Old 05-27-2014, 12:41 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Airstream not supporting WBCCI?

I just received "The Rivet". A promotional newsletter put out by the WBCCI Marketing department.
Here is a link to the latest newsletter. All About Alumapalooza - Airstream.

If this doesn't work it can be subscribed to at Press Resources, Airstream Travel Trailers | Airstream

The article in question is promoting Alumapalooza. Nothing wrong with that however there are several questionable statements.
For example:

[[B]I]Ask experienced Airstream owners, and they’ll tell you: if you attend only one Airstream event this year, make it Alumapalooza, the official annual event held at the Airstream factory in Jackson Center, Ohio.

[I]To celebrate the anniversary of the biggest, longest-running, and most famous Airstream gathering, here are the top five reasons to attend Alumapalooza![/I]

Come on guys, whatever happened to the WBCCI International as well as numerous other rallies with a long history?

Nothing against the event mentioned but the statements are certainly in error.

It would seem that Airstream and their makerting department should be aware that there is an Airstream club with a long history that deserves the support of the company

99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 12:46 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
The Airstream factory has nothing to do with the WBCCI except the club offices are there. Am I wrong? Factory support ended years ago. Kim

Old 05-27-2014, 01:08 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
The Airstream factory has nothing to do with the WBCCI except the club offices are there. Am I wrong? Factory support ended years ago. Kim
First a correction to my first post which should have said Airstream marketing dept, NOT WBCCI

True, factory financial support ended years ago, however that doesn't mean you don't acknowledge the existence of the club named for your founder.

The claim longest running airstream gathering is just plain wrong.
Even if you exclude WBCCI sponsored events there are forums gatherings that probably have been going on for 5 or more years.

Also under non WBCCI gathering would be the fifth Birthday bash and also the fifth Pocono rally.
It appears to me the media people have a writer that did not do his homework very well.

I have nothing against Alamapalooza. I have not attended but everything I have heard has been positive.

I am simply disappointed in all the inaccuracies in the RIVET article
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 01:53 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
I read that at lunchtime and wondered, too. Like you, I've never attended Alumapalooza but have nothing against it - we'd sort of like to go, but we worry about our cats if the weather turns hot.

I wonder if the Rivet article was written by an enthusiastic volunteer who somehow never heard of the WBCCI's international rally.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 03:03 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
I can just about guarantee it was written by someone whose AS experience goes back less than 5 years. Probably by one of those well intensioned under 30 college grads.. Or by someone from Airstream Life Magazine. Jim
Old 05-27-2014, 03:10 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
WBCCI offices are not "there" are they? Last I knew they were down the street in their own building.
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 03:15 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Could be, did not used to be. Thanks. Jim
Old 05-27-2014, 03:33 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB View Post

WBCCI offices are not "there" are they? Last I knew they were down the street in their own building.
You are correct. Opposite side of the street too.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:55 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Airstream does support the club by placing paid ads in the Blue Beret. They also donate prizes to be given away at Wbcci rallies. They have paid for booths in the past at WBCCI Internationals. They no longer give cash to directly pay the home office salaries.
Old 05-28-2014, 07:26 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I can not believe people are getting all up in arms over the wording in an advertisement. This is simply ad copy. Truth in advertising went out the door years ago. It was written by some PR smuck that was given minimal information and gets paid big bucks for his vivid imagination.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 06:30 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Aw chief, well said! Jim
Old 06-13-2014, 10:56 AM   #12
Silver Lamb

1969 27' Overlander
1961 16' Bambi
Bonner Springs , Kansas
Rick is correct, Airstream support has decreased for WBCCI in the last ten or so years.
I am glad that Airstream has been doing product placement in the last few years. It is helping them. I wonder if anyone would have a real argument that the Vintage Airstreams are the real sellers of Airstreams? They always have the front & center at rallies when the media show up for an article with photos.
Old 06-14-2014, 06:21 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
The Thor company gave up on continuing to sell Wally's Dream of World Wide Caravans some time ago. The number of people capable of spending that much time on the road limited their market too much. The shinny Vintage Units are eye catching and they kept them in their annual catalogs for some time, but have dropped them recently. Their marketing group is now focused on the younger married couples, with kids, that use their trailers for weekend exploration and shorter vacations.

Thor does track how many new units are sold to WBCCI members. It was only 6% the last time I saw it. That was not significant enough to warrant a lot of special effort and money. Airstream still notifies the club of every new sale and the local WBCCI chapter usually sends out a welcoming letter. Sometimes that is successful.

Historically, most new members come into the club as the result of buying a used Airstream. Their motivations, that caused them to join, are not tracked on a national level.

The shinny Vintage trailers are eye catching and the press likes to show them at WBCCI events. WBCCI has a loyal following of Vintage trailer owners and they park them together at outings, which makes an easy photo for the newspapers and TV reporters. If the press has the time, the vintage owners have interesting stories to tell. I am not sure how many new members that brings into the club.
Old 06-15-2014, 10:59 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Quite frankly, WBCCI is not what it used to be and is driving away members, me included. When I first joined in 2005, I was proud and happy to be a member. I carried new member kits with me and distributed them whenever I saw a "baldy", as well as to the local RV (AS) dealer here in Ottawa.

Then I experienced a total breakdown of the basic policy underlying the WBCCI - namely, Robert's Rules of Order. I saw a group of 3 or 4 of the unit executive push through a restrictive amendment without holding a vote - in fact, the unit president confirmed to me that the amendment would never pass a vote. I brought that up with Cindy Reed and Don Shafer. Don Shafer approved of the amendment even though he stated that he would never let a similar one come before the IBT as it could potentially destroy the club.

The amendment made to the unit's bylaws specified that members could not carry firearms in their trailers; this in response to to an alleged incident at a rally (if it was illegal, they should have called 911 and let the police handle it).

What amazed me was that Don referred to some obscure amendment to the constitution that allows an amendment to be made without a vote, but it can be challenged by requesting in writing that a vote be taken - this for a restrictive amendment or a bylaw amendment that requires a 2/3 approval by the membership, in total violation of Robert's Rules or Order which provides for protection for the minority interest.

I'm letting my membership lapse. I cannot in clear conscience pay money into an organization which violates my legal right to travel with a firearm. My purpose of having my trailer is to travel and camp with friends; I travel from eastern Canada to the south-west US every winter, and camp with various friends. Last month for the first time my wife and I attended the Escapees Escapade, where we met with a number of Airstreamers who formed the "Silver Bullets" BOF, many have never been members of the WBCCI, and others had let their memberships go.

Based on this, it is obvious that Thor is interested in selling product, not pandering to a group of has-beens.

1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote