Old 12-06-2007, 03:08 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes

To respectfuly disagree with Craftsman's contention, WBCCI is not like your elderly relative with Alzheimer's. Sooner or later all of us are mortal, but every year WBCCI picks up new members, most of whom would like to see changes.
Nuvi[/quote]

I wonder just how many of those new members renew after the first year or so. At 57 we were the youngest members of our chapter and although the people were exceptionally nice I felt like I was visiting with people from an assisted living group. They were from a different generation and the only thing we had in common was the Airstream, and that's not enough.There may be other chapters with younger and more dynamic members but I haven't seen them. There's been talk about change in the WBCCI since I've been on this forum and I would guess long before. At the pace it seems to be changing , I'll be dead before it becomes a club that would appeal to me.I don't mean that to be offensive but there just doesn't seem to be anything there but history. Most young people buying Airstreams today don't have the free time that all of the the older retired officers of the club have. They have kids and bills and responsibilities that keep them busy constantly . What does the club offer these new members? Trips and caravans in the middle of the week or school year?Ice cream socials? (Sounds like something people did in the 1800's.) Red numbers on your Airstream? The terrible Blue Beret publication they put out?I don't get it. Someone please tell me what is the appeal to joining the WBCCI? Just what are they offering for your dues, time and commitment?

Old 12-06-2007, 03:20 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Beautiful , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftsman
Someone please tell me what is the appeal to joining the WBCCI? Just what are they offering for your dues, time and commitment?
Hi craftsman,

I belong to the WBCCI so that I can belong to the New England Unit.

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 03:23 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
I belong to the WBCCI so that I can belong to the New England Unit.__________________
Oh....... must be a good unit.I'm sure they're out there.
Old 12-06-2007, 03:25 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Beautiful , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftsman
I belong to the WBCCI so that I can belong to the New England Unit.__________________
Oh....... must be a good unit.I'm sure they're out there.
Yes, there are. You may want to check out the WDCU. They are local to you and they are all about having fun.

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 03:44 PM   #19
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium
Yowsir, yowsir, the Doctor has spoken! I think I can find the WBCCI DNR toe tag around here somewhere....
is this the one?

cheers
2air'

and go ahead and 'open, copy, paste' my image.... it could would make a wonderful holiday card!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	toetag2.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	140.0 KB
ID:	50444  

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 03:56 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Yes! But I thought it was a guy flying a pirate flag...
Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 04:00 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
I'm one of those who had WBCCI in mind when I started looking for the "right" Airstream in '77. All I had was a bunch of memories of a field full of shiny aluminum and people having a lot of fun together.

I'm not a "joiner" and never have been. I'm not into the big in-your-face kind of things and thou shalt's. I like to have fun. When ever and where ever, just lets have fun and forget the crap. So, when the 4CU evolved and I saw that here was a group who were effecting change without damaging the overall umbrella I figured that was who I wanted to associate with.

It has nothing to do with the dreaded "headquarters". I don't care - for the price of one nice dinner out a year I have increased my opportunity to join people who are out doing what this is all about - using their Airstreams and having fun. I know there are many other units in WBCCI land who are doing similar things as 4CU - it's simple - when people see a whole bunch of other people having fun they will want to participate. I don't want to be left out of an opportunity to spend quality time with a bunch of like minded people just because I disagree with some one, some where, who isn't at the campground with me/us. I also can't create or support changes within the WBCCI if I'm not a member and thus can't vote in the people who want the club to evolve in the direction I also want.

What should be happening is all those who are unhappy should rejoin, and join as a member of one of the progressive units so you have a vote versus becoming a MAL. Vote in the officers you know will drive change - like giving MAL's a vote for one. Yeah, it will take time, but you'll be out camping and having fun with your local unit which is what this is all about.

There are lots of members in their seventies and I suspect eighties. They want the same thing we do - to have fun and go camping. Don't ignore them, adopt them. Their support of Airstream is the reason the firm still exists so we can buy today. The pioneers to us. They have great stories to tell around a campfire, and their physical age is not commensurate with their mental age - many of them are as PO'd about how their bodies are letting them down just when they needed it as we are in our fifties when compared to our 20 year old selves.

Or that's my take on things.....

Barry
Old 12-06-2007, 04:05 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari57
I'm one of those who had WBCCI in mind when I started looking for the "right" Airstream in '77. All I had was a bunch of memories of a field full of shiny aluminum and people having a lot of fun together.

I'm not a "joiner" and never have been. I'm not into the big in-your-face kind of things and thou shalt's. I like to have fun. When ever and where ever, just lets have fun and forget the crap. So, when the 4CU evolved and I saw that here was a group who were effecting change without damaging the overall umbrella I figured that was who I wanted to associate with.

It has nothing to do with the dreaded "headquarters". I don't care - for the price of one nice dinner out a year I have increased my opportunity to join people who are out doing what this is all about - using their Airstreams and having fun. I know there are many other units in WBCCI land who are doing similar things as 4CU - it's simple - when people see a whole bunch of other people having fun they will want to participate. I don't want to be left out of an opportunity to spend quality time with a bunch of like minded people just because I disagree with some one, some where, who isn't at the campground with me/us. I also can't create or support changes within the WBCCI if I'm not a member and thus can't vote in the people who want the club to evolve in the direction I also want.

What should be happening is all those who are unhappy should rejoin, and join as a member of one of the progressive units so you have a vote versus becoming a MAL. Vote in the officers you know will drive change - like giving MAL's a vote for one. Yeah, it will take time, but you'll be out camping and having fun with your local unit which is what this is all about.

There are lots of members in their seventies and I suspect eighties. They want the same thing we do - to have fun and go camping. Don't ignore them, adopt them. Their support of Airstream is the reason the firm still exists so we can buy today. The pioneers to us. They have great stories to tell around a campfire, and their physical age is not commensurate with their mental age - many of them are as PO'd about how their bodies are letting them down just when they needed it as we are in our fifties when compared to our 20 year old selves.

Barry
Barry,

You have it right, I hope that you are able to attend the International in Bozeman and join us in the VAC parade and parking. We do have a great time.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 04:13 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari57

Barry

Very well put, Thank You
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 04:30 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
You said cut and paste - Thank You.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	feet.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	50447  
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 04:31 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Evergreen , Colorado
I don't understand why we would want to take the time,money, and effert to start a new club when we already have one (WBCCI). The WBCCI was created by fine people for the right reasons at the right time. Today,many years later we have,it seems, many of our members and non members who are not happy with the WBCCI. Instead of continuing to complain why not make an effert, and yes, this is the right time to make a differance and make the WBCCI the club we know it should and can be. Just a thought?
Old 12-06-2007, 04:54 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
albuquerque , New Mexico
Question A newbies thoughts

I am a newbie, having purchased a 1967 Overlander in pretty decent shape within the last month. I monitored this site, VAC, and ebay for a few months before finding my trailer. A coworker directed me to 4CU and I do plan to join that unit I guess, although it does seem ridiculous to pay the WBCCI fees just to "be part". Are their by laws on the WBCCI forums? What does it take to replace leadership? Do the "oldtimers" vote in dis proportionate numbers to those that are younger and want to have fun? I visited the 4CU at the Balloon Fiesta, and seemed like nice folks. Because Oasis RV had a parts trailer and I was still looking for a trailer at that time, I drove across town where some of the "oldtimers" were staying at the Fair Grounds. This was my only observation of either group. Fred and others(I got to work on names) at the Balloon park welcomed me as if I was already a member, showing me his trailer and inviting me back for Margaritas. They were "boondocking" right where the action was. The WBCCI 10 miles across town, hooked up to power at the fairground parking lot, looked like the youngest in the group was 70. The guys at Oasis were friendly enough but I just didn't get any sort of welcome from the "club" I am 50, not prone to "join up" but love the knowledge and camaraderie that I saw in the 4CU unit. Seems like a whole lot of that personality needs to "rub off" on the larger group.
Old 12-06-2007, 05:16 PM   #27
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
This is the recurring thread from hell... My grandfather always told me you get out of it what you put into it.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 05:35 PM   #28
_

. , .
this month as is the case EVERY MONTH, the majority of new wb' membership comes from unit #000...

these folks pay the most to join and are just testing the waters...

and of course this LARGEST membership segment is treated like dirt.

one of the traditional phrases used in wb' literature and by wb' bobbleheads...

is a club based on "like minded people"...

the wb' is afraid of diversity. they don't have a clue how to embrace it, so diversity is a threat.

when ONLY diversity can save the club.

about 10-15 units are thriving.

95% of the units are for luncheon and obituary bingo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy_boy
You said cut and paste - Thank You.
no problem, enjoy!

but sadly this again demonstrates that most wbcci members and units...

score z3r0 in originality, -4 in creativity, and while hatefully attacking the paying membership that are NOT 'like minded people'...

and zep is close, but the guy flyin' the pirate flag is just a decoy...

for the true enemy within.

it's a sorry state when the enthusiastic members, more and more suggest...

"i join the main club, just so i can be part of the old trailer owners or a specific (5-6) unit...."

craftsman's observations are shared by so many many more that look or join for a year or 2...

more and more the club has lost younger members OR who tried or could have helped with the transformation...

wheelinterested, jackcanavera, stef and many many others here, have dropped out....

it is just so much easier to have fun, connect and camp within the airforums structure (or lack of structure) than to try from within the tombs...

and the truth is the old trailer intra club (otic) and the 'only twinkies' caravan intraclub...

are thriving because of exclusiveness.

is the old trailer parade and "parking only" really any different from, tuxedos or flag parades?

i can certainly understand parking gensets and ac power folks in different areas or small units that drive cross country together,

but gathering outside the gate to parade in and then park away from new units is just as pompus as 'wear your hat' day or badge ribbon bloat.

the 'otic' folks DO look down on modern units/owners...
the ccc looks down on square streams/owners...
trailer owners look down on mohos...
the general membership looks down on the ibt...
the ibt looks down on everything/everybody...

and they ALL look down on mals....

mean while, we mals look DOWN into the club's grave site.

while the club could experience a rebirth, it will only happen after it is reduced to primordial goo.....

and new creatures emerge from the hat...

i just LOVE a game thread like this one!

cheers
2air'

and in all this 'blah, blah' did ne1 notice the survey from which this thread sprung has been GONE for over a week now?

that's also a good thing.

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote