Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2009, 05:08 AM   #41
Rivet Master

1956 26' Cruiser/Overlander
1967 17' Caravel
Newport , New Hampshire
I have been a member since 2001, been to a few internationals, VAC's, Regions, followed posts, been chewed up and spit out as President of a Unit, and read both negative and positive on this forum.

It is about fun-thanks for the reminder Pee-Wee. If you can keep your focus and make every remark, think of every exchange you have verbally with other members from this perspective and make your decisions from this simple base first, you can have fun. I think sometimes we take things too seriously, we become too intense, too minute in our thinking in regards to the club because we ALL want it to survive and thrive.

It's a club and exists for the purpose of having fun.

Robin

"Reality Is The Leading Cause Of Stress"
"There are only five great men in the world and three of them are hamburgers."
rgesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 10:04 PM   #42
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Return to Wally's bequeath to you the WBCCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeWee View Post
Why was the WBCCI established?

Three very simple words, ‘TO HAVE FUN.”

Airstream like any other manufacturing company was created to make a product. For the owner and entrepreneur, Wally Byam to fulfill his goals in life and to make a living.

The first Caravan in 1951 was conceived to assist Airstream owners, and others (the first few Caravans were open to all manufactured RV’s), to travel as an American Community. Airstream’s reward was publicity to sell Airstreams.

The Club was a natural occurrence. This American Community of Airstream owners wanted to get together on a local basis and chew the fat, remember the good times, and take their Airstreams out on a more frequent basis, but for a shorter period of time. The Club Members wanted the club to be exclusive for Airstream Owners only.

Let’s go back to Caravans. The Caravans could never have gone ten miles with out a sub-structure and delegation of duties. Wally Byam was a master of organization.

The Club core was the volunteers; the go-to-people that assisted in making the Caravans go. This spirit, this dedication, this form of personal involvement was the core of the WBCCI in 1955.

Check out the Jack Rabbits; thank them for your club today. They “hounded” Wally to form a club.

http://sierranevadaairstreams.org/memories/history/peewee/early-wbcci/jack-rabbits.html

My Mother, Helen Byam Schwamborn, was given the task, by Wally, to start a headquarters to be the home of the Club, and the action center for Caravans. Three major Caravans came from the Headquarters in the early days. (Europe 1956, Africa 1959, Around-the-World 1963.)

Because of the dedication of the members and the organizational and interpersonal skills of Helen, the Club grew, and grew, and grew…what a growth!

Yes, Airstream funded the Headquarters. Yes, it was a marketing tool. However both entities this symbiotic relationship endorsed the purpose, ‘TO HAVE FUN.”

My pride swells every time I pass an Airstream on the highway, or see one on TV.

Remember, have fun, that’s what this is all about.

That’s all Wally wanted for you, and that is all my Mother wanted for you.

“TO HAVE FUN!”

See you on the road.

Dale “Pee Wee” Schwamborn

Footnote:

I was a family member before there was Caravan.

I traveled on the !st Caravan.

I went on a total of five Caravans. (1951 Mexico, Central America; 1955 Eastern Canada, 1956 Europe, 1957 Eastern Canada, and 1959 Africa, the Holy Land, and Europe)

I scouted two Cavavans 1959 Africa, and 1961 Eastern Canadian Caravan.

I worked at the California Airstream Plant from 1964 to 1969.

I have been to five International Rally’s.

I am former owner of Wally’s gold trailer.

I am a Charter Member of the WBCCI.

This is being told to you not that I am extraordinary, I’m just a fortunate person to have been part of this history.

When I say “TO HAVE FUN”, I mean it and I know that’s what it is all about.
I see that some people have quoted my "To Have Fun", there is, I guess, nothing new under the sun.
Old 02-20-2010, 03:58 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Fun and Funny

It just so happens...I was looking at your Xmas card from 1959 and really took a closer look. Ha Ha Ha And what do I see, a surprise. Is that Wally center top? I can't believe I had missed that before. No stodgy protocol dressing for those folks!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dalesxmascard59.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	347.8 KB
ID:	96551  

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 08:34 AM   #44
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Technically I'm Gone, but this will serve history

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested View Post
It just so happens...I was looking at your Xmas card from 1959 and really took a closer look. Ha Ha Ha And what do I see, a surprise. Is that Wally center top? I can't believe I had missed that before. No stodgy protocol dressing for those folks!!
'

Sorry to let you know we had protocol you don't meet an Emperor in weekender's clothing.

Secondly that is not Wally in his maiden form bra, it is a banker from Indiana, Don Christie.

We had travel clothing, work clothing, and the proper dress clothing. We weren't traveling as hicks.
Old 02-20-2010, 08:56 AM   #45
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Thanks! When I saw it again and saw the girdle tabs for nylons and then looked more closely I was laughing out loud. I thought it was Wally so I am glad you straightened me out. Still though, that seems to be wild and crazy and many years the junior of Second City TV or SNL (Saturday Night Live.) I love the old pictures.

photography
Old 02-20-2010, 09:49 AM   #46
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
One Crazy Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested View Post
Thanks! When I saw it again and saw the girdle tabs for nylons and then looked more closely I was laughing out loud. I thought it was Wally so I am glad you straightened me out. Still though, that seems to be wild and crazy and many years the junior of Second City TV or SNL (Saturday Night Live.) I love the old pictures.
Steve Martin used the phrase "One Crazy Man" or something like that.
Don could rise to the zanies. When crossing the equator, he thought that doing in a Maiden Form Bra was the way to go. It was a by play on the Maiden Form ads appearing on TV in the 50's.

I do intend to stay off the forums, but it is necessary to correct history, as mentioned.

Here is a picture of Don, up close and personal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12-31-2009 September Copy Work (18).jpg
Views:	193
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	96588  
Old 02-20-2010, 10:14 AM   #47
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Thanks, but do come back Pee Wee. We all miss you and what's more we do need you. Tell us more history.

photography
Old 02-22-2010, 09:42 PM   #48
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
This thread was started to share some of the history of the WBCCI. It was not intended to become a political discussion. Please keep your comments on track and and do not hijack this discussion.

The posts that were removed from this thread can now be found here: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f440...fun-61526.html

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 08:57 AM   #49
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
Currently Looking...
JOY IN , Arizona
Tradition is so important along with history.I am amazed at the stories of airstream camping before the gray and black water tanks.How members made a game of decorating their black and gray water holes made by a post hole digger.Life seemed more simpler back then.
wbcci ,#3510 NEU & 4cu https://fire1.smugmug.com
firedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 09:19 AM   #50
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
This thread was started to share some of the history of the WBCCI. It was not intended to become a political discussion. Please keep your comments on track and and do not hijack this discussion.

The posts that were removed from this thread can now be found here: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f440...fun-61526.html

Thanks Richard and other mods...tough job you have, but well done...mike
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 10:01 AM   #51
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeWee View Post
I see that some people have quoted my "To Have Fun", there is, I guess, nothing new under the sun.
Dale,

So that we keep the history accurate, it seems someone used "your" remark 24 years before you did.

https://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote