Old 12-06-2007, 05:54 PM   #29
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
so what is the new club going to be called?

Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 09:59 PM   #30
Rivet Master

It's what you make it.

I think some of us forget, if you are a member, you are the club! I sometimes see WBCCI members talking bad about the WBCCI, you got to remember in the end, your are talking about yourself! You are the club! Do I see somethings that I'd like to see different, sure! Are there things I'd change if I could, I did! If you're not having fun, it's your own fault. I've been to rallies hosted by another unit other than the WDCU, did I have fun, you bet! Why? I have fun no matter were or who I'm with. Don't sit back and wait for someone to make your fun for you, make it yourself.

As for another club, could I see it happening, YES!! I've said to more than one person, "If you could get 10 "core" units to leave the WBCCI and form another club it "could" work. These "core" units would have to be those who have a name out there for having a goodtime, WDCU, NEU, FCU, etc.... From there, a lot of time, money and effort would have to be put into it(which I'm not sure people are willing to do). Backing from Airstream ($$) would be nice, but then you're tied to "The MAN" which many would not want. How many of the people on this list would be willing to step-up and give their time and money to start a new club? My guess, not enough.

I say, if you "really" want a great "Airstream" club, everyone on the forums rush out and join a local WBCCI unit today, start having rallies the way "you" want to have them and let the "oldtimers" join you, instead of you joining them!

If you do that, you'll get what you want, they get what they need and the WBCCI is once again the great club it once was.

Old 12-06-2007, 10:23 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Beautiful , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideair

I say, if you "really" want a great "Airstream" club, everyone on the forums rush out and join a local WBCCI unit today, start having rallies the way "you" want to have them and let the "oldtimers" join you, instead of you joining them!

If you do that, you'll get what you want, they get what they need and the WBCCI is once again the great club it once was.
This is what the NEU did. The long time members felt a bit put out at first but then embraced the change when they realized everyone (young and old) was having fun at our rallies!

I love being part of the NEU. We are having so much fun! Our activities have increased to multi rallies a month and three unit caravans in 2008! And as much as I'd like to *not* be involved in headquarters politics I consider myself a positive change agent for the WBCCI. Hopefully the folks in power are hearing my voice: Less rules, more focus on younger members, shorter national caravans, more fun, fellowship and adventure for ALL.

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 11:39 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
The NEU sounds great. Four Corners is doing a great job, too.

I'd like to repeat a pitch I made some months ago. The EAA (airplane nuts, but aluminauts like us) has a central "place"--Oshkosh. You'd think such an out of the way place would discourage attendance at their annual festivities, but, no, people flock there. It's because they have facilities and training and accomodations.

As a Vintage guy, I want us to have a "place" with a hangar and some for-parts shells and the annual polishing-welding-riveting-wiring training where the old heads can help mentor the newbies. Surely there is an old airport with crappy looking but structurally sound hangars and plenty of boondock parking.

If we all knew that that was the place and it was going to happen there every year, people could plan ahead, start to know the area, make side trips. There are lot of interesting rural areas in this country--the Badlands, Four Corners, Jackson Hole, Lewis and Clark trail--places that might have the deal real estate as well as those side trips for photographers or history buffs, etc.

Maybe some unit could start up something locally that would grow into a national thing. I've been shipping out free parts all over--I'd much rather take a pile of parts to a central location.

Zep
Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 08:54 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Balloondocking is contagious ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe3957
I am a newbie, having purchased a 1967 Overlander in pretty decent shape within the last month. ... Fred and others(I got to work on names) at the Balloon park welcomed me as if I was already a member, showing me his trailer and inviting me back for Margaritas. They were "boondocking" right where the action was. ... I am 50, not prone to "join up" but love the knowledge and camaraderie that I saw in the 4CU unit. Seems like a whole lot of that personality needs to "rub off" on the larger group.
Hi Joe: Congratulations on finally getting your Airstream! I'm glad you found a trailer to baby, ponder, fret over, improve and enjoy ... and that you found our 4CU fun and camaradeire contagious. I'm also a member of the Denver CO Unit which had many members at the Fair Grounds, but I choose the fresher idea of Balloondocking with the 4CU right in the heart of the action. Loved it! I look forward to seeing you again and meeting your new treasure "down the road". Welcome to the wonderful world of Aluminitis.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 05:25 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
When you assume...

You know the old adage when you assume...

It seems the main mantra of WBCCI supporters is

1. you get out of it what you put into it
2. you can have fun where ever you go/just have fun
3. your dues facilitate meeting cool Airstreamers
4. your unit is great and join you regardless of how far that might be
5. or find 9 other Airstreamers and make your own club

1. you have no idea what people may or may not have put into their efforts or if their mileage varied from yours
2. who here said they didn't or can't have fun?
3. being a guest at a WBCCI event without paying dues (day passes being actually less for non-members at the last International) or going to forums rallies facilitates meeting cool Airstreamers
4.one could join many units but if they are not located within reasonable distance the opportunities are limited to attend, (but hey...never get tired of hearing the same ones extoll their own virtues)
5. this one is the most difficult for me to understand... I should recruit 9 other people to join a club that hasn't a fitting extension for my own inclination and then we should all forward grand sums of money to the IBT so we can meet together and just have fun on our own. ?????????? Isn't that like a forums rally? Or perhaps there actually lurks a little bit of pomp and ceremony deep deep down within the hearts of all. Adulation comes at a price ($$$), it would seem.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 08:00 AM   #35
4 Rivet Member

1976 24' Argosy 24
Milford , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari57
I'm one of those who had WBCCI in mind when I started looking for the "right" Airstream in '77. All I had was a bunch of memories of a field full of shiny aluminum and people having a lot of fun together.

I'm not a "joiner" and never have been. I'm not into the big in-your-face kind of things and thou shalt's. I like to have fun. When ever and where ever, just lets have fun and forget the crap. So, when the 4CU evolved and I saw that here was a group who were effecting change without damaging the overall umbrella I figured that was who I wanted to associate with.

It has nothing to do with the dreaded "headquarters". I don't care - for the price of one nice dinner out a year I have increased my opportunity to join people who are out doing what this is all about - using their Airstreams and having fun. I know there are many other units in WBCCI land who are doing similar things as 4CU - it's simple - when people see a whole bunch of other people having fun they will want to participate. I don't want to be left out of an opportunity to spend quality time with a bunch of like minded people just because I disagree with some one, some where, who isn't at the campground with me/us. I also can't create or support changes within the WBCCI if I'm not a member and thus can't vote in the people who want the club to evolve in the direction I also want.

What should be happening is all those who are unhappy should rejoin, and join as a member of one of the progressive units so you have a vote versus becoming a MAL. Vote in the officers you know will drive change - like giving MAL's a vote for one. Yeah, it will take time, but you'll be out camping and having fun with your local unit which is what this is all about.

There are lots of members in their seventies and I suspect eighties. They want the same thing we do - to have fun and go camping. Don't ignore them, adopt them. Their support of Airstream is the reason the firm still exists so we can buy today. The pioneers to us. They have great stories to tell around a campfire, and their physical age is not commensurate with their mental age - many of them are as PO'd about how their bodies are letting them down just when they needed it as we are in our fifties when compared to our 20 year old selves.

Or that's my take on things.....

Barry
That's it in a nutshell Barry. The internet is a wonderfull place, but, ideas and opinions seem to take on a life of their own. Read the same negative over and over and it becomes true in some sense. Change of WBCCI must come from within. Join and participate. Our unit (068) is flat out wonderfull. I joined when i was in my 30's. Maybe I'm just lucky to have found a great group of people I don't know. Our unit is attracting younger members, and all of them are getting involved and suggesting changes that they want. No Problem. So, you can sit in front of this screen and say whatever you want or you can get out and do something! Thank You.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:57 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
I have helped organize two rallies, one for Metro Detroit and the other for a woman's rally in Ohio. I traveled from Michigan to Salem Oregon to be present for the no name change campaign and vote, actively devoting many hours and months to Save Wally. I went last January to the IBT rally in Georgia and sat through every hour and every day of meetings taking notes, photos, recordings and uploading the proceedings. I suggested the simulcast and the band night and worked with the liason chairwoman as she worked with the International President to explore their implimentation. I have gone to WBCCI unit and state rallies. Lansing was my first International and my good rally experience was published as a page in the Blue Beret. I have gone to headquarters in Ohio and I have backed my interest with activity and involvement.

What these discussions invariably come to do is to not address the issues directly and to cover over what legitimate changes should be made with fanfare. There are plenty of snipers for the messenger. Much is discounted as trouble making from malcontents rather than acknowleded as valid. The code of ethics prevents self examination and disclosure. There is a strong contingient to minimize expression and undermine the character and motives of those acting their positions. But it is possible a better club will emerge from the efforts of those criticized for their public naysaying. It is my experience that efforts are not rewarded but held in contempt. It remains with the individual to establish their own thinking on the matter. Changes made within your own good unit will not affect the structure of WBCCI for many many years from the bottom up. Personally the decision for me to not follow forwith with my dues this year is to cast my vote in the best way I have access to be heard at this time. Others need not follow suit but neither should they consider that as a course of inaction or disinterest.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 09:53 AM   #37
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Carol, I really hope we get to camp together someday... I think some of us forget that this is the Airforums and not the WBCCI forums. Many of us belong to the WBCCI and make the assumption that everyone else does too.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:07 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Carol, love your photos--very warm and inviting. Was "Stars and Stripes" taken at Burning Man?

I like your comments. You made an effort (more than an effort) and weren't heard, so you get to gripe as loud as you want.

Speaking for myself, I break the membership into two camps. The first camp are older (I'm merely old, not older ), they like like badges and rules, and think everything is better the more it's organized--gotta have an activity planned for everyone every minute. The second camp is more diverse, hates rules, but likes the idea of rallys with other Airstreamers. Somehow, either the WBCCI charter or long history or who's got the spare time has resulted in group one being in charge.

I think group two is seduced into membership by the concept of rallys and the rally insurance--I have a couple of messages that said outright that's why the 4CU joined up, rather than being independent. Without this umbrella people are reluctant to take on the responsibility of organizing rallys, or so I gather. So we in group two join up but hate it. It's like the good guys and the bad guys. You need the good guys, but life is dull without the bad guys (guys being "people"). If this really is the problem, it's pretty simple to solve--two clubs and one more insurance policy.

But the reason I'm posting this morning is it's snowing and I can't do what I want to do today, so I'm studying the Blue Beret and Airstream Life. What a contrast! The former is 90% ads and rally info. This stuff changes imperceptibly issue to issue. The current issue looks so similar to any other issue I'd have to look at the date on the cover to know if it's a different issue than any other. I went through every page of the December issue and found a fair amount of useful info, but only in a reference sense. Where is the membership input? And don't say the unit reports--"we had a lunch last month and we're planning a lunch next month..." give me a break. Where are the member's inputs--some nifty upgrade or refurbishment item, boondock spot, public dump station info, or a recent sighting of and conversation with a full-timer. Airstream Life, on the other hand, is actually interesting. Some of it is a little thin, e.g., there could have been a story connected with the photo on page 27 of the Fall 07 issue, but the Last Mile (back page) made up for it. Yes, I know it's commercial, but it's got a lot of the stuff I like--it could have more, e.g., boondock spots, public dump station info, other really useful stuff.

If I could have the forums, an independent 4CU and VAC, and Airstream Life, I'd have everything I want. That's a model the WBCCI ought to think about. Enough said.

Ummm, there's one more thing the WBCCI ought to consider--rally activities. I've attended three major school reunions. The first two were activity-filled. For the most recent one the class said enough. We rented a hotel, ordered some nibbles and a bar, and ... that's it. Oh, there was a memorial service. What a blast. Spent the whole time enjoying classmates from 35 years ago. We weren't distracted by "gotta do this" and "gotta do that." Unless the rally sponsors real learning experiences--how to weld, how to buck rivets, basic 12V electricity, nifty tools and where to get them--the only activity I want is Vintage Open House day. My view, obviously, is if you want to play golf, join a golf club. Or look in the yellow pages.

Now I'm going to go shovel.
Zep
Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 02:48 PM   #39
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
You should get snowed in more... that was well said.
Old 12-31-2007, 02:28 AM   #40
4 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Crestview , Florida
Hey there Zeppelinium, That's good how you sumed things up.

My favorite rally is the vintage rally held each April at our local unit. I like open houses and classes on polishing, riveting and all. I need to rewire my trailer and with the lack of tech manuals, it'd be good to have a decent knowledge of how everything works and is tied together.

I don't subscribe to Airstream Life but it sounds like what I'm interested in. I like reading about other's restoration projects, articles I can learn from and all. Sounds like what Field and Stream is for the hunters and fishermen. I think the Blue Beret is extremely boring. I think with Airstream Life being commercial that is why it's more interesting, their livlyhood is on the line. I don't think many would actually pay to subscripe to the Blue Beret if it waasn't included with their membership. Maybe the club should sub it out to Airstream Life and make that the official magazine. I also belong to the NRA and while it's official magazines have advertising and articles devoted to club news and regional udates, it also has articles that, for the most part, are in the interests of the membership. Why doesn't the Blue Beret have that?

What I enjpy most about our WBCCI membership is that our local unit owns its own campground and our monthly rallies are held there, which gives us a eason to get out and use our Airstream. The members are laid back and not ate up with ceremony.

I used to live in northern Maine so I can feel your pain of having to go out and shovel, that's one outdoor activity I don't miss! Anymore I'd have to do it the supper-dupper easy way and have a blade on the front of a 4X4 truck!