Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2008, 08:30 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Smile A Modest Proposal

At the 2008 midwinter IBT meeting, Past International President Don Shafer offered a brief soliloquy on “The International Club”, that being the term he used for 250 or so past and present International officers who, for practical purposes, were no longer affiliated with the units whence they came. (I won’t reproduce his comments here, but a transcript can be seen at MetroNY Copes )

As I read this, I was further reminded of Past International President Jim Franklin’s exhortations “But people that are continually tearing down the club and being destructive, and they're unhappy. I think we need to be selective in our memberships and start looking at a way of terminating their membership. . . “

(You can read Mr. Franklin’s words at WBCCI Adopting a new membership policy?*-*Savewally.org )

In considering these pronouncements by past International Presidents, it suddenly occurred to me that there really are two WBCCIs, the Unit level club that most of us belong to and love, and the International Club referred to by Don Shafer.

And for as long as I’ve been a member, the two clubs don’t get along. Many of the problems facing the WBCCI, and more especially the present disciplinary actions against Bob Thompson and Leo Garvey, fundamentally devolve from this conflict.

In view of the seemingly irreconcilable differences between the two clubs, maybe the best solution for everybody would be to divorce them. Given the advantages to both parties, I see no reason that the divorce could not be amicable.

The property settlement could be straightforward on account of the widely divergent goals of the two clubs. First let’s consider the club, typified by the Units, whose goal is fun, fellowship, and adventure. We could call it the Wally Byam Caravan Club, WBCC. We might even want to consider changing the name to the unpretentious Wally Byam Camping Club.

The goal of the International Club is prestige. So the prestige of the magic word, international, would be ceded to the International Club, which could retain the name Wally Byam Caravan Club, International. In view of the club’s objectives, they might want to think about keeping the initials WBCCI but changing the actual name to Wally Byam Country Club, International.

Regarding both clubs retaining the name of Wally Byam, Mr. Byam’s name is not encumbered by trademark or copyright considerations since he is a historical figure who has been deceased for some time. Likewise his signature blue beret--the hat, not the magazine--is not protected by trademark or copyright.

The International Club could have all things International, including the International Board of Trustees, the International Officers, the International Executive Committee, and of course, the crown jewel, the International Rally. Along with this they may freely have all red blazers, blue blazers, white tuxedoes, the Blue Beret (magazine) and the Blue Book.

In contrast, the Wally Byam Camping Club will have to come up with a new constitution and bylaws. My guess is that a couple of pages will do it. In view of the events leading up to the split, I would suggest that the Wally Byam Camping Club constitution include a Bill of Rights, beginning, “The Club shall make no rules abridging the freedom of speech. . .” It might also be appropriate if the WBCC constitution declared that “No club uniform or badge of rank shall be worn at any club function, beyond a name badge identifying the Member, Unit Affiliation, and Office held, if any.”

Now as to the question of membership requirements, I would first of all suggest that all members of the present International Club be grandfathered into the new International Club, with the option of switching their membership to the Camping Club, with the proviso that no one can be a member of both.

Beyond present members, I would expect that the International Club would want to establish strict membership requirements including membership by invitation only, scrutiny by a new member investigating committee to ensure that only the Right Sort are allowed into the club, and possibly production of a certified financial statement. New members of the International Club would of course be required to outfit themselves with a full set of blazers, formal dresses, white tuxedoes, etc., etc. Ownership of a suitably expensive motor home (any brand) or a new Airstream trailer 30 feet or more in length would of course be required. And, needless to say, new members would be required to swear an oath of undying loyalty and obedience to whoever the International leader might be.

Membership requirements for the Wally Byam Camping Club would be much simpler. Ownership of any RV designed or manufactured by Wally Byam or Airstream, Inc. would suffice.

As to the matter of dues, the dues for the Wally Byam Camping Club could be approximately equal to current Unit dues plus a few dollars more to cover essential functions, such as insurance, presently provided by the International Club. Without the extensive overhead of the International organization the total dues could be substantially less than present Unit plus International dues.

Since the membership of the International Club would be much lower, say, 300 members in all, the dues would have to be much higher, say, $1,000 a year per member, to cover the fixed costs of the International organization. But I would argue that high dues are actually an advantage to a club whose goal is prestige. Likewise the rally fee for the International Rally would have to be much higher, say, another $1,000 to cover the costs with much lower attendance. On the other hand, an International Rally with an attendance of, say, 200 units could be economically held at any number of full-hookup campgrounds, eliminating the need for the extensive WBCCI-supplied infrastructure presently needed at Internationals. So the costs might be substantially lower.

Nor is there necessarily any reason that members of the Camping Club could not attend International rallies and caravans, providing they are willing to pay the fees and conduct themselves with proper decorum (including compliance with dress codes) at International Club events. Likewise, members of the International Club could be welcome to attend the Camping Club’s rallies and caravans, provided that they observe the latter’s prohibition on uniforms and badges of rank and recognize that as guests, they have no say-so whatsoever in the Camping Club’s conduct of its affairs.

So there it is, folks. Let’s make the split, so the International types can have what they want, the laid back camping types can have what they want, and we can all stop wasting energy fighting each other and spend it enjoying life.

Cheers,
Nuvi
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 08:56 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Central Florida , Florida
Nuvi:

Your proposal will never be accepted by the current leadership (IBT) for financial reasons. However you could implement the camping part of your proposal by starting the WBCC. A forum member on another thread is also proposing starting a new club. You two should talk.
Air Apparent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 08:59 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Nuvi, I have thought since the motorhome motion was introduced that an alumni club for the old order would be a solution.

Did you happen to see Jim's post here? It seems many have arrived at the conclusion that we can't step up and change the club, they won't allow it. New beginnings and old horizons may have a parting of the ways...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/show...&postcount=141

One thing is for certain, standing before the IBT asking for anything is not going to get results.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 09:02 PM   #4
_

. , .
go for it!

good post, good idea.

it's been suggested by many of us and for years that the best-real solution is...

throw out or cut ties with the documents and demigods and START OVER.

clean slate, all equal, minimalist rules and documentation.

ALL fees directed toward member activities.

volunteers that simply volunteer.

and no annual sacrifice to wallywannabees.

i see starting the process with the popular units or current intraclubs as problematic on several levels.

start with a CLEAN clean slate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvite-F View Post
... “But people that are continually tearing down the club and being destructive, and they're unhappy...
it's interesting how folks view others as unhappyornot....

take a look at the pic in THIS post (u will need to Zooo000OOOM it) ...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/show...7&postcount=40

and then tell me who looks UNhappy....

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 09:21 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Let's see, the WBCCI leadership DECIDED to change the name of the club, the WBCCI leadership DECIDED to change the brand identity of the club, now the WBCCI leadership has decided to change the quality and quantity of the members by raising dues and eliminating members.

There has been change alright, just not the right kind of change. They say we complain and caused morale to be destroyed. They do not see that they destroyed morale and caused us to complain, they are far too busy patting each other on the back and giving themselves awards and special invitations. The members are merely the monitary means to fund their recreation.

photography
Old 08-27-2008, 09:21 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested View Post
Did you happen to see Jim's post here? It seems many have arrived at the conclusion that we can't step up and change the club, they won't allow it. New beginnings and old horizons may have a parting of the ways...
Carol,

Yes, I did see it. And seriously, I am beginning to wonder if Bob's suspension (and Leo's most likely soon-to-be expulsion) were--in historical perspective--the "shot heard 'round the world".

Forgive them, Wally. They know not what they do.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:31 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Blaine , Washington
Sign me up to the WBCC.

One question. If someone really wants to belong to both, for some strange reason, why not allow it?

John
Relentless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 10:36 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Might be easier to require the International officer at the end of his/her term to give up the 3 digit number and return to their unit.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 04:57 AM   #9
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relentless
Sign me up to the WBCC.

One question. If someone really wants to belong to both, for some strange reason, why not allow it?

John
Why would you want to?
Old 08-28-2008, 05:56 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
Be forewarned that posts and comments written on this FORUM, can and will be held against you in a court of Airstream peers.

Sign me up for the new WBCC as well. It's time has come.
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 06:25 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Quote:
Carol,

Yes, I did see it. And seriously, I am beginning to wonder if Bob's suspension (and Leo's most likely soon-to-be expulsion) were--in historical perspective--the "shot heard 'round the world".
It was heard n Canada!
Sign me up for the new club. I aways thought that we were only invited to the internatioal to fund their rally.
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 07:36 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
I will gladly turn in my numbers for new ones from the WBCC.
I am willing to help start a fresh. Like posted, the unit level works. I stick with the club, though in active at this point, because the unit I am with is great.
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 07:49 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Would the existing units remain with the current club, or would they break away and become part of the WBCC?

You could call it WBCCD. 'D' for Domestic!
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 08:33 AM   #14

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I, also, would accept new red numbers in the WBCC.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 07:41 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverhobby View Post
Be forewarned that posts and comments written on this FORUM, can and will be held against you in a court of Airstream peers.
Actually, that's not quite right, and therein lies the rub. If grievances against us were tried before a court of our peers, none of the present crisis would likely have happened. The problem is that grievances are heard, in secret, before a committee of people that we probably don't know and who don't know us.

On top of that, there is no requirement that the defendant even be notified. Go look at Article V of the by-laws. The defendant has 30 days after notice is mailed to request a hearing. There is no requirement that he actually receive it--and mail to RVers can easily be delayed more than 30 days. All very un-American.

This gives me cause to think about the need (or not) for an Ethics and Grievance Committee for our hypothetical WBCC. I'm inclined to think we wouldn't need one. Maybe instead we could have a unit officer titled Referee. Grievances would be adjudicated on the spot by means of a fist fight between the complainant and the defendant, with drinks all around on the Unit after it's over.

By the way, I started this thread tongue-in-cheekly and am amazed how many people took it seriously!

Cheers,
Nuvi
Old 08-29-2008, 08:39 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
This gives me cause to think about the need (or not) for an Ethics and Grievance Committee for our hypothetical WBCC. I'm inclined to think we wouldn't need one. Maybe instead we could have a unit officer titled Referee. Grievances would be adjudicated on the spot by means of a fist fight between the complainant and the defendant, with drinks all around on the Unit after it's over.

Cheers,
Nuvi
That always worked for John Wayne. In the event of disputes amongst women I propose a bout of mud wrasslin'. It's always a bonus when you can laugh at yourselves after working out your frustrations and end with a handshake and a brew.

Still, all roads will never lead to WBCCI. There are plenty of Airstreamers ripe for a fresh new association.

photography
Old 08-29-2008, 08:44 PM   #17
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested View Post
That always worked for John Wayne. In the event of disputes amongst women I propose a bout of mud wrasslin'. It's always a bonus when you can laugh at yourselves after working out your frustrations and end with a handshake and a brew.
How about Jell-o 'rassling? It's easier and more fun to clean up afterwards...
Old 08-29-2008, 09:06 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Mud wrasslin'? Jello wrasslin'?

Yee Haw! With entertainment like that at rallies WBCC may have 20,000 members in no time flat!
Old 08-29-2008, 09:25 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
Well, what WOULD it take to get a new club formed?

Is there a "Creating an RV Club for Dummies" ? I'll buy it.

Any Jeffersons out there who can write a constitution?

Seriously, what's involved?
BRN #20321 Air #4056
"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 11:59 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
But seriously folks....!

Hello all -

But seriously folks!!!!! Why can't there be a WBCC started? I mean, there are surely hurdles, but they are likely small.... I as we can clearly see, there are more than a few folks that would join such a club in a flat out HEART BEAT!!!!! The new club could incorporate all the 'new' ideas (web presence, blogs, interactive meetings, on-line newsletters.....) to keep the dues low and attractive....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But seriously folks, the FCU started with a germ of an idea like this - and LOOK AT THEM!!!!!

Count me in on the new WBCC, or whatever it may be called!

YEAH BABY!!!!

Axel
SilverToy
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote