Old 01-07-2010, 07:37 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The information I sent to our officers the other day received a positive response and expressed interest in addressing within the Club.

I sent on to them this morning the proposed amendment on the grievance process.

Maggie

Old 01-07-2010, 06:58 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
“Anger is a powerful indication of engagement between people, the very opposite of indifference. It may be regarded as the most dramatic proof of responsiveness and caring .... It is a basic form of remaining attached. And among people who are not inevitably bound together, anger may become a refutation of the possibility of separation. Anger is a form of social cohesion, and a strong and reliable one. To fight with each other, people must share norms, rules, vocabulary, and knowledge. Fighting is a partnership, requiring cooperation. A boundary-maintaining mechanism -- for strangers cannot participate fully - it is also above all a profoundly sociable activity.”
That is very interesting. Thanks for posting it Forrest. I do believe you can aggressively challenge one another and persist in disagreeing because of different beliefs and that does not set either up to be ascribed as enemies or diminish either. There has been a lot of negative talk, about negative talk, and that has been directed, most often, at those who want change, and find the current club governance methods to be lacking in efficiency. Rather than issues being addressed of why the status quo should remain intact, the usual dialog is to be told to be quiet and stop badmouthing the club, pretty much the exact same approach that I found years ago at the beginning of my club experience and continues down through this day. But I still don't agree with that. If something is worth defending then it could easily be debated and stand up on its own merit through scrutiny. The other is covert and defensive and based upon individuals and groupings rather than a review of matters subject by subject.

And again, thank you Forrest. I wish the impact of those words you quoted would resonate and be accepted by everyone and bring clashers together where they belong instead of sending them home taking their ball with them, which amounts to many members each and every year. Failure is not making mistakes, failure is giving up, whether that be in quitting or in silencing others. We need to keep vigilant at moving the club forward. Communication is and was key to success. We need to be good forgivers.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:39 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1993 34' Excella
1962 16' Bambi
New Haven , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested View Post
If something is worth defending then it could easily be debated and stand up on its own merit through scrutiny. The other is covert and defensive and based upon individuals and groupings rather than a review of matters subject by subject... Failure is not making mistakes, failure is giving up, whether that be in quitting or in silencing others. We need to keep vigilant at moving the club forward. Communication is and was key to success...
Carol and Forrest,

You both offer
wonderfully high-minded insight. I find it impossible to see parallels between club goings on and real world geopolitical situations. On the geo scale there are several basic approaches to affecting change - diplomacy, non-involvement, embargos, or war. Regarding the WBCCI it appears the same is occurring - diplomacy which hopefully involves affecting change from within - and trade embargo, which in this case equates to your reference of taking my and all of my friends ball and going home. Essentially a boycott as way of affecting change.

Some of this years motions offer changes that will nudge the club in the right direction, sans the "Leo" motions. I hold no hope for good news to come from the mid-winter meetings. However, I think a concerted effort to raise the volume of dissent at International will go a long way towards eventually balancing the books while providing awesome cocktail chatter all week long.

Rattling sabers at Gillette...where's my cowboy hat???

--Dave

Old 02-23-2010, 02:43 AM   #32
Pam
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
1968 24' Tradewind
Northborough , Massachusetts
Submitting to IBT

Forrest, there are deadlines for getting this on the agenda at IBT.
I had inquired about submitting proposals for amendments and these are the dates to work with.

"The filing deadlines stand in the way of putting a matter before the Delegates Meeting this year (March 1 deadline) or before the June 26th IBT meeting (May 1 deadline). The deadline for the July 5th IBT could be more manageable, it's June 30th."

Can you make either deadline?

New England Unit....in Fun, Fellowship and Adventure.
Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 08:56 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Aurora , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam View Post
Forrest, there are deadlines for getting this on the agenda at IBT.
I can't get this on the IBT's agenda by deadline time, but then I never intended to. Putting the motion before the IBT would be non-productive, they are not going to approve it. Instead, the motion will go directly to the Units for ratification, and the one-year deadline for that will not start until the motion comes out of my region. The total timeline I'm looking at is over a year.
Old 02-23-2010, 02:27 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Keep us posted, Forrest.

Doug & Maggie
Old 02-24-2010, 05:20 AM   #35
Pam
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
1968 24' Tradewind
Changes

Forrest, why not take your concept to your Unit, get more support and modify to the best presentation, then take it to IBT?

I know of a few members who are working similar issues in this manner. Go to your Unit and present the idea. Get the amendment voted in at that level and then push it up to Region and IBT. It's worth the effort. So what if it takes a year? You should get it rolling.

Good luck.

Old 02-24-2010, 06:20 AM   #36
Certifiable

. , .
Thumbs up I believe the ball is already rolling in his Unit.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Forrest recently got the EC of his Unit (DENCO) to approve the forwarding of his motion to the Unit members. It was published in their last newsletter and the Unit membership will now have a chance to vote on it at their meeting in May. From there it will go to the other units in Region 11 and if it passes then to all the other regions.

Do I have this right Forrest?
Old 02-24-2010, 06:31 AM   #37
Pam
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
1968 24' Tradewind
Awesome

Forrest, that's awesome. Good luck with it.

Old 02-24-2010, 10:52 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Aurora , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistral blue View Post
Forrest recently got the EC of his Unit (DENCO) to approve the forwarding of his motion to the Unit members. It was published in their last newsletter and the Unit membership will now have a chance to vote on it at their meeting in May. From there it will go to the other units in Region 11 and if it passes then to all the other regions.

Do I have this right Forrest?
Yes, you have it right, the amendment is moving forward, slowly, but surely.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:11 AM   #39
Aluminum in 3-D

1968 28' Ambassador
Seaside , Oregon
Forrest, Keep us posted so we can make sure our Region units get to vote on it. I do not want it to die at the region level.

Membership chair
Wally Byam Airstream Club
Past President Oregon Unit 090

Campfires, the original social media!
wbcci#29827

Check out the [URL="https://airstreamclub.org/"and Wally Byam Airstream Club on facebook
Blue Pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 03:29 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Is there any reason this can not be put in the table at other Unit business meetings from the floor or is it the case that the Unit or region executive committee needs to "give permission"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
I have been asked to provide specifics regarding how, what, and when a change in the club can be made. Here is just one proposal for anyone’s consideration, or use. It is possible that this motion or one like it could make it in time for the Delegates to cast votes at the International Rally this June, 2010. However, time is fast running out. Otherwise, the soonest it can be acted on will be in 2011. Here is the wording of a motion that I believe must be made if the membership is to ever have a voice in the running of the Club:

I MOVE to STRIKE from the WBCCI Constitution, Sec. 4 of ARTICLE IX, BOARD OF TRUSTEES and in its place INSERT, under ARTICLE XII, DELEGATES MEETINGS, the words, “The Delegates shall have full authority to construe and interpret the Club’s Constitution and annually review and/or repeal any Club Bylaw and/or Policy.”

RATIONALE:

Currently, ARTICLE XV, BYLAWS AND POLICY, Sec. 1 provides that, “Bylaws and Policies not inconsistent with this Constitution embodying additional provisions for the government of the Wally Byam Caravan Club International, Inc., may be adopted by the Board of Trustees.”

In addition, the Constitution, under Sec. 4 of ARTICLE IX, BOARD OF TRUSTEES, provides that, “The Board of Trustees shall have full authority to construe and interpret the Club's Constitution and Bylaws and Policy and may delegate this authority to its Constitution and Bylaws Committee.”

These two sections of the Constitution create an imbalance of authority in the Club. It is improper for a society governed by parliamentary procedure and democratic principles to allow one governing body to create bylaws and then determine if those bylaws are consistent with its given constitutional authority. In effect, this allows the Board of Trustees to review and audit its own efficiency, effectiveness, accuracy, and appropriateness of action.

An audit process by definition is an assessment typically carried out by an independent review. Since it is in the Board’s own interest to approve its own actions, an impartial review is unlikely and improbable. Therefore, the Delegates, who directly carry with them the interests and instructions of the membership, are best suited to review and/or repeal actions taken by the Board of Trustees.

It should be noted that this motion continues to allow the Board of Trustees the right to create bylaw and policy. It simply changes how those bylaws and policies are reviewed and audited.
Old 02-26-2010, 03:33 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Here's a potential problem. Boards by the nature constantly construe and interpret bylaws and constitutions. A board chair does the same thing from time to time. They can't take any action without doing so and may be crippled in taking action when necessary. So, I wouldn't remove that authority, but instead allow the larger body (delegates) to overrule the board.

Some will argue that bylaws are too technical in nature and only the board can understand how to change them. I resolved this issue with one organization by changing the bylaws to allow the board to amend them by a 2/3 vote or the members could do so by a majority of those attending a meeting.

Gene
Old 05-28-2010, 04:07 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Aurora , Colorado
Just an update - the DENCO Unit passed the motion to amend and it has now gone to all the other units in Region 11 for them to vote on.

Tags
wbcci forum