Old 08-29-2008, 08:41 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverhobby View Post
Be forewarned that posts and comments written on this FORUM, can and will be held against you in a court of Airstream peers.
Actually, that's not quite right, and therein lies the rub. If grievances against us were tried before a court of our peers, none of the present crisis would likely have happened. The problem is that grievances are heard, in secret, before a committee of people that we probably don't know and who don't know us.

On top of that, there is no requirement that the defendant even be notified. Go look at Article V of the by-laws. The defendant has 30 days after notice is mailed to request a hearing. There is no requirement that he actually receive it--and mail to RVers can easily be delayed more than 30 days. All very un-American.

This gives me cause to think about the need (or not) for an Ethics and Grievance Committee for our hypothetical WBCC. I'm inclined to think we wouldn't need one. Maybe instead we could have a unit officer titled Referee. Grievances would be adjudicated on the spot by means of a fist fight between the complainant and the defendant, with drinks all around on the Unit after it's over.

By the way, I started this thread tongue-in-cheekly and am amazed how many people took it seriously!

Cheers,
Nuvi

Old 08-29-2008, 09:39 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvite-F View Post
This gives me cause to think about the need (or not) for an Ethics and Grievance Committee for our hypothetical WBCC. I'm inclined to think we wouldn't need one. Maybe instead we could have a unit officer titled Referee. Grievances would be adjudicated on the spot by means of a fist fight between the complainant and the defendant, with drinks all around on the Unit after it's over.

Cheers,
Nuvi
That always worked for John Wayne. In the event of disputes amongst women I propose a bout of mud wrasslin'. It's always a bonus when you can laugh at yourselves after working out your frustrations and end with a handshake and a brew.

Still, all roads will never lead to WBCCI. There are plenty of Airstreamers ripe for a fresh new association.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 09:44 PM   #17
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested View Post
That always worked for John Wayne. In the event of disputes amongst women I propose a bout of mud wrasslin'. It's always a bonus when you can laugh at yourselves after working out your frustrations and end with a handshake and a brew.
How about Jell-o 'rassling? It's easier and more fun to clean up afterwards...
Old 08-29-2008, 10:06 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Mud wrasslin'? Jello wrasslin'?

Yee Haw! With entertainment like that at rallies WBCC may have 20,000 members in no time flat!
Old 08-29-2008, 10:25 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1963 24' Tradewind
Highland , Illinois
Well, what WOULD it take to get a new club formed?

Is there a "Creating an RV Club for Dummies" ? I'll buy it.

Any Jeffersons out there who can write a constitution?

Seriously, what's involved?

Air #4056

"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 12:59 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
But seriously folks....!

Hello all -

But seriously folks!!!!! Why can't there be a WBCC started? I mean, there are surely hurdles, but they are likely small.... I as we can clearly see, there are more than a few folks that would join such a club in a flat out HEART BEAT!!!!! The new club could incorporate all the 'new' ideas (web presence, blogs, interactive meetings, on-line newsletters.....) to keep the dues low and attractive....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But seriously folks, the FCU started with a germ of an idea like this - and LOOK AT THEM!!!!!

Count me in on the new WBCC, or whatever it may be called!

YEAH BABY!!!!

Axel
SilverToy
Old 08-30-2008, 02:03 AM   #21
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverToy View Post
Hello all -

But seriously folks!!!!! Why can't there be a WBCC started? ...
Count me in on the new WBCC, or whatever it may be called!

YEAH BABY!!!!

Axel
SilverToy
Exactly, why not indeed!!

What about a name? Who has some ideas for a great name?

photography
Old 08-30-2008, 05:26 AM   #22
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Will the reborn WBCC (which was the the original name of the now WBCCI) have infra clubs? I mean, if the square dancing club is not a part of this new WBCC, I just could not make the switch. What about the VAC? Will that be staying or coming over too? Would the name have to change there? Maybe it could be called the "New Vintage Airstream Club" or "Vintage Airstream Club a New".

One of the rules I would like to see in the Constitution is "one bottle of wine shall be brought to every dinner to share with all those sitting at the dinner table. Anyone, caught not bringing wine to dinner shall be required to go to the store and purchase said bottle before they will be allowed to return to the dinner.

Another I would like is: "anyone caught wearing formal clothing shall be removed from any club function immediately. The exception being heavily sequined clothing that creates a disco ball effect for everyone's enjoyment, and or formal wear that has been tie dyed."

I would also like to see the rule of "no socks are allowed between May 15 and September 15. Anyone caught wearing socks between those dates will be held down by a group of their peers and have their sock removed with force if necessary. There will be allowances if a Doctors written excuse is presented as to the necessity of wearing said socks."

Maybe another good rule would be, "anyone caught wearing a beret will be mocked and ridiculed by their peers until said beret is removed. Exception to this rule will be made if a Doctors written excuse is presented as to the necessity of wearing said beret. "

These are just a few suggestions, More will come to me soon.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 05:35 AM   #23
Site Team

, Minnesota
Aw gee, already we're makin' up lots of rooles!
Old 08-30-2008, 10:08 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Blaine , Washington
When you think about it, we already have a club here on the Forum. There are no rules, no dues and anyone can be a member that has an interest in Airstreams. Our newsletter is this forum, we have rallies all over the country and we all have a good time.

Do we realy need to get any more formal than this?
Welcome to the club!

John
Old 08-30-2008, 10:30 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post

Maybe another good rule would be, "anyone caught wearing a beret will be mocked and ridiculed by their peers until said beret is removed. Exception to this rule will be made if a Doctors written excuse is presented as to the necessity of wearing said beret. "
I know your tongue is in cheek, but I wouldn't be able to get behind this one. You see, I'm a hat person. I've been wearing berets for years. Long before I knew there was an association of them with Airstreams. Usually mine are black of Basque origin, although a have had a navy blue one. I'm afraid I don't associate the beret with Airstreams. To me they are an incredibly versatile piece of headwear.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 10:36 AM   #26
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Took the words right out of my mouth. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relentless View Post
When you think about it, we already have a club here on the Forum. There are no rules, no dues and anyone can be a member that has an interest in Airstreams. Our newsletter is this forum, we have rallies all over the country and we all have a good time.

Do we realy need to get any more formal than this?
Welcome to the club!

John
I was about to post but took the wise precaution of reloading the page before opening my mouth, and there you were!

Since everyone wants to be serious. . .

First of all, I would counsel sticking around to see how the present crisis in WBCCI turns out. WBCCI has been dying slowly for many years. But now the Internationals have crossed the Rubicon--never before has WBCCI eaten its own young. (That I know of, anyway.)

I have a feeling that the outcome is going to be an acceleration of the process--WBCCI is either going to change more quickly or die more quickly. I still hope that it will change more quickly and the need to split will be avoided.

But if not, as John says, there is a good question as to whether we need another club or simply ramp up our support of the forum rallies. We will have attended a total of five WBCCI rallies by the end of this season (including Unit, Region, and International) and zero forum rallies. Next year maybe we will do a couple of forum rallies and a couple fewer WBCCI rallies. Sort of scope out the alternatives, so to speak.

I don't know whether we need a "club" or not to derive the benefits that we get from our units, which are essentially groups of friends that get together often. Beyond that, the benefits of Region and International participation don't seem to me, right at this moment, to be worth the cost in either money or aggravation.

Thoughtfully,
Nuvi
Old 08-30-2008, 11:28 AM   #27
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Yikes! No socks is ok with me, but an Airstream club that segregates and leaves some of the members on the intraclub perimeter looking in from outside only allowed to associate but not recieve full standing wouldn't have the draw of an inclusive association nor would it recruit from the giant pool of the many new Airstream owners. You might want to leave that division right there where it sits next to the International Club. Let the fun cool people be interspersed and give us others an opportunity to enjoy you with equal footing.

photography
Old 08-30-2008, 11:45 AM   #28
Site Team

, Minnesota
I was gonna ask an awkward question about insurance, but I see that has been covered.

Of the annual WBCCI dues, how much is for insurance, and how much is for executive travel expenses?

I don't have a dog in this fight.

Yet.