Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2007, 12:42 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited
Somewhere in Western , North Carolina
I also agree with the poster that recommended we form a "party" and have a qualified representative for all the elective office positions and run them all from the floor.

But the biggest hurdle I believe is getting the information to us minions in each of units bypassing the current leaders, whether they're at the IBT, Regional or those Unit Leaders that don't think change is necessary.

Air# 16888 | 2000 34' Limited | 2008 Ford F250
dpandorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 02:47 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Before we assume that the current board members will refuse to print resumes and candidate information for non-IBT-endorsed regular members running for office at Bozeman, why don't you do a very public (WBCCI forum, this forum, newsletter campaigns mailed to all units and regions, whereever possible to share the information) petition to the board to print such information in the appropriate BB's prior to the Bozeman rally? Have your request complete, beautifully written, perfectly edited, subscribing to the format of the IBT candidates, yada, yada (!) so that it cannot be run down, ignored, and refused without a telling, nasty smear on the IBT face. Take the higher road on this, appealing publicly to the IBT in the broad interest of the club to welcome and show support for all WBCCI members who are prepared to actively participate in the leadership of the club. And thanking them in advance for their acceptance of the vote that follows. Will you need some funds for mailing? Just ask. Remember the ball field in Iowa? ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 06:37 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
1m1v

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Emerick
Hey all,
In the WI Unit we had the ability to vote on the MOHO issue by mail. If you wanted a voice you had it and did not have to attend the rally. I can see this continuing in the future for other items of importance. So to those of you that are MAL, come join us, I will say that our dues are not as cheap as the DC Unit but we have a great time with the money!
Ed
I will second Ed's suggestion for any MALs (or members dissatisfied with their present units) to join the Wisconsin Unit, especially if they live in the midwest and can make it to the Wisconsin Unit's great rallies.

The Wisconsin results on the SOB MoHo issue also illustrate that 1M1V is not a panacea to the WBCCI's problems. The vote split 50-50, probably because mail voting brought in votes from inactive members whose only source of information was the Blue Beret, which was shouting the party line for two or three issues.

Bottom line is that if "reform party" candidates are going to challenge the nominating committee's choices for International offices, the reform party is going to have to do some serious politicking. This includes, among other things, (a) spending the money on postage to snail mail its information to every WBCCI member, and (b) have local folks inside units talking up its ideas before the units vote (however they vote).

As for me, I don't have either the time or inclination to run for International office--but I'm willing to contribute money for (a) and time for (b).

Cheers,
Nuvi
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 10:12 AM   #24
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Don't Forget the WBCCI is "TO HAVE FUN"

Why was the WBCCI established?

Three very simple words, ‘TO HAVE FUN.”

Airstream like any other manufacturing company was created to make a product. For the owner and entrepreneur, Wally Byam to fulfill his goals in life and to make a living.

The first Caravan in 1951 was conceived to assist Airstream owners, and others (the first few Caravans were open to all manufactured RV’s), to travel as an American Community. Airstream’s reward was publicity to sell Airstreams.

The Club was a natural occurrence. This American Community of Airstream owners wanted to get together on a local basis and chew the fat, remember the good times, and take their Airstreams out on a more frequent basis, but for a shorter period of time. The Club Members wanted the club to be exclusive for Airstream Owners only.

Let’s go back to Caravans. The Caravans could never have gone ten miles with out a sub-structure and delegation of duties. Wally Byam was a master of organization.

The Club core was the volunteers; the go-to-people that assisted in making the Caravans go. This spirit, this dedication, this form of personal involvement was the core of the WBCCI in 1955.

Check out the Jack Rabbits; thank them for your club today. They “hounded” Wally to form a club.

http://sierranevadaairstreams.org/memories/history/peewee/early-wbcci/jack-rabbits.html

My Mother, Helen Byam Schwamborn, was given the task, by Wally, to start a headquarters to be the home of the Club, and the action center for Caravans. Three major Caravans came from the Headquarters in the early days. (Europe 1956, Africa 1959, Around-the-World 1963.)

Because of the dedication of the members and the organizational and interpersonal skills of Helen, the Club grew, and grew, and grew…what a growth!

Yes, Airstream funded the Headquarters. Yes, it was a marketing tool. However both entities this symbiotic relationship endorsed the purpose, ‘TO HAVE FUN.”

My pride swells every time I pass an Airstream on the highway, or see one on TV.

Remember, have fun, that’s what this is all about.

That’s all Wally wanted for you, and that is all my Mother wanted for you.

“TO HAVE FUN!”

See you on the road.

Dale “Pee Wee” Schwamborn

Footnote:

I was a family member before there was Caravan.

I traveled on the !st Caravan.

I went on a total of five Caravans. (1951 Mexico, Central America; 1955 Eastern Canada, 1956 Europe, 1957 Eastern Canada, and 1959 Africa, the Holy Land, and Europe)

I scouted two Cavavans 1959 Africa, and 1961 Eastern Canadian Caravan.

I worked at the California Airstream Plant from 1964 to 1969.

I have been to five International Rally’s.

I am former owner of Wally’s gold trailer.

I am a Charter Member of the WBCCI.

This is being told to you not that I am extraordinary, I’m just a fortunate person to have been part of this history.

When I say “TO HAVE FUN”, I mean it and I know that’s what it is all about.
PeeWee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 05:03 AM   #25
1983 Sovereign 31'

1984 31' Sovereign
Mount Olive , North Carolina
PeeWee,
Great post, you have quite a resume of having fun. In my opinion you are correct, 100%. If it weren't for the club politics, I believe there would be many more people having fun camping in their Airstreams.
Please keep having fun, I know we are.

Mac
WBCCI # 3292 AIR#16287
Buckeye (Chesapeake Bay Retreiver)
1983 31' Sovereign (Carmen O)
2006 2500HD Duramax SLT CC 4x4 (Brutus B)
Mount Olive, NC 28365
"Pickle Capital of the World"
Mac1 is offline   Reply With Quote