Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2012, 09:38 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
2007 30' Classic
2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
reno , Nevada
Applying Unit Numbers

Can someone please tell me the best way to apply unit numbers to my rig?
I have heard that its much easier to go to Fast Signs and have the numbers
placed on a one piece decal. What is the spacing between numbers suppose to be?
Thanx for any help.
jomondnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 10:11 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
On a sheet of paper large enough to hold the numbers. Draw a straight line on the paper. Lay the numbers out so they look correct. Correct does not mean to space them equally but rather what looks correct to the eye. Now find and mark on the paper the center of this formation, equal distance from the 2 outer points. Mark a reference point on the paper for each number, the lower left corner of the number should work.

On the trailer draw a light pencil line about 1 1/2 in. above the marker light. Use the window frame as a reference to draw the line parallel to. Do not use a level as it is unlikely the trailer is lever. Mark the center of that line, using a square, again using the window frame as a reference. The marker lights would seam to be a reference point but they are not always mounted with a good eye at the factory.

Now using the original paper and the reference points place one of the center most numbers an work you way outwards placing each number on the pencil line as you go. If they are dry decals your placement has to be good. Most dry decals will have a cut line on the paper back. Place the number and while holding one half of the number in place lift the other side and peel back the paper. Then work your way down the exposed part of the number placing it. Now lift the other side and do the same. This type of decal you may want a second person to hold the number in place while you peel the back off or you can tape the top half to the trailer while working on th lower half. If they are wet decals you will have to place the decal in a pan of water for 10 or 15 seconds. The decal should the slide off the paper as you hold it in position on the trailer.

With wet decals you will most likely have bubbles under the numbers as you place them. They can be worked to the edge of the number with a squeegee. The numbers will slide for adjustment as long as the are wet underneath. Some number will change shape, 2,3,5,7, as you place them so adjustment may be necessary. Step back and look as you work.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 11:19 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Howie has pretty well covered it, but I would add one more tip....do this job on a day with little to no wind. The numbers are so flimsy the wind will mess them up as you try to install them, and you probably already know if they get stuck to themselves, the game's over.
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 11:24 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
WBCCI Numbers on Plexiglass

My wife and I decided we didn't want to apply our numbers to the skin of our unit. We purchased a sheet of plexiglass from Lowes, applied the numbers to the sheet and use suction cups to fasten the sheet to our front window when participating in WBCCI events or camping at Airstream only parks. Other times we don't put the sign out. I posted the details of making the plexiglass sign on Airforums a few months ago with photographs. Here is a link:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f286...1-a-90573.html

Feel free to PM me with any questions if you choose to go this route. The biggest disadvantage is not being able to display the numbers while you are actually traveling on the highway.
WBCCI 3823 - Unit 12 | AIR 48265
Florida 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 08:59 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I cheated, I had ghost numbers on my Bambi II and was able to get the same number so application was easy. I just put them directly over where the old ones were. Came out perfectly alligned and level.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:52 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jomondnv View Post
Can someone please tell me the best way to apply unit numbers to my rig?
I have heard that its much easier to go to Fast Signs and have the numbers
placed on a one piece decal. What is the spacing between numbers suppose to be?
Thanx for any help.
Yep, we did that. The sign company took a PDF of the numbers I made up by scanning them into the computer and assembling the images to one page, full size. The result was vinyl numbers on a "carrier" with a cover sheet.

As described above, I drew a light pencil line for the base line. Took the "back" off the carrier. Placed the base of the numbers on the line and pressed. Pulled off the backing sheet carefully. Done.
TAC VA-18 | Life Mbr ACI 1927 - Spirit of Virginia Club | AIR 53869
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:54 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Grand Rapids , Michigan
Does anyone know or have an idea for displaying numbers temporarily? I don't want to permanently put the numbers on our trailer. Is there a way to display them for events only?
Jwestman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:15 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Most people mount them on a piece of plexglas and hang them in the front window on the outside. You could also hang them on the propane tank cover.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:18 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Grand Rapids , Michigan
Thanks!
Jwestman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:26 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Plexi attached to the front of AS with Velcro ...
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:40 PM   #11
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
As already noted, these are NOT easy to get on straight -- and they ARE flimsy. Plus, I was on a stepladder with a level, a pencil, etc. For those of you who do the plexiglas/temporary mount, we miss figuring out who you are when we are going by you in the opposite direction, have only a few seconds to read the number -- open the directory and find out who you are and where you're from! But, then there are those who like anonymity!
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:47 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I like the numbers on the Airstream. As unique as the Airstream itself, it looks unfinished without them.

I used masking tape along the bottom of the group as a guide, started at the middle of the trailer and worked out both directions to center them, using masking tape as a vertical edge on each number one at a time.

The thin numbers take less space the the wide ones, so they do not take equal space, but rather equal space between them.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:59 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAB View Post
As already noted, these are NOT easy to get on straight -- and they ARE flimsy. Plus, I was on a stepladder with a level, a pencil, etc.
Yeah. If I were king of WBCCI, I'd look into updating the process with vinyl on a vinyl peel-off backing, which is how all of those decals with intricate details you see on cars are done. Perhaps give the font, size, and color info out freely to vinyl shops so anyone could make one for you, and contract with a shop somewhere that makes them up for a reasonable price for members.

This would solve a LOT of problems with straightness and spacing. Still a bit of a pain to put on, but you only have to straighten and center ONE thing, not 4 or 5 individual flimsy things.

Or, even better, work with Airstream to come up with a way to mount the numbers that doesn't require adhesive at all. For example, if Airstream could make a couple rivets that allowed you to thread a small bolt into, you could easily mount them on a piece of clear plexi or something then screw that to the trailer without damaging it at all (I'm just thinking out loud here - this idea would need some refinement). Of course that would only work for new trailers, so perhaps my first idea is better.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:29 AM   #14
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
You might be on to something here Skater.

Why not install four or six 'RIVNUTS' in the AIRSTREAM shell at the desired location. Seat the 'rivnuts' in sealant and when not being used for the intended purpose, install nylon cap screw and washers with the chrome caps to seal the mounts.

To show your numbers, cut up a polished aluminum panel of suitable size, mount your numbers, and install with chromed caps on the threaded retainers.
https://www.boltdepot.com/Chrome_bolt_covers.aspx

Chrome Nuts and Bolts, Washers & Fasteners - Bolt Depot

Chances are you would never remove the number plate until you sold the trailer, and then you just install the plate on the new trailer.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater View Post
.Or, even better, work with Airstream to come up with a way to mount the numbers that doesn't require adhesive at all. For example, if Airstream could make a couple rivets that allowed you to thread a small bolt into, you could easily mount them on a piece of clear plexi or something then screw that to the trailer without damaging it at all (I'm just thinking out loud here - this idea would need some refinement). Of course that would only work for new trailers, so perhaps my first idea is better.
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:37 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Venice , Florida
Club Numbers

Quote:
Yeah. If I were king of WBCCI, I'd look into updating the process with vinyl on a vinyl peel-off backing, which is how all of those decals with intricate details you see on cars are done. Perhaps give the font, size, and color info out freely to vinyl shops so anyone could make one for you, and contract with a shop somewhere that makes them up for a reasonable price for members.

This would solve a LOT of problems with straightness and spacing. Still a bit of a pain to put on, but you only have to straighten and center ONE thing, not 4 or 5 individual flimsy things.

Or, even better, work with Airstream to come up with a way to mount the numbers that doesn't require adhesive at all. For example, if Airstream could make a couple rivets that allowed you to thread a small bolt into, you could easily mount them on a piece of clear plexi or something then screw that to the trailer without damaging it at all (I'm just thinking out loud here - this idea would need some refinement). Of course that would only work for new trailers, so perhaps my first idea is better.

Funny you talk about peel and stick. When I received my numbers from WBCCI they came with all the instructions as to how to soak them in water to loosen them from the paper backing etc. just like you would window tinting. So naturally I did my measuring precisely the distance between the letters, the distance from the top of the window, figuring the center of the trailer. So you would think I was ready to go NO? NO! I get my pan of water and soak the numbers, O' about 10 minutes. I take the 1st number out and I can not separate the vinyl number from the paper. So I soak it some more, still no luck. Guess what , the numbers that they sent me were vinyl stick on. Who would have thonk it!! They could have told me that! When all else fails read the instructions, they just have to be the right ones!

Airdreamers

WBCCI #8880
AIR #41310
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:11 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Arvada , Colorado
I read about using static cling instead of mounting the numbers directly to your AS. These are the folks who fabricate graphics for race cars, etc. I dealt with Rita and you need to mention that you need the numbers in the correct shade of red and mounted for an Airstream. Cost is just over $30.00 for the two sheets. Downside is that the static will eventually deteriorate, or possible fly off. I just replaced mine after two years.

Michael Squier <michael@squierdesign.com>
Squier Design
46 Payn Avenue
Chatham, NY 12037-1427
Jack46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:12 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Wondering - I saw a pic of an AS with numbers and WBCCI stickers on the bumper (not the traditional location). The instructions I got with my membership were pretty clear about where to place them but I have to admit, I really liked the bumper placement. No controversy intended!! I love the traditional look and personally favor the bumper location...What are the collective thoughts of the folks here on this?
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:44 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
The traditional location up high looks "right" to me so that's where I put them. Many folks stop by to discuss the Airstream and comment on the numbers as it reminds them of the the travel club they have heard about from an uncle or grandpa who traveled with them.

I guess some may worry about cosmetic damage to the finish or something, but once up you will probably never give it a second thought.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:22 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Venice , Florida
I agree with dkottum. Tradition is what it is all about. Tradition is part of why I joined the club in the 1st place. If you don't like putting them where they are traditionally put, don't, put them on at all! I think that is better then creating a controversy. A lot of members choose to keep the previous owners numbers so damage is minimal. The ghost only happens when you take them off. Leave them on.

Airdreamers

WBCCI #8880
AIR #41310
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:13 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Quote:

+ Velcro...works for us...no damage so far on two different AS.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote