Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-06-2015, 10:36 AM   #41

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvite-F View Post
Until fairly recently, WBCCI did give one year free membership to new Airstream buyers. The practice was discontinued because very few renewed. I would like to see the practice reinstated, myself.
That high rate of turn over speaks volumes that the club no longer is meeting the needs of the majority of new owners. That handwriting has been on the wall for a long time. Different attitudes, monetary pressures, less free time, and organizational politics all make it difficult for many organizations to thrive and grow. It will be interesting to see how WBCCI survives over the long run.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 01:04 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
It would be interesting to know how many of the purchasers who got free memberships even bothered to check out the club.

While the WBCCI has had a load of problems over a number of years movement seems to be going in the right direction . The current officer chain is encouraging in that they seem to have a grasp of the situation that is not based on how things were done post WW ll.
The electronics committee is also doing a fine job of dragging us back to the modern age

Every organization that I belong to seems to have shrinking numbers even though some are very well run.
To some degree many are not joiners and people, especially the younger ones have a very busy life style.
Five years ago I was ready to write the club off and felt like I was only hanging around so I could see the lights turned off.

I am quite a bit more optimistic today.
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 12:06 PM   #43
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Slidell , Louisiana
Send a message via ICQ to geekgrrrl Send a message via AIM to geekgrrrl Send a message via Skype™ to geekgrrrl
We (my boyfriend and I) have not joined any club yet, and are going to try and join some rallies to see where we make the best fit. We just bought a '73 AS Sovereign that we will be resto-modding.

With that said...

Every organization I have ever been involved with: Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, Car Clubs (many, many, many), Hobbie Clubs: (crochet, tattoos, firearms, computers)... has their share of bad apples that ruin the whole thing. You either have to get over it, or move on. Of course, you have to weigh the pros and cons, and maybe revisit at a later date. Maybe those bad apples are gone now? who knows.

In the case of the WBCCI, I live in Whittier, CA and there are two chapters very close, and 1 not so close. To me, looking at the chapter's websites made me think one is more active than the other.... and maybe I am wrong, and they just have no real Internet presence? (which I could help with if I joined)

I just need to go to some events as I am able, and figure it out. Just give it a chance, is all I am saying. Maybe you join for a year, go to the events you really enjoy, ignore the bad apples... Maybe take a year off, join a different chapter? If nothing else, you make some new friends. (maybe even some new bad apples! no organization is without them.....)

my .02 cents

geekgrrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 02:01 PM   #44
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
We are not joiners. That being said we are in our 2nd Airstream and just joined WBCCI a few months ago. We have been to 2 rally's in Sarasota and even that wasn't enough to make us join. They were OK. We have heard so many good things about caravans from people that have gone on them that we decided to give it a go. To go on one, to even get your name on a waiting list, you must be a WBCCI member. That was the catalyst that made us join. We wanted to try a short caravan to see if we liked it before going on one of the longer ones but the 2 short ones in March are filled and have stand-by lists. We are on the list for the southwest caravan next summer so, here goes. Whether we find that we enjoy the caravan will probably be the decision maker to continue our membership. We have been to a couple of camping trips with the local chapter and find them to be a real nice bunch and did enjoy their company and will spend more time on their outings.

That's my story and I'm stickin to it. See ya'll on the road sometime.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 02:03 PM   #45
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Actually there are more than two. South Coast Unit, Long Beach Unit, El Camino Real Unit, Greater LA Unit and San Diego Unit. All of these units have rallies in or near LA/Orange Counties.

We belong to El Camino Real and would enjoy you attending one of our rallies.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekgrrrl View Post
We (my boyfriend and I) have not joined any club yet, and are going to try and join some rallies to see where we make the best fit. We just bought a '73 AS Sovereign that we will be resto-modding.

With that said...

Every organization I have ever been involved with: Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, Car Clubs (many, many, many), Hobbie Clubs: (crochet, tattoos, firearms, computers)... has their share of bad apples that ruin the whole thing. You either have to get over it, or move on. Of course, you have to weigh the pros and cons, and maybe revisit at a later date. Maybe those bad apples are gone now? who knows.

In the case of the WBCCI, I live in Whittier, CA and there are two chapters very close, and 1 not so close. To me, looking at the chapter's websites made me think one is more active than the other.... and maybe I am wrong, and they just have no real Internet presence? (which I could help with if I joined)

I just need to go to some events as I am able, and figure it out. Just give it a chance, is all I am saying. Maybe you join for a year, go to the events you really enjoy, ignore the bad apples... Maybe take a year off, join a different chapter? If nothing else, you make some new friends. (maybe even some new bad apples! no organization is without them.....)

my .02 cents

Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 02:13 PM   #46

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada
As the late Groucho one said "I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER".

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
sheriff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 07:17 PM   #47
Jay Thompson

2009 34' Classic
Tallahassee, , Florida
Regarding getting on a caravan. Yes some of the popular National caravans take awhile to get on. That being said there are two unit caravans so far planned this spring in the southeast. One is one week by Big Bend of FL unit. Goes from St Mary's GA to Brunswick GA and lasts a week. May 17-23 The other is Tasting NC also a week. Sponsored by Piedmont of NC unit. May 31-June 6 Anyone can get on these.

There will be several shorter unit caravans planned this year. A great way to caravan

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
jaydthompson is offline   Reply With Quote