Old 06-15-2014, 03:58 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari SS SE
1969 27' Overlander
Martinez , Georgia
I hope there is more to your exit than the act of a few. There are many units in the club and they can be quite different in approach to Fun, Friendship, and Adventure. I would also add that if I were to chose to carry or keep a firearm in my Airstream, it is my business. No reason to share details that are personal.

Try another unit.

mbmbstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 08:50 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Matt, I actually joined the AZ unit this past year when all this happened, but I could never be there for the main spring & fall events. The real issue is that WBCCI approved the change and the lack of due process - I have all the supporting emails to back this up. I've lost the taste and desire of WBCCI membership, especially when both the Escapees and Good Sam both provide the same social benefits and then some.

When this issue first came to light, I was at the unit rally, and I was quietly discussing the lack of due process with one of the proponents. A "lady" sitting next to me told me that I was a "right wing red neck" and they preferred that I left the unit.

I am also been a member of the Escapees and I definitely enjoy their "Fun, Friendship, and Adventure". In fact, we spend quite a bit of time boondocking with the Escapees in Quartzsite and Lake Havasu City.

1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:21 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkmagikca View Post

I am also been a member of the Escapees and I definitely enjoy their "Fun, Friendship, and Adventure". In fact, we spend quite a bit of time boondocking with the Escapees in Quartzsite and Lake Havasu City.
I find it interesting that a unit would even try to legislate what you could carry in your trailer.
That being said, Matt's suggestion to try a different unit is a sound one. I have noticed for example the Southeastern Camping unit is supportive and participates in activities outside of the WBCCI like the R and B events and Airforums events and always has something going on..
There are also political changes happening within the Parent organization that should make things better. It is slow but it is definitely happening.

That being said, I am also a Good Sam life member and an Escapees member. We have attended several Escapees rallies. We are not members of the Silver Bullet BOF (at this time) but we do belong to the Boondockers BOF and hope to participate with them more in FL this winter.
I think there is hope for the WBCCI. A few years ago I was not so sure. None the less we are participating in more of the available activities outside of the WBCCI and fewer club events.
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 02:21 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
North central , Florida
Every time a problem arises it seems to the same names in the club at the center of it. Maybe they should go, not the rank and file. I would still be a member if I could. Jim
Old 06-16-2014, 02:57 PM   #19
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickDavis View Post
I think there is hope for the WBCCI. A few years ago I was not so sure. None the less we are participating in more of the available activities outside of the WBCCI and fewer club events.

I agree with this but believe that change for the WBCCI is coming from the bottom up rather than the other way around. Sadly, this means some rancor and the loss of some members entirely. Units that are evolving to meet current needs of members are garnering and retaining new members. If your unit doesn't meet your needs and you are unable or unwilling to affect change, find another unit but don't bail entirely. The concept is good, it's the implementation that needs occasional tweaking.

Airstream does seem to support the WBCCI in many ways - advertising, etc and dealers certainly do and it's very appreciated. Perhaps that's enough. Would you really want corporate influence driving your clubs direction?

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 05:33 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
I grew up in MA where Tip O'Neill famously said, "All politics is local."

Seems that way to me (an admitted sophomore at this game). My dealer recommended I join and I signed up for a unit that doesn't have a lot of rallies and didn't seem to be a good fit for me. In one joint rally that group held with the New England Unit, I realized how fun this could actually be.

Honestly - I have no interest at the national level - though I did stop in to headquarters when we went to the mothership earlier this year. Locally, the NEU group feels like a good fit and that would be my hope for anyone joining any group. Since groups are made up of people, you can be sure each group is dysfunctional at some level - you just have to find one that matches your dysfunctionality :-)
Old 06-16-2014, 09:19 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
1977 23' Safari
1986 34' Limited
Idaho Falls , Idaho
Wow. A red neck, huh? And you are not welcome in her unit? Who made HER Queen for a day?? My reaction, admittedly contrary, to that kind of comment is to definitely be in that unit forever, and forever in that person's line-of-sight. Not being nasty, just being there, smiling and having a good time.

And especially in regard to a Constitutional right. No one can tell an American (on US soil) what they can't have in their home, which is how a travel trailer is viewed legally. I would make a point of being present at as many activities as possible. IMHO.

Vivian
Too many vintage A/Ss...
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 06:42 AM   #22
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
North central , Florida
Land shark, interesting concept, might work. My experience in motorcycle clubs is that that might be productive as long as the majority of in the club agrees wit you and not her. The people who are just a box of rocks and either do not know or do not care about what is happening are the ones who usually decide. Works that way in politics in general at all levels. Jim
Old 06-17-2014, 09:48 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
This is an interesting thread. Almost all of the responses, with a couple of exceptions, are coming from owners with Airstreams that are 20 to 30 years old. These are people that have a vested interest in the club. By the same token, it's doubtful that these same people will plunk down a medium to high five figure price for a new AS from Thor. I don't subscribe to the theory that people seeing older Airstreams are motivated to buy a new one.
Old 06-17-2014, 10:20 AM   #24
BikerBill

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Poconos of Pa , Pennsylvania
And as a relatively new owner of an Airstream, albeit an Interstate RV, I've looked at the various local and national Wally rallies and nothing seems to point to "why I should want to join" with an RV. There is some slight movement afoot to try to start an Interstate Club but I have my doubts of its success due to the spread-out-across the country we all are.
Old 06-17-2014, 02:57 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark View Post
And especially in regard to a Constitutional right. No one can tell an American (on US soil) what they can't have in their home, which is how a travel trailer is viewed legally. I would make a point of being present at as many activities as possible. IMHO.

Vivian
The unit involved in this issue is the Ontario Canada unit. WBCCI is taking the approach that it is a Canadian issue only Ė but that is not quite true. I had met the president of the Alberta-Saskatchewan unit and he was appalled at this change. What WBCCI fails to see is that this could result in the balkanization of the WBCCI, where units could modify their bylaws to the extent that uniformity for all members is lost.

What is worse is that the changes were made with a total disregard for basic rules of how an organization is run. The WBCCI constitution says that Robertís Rules of Order prevail, with minor exceptions. Robertís Rules of Order ensures that there is transparency and fairness, and that *any* restrictive amendment or bylaw amendment needs to have a 2/3rds majority of the members to approve it. In addition, any changes need the final approval of WBCCI headquarters.

In this case, 4 or 5 executive members decided to make the change; it was never submitted to a vote, but sent for approval to headquarters, where Don Shafer approved it with the full knowledge of what had taken place and that there had not been any vote, as I had written to him and Cindy Reed. In his email to me and Cindy, Don stated that he would vociferously oppose an issue of this type being on the IBT agenda, as it would be very divisive, yet he allowed this to slide through.

As an addendum, the then president of the unit told me in a phone conversation that there were 10 members ready to walk if the change did not go through. Several months later I spoke with 2 persons who had been on the executive and both told me that this was not true.

As I said earlier, as a result of all this I cannot in clear conscience pay funds into an organization that allows these types of antics to take place. I have lost the desire to be a member f the WBCCI, particularly where the social aspects of RVíing are filled so capably by the Escapees and Good Sam clubs.

1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 03:05 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
As usual a simple thread on the history of Airstream gatherings morphs into a general bash of why people do not belong to WBCCI. Maybe I do not blame Airstream for inaccurate reporting or for supporting other events also. Of course I still like WBCCI. I pay more money into the federal government with less voice in how things are done, so I guess I am a little used to that. WBCCI is small politics and our local unit is pretty nice. Headed out in the am for a 2 month caravan and a month long trip back. Life is still good. If you just gotta tell us why you are not a member and what is wrong with people who are go ahead. I can deal with that too. But I really do not think we deserve all the bashing.
And I am guilty of not really being in the market for a new Airstream. JC did get a good chunk of money from their repairs to my old trailers.
Old 06-18-2014, 10:21 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
1977 23' Safari
1986 34' Limited
Idaho Falls , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis4x4 View Post
This is an interesting thread. Almost all of the responses, with a couple of exceptions, are coming from owners with Airstreams that are 20 to 30 years old. These are people that have a vested interest in the club. By the same token, it's doubtful that these same people will plunk down a medium to high five figure price for a new AS from Thor. I don't subscribe to the theory that people seeing older Airstreams are motivated to buy a new one.
I'm curious why, as vintage owners, we are perceived as having a vested interest in WBCCI? I don't see the connection, and my husband and I are members of WBCCI ONLY in order to be members of the Vintage Club. The Vintage Club has more fun and more activities at its gatherings than WBCCI-only people, as evidenced by the vintage club members who own much newer, non-vintage A/Ss.

We own vintage trailers, not because we can't/won't plunk down five figures for a new trailer, but because we genuinely prefer the wood, design, and workmanship of these older units, and their history. We live in an old farmhouse and have several vintage autos for the same reasons.

As to people who see vintage trailers being motivated to buy new ones, I think that most non-Airstreamers viewing A/Ss can't tell an old from a new one, but what they see is caravans, rallies: people having fun in an iconic, beautiful, graceful unit. A/Ss are instantly recognizable and set apart from their SOB kin, so I think that the more A/Ss seen on the road, parked at rallies or RV parks, etc, the more they advertise for A/S Corporate, whether old or new. And it would be appropriate, IMHO, for A/S Corp to acknowledge that by supporting WBCCI more fully as they used to do.

Vivian
Too many vintage A/Ss...
Old 06-18-2014, 10:39 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
1977 23' Safari
1986 34' Limited
Idaho Falls , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkmagikca View Post

As I said earlier, as a result of all this I cannot in clear conscience pay funds into an organization that allows these types of antics to take place. I have lost the desire to be a member f the WBCCI, particularly where the social aspects of RVíing are filled so capably by the Escapees and Good Sam clubs.
This would be funny if not for being so sad; he is absolutely correct--and don't we all wish politics at all levels could be so simple? If you don't like a new law, or lack of transparency, just don't pay your taxes, er, dues, and refuse to play with the others! I like it....

Vivian

Too many vintage A/Ss...