Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-15-2007, 10:03 AM   #1
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Airstream/WBCCI "TO HAVE FUN"

Why was the WBCCI established?

Three very simple words, ‘TO HAVE FUN.”

Airstream like any other manufacturing company was created to make a product. For the owner and entrepreneur, Wally Byam to fulfill his goals in life and to make a living.

The first Caravan in 1951 was conceived to assist Airstream owners, and others (the first few Caravans were open to all manufactured RV’s), to travel as an American Community. Airstream’s reward was publicity to sell Airstreams.

The Club was a natural occurrence. This American Community of Airstream owners wanted to get together on a local basis and chew the fat, remember the good times, and take their Airstreams out on a more frequent basis, but for a shorter period of time. The Club Members wanted the club to be exclusive for Airstream Owners only.

Let’s go back to Caravans. The Caravans could never have gone ten miles with out a sub-structure and delegation of duties. Wally Byam was a master of organization.

The Club core was the volunteers; the go-to-people that assisted in making the Caravans go. This spirit, this dedication, this form of personal involvement was the core of the WBCCI in 1955.

Check out the Jack Rabbits; thank them for your club today. They “hounded” Wally to form a club.

http://sierranevadaairstreams.org/memories/history/peewee/early-wbcci/jack-rabbits.html

My Mother, Helen Byam Schwamborn, was given the task, by Wally, to start a headquarters to be the home of the Club, and the action center for Caravans. Three major Caravans came from the Headquarters in the early days. (Europe 1956, Africa 1959, Around-the-World 1963.)

Because of the dedication of the members and the organizational and interpersonal skills of Helen, the Club grew, and grew, and grew…what a growth!

Yes, Airstream funded the Headquarters. Yes, it was a marketing tool. However both entities this symbiotic relationship endorsed the purpose, ‘TO HAVE FUN.”

My pride swells every time I pass an Airstream on the highway, or see one on TV.

Remember, have fun, that’s what this is all about.

That’s all Wally wanted for you, and that is all my Mother wanted for you.

“TO HAVE FUN!”

See you on the road.

Dale “Pee Wee” Schwamborn

Footnote:

I was a family member before there was Caravan.

I traveled on the !st Caravan.

I went on a total of five Caravans. (1951 Mexico, Central America; 1955 Eastern Canada, 1956 Europe, 1957 Eastern Canada, and 1959 Africa, the Holy Land, and Europe)

I scouted two Cavavans 1959 Africa, and 1961 Eastern Canadian Caravan.

I worked at the California Airstream Plant from 1964 to 1969.

I have been to five International Rally’s.

I am former owner of Wally’s gold trailer.

I am a Charter Member of the WBCCI.

This is being told to you not that I am extraordinary, I’m just a fortunate person to have been part of this history.

When I say “TO HAVE FUN”, I mean it and I know that’s what it is all about.
PeeWee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 10:05 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Thank You PeeWee. You would know best on this topic.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 10:52 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Thanks PeeWee, can't tell you what a thrill it is to have you post to us as you have. I hope it is only the beginning of many more to come. Enthusiasm and energy and experience like yours is something I think many have been parched for. Take time and the AS and go have fun, such a pleasant reminder.

Please do tell us more about your Airstreaming and family...

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 10:53 AM   #4
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
PeeWee, thank you and welcome!

So, what, in your humble oppinion, would put the FUN back in the WBCCI?

Michael
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 11:24 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Airstream/WBCCI "TO HAVE FUN"

Thanks for such a "refreshing" post! In this day and age of so many "naysayers" and self centered individuals it's nice to have the simple wish of "have fun". Isn't that why most of us bought our Airstreams and why most of us enjoy getting out in them?

Thanks again.....onward and upward
centennialman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 11:38 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Thanks!

Thanks for sharing that with us Dale. That's a wonderful story. Please, tell us more should you have the chance or desire to do so.
Happy Trails
Old 08-05-2007, 05:24 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Central Florida , Florida
Fun

We younger members in the Northern Illinois Unit want to make the unit very dynamic by having the focus of our activites being FUN.

F ellowship with Airstreamers
U limited adventures
N ew experiences

2008 Classic 34
Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab CTD
Air Apparent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 05:27 PM   #8

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Thank you for the insight.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 05:49 PM   #9
Cyclist

2007 28' International CCD
Windermere , Florida
We are new members to WBCCI, and, look forward to our first rally. We are considerate neighbors.
But, we have heard that there are lots of rules. Specifically, I like to spread my gear out a bit, hang patio lights, fly colorful flags, and run some quiet generators if no 30 amp service. And, what if I forget to slide my tow mirrors in? Also, we don't conserve well. I need to dump my tanks at least every other day. Should we give it a try or stay away?

Tom
henw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 05:50 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
New horizons - WBCCI New England Unit

Well, I'm sure I'll regret this post tomorrow morning.

*Some* units are fun and are growing (fun from my point of view). Region / International events are not (from my point of view).

Times have changed. We are not the club (people) featured in the movie / DVD "Silver Palace". That is part of WBCCI history (though well loved). My WBCCI unit is about family fun and adventure. Yep, this means kids, dogs, cats, birds and lots of them. It's all about travel via caravans (yep, we have fantastic unit caravans) and fun filled rallies for our members (yep, every month from March to November in New England!). From what I see many WBCCI units have not kept pace and even resist change. Too bad, change is hard but change *is*good.

Pee Wee is right, the club is all about having FUN. Every unit should be looking to increase "Fun, Fellowship and Adventure". Accept change, change is GOOD.

I believe positive, forward thinking leadership will save our club. This means embracing all members, old and new. No more name calling, or casting off of other folks opinions just because they differ from yours. This is a club of diverse souls, and I am better because of it and just want it to continue.

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 12:51 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Airstream and be Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artstream
PeeWee, thank you and welcome!

So, what, in your humble oppinion, would put the FUN back in the WBCCI?

Michael

Mike,

To have fun one must travel down the Airstream heritage.

Wally Byam as a youngster herded sheep. From this task he grew fond of the outdoors. After leaving the publishing business in the late 20’s and very early 30’s, Wally combined his enthusiasm of the outdoors with a new industry the trailer.

The evolution began.

Wally had his problems. The doors of Airstream were closed several times. The war came along. Tough times weren't over. But an innovative form of travel gave Airstream a shot in the arm, and was the incubator for the WBCCI and that was the 1951 Caravan to Mexico and Central America.

Wally always believed in his product. IT was made for the open road. To go where you wanted to go, to camp in your own home, away from home.

The Caravans through early 1955 were open to all makes. The January 1955 Caravan was the largest peace time evasion of a foreign country. 500 trailers, 500 families a truly major undertaking.

Wally not only had a following of Airstream owners from the Caravans, but he was a favorite of all Airstream owners.

Caravans took several months. They were fun. But how many Caravans can a person take a year? How do you see your friends? Just what to do?

The Airstream owners took over. They told Wally, “Let’s form a club.”

And they did, in 1955, when Helen Byam Schwamborn joined the Airstream family and a club was formed in Nova Scotia.

That the history. A rather wordy introduction to have fun. We're getting there.

At this point we know that Airstream is the prime mover for fun. The second part of this is friendships.

The power of the Caravans and the Clubs is companionship and participation. When you belong to the WBCCI each member has or should have a part in the Club. It is a fact those that keep busy, stay happy. That’s why the volunteer and delegations of Club responsibilities is so central for the success of your Club. Guess what? When you do things for others and yourself you have the satisfaction of making others happy, and the pride of knowing that you were a part of this participation.

To have fun. Own an Airstream. Belong to a Club. Be a friend. Participate. Take pride.

I just returned from a speaking engagement with the VAC group in Breckenridge, CO. Let me tell you they have fun. They are friends. They have bonds. They are organized. And they know the spirit of the Club…”to have fun!”

This may not be the answer you were anticipating. But “to have fun” is a logical progression from the first time Wally camped out and it goes right on through to today. People make and share fun as a community. Go for it!

See you on the road.

Dale "Pee Wee" Schwamborn
Old 08-07-2007, 01:05 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeWee
<snip>I just returned from a speaking engagement with the VAC group in Breckenridge, CO. Let me tell you they have fun. They are friends. They have bonds. They are organized. And they know the spirit of the Club…”to have fun!”

Aw shucks, thanks PeeWee! We sure enjoyed having you show us how it was done!

I'm looking forward to the next time our paths cross ~

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 07:56 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeWee

Mike,

To have fun one must travel down the Airstream heritage.

Wally Byam as a youngster herded sheep. From this task he grew fond of the outdoors. After leaving the publishing business in the late 20’s and very early 30’s, Wally combined his enthusiasm of the outdoors with a new industry the trailer.

The evolution began.

Wally had his problems. The doors of Airstream were closed several times. The war came along. Tough times weren't over. But an innovative form of travel gave Airstream a shot in the arm, and was the incubator for the WBCCI and that was the 1951 Caravan to Mexico and Central America.

Wally always believed in his product. IT was made for the open road. To go where you wanted to go, to camp in your own home, away from home.

The Caravans through early 1955 were open to all makes. The January 1955 Caravan was the largest peace time evasion of a foreign country. 500 trailers, 500 families a truly major undertaking.

Wally not only had a following of Airstream owners from the Caravans, but he was a favorite of all Airstream owners.

Caravans took several months. They were fun. But how many Caravans can a person take a year? How do you see your friends? Just what to do?

The Airstream owners took over. They told Wally, “Let’s form a club.”

And they did, in 1955, when Helen Byam Schwamborn joined the Airstream family and a club was formed in Nova Scotia.

That the history. A rather wordy introduction to have fun. We're getting there.

At this point we know that Airstream is the prime mover for fun. The second part of this is friendships.

The power of the Caravans and the Clubs is companionship and participation. When you belong to the WBCCI each member has or should have a part in the Club. It is a fact those that keep busy, stay happy. That’s why the volunteer and delegations of Club responsibilities is so central for the success of your Club. Guess what? When you do things for others and yourself you have the satisfaction of making others happy, and the pride of knowing that you were a part of this participation.

To have fun. Own an Airstream. Belong to a Club. Be a friend. Participate. Take pride.

I just returned from a speaking engagement with the VAC group in Breckenridge, CO. Let me tell you they have fun. They are friends. They have bonds. They are organized. And they know the spirit of the Club…”to have fun!”

This may not be the answer you were anticipating. But “to have fun” is a logical progression from the first time Wally camped out and it goes right on through to today. People make and share fun as a community. Go for it!

See you on the road.

PeeWee,

That's about the most refreshing and sensible thing I've heard in a long time - thank you.

We always have fun - either when we are camping, or just as much when we are "on the road". We love to camp alone. And every bit as much we love to share with others, and have developed friendships and comraderie in the process.

I think you have captured a spirit that will resonate well within this forum. Thank you again!
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 09:16 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
orlando , New Mexico, Utah, Colorado
-I just received my WBCCI membership package in the mail. I was a member at large, but have since joined the New Hampshire group, I may get there this spring...

I would like to write why I joined. I am a nut case, I can't comform, I am lazy and innovative, not at all dumb, but if you look at me, you would think so. I joined to have fun, and participate in a piece of American history. Yes, this is a Silver Palace, a W. Virginia hillbilly shack, a ranchette, a dog kennel, a gun range, a photo base, a camp lodge. This is what I make out of it, so is my life. And besides, I can't wait for the old stodgy people I hear complained about meet my Brasilian wife that is 20 (yep, countem, twenty) years younger then me! (I am 50, she is about to turn 30.)

I am carrying with me an el cheapo .243, a 60 year old Contax rangefinder, a 4x5 inch camera, I am starting a new hobby of training a Malinois, I would love to collaborate with anyone and build a web site, I have the domain, Expressions Web, Office/XP, all of the tools. My past hobbies included raising parrots, wolves and children. I want to go to Mexico in 2008 with WBCCI but first I want a sit on fishing kayak. I haven't square danced since grade school, I would love to do that again.

I want to enjoy life and worry about it less, there is no checkered flag in my book for arriving at the stop light first.

If possible, my epitaph will read "The only appointment he ever made; (fill in date here)".

THE ONLY DOUBT I HAVE about the WBCCI is putting those big red numbers on my Safari...yikes, they are funny, I may do it just for a laugh.

WBCCI #3841
jacarape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 09:37 AM   #15
Cyclist

2007 28' International CCD
Windermere , Florida
I was concerned about the red numbers as well. Then I saw that lots of folks just put some address type numbers on a plaque. Set it up on trailer or in the ground at rally events etc.

Tom
henw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 10:03 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Red numbers

As a child I would see the red numbers on Airstreams going by. Every Airstream had them. I thought they came that way from the factory.

I think Airstreams without them are missing something.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 01:48 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacarape
-I just received my WBCCI membership package in the mail. I was a member at large, but have since joined the New Hampshire group, I may get there this spring...

I would like to write why I joined. I am a nut case, I can't comform, I am lazy and innovative, not at all dumb, but if you look at me, you would think so. I joined to have fun, and participate in a piece of American history. Yes, this is a Silver Palace, a W. Virginia hillbilly shack, a ranchette, a dog kennel, a gun range, a photo base, a camp lodge. This is what I make out of it, so is my life. And besides, I can't wait for the old stodgy people I hear complained about meet my Brasilian wife that is 20 (yep, countem, twenty) years younger then me! (I am 50, she is about to turn 30.)

I am carrying with me an el cheapo .243, a 60 year old Contax rangefinder, a 4x5 inch camera, I am starting a new hobby of training a Malinois, I would love to collaborate with anyone and build a web site, I have the domain, Expressions Web, Office/XP, all of the tools. My past hobbies included raising parrots, wolves and children. I want to go to Mexico in 2008 with WBCCI but first I want a sit on fishing kayak. I haven't square danced since grade school, I would love to do that again.

I want to enjoy life and worry about it less, there is no checkered flag in my book for arriving at the stop light first.

If possible, my epitaph will read "The only appointment he ever made; (fill in date here)".

THE ONLY DOUBT I HAVE about the WBCCI is putting those big red numbers on my Safari...yikes, they are funny, I may do it just for a laugh.
Wow! What a wonderful and exciting personal life you have. I know that you will do well and enjoy the WBCCI. You will be able to contribute so much to the Club.

Welcome!

Old 11-03-2007, 11:07 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
What we like and enjoy is to go out in AS several times a month to a membership park we belong to. Actually it is considered a wildlife preserve. The sites are large and not crowded.

We can ride our bikes, walk, play minature golf, swim, do the hot tub thing, or what ever we like. Basically, just doing nothing but enjoying the great outdoors. We enjoy feeding the deer and visiting with other RV'ers. Again, just doing nothing. Wake up when you want to and go to bed the same way.

We have never attended a regional or larger rally but are planning on Bozman next year if my tux still fits.
gaylejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 04:41 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
our twice a year get togethers in Georgia ( Falluminum and Springstream) are built on an agenda of FUN, Sharing and more fun. Laid back and casual with very little agenda or demands.
Its great to share Airstreamin' with others who want only to pursue life, liberty and happiness, in the outdoors.
Thanks Mr Pee Wee for your insight and refreshing attitude.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 07:06 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Evergreen , Colorado
PEE WEE, Thank you,Thank You. We all need to work to make the WBCCI all that it's founder wanted it to be. Yes, have fun,respect and learn and help each other and ,yes, have fun. Thank you again for reminding us.
Allen H is offline   Reply With Quote