Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2006, 03:57 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Airstreams, Muscle Cars & Harleys

I had rotator cuff surgery earlier this week, so I had too much time on my hands and read all of the WBCCI posts. (Not sure which caused the greater pain).

People paying 6 figures for a 60’s muscle car at Barrett-Jackson (referred to as car prorn by a friend) or the professional forking over $75 K for a bike built by Orange County Choppers is not unlike the early retiree writing a check for $65,000 for a 25’ Safari FB Limited Edition. The new Chevelle 427 SS owner isn’t looking for a run what you brung street race, nor is the chopper guy pledging the Hell’s Angles or Axeman MC.

Same goes for the new AS owner. He wants to be seen pulling an icon….same as the H-D owners and muscle car collectors.

The demographics of AS owners are changing far faster than the WBCCI can accommodate.

Some sharp marketing guy is going to come down the pike and create an organization that relates to the new AS buyer demographics. (I’d bet on Airstream Life getting the job done).

When Malcom Forbes was photographed with Liz Taylor on the back of his Harley, H-D jumped on that and the Harley Owners Group (HOG) was created as an alternative to outlaw clubs.

My idea of the ideal rig would be a new 25 Safari FB LE pulled by a ’67 El Camino with a big block crate motor and a West Coast Chopper in the bed of the ‘Camino. And don't forget the gold chains!
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 04:15 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
that is why so many of us have " Forum" rallys. No agenda, no requirements ( not even that you have an Airstream) , just an interest in having a good time fellowshipping with others... mostly outdoors. Low key, no key, whatever.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 04:16 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis4x4
I had rotator cuff surgery earlier this week, so I had too much time on my hands and read all of the WBCCI posts. (Not sure which caused the greater pain).

People paying 6 figures for a 60’s muscle car at Barrett-Jackson (referred to as car prorn by a friend) or the professional forking over $75 K for a bike built by Orange County Choppers is not unlike the early retiree writing a check for $65,000 for a 25’ Safari FB Limited Edition.
Hi Denis4x4 -- Hope the recovery goes well. I don't think you'll get laminitis like Barbaro -- I like your retirement plan better than his. I dunno, maybe we got lucky when we ordered our 25' FB SE on July 10, 2005 before Airstream and the dealers knew they could overcharge so much for such a popular model. That is a 50% price increase over the low 40's that we paid. My 'salad years' begin on Sept 1st so I need all the breaks I can get!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis4x4
My idea of the ideal rig would be a new 25 Safari FB LE pulled by a ’67 El Camino with a big block crate motor and a West Coast Chopper in the bed of the ‘Camino. And don't forget the gold chains!
That Safari better be filled with helium!!!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 05:20 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
I know there is a place for the rallys on here, BUT, do you guys ever have a rally down around Oklahoma? I still work and can't get too far away. I would love to go to a rally somewhere close to see some of you. I would love to go to the International; however, the State of Oklahoma (for which I work) wanted me to keep showing up. Any chance of a circulating rally that moves around the country, maybe every three or four months?
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 05:26 PM   #5
_

. , .
hi denis4x4

no question which would be more painful.....
ice and drugs will ease the shoulder.....
only cyanide could save the wb....

i agree with your changing demographics observation,
combined with the changing needs from a 'club'
by these folks who are buying airstreams..

interesting you mention harley.....
at purchase everyone becomes a hog member....
and most will go on to spend more on accessories for the bike
and clothing, gear and lifestyle harley items...
than the original bike purchase....

it's my understanding that the mothership and the dealership owners,
at the spring meeting in vegas...
discussed just this issue......

the need for a hog like club for airstreamers....
all owners granted membership...
company and dealer sponsored rallys
with real cook outs, party lights, and so on....
of course it is hoped that we owners,
enjoying the airstream lifestyle...
would also buy stuff
airsteam stuff
new interiors
clothes
coffee makers
travel gear
and so on

AND that the wb would never be capable of being that club.....
while there are some fine units and 2 viable intraclubs.....
but a lot of dead wood.

i expect we will see ventures in this 'new club' format soon,
perhaps this fall
and by the next homecoming in spring 07....
air'life could be involved, in promoting or reporting about this
but i suspect the kernel will be much closer in the company....

hard line wb'ers mostly don't know just how much support,
financial and other wise
corp has provided over the years
without fanfare
for the wbcci

now it's time for some of that effort to go for a new club....

i'm in, are u?
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 05:38 PM   #6
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by juel
I know there is a place for the rallys on here, BUT, do you guys ever have a rally down around Oklahoma? I still work and can't get too far away. I would love to go to a rally somewhere close to see some of you. I would love to go to the International; however, the State of Oklahoma (for which I work) wanted me to keep showing up. Any chance of a circulating rally that moves around the country, maybe every three or four months?
I think you need to get the ball rolling if you want a rally. I am working on getting one going this Winter in Arizona. The best advise I got was to find a spot, pick a date and let everyone know.
Quote:
If you build it, they will come....

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 05:41 PM   #7
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by juel
do you guys ever have a rally down around Oklahoma? Any chance of a circulating rally that moves around the country, maybe every three or four months?
hi juel,

i think this is a great idea and has been discussed a little in another thread, on a national forum rally.....there was even some type on holding it in ks/mo area!
finding local forum rally's, or options that work for us middle state people......
is an exercise in looking n-s-e-w....for example the central illinois rally is driveable as are the southern colorado events. the texas folks have done some too that i'd consider driving tooo. would you go to arkansas for a rally, or texas, or missouri?

getting people out is always the challenge.....
if i wanted a rally near me (say in oklahoma) i'd pick a time of year with moderate weather and select a state park or army coe park; then briefly discuss a week end (offer 2-3) on the forums.......
then just announce a rally!
people sign up on their own, travel on their own, park on their own and so on....
perhaps the 'organizer' goes so far as to suggest a pot luck and pay a deposit for a group campsite......

then just keep promoting the event, the area, the folks coming and so on...
if you do this someone will come......and a year later more.....and so on.

it is unlikely someone not living in your general area is gonna take this leap of faith and make the effort.....as little planning as it takes....just do it!

really all that needs be done is decide to go camping......
and invite others to join ya!

the sooner state has got plenty of great camping and friendly people....
so go for it!

cheers
2air'

and azflycaster.....i've been following your thread. i'd be very likely to come for an az rally. i understand the issues of holidays in late nov/dec so jan/feb does look better but i'd come in late oct or nov....just dont wait till march......thats toooo far away! i looked over the vintage event at dead horse.....and i may try to come for that 2!
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 07-15-2006, 06:08 PM   #8
Craftsman

I can't see Airstream Life getting involved in a new club much more than maybe reporting about it. To close to home and to many politics involved. I do see the need and desire for a new club, and I think there's no question that it'll happen in the not to distant future. Should be interesting........
Old 07-15-2006, 07:37 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
If you build it they will come... Julie and I ran a very successful one day bicycle ride in Florida for five years. We learned from other events we attended over the years and got great reviews from the attendees each year. And each year it got bigger... and better. We left and tried to run it on remote control but had the plug pulled on our last ride... so we just attend to our riding when we can now.
Bottom line is give it a try.. organize a local rally at a place you enjoy. See what happens.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 08:06 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
1964 19' Globetrotter
2012 Interstate Coach
vero beach , Florida
Wink Twinkey Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman

now it's time for some of that effort to go for a new club....

i'm in, are u?
2air'
Count us in.
If Harley owners are Hogs; what would we be -------Twinkeys?
Rasta Twinks maybe? Oh yeah!

07, 25' Ocean Breeze
64, 19' Globetrotter

Air #7609
denellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 09:23 PM   #11
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
and azflycaster.....i've been following your thread. i'd be very likely to come for an az rally. i understand the issues of holidays in late nov/dec so jan/feb does look better but i'd come in late oct or nov....just dont wait till march......thats toooo far away! i looked over the vintage event at dead horse.....and i may try to come for that 2!
2air'
2air,
that would be great.....
you would be easy to spot
now that everyone knows what you look like....
Attached Images

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 09:41 PM   #12
_

. , .

oh my, did i just break a rib laughin?

very nice......az'

2air'

Old 07-15-2006, 09:43 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Chandler , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
I think you need to get the ball rolling if you want a rally. I am working on getting one going this Winter in Arizona. The best advise I got was to find a spot, pick a date and let everyone know.
So where we going boss? End of October is still good for us... I'm shopping for a "power plant" so we'll be good anywhere.... I still vote for some fishing near by camp, but let the group decide.... Our travel plans are filling quickly for the next 5 months....I'll help plan a group cook...maybe a MEXICAN Feast....A little Carne Asada...some Mexican rice...fresh tortillas.....I make really good beans...even my Mexican friends. Say damn... them are some good beans Brent. Let us know.
AZstreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 09:47 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Chandler , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
2air,
that would be great.....
you would be easy to spot
now that everyone knows what you look like....

This Rasta Air seems to be stinking... I’m mean sticking....
Old 07-15-2006, 09:52 PM   #15
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZstreamin
This Rasta Air seems to be stinking... I’m mean sticking....
just wait till you are under the spell of the beret mon!

didn't monty python have a piece on the society for silly hats?

cheers
2air'

Old 07-15-2006, 10:09 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Chandler , Arizona
Bring on the beret.......if at some time it wears tired... you could always sport this....

Monty Python Ministry of Silly Hats....(like the red hats ladies....just different)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ance&n=1036592
Attached Images