Old 08-30-2011, 07:27 PM   #267
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiDor View Post
What is the NOVA Forum and how do they have anything to do with WBCCI?
I'm not a member of the WBCCI and even I know NOVA is part of the club.

Gene

Old 08-30-2011, 07:31 PM   #268
3 Rivet Member

2007 34' Classic S/O
The Villages , Florida
BY-Laws

Does anyone out there actually believe that changing the WBCCI By-laws will allow the club to grow and prosper? What By-Law change will promote more membership? How will By-Law changes make better Units and Unit Rallies? The heart of the organization is the Units and I truly believe that promoting more and better Unit Rallies will promote growth. Too many units are little clubs that do not go out and get new members and then engage them in unit activities. Do you endeavor to welcome families? Do you have rallies that are fun? Do you make sure that every unit member is aware of the rallies? Do you have a full rally schedule with rallies, luncheons, mini caravans? do you go out with unit members on your own?

If you're doing all that and you still aren't getting any new members, then you ought to take a real hard look at what's wrong.

Changing the club name and changing the By-Laws won't hep make the club more attractive. It's easy to point the finger at the leadership. But is it the right place to point?

[COLOR="Red"]WBCCI #4941

"Jerry and our Amazing Dream Stream"
PhiDor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 07:33 PM   #269
3 Rivet Member

2007 34' Classic S/O
The Villages , Florida
Reply to Crawford Gene

I'm glad you know. Now perhaps you will tell me.
[COLOR="Red"]WBCCI #4941

Old 08-30-2011, 07:38 PM   #270
3 Rivet Member

2007 34' Classic S/O
The Villages , Florida
Never mind.

I spoke to the leaders of NOVA this summer at the International Rally. I didn't realize they were called NOVA.

My mistake.
[COLOR="Red"]WBCCI #4941

Old 08-30-2011, 07:43 PM   #271
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Phil, I believe NOVA was formed to be a virtual unit, i.e., to contact each other through the internet instead of being in any one geographical location. The idea also was to avoid the ceremonies and rules of the WBCCI. The Four Corners unit (4CU) was also formed to be an very informal unit within the WBCCI. I know the 4CU has grown quite a bit since it was formed because it is so informal and welcomes non-members to its events who don't want to be a WBCCI member because of all the controversy.

Nonmembers of the WBCCI follow the threads about the WBCCI follow these threads for a number of reasons, one of which is the fascination of watching a train wreck in slow motion. I, among others, wish the club well, but see the leadership causing more problems than leading in a positive way. I agree with you that strong units are an essential to a good club, but also believe national leaders make a difference too.

Gene
Old 08-30-2011, 07:54 PM   #272
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
PhiDor, your posts are like a breath of fresh air here. You are a dedicated WBCCI member (and volunteer leader) who believes that the units are the foundation of the club. And that the future of the club is the ability to attract new members (who must needs be young, family-oriented folks). Welcome.

From your posts, I think you have a lot in common with progressive units such as NOVA, Four Corners, NEU, WDCU and the like. The problem is that in order to enjoy the benefits of being WBCCI is that you must either support or ignore management's views of the club. But that is galling to a lot of folks. It seems to them that the clubs assets are being spent in order to provide the leadership with all the benefits of leadership without their having to answer to those being led.

As you pointed out, what will changes to bylaws do? "Nothing" is the correct answer. It is culture that has to change. And that won't change because there is still cash in the bank.

Please continue posting - your opinions are most welcome, especially when you can debunk things that are just not true, as you just did. We need more of what you have to say.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 08:09 PM   #273
3 Rivet Member

2007 34' Classic S/O
The Villages , Florida
Leaders

There is no question that strong leaders can make an organization healthy. It is unfortunate that there are so many people who wish to deride their leaders and blame the problems on them. Personally I think it is time to elect our officers for longer terms so they can get something done. By the time they learn the office, it's time to quit. There is a By-Law change for the good.

I also know, from years of experience in various organizations, that beating on the leadership won't help anything. It just makes it worse. Why would a good person want to take over an organization in disarray?

I don't think that NOVA clams to be an "onlne" club just to get away from politics. They have a viable idea for the 21st century and I say let them run with it. I might sign on as an affiliate member myself. Are you going to join them? You sound as though you are not happy. Why not join NOVA?

[COLOR="Red"]WBCCI #4941

Old 08-30-2011, 08:11 PM   #274
Rivet Master

Old 08-30-2011, 08:19 PM   #275
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Phil, I don't think folks are beating on leadership just to be beating on them. I think they are mad because leadership doesn't seem to be leading for the membership, just leading to ensure they get the same perks as their predecessors did.

Folks are really incensed about the position that leadership has taken that the club is not about owning Airstreams - but is about folks who used to own Airstreams but now want to won motorhomes that are not Airstreams, because Airstream doesn't make motorhomes. This position makes sense only to those in that position. And since those are the guys that are in power, nothing else matters. Bylaws? We don't need no stinkin' bylaws. Send in your dues, because it is a great club.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 12:52 AM   #276
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Aurora , Colorado
Phil, you ask so many questions in one post that it is difficult to respond to them. Of course maybe you only meant to be rhetorical.

Obviously someone does "actually believe that changing the WBCCI By-laws will allow the club to grow and prosper", otherwise why put so much work into it?

You ask, "What By-Law change will promote more membership? How will By-Law changes make better Units and Unit Rallies?" The purpose of this particular motion to amend is to give members an enhanced sense of ownership of the club and that in turn would promote membership.

You commented, "The heart of the organization is the Units and I truly believe that promoting more and better Unit Rallies will promote growth." Perhaps this is a truism, but it has been said not just for the last few years, but actually for a couple of decades. Yet, the club continues to decline. For what it's worth, the proposed amendment to the Bylaws (as written in the very first post) is designed to give the Units more say in the running of the Club.

You comment that, "Too many units are little clubs that do not go out and get new members and then engage them in unit activities. Do you endeavor to welcome families? Do you have rallies that are fun? Do you make sure that every unit member is aware of the rallies? Do you have a full rally schedule with rallies, luncheons, mini caravans? do you go out with unit members on your own?" All of what you wrote is necessary to the success of the club, but obviously there is much more to it.

Participation in the organization and running of the club is also important - certainly you believe that, or else you wouldn't bother with being a unit officer. Note also, that the motion to amend is from the Denver Colorado Unit, the largest unit in Region 11, growing and successful. It isn't a little unit, not that that matters. Making motions to amend the WBCCI constitution should be viewed as something healthy and necessary. It isn't something that should be viewed as radical, revolutionary, defeatist, or negative. The people backing the motion have the best interests of the organization at heart. Past International Presidents have asked Units to make motions and be involved. So, why be critical of those that accept that invitation?

You note that, "If you're doing all that and you still aren't getting any new members, then you ought to take a real hard look at what's wrong." I notice that you first appear in the 2007 Membership directory - why should you assume that those who have been at it earlier haven't taken "a real hard look at what's wrong?" There has been much debate, study, imagination and work done.

You claim that, "Changing the club name and changing the By-Laws won't help make the club more attractive. It's easy to point the finger at the leadership. But is it the right place to point?" Well, the Denver Colorado Unit motion to amend is the topic of this thread. Did you read the very first posting of this thread? It doesn't point fingers and has nothing to do with "changing the club name."

I disagree with you that it wouldn't help make the club more attractive. The "hard look" shows that the Bylaws themselves are a big part of "what's wrong," and the only way to solve that part of the problem is to have a more balanced organization where Unit members, represented by their own delegates might remove Bylaws that are discouraging and stifling.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:11 AM   #277
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
IMHO the simplistic to the point Denco motion standing alone will have more positive effect than any total revision ever had a chance to do. jim
Old 08-31-2011, 06:13 AM   #278
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
The International Bylaws have continued to be added to over the club's history. Many of them are restrictive and been put in there due to the feelings of that particular leadership or president at that time. The Bylaws are completely controlled by the Executive board, which changes each year, Almost none of them have ever been removed. At this point, the national Bylaws are over controlling the actions of the units and individual members. This hampers the ability of units to change the way their clubs operate. The club structure and attitudes are out of date. The priorities of the club are not focused on making the club attractive to the new breed of Airstream owner, so they do not join. The Denco amendment attempts to make the Bylaws less restrictive by allowing the units to remove some of them. It would be a good thing, but not completely sufficient to make the changes necessary to make the club more modern and responsive to the members. The seniority rule on selection of leadership needs to stop. The control by the PIPs to make the club rules just to serve they personal desires needs to stop. The club needs to be restructured and focused on providing a benefit package that meets the needs of prospective members if it wishes to reverse the long term downward trend in membership.
Old 08-31-2011, 04:52 PM   #279
Silver Mist

1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
Exclamation

The Revised bylaws were presented to the EC in the Revision committees final report they will be released shortly.

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 04:25 PM   #280
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari SS SE
1969 27' Overlander
Martinez , Georgia
The GA Unit voted to Ratify the DenCo Amendment. There was little dissent. We had 66 of 342 in attendance.

mbmbstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wbcci forum