwarded US postal mail could take weeks to catch up to our “on the road” leaders.

Any comments or recommendations to improve WBCCI communications?

dy2

Old 10-13-2007, 10:16 AM   #2
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
Interesting finding.... and probably a generational difference. sigh....

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 10:28 AM   #3
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
I think 2007 was the first year that e-mail addresses were published in the membership directory. Mine did not make it, but it was included in my application. I think many units did not know and did not submitt them. Let's see what the numbers are in 2008.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 10:33 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
JUst because there are none listed for them, it does not necessarily mean they do not use email. Some may not want to hear directly from all the membership. Many people are selective with who they share their email address. You can always email to our the people at Jackson Center. It is likely that they have ways to get in contact with all the officers and leaders. However, the post of liason representative was eliminated this year for reasons only known to the president.
Old 10-13-2007, 11:02 AM   #5
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
I beleive you have a technology adverse and generational gap. I wanted to to join the free wheelers intra group. no email. So I didn't that just did not amek any sense to me. They just do not get it. if they want new members ie younger members you have to behave in a manor that will attract yonger members.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 02:44 PM   #6
Liquid Cooled

2014 16' Sport
Columbus , Indiana
There's a Bugs Bunny/Yosimite Sam episode where they are both trying to woo Granny. At length she says
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny
Nothing like this has happened to me since the boys got back from Gettysburg
http://www.nonstick.com/sounds/Granny.html

Now just why I should be thinking about that when reading of WBCCI leadership I leave as an exercise to the reader. :-)
Old 10-13-2007, 06:13 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
Quote:
In 2007 ... non-profits and membership organizations are making great efforts to communicate with their customers and members. They want and need 2 way communications and one of the ways they get it is with email.

Email has become a very quick, reliable and easy form of communications for mobile people who are frequently on the road. Forwarded US postal mail could take weeks to catch up to our “on the road” leaders.
you would be amazed at how idealistic this sentiment is when contrasted to reality.

My experience is that very few volunteer run nonprofit organizations make effective use of I'net technology. I find it interesting to note how many leaders of organizations domain names use hotmail accounts (google is the latest fad) for association business.

Then there is the problem with spam and other malicious email that has made email unreliable and costly. Add to that the AirForums phenomena - who wants hate mail, anyway? - (and that form of misuse is also, sad to say, not all that unusual) and you have a communications media that sounds real nice in theory but not so much in practice.

Let's also not forget the common practice of sending attachments that blow out an email mailbox, unusual file formats, the HTML email that looks like a grade school exercise, the mass email discourtesy, and other fairly common violations of accepted practice and you have a real mess.

With postal letters, people learned how to format business correspondence and address envelopes and other such things. With email, it seems that any effort towards a similar level of expertise with e-mail is unthinkable - but much needed.

The legal side should also not be ignored. There is growing pressure for greater transparency and accountability in nonprofits and that means properly archive email messages may be in the mix. There is also the can-spam laws that outlaw sending unsolicited faxes and email in many circumstances.

Even in the corporate world where policy is often defined by knowledgable and experienced professionals and can be enforced, email procedure violations are a big big headache.

The spam load is in excess of 80% right now and climbing. That puts a severe load on the upstream message handling and downstream visibility. It is getting worse. The trend I am seeing in forward thinking organizations is to use other means of communications or private intranets.
Old 10-13-2007, 07:20 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
I guess the real question here is "Who is dy2?" and "How can a NEW MEMBER with their first post and list 'any town' 'any state' in their profile question a group of VOLUNTEERS on the issue of being directly contacted by their organizational membership?"

OOOOPS, where are my manners: First off - welcome to the AirForums - but I am sure this is a duplicate account and you have been a member for a while.

What is your beef with the WBCCI? Is the phone line to the national headquarters not open? Every time I call I get an answer and an email address is provided to the person who can answer my questions. That way the head of the organization does not get a full account every day from spamers.

Before you question those who volunteer to make up the leadership of an all volunteer organization and question their openness with the membership, remember - you know their name, where they work, their spouses name, home address and in most cases their phone numbers and other contact info - you hide behind a 3 letter forums "handle" and throw facts that are way off base with reality.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 07:29 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited
Somewhere in Western , North Carolina
Most all of the reasons you've mentioned is why public entities are using Google mail and their other collaborative services. Google has one of the best spam filters out there.

Here's a link to just some of the organizations using their services:

Google Apps

There are several ways that the leadership could use this technology and the existing WBCCI site to accept emails from the members without being flooded with non business correspondence.

They could have a forms page and already have several subjects pre identified and a requirement the sender fills in their WBCCI # along with a visual security code to avoid spam.

Then the leadership could easily prioritize the incoming correspondence and properly respond.

Not hard, but most in the leadership are at the age when they were employed or running their own businesses this technology never existed and trying to deal with like Microsoft Outlook on your personal computer can be very trying and dangerous to boot.

Air# 16888 | 2000 34' Limited | 2008 Ford F250
dpandorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 07:36 PM   #10
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Good post CB!
Some people might call the post a troll.

Quote:
An Internet troll, or simply troll in Internet slang, is someone who intentionally posts controversial or contrary messages in an on-line community such as an on-line discussion forum with the intention of baiting users into an argumentative response

Richard

Old 10-13-2007, 09:19 PM   #11

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
WBCCI seems to believe that the Internet is just a passing fad. In my opinion, anyone who believes that needs to go ahead and get themselves a room at the nursing home.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 09:35 PM   #12
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
I think the WBCCI is headed in the right direction with the new unit web sites. They are offering a free web site to every unit along with email and calendars for the members. The Four Corners Unit site is looking good, but not 100% doe yet. Jerry (airstream25) is our webmaster and is doing a great job! The club may have been slow getting out of the box, but this is a big step forward.

Richard

Old 10-13-2007, 09:39 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Simi Valley , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dy2

\\ MASSIVE BORING SNIP //

Any comments or recommendations to improve WBCCI communications?

dy2
PICKUP THE PHONE

OR

USE A DIVING ROD

kevbo VP of communications
Old 10-13-2007, 09:43 PM   #14
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Actually, I can sort of understand their not wanting their personal email addresses distributed too widely. One time a public school administrator in Texas distributed my email address (rather than a simple URL) to nearly every teacher in Texas; it concerned a particular kind of admissions to a graduate program. I paid the price for it in a major way, including receiving virus-directed emails from what seemed to be a gazillion people.

Lynn