Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-31-2007, 01:01 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Crestview , Florida
PeeWee- Enjoyed reading your posts. i think ultimately it is up to each individual to create their own fun with their Airstream. It's like my house, nobody isn't going to tell me I can't have fun in it. If I want to hang decorative lights on my awning, I'm going to do it. I don't look at the WBCCI as being the equivalent of a home owner's association, but rather as an open door to oportunities for going places and meeting people. Sure, I could do all this independantly, but I am fortunate to belong to a local unit that owns its own campground and I think that is cool!
Old 06-24-2008, 10:19 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Milton , Washington
Is WBCCI Relevent to me?

I bought a 30' Classic, am a professional, old, and ready to take the time to travel, visit new places and enjoy the remainderof my time looking at flowers, fishing and the mountains. My parents owned an Airstream and were members of the club. My question is: has the WBCCI outlived its purpose, has it failed to adapt to the times and is it relevant and useful to me? I can't answer those questions as I have had no contact with the group, have not participated or been asked to partcipate in any of their events. Is the club an anachronism to the times? Being bewildered it seems like club would be a great thing but I am bewildered? All help and suggestions appreciated.
Kenyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 11:32 PM   #23
Aluminum in 3-D

1968 28' Ambassador
Seaside , Oregon
Kenyon, All I can say is go to a rally. Take a look at the wbcci rallies on the forum and sign-up for a rally. My husband and I enjoy both the wbcci and forum rallies. More vintage, diy types in the forum and newer rigs and newly retired types( at least in our Oregon unit)in the wbcci. We like being part of the history of airstream in the wbcci and the great red letters plastered on our old 81. In the wbcci you can be as active or inactive as you like and as far as I've seen no secret handshake or such.

Membership chair
Wally Byam Airstream Club
Past President Oregon Unit 090

Campfires, the original social media!
wbcci#29827

Check out the [URL="https://airstreamclub.org/"and Wally Byam Airstream Club on facebook
Blue Pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 12:53 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Crestview , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenyon View Post
I bought a 30' Classic, am a professional, old, and ready to take the time to travel, visit new places and enjoy the remainderof my time looking at flowers, fishing and the mountains. My parents owned an Airstream and were members of the club. My question is: has the WBCCI outlived its purpose, has it failed to adapt to the times and is it relevant and useful to me? I can't answer those questions as I have had no contact with the group, have not participated or been asked to partcipate in any of their events. Is the club an anachronism to the times? Being bewildered it seems like club would be a great thing but I am bewildered? All help and suggestions appreciated.
The WBCCI concept has always focused on going places and meeting people, I don't think this idea ever gets outdated!

From my perspective, being retired is probably the best way to enjoy WBCCI membership. We're not retired yet and we belong to the WBCCI and attend the local rallies, which normally begin on Thursdays, but since we both still work, we usually arrive on Friday afternoons. That's no big deal and we really like the WBCCI rallies. We've been to one forums rally and really liked it and plan to attend more of them as well.

It'd be interesting to see how others view this but from our point of view, the younger Airstream owner with families tend to own the vintage units and attend more of the forums rallies, whereas the retired Airsteam owners tend to own "newer" units, or even brand new ones and belong to the WBCCI.

I think WBCCI is probably more well known for it's caravans than even the rallies and that is why I think it appears to be more geared for retired people, because it is hard for working families to be able to take off for a couple of weeks at a time. The fact that people tend to be older when they retire is just a fact of life, I don't know anyone personally who had enough money to be able to afford to retire at 35 years old.

I say, belong to the WBCCI, meet lots of people and go lots of places. You can allways go to forum rallies or other independant events whenever you want, I don't see anything inconvienent about doing both as long as you have the time and money to travel.

This gives me an idea that maybe should be a another thread but we have Buddy Rallies, and I understand that in the early days of the WBCCI, non-Airstream owners were allowed on caravans. What about having some "Buddy Caravans"? Show other R.V. owners wha WBCCI has to offer! Or, perhaps there is already such a thing?
Old 07-16-2008, 10:33 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

Having fun

Reading through some of the threads on this forum, you would think that the majority of WBCCI rallies whether international or unit, are stiff, formal affairs where attendance is mandated and uniforms required. That fun is hard to come by. It seems that unless you are in a certain age group, a member of a certain unit or group, or adhere to a certain definition of fun you have no idea how to have fun at a rally. It also seems that there is a group of people who expect others to plan activities and create fun (as they define it) FOR them. They don't seem to be able to create fun activities on their own or they find it takes too much effort. When someone else's idea of fun doesn't meet a certain set of criteria, the most common thing is to belittle it. This contrasts with a whole subforum that is devoted to threads on fun and games.

Looking through my archives and from my own experiences I know fun has always been a key part of WBCCI events regardless of age or any other factors. From Helen and her hula hoops to activities at most of today's rallies, fun is part of the WBCCI experience. What I remember is that activities at rallies and other events were always open to everyone regardless of age and it was up to the individuals to choose to participate or not. Kids as well as adults of all ages joined in the parades, pot lucks and other activities. For the most part there were no specially planned activities for any specific age group.

It is true that individuals as well as every Unit has their own ideas of what is fun. That is one of the great things about WBCCI Units, you can find one that does things and goes places that matches most closely to what you consider fun. Every Unit develops their own sense of what is fun and just because it doesn't meet what other people consider fun doesn't mean they are a dull and boring group. As long as the members enjoy whatever the Unit does that's what counts. Fun is in the eye of the beholder. As many of the responses on this thread have said, it is up to us as individuals to ensure our rallies and other activities are fun for everyone. Variety is one of the best ways to ensure everyone has a great time, wants to come back, and better yet wants to help create fun at the next event.

These pictures are some examples. They include the parade held at the 1959 WBCCI International Rally in Wisconsin Dells , 1960 WBCCI International Rally in Colorado Springs, two Unit rallies in the 1980's.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	239a-wdells-parade.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	63797   Click image for larger version

Name:	60-076-parade13.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	63798  

Click image for larger version

Name:	80ja-v44p04r3-13-mbcu-mbrs.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	63799  
Attached Images

Sierra Nevada Unit #157
https://sierranevadaairstreams.org
SierraBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 08:19 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Yes, and if you want to get to know WBCCI folks, just approach some of them on a campground someplace and ask them! We've got WBCCI rigs on the campground right now; they're working their way back from Bozeman the long way around back toward Mississippi, where their home unit is. And they're really, really nice and fun to be around!

Lynn

PS: And it was really neat for us to hear from folks live-and-in-the-flesh who'd just been to Bozeman! There's no way we can make it to next year's but one of them gave us brochures for Gillette with a Big Grin.
Old 07-18-2008, 11:17 AM   #27
1 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Fallon , Nevada
Peewee, i enjoyed meeting you and your wife in Bozeman, and the dinner we had together. The discussion was one not only of interest but enlightenment. You read in some of these blogs what other people interrpret as your beliefs. I am glad that you posted what in essence was part of the discussion we had. I would enjoy seeing you post more of what was said not only around the dinner table but also in your question and answer talk. As i said at dinner I would also like to see you continue with your history of Airstream and WBCCI that you and the Leippers are doing on the SNU site you mentioned. Once again thank you for the time at dinner and the question and answer time.
Jerry Thornburg
President SNU
JerryDyann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 12:26 PM   #28

1972 29' Ambassador
Tucson , Arizona
Question 1972 Ambassador LY Caravanas de Mexico

I am not sure if this is the proper place for me to post this inquiry, but here goes. We have a 1972 Airstream Ambassador LY. It has the number 21398 and as a faded sticker with caravanas de Mexico on it. I am trying to find out some history on our trailer and if it was indeed one of the trailers that was included in this Mexico caravan in 1972. Anyone who could provide me with more info on our unit, I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks for your help
Marian Heath
MHeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 04:36 PM   #29
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Bozeman...a place to "Have Fun"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeWee View Post
Why was the WBCCI established?

Three very simple words, ‘TO HAVE FUN.”

Airstream like any other manufacturing company was created to make a product. For the owner and entrepreneur, Wally Byam to fulfill his goals in life and to make a living.

The first Caravan in 1951 was conceived to assist Airstream owners, and others (the first few Caravans were open to all manufactured RV’s), to travel as an American Community. Airstream’s reward was publicity to sell Airstreams.

The Club was a natural occurrence. This American Community of Airstream owners wanted to get together on a local basis and chew the fat, remember the good times, and take their Airstreams out on a more frequent basis, but for a shorter period of time. The Club Members wanted the club to be exclusive for Airstream Owners only.

Let’s go back to Caravans. The Caravans could never have gone ten miles with out a sub-structure and delegation of duties. Wally Byam was a master of organization.

The Club core was the volunteers; the go-to-people that assisted in making the Caravans go. This spirit, this dedication, this form of personal involvement was the core of the WBCCI in 1955.

Check out the Jack Rabbits; thank them for your club today. They “hounded” Wally to form a club.

http://sierranevadaairstreams.org/memories/history/peewee/early-wbcci/jack-rabbits.html

My Mother, Helen Byam Schwamborn, was given the task, by Wally, to start a headquarters to be the home of the Club, and the action center for Caravans. Three major Caravans came from the Headquarters in the early days. (Europe 1956, Africa 1959, Around-the-World 1963.)

Because of the dedication of the members and the organizational and interpersonal skills of Helen, the Club grew, and grew, and grew…what a growth!

Yes, Airstream funded the Headquarters. Yes, it was a marketing tool. However both entities this symbiotic relationship endorsed the purpose, ‘TO HAVE FUN.”

My pride swells every time I pass an Airstream on the highway, or see one on TV.

Remember, have fun, that’s what this is all about.

That’s all Wally wanted for you, and that is all my Mother wanted for you.

“TO HAVE FUN!”

See you on the road.

Dale “Pee Wee” Schwamborn

Footnote:

I was a family member before there was Caravan.

I traveled on the !st Caravan.

I went on a total of five Caravans. (1951 Mexico, Central America; 1955 Eastern Canada, 1956 Europe, 1957 Eastern Canada, and 1959 Africa, the Holy Land, and Europe)

I scouted two Cavavans 1959 Africa, and 1961 Eastern Canadian Caravan.

I worked at the California Airstream Plant from 1964 to 1969.

I have been to five International Rally’s.

I am former owner of Wally’s gold trailer.

I am a Charter Member of the WBCCI.

This is being told to you not that I am extraordinary, I’m just a fortunate person to have been part of this history.

When I say “TO HAVE FUN”, I mean it and I know that’s what it is all about.
Yes, "TO HAVE FUN"!

After Sue and I went to Bozeman it brought back the reason why we do what we do. I met many freinds. Some old, and many new friends but all of us have a common bond, the Airstream Way of Life and the memories of Wally Byam and Helen Byam Schwamborn.

Thank you alll for a memorable Bozeman. Never forget to "Have Fun."

Pee Wee
PeeWee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 09:51 AM   #30
1 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Saint James , New York
Send a message via MSN to Byteman
Thank You, et al

So well said!~ BRAVO!~

This is the spirit in which members engage what ails us (IMHO). We want fun with friends and family. I am a member for 9mos? The bruhaha has been discouraging.

However, I feel all of this ends up really re-igniting the values expressed by PeeWee in our new(er) membership. PeeWee's message is the very (and only) reason I joined WBCCI. Your words, and the words of others you've shared your Airstream life with should be memorialized so that we may walk very close to the path Wally (and Helen) have shown us!
Byteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 11:10 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

1992 34' Excella
riverhead , New York
Fun vs. Arogance

We are a fun club, my unit is tops! I love my camping buddies we get together whenever we could figure any excuse at all. However, one of our camping buddies - a great volunteer - an asset to our unit - and an incoming Unit President - has become the new target of the IBT.

Regretfully, we don't want him yanked from our unit. The rules and laws are stacked agaist us.

I too am very disapointed in the actions of IBT and the greater majority of our WBCCI leaders.

We had a wonderful rally this past weekend - it ended with the bad news that our incoming President Leo Garvey is about to be EXHILED from our unit and our great club.
Old 08-26-2008, 02:43 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
4cu

To all the disgruntled

It's time you get off the porch and join the 4 corners unit. Running with us is going to be a wild ride.
Come have fun the way Wally intended it to be .NO WBCCI politics,just fun And that the honky tonk truth.
Old 08-27-2008, 06:50 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

1992 34' Excella
riverhead , New York
Metro New York is a great Unit too!

I can appreciate your fellings about 4 corners. I met some members. We too have a great unit, however the IBT guys are yanking some out of the club. We have a great time, they just won't leave us alone.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:36 PM   #34
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Protect the History and "Have FUn"

Quote:
Why was the WBCCI established?

Three very simple words, ‘TO HAVE FUN.”

Airstream like any other manufacturing company was created to make a product. For the owner and entrepreneur, Wally Byam to fulfill his goals in life and to make a living.

The first Caravan in 1951 was conceived to assist Airstream owners, and others (the first few Caravans were open to all manufactured RV’s), to travel as an American Community. Airstream’s reward was publicity to sell Airstreams.

The Club was a natural occurrence. This American Community of Airstream owners wanted to get together on a local basis and chew the fat, remember the good times, and take their Airstreams out on a more frequent basis, but for a shorter period of time. The Club Members wanted the club to be exclusive for Airstream Owners only.

Let’s go back to Caravans. The Caravans could never have gone ten miles with out a sub-structure and delegation of duties. Wally Byam was a master of organization.

The Club core was the volunteers; the go-to-people that assisted in making the Caravans go. This spirit, this dedication, this form of personal involvement was the core of the WBCCI in 1955.

Check out the Jack Rabbits; thank them for your club today. They “hounded” Wally to form a club.

http://sierranevadaairstreams.org/memories/history/peewee/early-wbcci/jack-rabbits.html

My Mother, Helen Byam Schwamborn, was given the task, by Wally, to start a headquarters to be the home of the Club, and the action center for Caravans. Three major Caravans came from the Headquarters in the early days. (Europe 1956, Africa 1959, Around-the-World 1963.)

Because of the dedication of the members and the organizational and interpersonal skills of Helen, the Club grew, and grew, and grew…what a growth!

Yes, Airstream funded the Headquarters. Yes, it was a marketing tool. However both entities this symbiotic relationship endorsed the purpose, ‘TO HAVE FUN.”

My pride swells every time I pass an Airstream on the highway, or see one on TV.

Remember, have fun, that’s what this is all about.

That’s all Wally wanted for you, and that is all my Mother wanted for you.

“TO HAVE FUN!”

See you on the road.

Dale “Pee Wee” Schwamborn

Footnote:

I was a family member before there was Caravan.

I traveled on the !st Caravan.

I went on a total of five Caravans. (1951 Mexico, Central America; 1955 Eastern Canada, 1956 Europe, 1957 Eastern Canada, and 1959 Africa, the Holy Land, and Europe)

I scouted two Cavavans 1959 Africa, and 1961 Eastern Canadian Caravan.

I worked at the California Airstream Plant from 1964 to 1969.

I have been to five International Rally’s.

I am former owner of Wally’s gold trailer.

I am a Charter Member of the WBCCI.

This is being told to you not that I am extraordinary, I’m just a fortunate person to have been part of this history.

When I say “TO HAVE FUN”, I mean it and I know that’s what it is all about.

This section is to give the reader an understanding of why the Club was founded and the meaning of how to have fun. I believe if you have side comments, issues and problems , address your feelings in the other blogs. These comments are meant as a history feeling.

Thanks,

Pee Wee
Old 08-27-2008, 09:52 PM   #35
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Speaking of fun. Jan and I are looking forward to seeing you again this weekend in Williams.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 11:23 PM   #36
Van
4 Rivet Member

1977 23' Safari
Hillsboro , Oregon
Quote:
This section is to give the reader an understanding of why the Club was founded and the meaning of how to have fun. I believe if you have side comments, issues and problems , address your feelings in the other blogs. These comments are meant as a history feeling.

Thanks,

Pee Wee

It is an open forum. Any thread started is open to comments from others that the OP may not like or approve of. As long as those replies are with in the TOS you just have to deal with it.
former '77 23' Safari owner
former 25' Fun Finder X-250BHS SOB owner
current 26' Komfort Trailblazer 262BSLE SOB owner
Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 02:49 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Quote:

Thanks,

Pee Wee
Thanks for sharing Pee Wee. It IS appreciated.

Barry
Old 08-29-2008, 07:25 AM   #38
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Speaking freely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van View Post
It is an open forum. Any thread started is open to comments from others that the OP may not like or approve of. As long as those replies are with in the TOS you just have to deal with it.
That's is exactly why I posted my feelings and comments. I have the privilege, as you do, to do the same. I also obsrve courtesy. When appropriate I start a new thread.

I am glad that you brought this up, because is what the forums are for.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:53 AM   #39
4 Rivet Member

1997 34' Limited
Joliet , Illinois
Thank you, Pee Wee, for this insight; my husband and I bought our '94 Excella last August to do just that...to have fun! Now we're overwhelmed with the choices of destinations available this summer!!
Lucy815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 10:40 AM   #40
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
A Timely Read

Least we forget!

No Airstream, No Club, No Airforums, No Fun.

The basics are simple and should not be forgotten.

Pee Wee