Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2010, 02:12 PM   #21
Rivet Master

OK, message taken, I will just log out. sorry for adding my 2 cents.
‘62 Overlander 26 ft. ATW Yeager trailer #5289
"62 Airstream 22ft. ATW Hall trailer #83,’90 SQ Sream, ‘06 Bambi Q/S, Prevost Featherlite 45ft, GMC/ Bigfoot camper
Coloradobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 02:46 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradobus View Post
Air Apparent.
You need to add the Denver Unit to the same breath as WDCU etc, we aren't comatose.
Buttercup, as for what the first post statesfor me, its frustrating, and seems the only way to make a point with the "big shots" is to do something out of the ordinary. Otheewise, its business as usual, I guess.
I think it has been frustrating for many members - for many years. I am one of the vociferous ones and I know my position can rub some people the wrong way. The thing is I have been involved in successful, growing organizations and I have been and am now involved in organizations that are crumbling away to nothing.

The successful groups are those that market for membership and have an aggressive public outreach system. They operate lean and trim (which you must do these days) and best of all, they have programs that meet the needs of the varied demographic.

WBCCI does not do that from my observation. More focus is given to perpetuating the existing hierarchy than marketing for members. Collateral reflects an organization stuck in the '70s for the most part (the BB's format has not changed for years and years). Efforts to modernize are guided by people who are painfully unqualified in the areas they are charged to modernize and overall, the organization is so top heavy in expendatures that the only way it can see to solve the mess is to just raise the dues - that is a self-defeating move if you ask me.

To me the president's message is nothing short of another sweeping of the vocal minority under the rug. But I may be wrong - we'll see how renewals go once that dues increase kicks in.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 02:53 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradobus View Post
OK, message taken, I will just log out. sorry for adding my 2 cents.
This is a general message that is not directed at any one person. This is simply an option available to anyone that does not want to see a thread or a posting by a member.

I will normally quote a member if it is directed to them.

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 03:24 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Thank you, Lee.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 11:42 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Thanks Lee I get so tired of seein the BS I could just Puke.
I do make full use of that new inovation.
Thanks Lee
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 01:14 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Silvertwinkie,

No name calling from my end. I did not know you were a moderator over on the WBCCI forums and not a member of the WBCCI since I don’t keep up with everyone on the different forums. I was just asking if it was true and how did you get to become a moderator without being a WBCCI member, it seemed strange to me if it was in fact true. Based on you post, it appears that it must be fact.

With that said,

Based on your post, the question becomes “What is WBCCI business?”

Let’s say that I sent out an email using the same list asking members to join me at the International Rally would that be OK? How about sending out an email to everyone in a Region asking them to join us at the Region Rally. Would that be considered by the IBT President:

Using membership information in this manner is a direct violation of WBCCI’s policies and is subject to legal action."

I could say that contacting members via email addresses “provided” by them to be contacted by about a subject dealing with the WBCCI “IS” WBCCI business. No matter what that business is about. If we are “not allowed” to contact other WBCCI members via the email addresses they have provided, why even have them in the membership guide?

Now if those same email addresses were used to send out an email asking them to buy “Amway” products from me, I would fully agree with the Presidents point and you. But they weren’t.

Bottom line, I think it’s not so much that the email addresses were used but more so “why” they were used is the problem.
Old 04-03-2010, 09:29 PM   #27
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
My guess Paul (and btw my comments were not directed at you) would be that if you asked and it was approved, yes, it would be fine. Fact is that the email sent was not as benign as your examples were. They were in fact a solicitation for funds and/or participation taking compiled WBCCI info and from what I can tell (as best as an outsider looking at the issue) that at no time did any of the responsible parties ask for permission to harvest the data and use it for their own agenda.

We're simply splitting hairs here. In place of Amway, folks are putting "defend wally"...IMHO, it's really the same. If folks used it to say hey, let's meet for a WBCCI rally, I'd agree, it would be hard to push that one, but we're not anywhere near that example from what I can see.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 10:43 PM   #28
Rivet Master

Silver Twinkie....
"62 Airstream 22ft. ATW Hall trailer #83,’90 SQ Sream, ‘06 Bambi Q/S, Prevost Featherlite 45ft, GMC/ Bigfoot camper
Old 04-04-2010, 03:47 AM   #29
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 07:18 AM   #30
Rivet Master

Thnanks Frank, my feelings, exactly!
Old 04-04-2010, 10:15 AM   #31
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Special thanks to AndyR for setting up the tool that enables me to avoid a heckler.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 10:17 AM   #32
Rivet Master

SilverTwinkie,

Let’s say we take your stance and the IBT Presidents on the matter (which as you know, I don’t) and say it’s correct. How should a group of members with in the club go about trying to contact other members within the club to let them know of the many problems they have documented in regards to how the “IBT/EC7” has mismanaged the funds of the club and they want something done?

Do you think the very body that controls the Blue Beret is going to allow them to run a full page ad?

Do you think the very body that controls the contact information is going give it up “willingly”?

Would they allow a group to have a booth at the International Rally handing out information on the subject?

Since you’re a moderator on the WBCCI Forums, Will you allow a thread to be started on that forums about the subject and requesting donations to bring a case against the IBT/EC7 since we are told by the IBT/EC7 that the forums is a place for the WBCCI Members to communicate?

My guess the answer is “NO” for every single one.

So if the answer is no, How would you go about communicating this message out to the “general” membership of the WBCCI?
Old 04-04-2010, 01:10 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideair View Post
... How would you go about communicating this message out to the “general” membership of the WBCCI?
We are allowed to communicate just about the way we are allowed to run our own candidates and vote for our choice of leaders...not.

Anyone remember that cartoon and song, "Momma don't allow no music in here, but what I care what she don't allow, I'll play my music anyhow!

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 09:10 PM   #34
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideair View Post
SilverTwinkie,

Let’s say we take your stance and the IBT Presidents on the matter (which as you know, I don’t) and say it’s correct. How should a group of members with in the club go about trying to contact other members within the club to let them know of the many problems they have documented in regards to how the “IBT/EC7” has mismanaged the funds of the club and they want something done?

Do you think the very body that controls the Blue Beret is going to allow them to run a full page ad?

Do you think the very body that controls the contact information is going give it up “willingly”?

Would they allow a group to have a booth at the International Rally handing out information on the subject?

Since you’re a moderator on the WBCCI Forums, Will you allow a thread to be started on that forums about the subject and requesting donations to bring a case against the IBT/EC7 since we are told by the IBT/EC7 that the forums is a place for the WBCCI Members to communicate?

My guess the answer is “NO” for every single one.

So if the answer is no, How would you go about communicating this message out to the “general” membership of the WBCCI?
Paul these are my answer in order as you asked them:

I really don't know, but I would have asked before using the compiled email list.

I have no idea if the Blue Beret would allow this, but IMHO, money is money (for an ad), but I don't manage the Blue Beret, so I can't answer that question really.

I really can't say if they'd allow a booth. Being a past prez Paul, you'd have a better sense on this question and the prior question that I would.

As for putting a thread on the public forum, I'm one of four folks, so I don't make the sole decision, but IIRC, this may be covered in the TOS. I believe the same thing is also found in AF's TOS, so I'm thinking that would not be allowed. Personally, I have no issue with folks bringing up issues as long as it's civil. For example, you wouldn't find the somewhat snyde comments that are allowed here, like the chase the tail that have no connection to the conversation, but as for solicitations, I doubt very much it'd fly on the public or member only forum. As a matter of fact I even recall this forum clearly stating something similar when solicitations were made on some of the thread(s).

Well, it's hard for me to say what vehicles would be effective. I mean, let's look at it this way, you get some emails off the profile pages from this forum. You then send out emails to AF members asking for money to go against this forum....I really think the folks at AF would also have an issue with that. It would seem that the only real way to do it is how it started. Post the info here to one of the largest Airstream communities on the net and have a website that folks can voluntarily visit and participate. I think really that would have been my approach.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:19 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Eric,

How would reach the many WBCCI members who do not frequent this forum and are not aware that this forum exists?

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 09:36 PM   #36
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot View Post
Eric,

How would reach the many WBCCI members who do not frequent this forum and are not aware that this forum exists?

Bill
Bill,

I don't have a great answer to that good question. My sense is that for folks that don't know or can't find this forum, I doubt they'd be heavy email users either. Most of these folks would need snail mail, but even then, using actual mailing addresses could be looked upon similarly because it would most likely come from the same WBCCI compiled list(s).

Getting the message to the masses takes time. It's like being a farmer, you can't plant the seed and harvest the same day. I know this is a passionate thing for folks, and a number of folks want things like it were yesterday, but if it were me, anything I did would be above board (not taking complied lists and using them without permission). This does mean that it would take longer, but again, you can't plant the seed and harvest the same day.

If there was a better way, I'm sure folks far smarter than I would have thought about it.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:09 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
You know, we didn't appreciate the $ solicitation we received in our personal email account, and opted out of receiving any more of these, but otherwise want to hear from Leo, Ed, et al, as to what their perceptions and opinions are. This is good and important information for members, and helps us make informed decisions.

With all due respect to Eric/Silvertwinkie, IMHO any time you give and allow your residential and email addresses to be published in a directory, there is implied consent that anyone who has access to that directory can and may contact you----using those addresses. They are in a hard copy and become public information, don't they?

If the IBT has issues with how and for what purpose they are used by any member having access to the information, does that negate implied consent by the giver? Do members only want to hear what the IBT tells them, and are we agreeing by giving personal addresses to have all information screened and censored? I think not, really.

Maggie
Old 04-05-2010, 08:47 AM   #38
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65GT View Post
Wow... Are there really 10,000 plus posts of "I don't know," "I really couldn't say," "I have no idea?" Looks like it's real easy to have an opinion, backing one up seems to be quite a problem.

You keep implying that the email list had to be compiled or was mined. If you were a member you would know it's now an electronic directory and no member has to do anything but use it. The message was club business, club relevant, and yes gave members OPTIONS for those that truly care or are concerned.

I didn't think anyone had more time on their hands than that bunny, but Pot Stirrer Extraordinaire should replace your Aluminut title. Nothing but opinions with nothing to back them up. That's TWO on my ignore list now -- life is getting better all the time...

Say goodnight Twink!

__
Think it's time to get your facts straight once again Leo. Hardly 10k posts of I don't know, I really couldn't say. As far as I can tell there are fewer than 10 posts here on the subject by me and even fewer with the statements you are suggesting. Got math?!

Another gleaming example of the sensationalism that some of the VO hold dear. Post non-factuals and run.

Right on Leo, and where was the data that was used found...and who exactly gave permission to use said data? There is data in the member profile area here, does that give you the right to use it as you see fit as well? There is where the rub is Leo, but then again if you were known for tact, I suspect you'd not have had as many problems with this as you've clearly had....

I'm not the one that can't be back in the club, so I think the "goodnight" remark is going the wrong way IMHO.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:52 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
You know, we didn't appreciate the $ solicitation we received in our personal email account, and opted out of receiving any more of these, but otherwise want to hear from Leo, Ed, et al, as to what their perceptions and opinions are. This is good and important information for members, and helps us make informed decisions.

With all due respect to Eric/Silvertwinkie, IMHO any time you give and allow your residential and email addresses to be published in a directory, there is implied consent that anyone who has access to that directory can and may contact you----using those addresses. They are in a hard copy and become public information, don't they?

If the IBT has issues with how and for what purpose they are used by any member having access to the information, does that negate implied consent by the giver? Do members only want to hear what the IBT tells them, and are we agreeing by giving personal addresses to have all information screened and censored? I think not, really.

Maggie
I want to add, here, that surely the WBCCI would not have available online the email addresses of all members, if they could then not legally be used by all members. ?

Maggie
Old 04-05-2010, 10:24 AM   #40
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
I do not believe the HQ of WBCCI has the e-mails online and available to non-members. They failed to publish them in this year's International Directory by mistake. They then made them available to people who (after being verified as members) via e-mail attachment. After you give them out to members, you can not control how those members might use them. I believe they considered this before they sent out the few files to a selected group of members. I received a set and would never forward them to any person who I did not trust to use them ethically. There is a difference between legally and ethically.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote