Old 10-27-2010, 06:14 AM   #57
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks for keeping us informed, Forrest.

Maggie

Old 11-02-2010, 09:28 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari SS SE
1969 27' Overlander
Martinez , Georgia
The GA Unit will debate this amendment at our spring meeting. I will request direction to Vote 330 votes YES.

mbmbstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 09:51 PM   #59
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmbstreamer View Post
The GA Unit will debate this amendment at our spring meeting. I will request direction to Vote 330 votes YES.
The amendment that Forrest has proposed is taking a different path to ratification and will not be voted on at the delegates meeting. Since it has been approved by a majority of the Region 11 Units (7-0), it will now be sent to all of the remaining units in the club. Each unit should vote on the amendment and then report the result back to headquarters. If within a year the amendment is approved by 2/3 of all of the units it will successfully pass and amend the constitution. I am not sure of the exact number of units in the club at this time, but it is around 130.

2/3 x 130 = 87
87 units would then need to approve this amendment for it to pass. All units are counted even if they do not respond to the amendment.

This process is spelled out in Article XV! Section 1 of the constitution.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 08:17 AM   #60
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
87 units would then need to approve this amendment for it to pass. All units are counted even if they do not respond to the amendment.
All units are counter HOW? As vote or as an abstention. Am I right in assuming that if 87 are required to pass and abstention would be the same as a No.

And if all units vote in the next 6 months or less is there a reason to have to wait a year?

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 08:22 AM   #61
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
The magic number is the number. 87 in this case would be required to vote yes.

If the votes come in early, it passes early...

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:21 AM   #62
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
When?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
The one year clock will start shortly. Please notify your Unit Presidents to be attentive to the letter and motion that will be sent to them. I've known Unit Presidents that don't open or read the letters they get. So, remind them!
Any idea when we should be expecting this letter?

Thanks,
Nuvi
Old 11-06-2010, 12:21 AM   #63
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Aurora , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvite-F View Post
Any idea when we should be expecting this letter? Thanks, Nuvi
That's a good question. The one year clock starts when the letters are distributed, but there isn't anything in the bylaws that require the mailing to take place within any particular time period, only that the motion is to be reviewed and commented on by the Constitution and Bylaws Committee first. It's possible they might drag that out for an unreasonable amount of time, but certainly the mailing should happen no later than a week or so after the mid-winter IBT meeting.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:57 AM   #64
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Forrest,

Thanks. Will be looking for it, but won't hold my breath.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:24 PM   #65
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Aurora , Colorado
A Letter to All WBCCI Members and Officers

Betraying Good-faith Actions

Tennessee Williams said, “We have to distrust each other. It is our only defense against betrayal.”

At some point in their tenure every International President has written that the Units and their members are the most important elements of the Club. Current President Norm Beu recently stated, “participation is the key.” Immediate Past President Tom Collier urged members, “to put your ideas for change in motion form, present the motion to your unit, and if you [sic] unit approves the motion, send the motion to your Region President.” Past President Jerry Larson reminded us that, “This club was formed with the understanding and purpose that our Units would be the foundation on which we operate. It is only through the Unit that our Constitution may be changed.” Stated most notably though was Past President Don Shafer's letter, “The Silent Majority” (as published in the Blue Beret, President's Corner, May 2007), “We believe that the HEART of our organization is the Units. Collectively they express their goals for the Club.”

In that light, all the Units comprising Region 11 recently passed a motion to amend the WBCCI Constitution. Prior to that, the proposal was posted and informally discussed beginning December 18, 2009 on both the WBCCI Member Forum and Airforums. Officially, the Motion was published February 2010 and June 2010 in the Denver Colorado Unit newsletters. After prolonged debate and discussion, DENCO voted and passed the motion at its May 2010 business meeting. This was done with then Region 11 President, Janie Lichtfuss, herself a certified parliamentarian, present. Afterward, DENCO's Recording Secretary sent a formal certified letter to President Lichtfuss, providing her with the final wording of the motion, the results of the vote and requesting that it be disseminated to all the Units in Region 11 for them to debate and vote on.

The DENCO newsletter is sent to every Unit President in Region 11, the Region 11 President, and WBCCI HQ (for distribution to International Officers). In total, all Region 11 Unit Presidents were given notice of this motion three times – twice from the DENCO Newsletter and once from the Region 11 President. Minutes and announcements become “official” when published in a Unit’s newsletter. So, the fact that prior notification was made to all Units is a matter of record.

Subsequently, by October 11th, those Units also voted and passed the motion. Per instructions from WBCCI Corporate Manager, Cindy Reed, all Units sent letters (both by USPS and Email) certifying the results to current Region 11 President, Dan Neumarkel, and he, in turn, sent the motion and his letter of certification to WBCCI Headquarters.

All of this, done in good faith, to comply with Article XVI, Sections 1 and 3, of the WBCCI Constitution. Also acting in compliance with those requirements, Headquarters in turn sent the motion and the letters of certification to the Chairman of the Constitution and Bylaws Committee, Past International President, Don Shafer.

AND THERE the motion remains, Chairman Shafer stating, in Emails to Region President Neumarkel, that he, “cannot in good conscience make comment on [the] proposed amendment and allow it to go forward.” Since, in his “opinion,” the, “maker of the motion did not follow the procedures as listed in the WBCCI Constitution.” His, “biggest concern, however, is the motion itself and the need for it... If the originators of the motion could explain to me the importance of the 'Bylaws' portion of their motion, I could better help them to redo their motion to accomplish their purpose if valid. As of now, I consider the motion as unnecessary.”

The Units of Region 11 voted unanimously in favor of the motion, because they see its necessity, and in so doing, collectively expressed their members will and “goals for the Club.” No one is asking Chairman Shafer to share their vision. All that is asked is for he and his committee to do their duty (as required by the Constitution and Bylaws) and return the motion with their letter of recommendation to HQ so that it can be distributed to all the other Units in the Club.

The purpose of this letter is not to defend the motion. We feel it and its rationale speak for itself. What is of greater importance is that the members good faith actions not be undermined and thwarted by, what is certainly seen by some as, an entrenched autocracy. In that regard, the motion is secondary. Region 11 is perfectly willing to accept whatever the outcome of a vote might be, but it rejects the idea that the members do not get to vote.

International Treasurer, Bob Moss, wrote President Beu, “I cannot understand how the Chairman of the Constitution & Bylaws Committee has the power to stop something from going forward, when a region jumped through all the hoops of the Blue Book and had their motion approved by an entire region.” In correspondence with Region President Neumarkel, he wrote, “I still am of the opinion that the C&BL chairman has only the right to give his opinion on the motion and pass it along... If the members feel it is improper... then it will fail, if on the other hand it passes then the Club will deal with the new rule.”

Region President Neumarkel intends to make a motion at the 2011 Mid-Winter IBT meeting requiring the C&BC to provide a letter of recommendation (good, bad or indifferent) to HQ. However, there are already indications that his motion will be ruled out of order. Wrote International Parliamentarian, Dona Garner, “This motion, however, is improper since the date of March 20, 2010 [sic] is still in the future and the Constitution and Bylaws Committee has until that time to write their report on any Constitutional amendment that they receive.”

That date, March 20, is only a deadline and does not prevent the committee from issuing a more timely report, especially since they will likely meet at the Mid-Winter IBT. Besides, the point is that Chairman Shafer has indicated there will be no report - period. Without it, Region 11's motion to amend the WBCCI Constitution is stalled, because HQ will not forward the motion to all the other Units without it.

This rank gamesmanship and obstructionism is destructive to the morale of the Club because it demonstrates that at least some in high places have no confidence in the collective wisdom of the membership and betrays their good faith actions.

This we know best attitude is spelled out in Chairman Shafer's 2007 letter. He acknowledged that there is, “common sense and good judgment of the membership as exercised in our normal operating processes,” but emphasized that, “the prospective of the entire organization IS seen from this office. With primary input from the Units, the entire Executive Committee and the International Board of Trustees do their best to accomplish what they believe is best for the Club.” At the time, it was Shafer's concern that, “the development of a very vocal minority,” not impose its will on, “the silent majority.” “The officers of WBCCI,” Shafer insisted, “exist to serve the majority while respecting the minority. Whether sometimes silent or when major issues rise to the top... their vote reestablishes the will of the majority.”

That is precisely what we are asking for, to let the majority vote and establish their will, as opposed to that of one man. We encourage all members to contact their respective Region President to demand the right of the members to vote on the Region 11 Motion to Amend.

Sincerely,

The Officers of the Denver Colorado Unit #24
Old 01-03-2011, 07:37 PM   #66
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Forrest,

Thank you for this letter. This action by Don Shafer is a continuation of the arbitrary actions by the leadership to thwart the membership. The leadership continue to do what they want and rule as "out of order" any item to which they object.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:41 PM   #67
Certifiable

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
International Treasurer, Bob Moss, wrote President Beu, I cannot understand how the Chairman of the Constitution & Bylaws Committee has the power to stop something from going forward, when a region jumped through all the hoops of the Blue Book and had their motion approved by an entire region. In correspondence with Region President Neumarkel, he wrote, I still am of the opinion that the C&BL chairman has only the right to give his opinion on the motion and pass it along... If the members feel it is improper... then it will fail, if on the other hand it passes then the Club will deal with the new rule.
Mr. Moss is correct.
Mr. Shafer either needs to do his job or be removed by President Beu.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:44 PM   #68
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
An absolutely excellent letter, Forrest. Thank you very much for keeping us in the loop!

Lynn
Old 01-03-2011, 07:49 PM   #69
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
Happy Trails

Glad I withheld my dues. Until the club can respect its members, I am done.

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:07 PM   #70
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot View Post
Forrest,

Thank you for this letter. This action by Don Shafer is a continuation of the arbitrary actions by the leadership to thwart the membership. The leadership continue to do what they want and rule as "out of order" any item to which they object.

Bill
I rather suspect that this is a demonstration of what the fate of anything the "upper management" doesn't like coming from the revision committee will be also.'

If I understand it right bylaws changes could be presented and voted on at the midwinter meeting and only constitutional changes would have to go to the units with the resulting delay.
My bet is nothing will come out of the mid winter meeting except more excuses and delays.
I would be really happy to be proven wrong

99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wbcci forum