Old 01-09-2015, 01:06 PM   #43
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Slidell , Louisiana
Send a message via ICQ to geekgrrrl Send a message via AIM to geekgrrrl Send a message via Skype™ to geekgrrrl
We (my boyfriend and I) have not joined any club yet, and are going to try and join some rallies to see where we make the best fit. We just bought a '73 AS Sovereign that we will be resto-modding.

With that said...

Every organization I have ever been involved with: Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, Car Clubs (many, many, many), Hobbie Clubs: (crochet, tattoos, firearms, computers)... has their share of bad apples that ruin the whole thing. You either have to get over it, or move on. Of course, you have to weigh the pros and cons, and maybe revisit at a later date. Maybe those bad apples are gone now? who knows.

In the case of the WBCCI, I live in Whittier, CA and there are two chapters very close, and 1 not so close. To me, looking at the chapter's websites made me think one is more active than the other.... and maybe I am wrong, and they just have no real Internet presence? (which I could help with if I joined)

I just need to go to some events as I am able, and figure it out. Just give it a chance, is all I am saying. Maybe you join for a year, go to the events you really enjoy, ignore the bad apples... Maybe take a year off, join a different chapter? If nothing else, you make some new friends. (maybe even some new bad apples! no organization is without them.....)

my .02 cents

Old 01-09-2015, 03:01 PM   #44
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
We are not joiners. That being said we are in our 2nd Airstream and just joined WBCCI a few months ago. We have been to 2 rally's in Sarasota and even that wasn't enough to make us join. They were OK. We have heard so many good things about caravans from people that have gone on them that we decided to give it a go. To go on one, to even get your name on a waiting list, you must be a WBCCI member. That was the catalyst that made us join. We wanted to try a short caravan to see if we liked it before going on one of the longer ones but the 2 short ones in March are filled and have stand-by lists. We are on the list for the southwest caravan next summer so, here goes. Whether we find that we enjoy the caravan will probably be the decision maker to continue our membership. We have been to a couple of camping trips with the local chapter and find them to be a real nice bunch and did enjoy their company and will spend more time on their outings.

That's my story and I'm stickin to it. See ya'll on the road sometime.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 03:03 PM   #45
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Actually there are more than two. South Coast Unit, Long Beach Unit, El Camino Real Unit, Greater LA Unit and San Diego Unit. All of these units have rallies in or near LA/Orange Counties.

We belong to El Camino Real and would enjoy you attending one of our rallies.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekgrrrl View Post
We (my boyfriend and I) have not joined any club yet, and are going to try and join some rallies to see where we make the best fit. We just bought a '73 AS Sovereign that we will be resto-modding.

With that said...

Every organization I have ever been involved with: Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, Car Clubs (many, many, many), Hobbie Clubs: (crochet, tattoos, firearms, computers)... has their share of bad apples that ruin the whole thing. You either have to get over it, or move on. Of course, you have to weigh the pros and cons, and maybe revisit at a later date. Maybe those bad apples are gone now? who knows.

In the case of the WBCCI, I live in Whittier, CA and there are two chapters very close, and 1 not so close. To me, looking at the chapter's websites made me think one is more active than the other.... and maybe I am wrong, and they just have no real Internet presence? (which I could help with if I joined)

I just need to go to some events as I am able, and figure it out. Just give it a chance, is all I am saying. Maybe you join for a year, go to the events you really enjoy, ignore the bad apples... Maybe take a year off, join a different chapter? If nothing else, you make some new friends. (maybe even some new bad apples! no organization is without them.....)

my .02 cents

Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 03:13 PM   #46

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Sparks , Nevada
As the late Groucho one said "I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER".

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 01-11-2015, 08:17 PM   #47
Jay Thompson

2009 34' Classic
Tallahassee, , Florida
Regarding getting on a caravan. Yes some of the popular National caravans take awhile to get on. That being said there are two unit caravans so far planned this spring in the southeast. One is one week by Big Bend of FL unit. Goes from St Mary's GA to Brunswick GA and lasts a week. May 17-23 The other is Tasting NC also a week. Sponsored by Piedmont of NC unit. May 31-June 6 Anyone can get on these.

There will be several shorter unit caravans planned this year. A great way to caravan

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums