Old 04-01-2013, 05:37 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1985 25' Sovereign
Venice/Nokomis , Florida
Club Numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater View Post
Yeah. If I were king of WBCCI, I'd look into updating the process with vinyl on a vinyl peel-off backing, which is how all of those decals with intricate details you see on cars are done. Perhaps give the font, size, and color info out freely to vinyl shops so anyone could make one for you, and contract with a shop somewhere that makes them up for a reasonable price for members.

This would solve a LOT of problems with straightness and spacing. Still a bit of a pain to put on, but you only have to straighten and center ONE thing, not 4 or 5 individual flimsy things.

Or, even better, work with Airstream to come up with a way to mount the numbers that doesn't require adhesive at all. For example, if Airstream could make a couple rivets that allowed you to thread a small bolt into, you could easily mount them on a piece of clear plexi or something then screw that to the trailer without damaging it at all (I'm just thinking out loud here - this idea would need some refinement). Of course that would only work for new trailers, so perhaps my first idea is better.

Funny you talk about peel and stick. When I received my numbers from WBCCI they came with all the instructions as to how to soak them in water to loosen them from the paper backing etc. just like you would window tinting. So naturally I did my measuring precisely the distance between the letters, the distance from the top of the window, figuring the center of the trailer. So you would think I was ready to go NO? NO! I get my pan of water and soak the numbers, O' about 10 minutes. I take the 1st number out and I can not separate the vinyl number from the paper. So I soak it some more, still no luck. Guess what , the numbers that they sent me were vinyl stick on. Who would have thonk it!! They could have told me that! When all else fails read the instructions, they just have to be the right ones!

Airdreamers

WBCCI #8880
AIR #41310
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:11 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Arvada , Colorado
I read about using static cling instead of mounting the numbers directly to your AS. These are the folks who fabricate graphics for race cars, etc. I dealt with Rita and you need to mention that you need the numbers in the correct shade of red and mounted for an Airstream. Cost is just over $30.00 for the two sheets. Downside is that the static will eventually deteriorate, or possible fly off. I just replaced mine after two years.

Michael Squier <michael@squierdesign.com>
Squier Design
46 Payn Avenue
Chatham, NY 12037-1427

Old 04-09-2013, 09:12 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Wondering - I saw a pic of an AS with numbers and WBCCI stickers on the bumper (not the traditional location). The instructions I got with my membership were pretty clear about where to place them but I have to admit, I really liked the bumper placement. No controversy intended!! I love the traditional look and personally favor the bumper location...What are the collective thoughts of the folks here on this?
Old 04-10-2013, 12:44 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
The traditional location up high looks "right" to me so that's where I put them. Many folks stop by to discuss the Airstream and comment on the numbers as it reminds them of the the travel club they have heard about from an uncle or grandpa who traveled with them.

I guess some may worry about cosmetic damage to the finish or something, but once up you will probably never give it a second thought.

doug k
Old 04-10-2013, 07:22 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1985 25' Sovereign
Venice/Nokomis , Florida
I agree with dkottum. Tradition is what it is all about. Tradition is part of why I joined the club in the 1st place. If you don't like putting them where they are traditionally put, don't, put them on at all! I think that is better then creating a controversy. A lot of members choose to keep the previous owners numbers so damage is minimal. The ghost only happens when you take them off. Leave them on.

Airdreamers

WBCCI #8880
AIR #41310
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:13 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater View Post
Yeah. If I were king of WBCCI, I'd look into updating the process with vinyl on a vinyl peel-off backing, which is how all of those decals with intricate details you see on cars are done. Perhaps give the font, size, and color info out freely to vinyl shops so anyone could make one for you, and contract with a shop somewhere that makes them up for a reasonable price for members.

This would solve a LOT of problems with straightness and spacing. Still a bit of a pain to put on, but you only have to straighten and center ONE thing, not 4 or 5 individual flimsy things.

Or, even better, work with Airstream to come up with a way to mount the numbers that doesn't require adhesive at all. For example, if Airstream could make a couple rivets that allowed you to thread a small bolt into, you could easily mount them on a piece of clear plexi or something then screw that to the trailer without damaging it at all (I'm just thinking out loud here - this idea would need some refinement). Of course that would only work for new trailers, so perhaps my first idea is better.
+ Velcro...works for us...no damage so far on two different AS.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:44 AM   #21
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Wondering - I saw a pic of an AS with numbers and WBCCI stickers on the bumper (not the traditional location). The instructions I got with my membership were pretty clear about where to place them but I have to admit, I really liked the bumper placement. No controversy intended!! I love the traditional look and personally favor the bumper location...What are the collective thoughts of the folks here on this?
If you plan to attend a WBCCI rally, especially one on the bigger rallies, the event organizers look to the numbers to tell who's where. Having the numbers all in a consistent location makes it easier on them. Putting your numbers in a different location means the event organizers might have trouble finding your trailer among the crowd.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:22 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwestman View Post
Does anyone know or have an idea for displaying numbers temporarily? I don't want to permanently put the numbers on our trailer. Is there a way to display them for events only?

I had a place in New England make me a new set of numbers on a "cling sheet". They make numbers for weekend race cars so it clings pretty good. Since it's all on a sheet its simple to apply and take off as needed.
I'll try to find more info when I get a chance to dig in my files and let you know, who, what, where, when, etc.
If I don't get back with the info in a few days, please remind me, if you are interested, and I'll dig.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:23 AM   #23
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
In an emergency, numbers allow authorities to quickly find your trailer since the number is registered during checkin at the rally or wbcci campground. Think about it, you call in an emergency and paramedics arrive only to see many trailers that all look alike to them. Numbers could allow them to locate you quickly. Jim
Old 04-17-2013, 08:53 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Grand Rapids , Michigan
bluto, I'd appreciate that info when you have the time. Thanks! j
Old 04-18-2013, 11:52 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Drum roll please!
The name of the place is Squier Design. Phone number is 518-392-5852. I guess they are in NY state not New England.
Email is: michael@squierdesign.com
The stuff is a Static Cling sheet material.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:03 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Grand Rapids , Michigan
Thanks!
Old 05-27-2013, 06:55 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Just sent Michael an email. Had a lot of successful projects today with the trailer but sadly, applying our WBCCI numbers wasn't one of them. :-(

Destroyed a 9 in the process too. :rrrrrrrrr:

Oh well - can't hit 'em all out of the park!
Old 05-28-2013, 01:08 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Michael is priority mailing a set to us as we speak. Hoping this does the trick! Thanks forte suggestions!!!