Old 07-13-2006, 06:21 PM   #1
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
A few questions about next yearís International and the WBCCI

Iíve got several questions about WBCCI membership for the forum. Susan and I havenít given much serious thought to joining for a couple of reasons. First of all, we donít yet have a usable trailer (arg!). Second, weíre not sure we need to have a ďstructureĒ to camping. Thatís fine for some folks, but maybe isnít for us.

What got us thinking that membership might not be such a bad idea is the fact that the International will be in Perry, Ga. next year. Thatís only a couple hoursí drive away from McDonough. This may be our only chance to go to one, so what the heck, letís look into it. Besides, I think the only way to get one of 2Airís RBCCI hats is to go to Perry next year!

So, what are the benefits of club membership?

We know about the club campgrounds. Thereís one a couple hours drive away from here (Top of Georgia). Can you stay at any campground across the country? What are the rates like? Top of Georgia is very inexpensive, from what I understand. Full hookups are generally the norm? Where can I get a listing of them? What is the vacancy rate?

My understanding is that the Georgia group has very reasonable annual dues. What is ďreasonableĒ? How does one become a Member At Large? There is a lot of good talk about WDCU on the forum. Is this a separate unit, like the Georgia unit?

How about the VAC. Are there separate VAC units, or are they part of the local unit? How does that work?

If we do join, whatís the deadline to register for next yearís International with 30 amp service?

I know that many of you have serious convictions both ďfer and aginĒ membership. My point here is not to start another thread over the ďproís and conísĒ of the WBCCI. We simply would like to hear about a few of the everyday things that club members do, thatís all. The enjoyments and a few of the nuts and bolts. No big controversies here.

A couple of notes for those of you coming this way next year. We measure humidity by the quart-per-cubic-foot here in Georgia. You will definitely want the A/C working in your camper. The term sultry was invented to describe Georgia summers. Second, if there is any way possible, DO NOT get on the interstate highways around the city of Atlanta with your big silver wonders. Find a way to go around it. Everybody likes to complain about traffic in their home town, right? Atlanta has traffic problems of Biblical proportions; Iím talking Old Testament, wrath of God kinda stuff. Couple that with the fact that many of the drivers here seem to have learned to drive in the third world, on a dirt road, and had to dodge the yaks to get around well, you get the idea. There are plenty of nice secondary road, by-pass type highways around the metro area. Youíd be much better off using them.

OK then, fill us in.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 06:47 PM   #2
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Jim, the Washington DC unit is a virtual unit, which exists only on paper, and the internet.

Old 07-13-2006, 06:55 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
Jim, the Washington DC unit is a virtual unit, which exists only on paper, and the internet.
Not really, they have officers and hold several rallies throughout the year on the east coast. They conduct all business through the internet and the dues are only $1 per year.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 07:58 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
Here is some information dues for both membership.

VAC is a sub group in the WBCCI some are active, some (like my area) are not. Depends on the number of members in the area.

I do not think that you can register for the next international yet.

I am just starting to become active in my unit. We have a Rally next weekend and one next month. It is a fun time and we help out with set up and take down of meals and the meeting. Everyone chips in to make it go smooth.

I will make sure my air works.....
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
1967/8 Overlander International Twin w/ bunk/s.
Yes, four kids and two adults in the thing.
Happy wife, happy life.
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 08:04 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by till
Here is some information dues for both membership.

VAC is a sub group in the WBCCI some are active, some (like my area) are not. Depends on the number of members in the area.

I do not think that you can register for the next international yet.

I am just starting to become active in my unit. We have a Rally next weekend and one next month. It is a fun time and we help out with set up and take down of meals and the meeting. Everyone chips in to make it go smooth.

I will make sure my air works.....
Till,

You can register for the 2007 International now. They were taking registrations at the Salem International.

Bill
Just my personal opinion

Old 07-13-2006, 08:21 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
OK, my bad. Maybe I will register soon too.
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
1967/8 Overlander International Twin w/ bunk/s.
Yes, four kids and two adults in the thing.
Happy wife, happy life.
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 09:17 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
I am a past president of the Local unit Ted Ill belongs to. You should contact the membership chairman of your local Georgia unit and attend one of their rallies before you decide to join. They usually let you have a sample rally before you need to make a commitment. Top of Georgia is a nice campground and cheap. It is a little compact since it is snuggled in the valley. If you buy a trailer that is older than 25 years, you can join VAC but that is another $20 per year. They send out four Newletters per year. You do not actually have to be a member of their group to park with them at the International but they would prefer it. They are a fun less formal younger group. I park with them frequently instead of with my local unit. when you are a member of WBCCI you can attend any rally anywhere. There are also about 10 Airstream campsites left. You can buy a little book with them from one of the members ( the book is listed in the Blue Beret) They are usually alot cheaper than regular comercial campsites. The directory of members also lists those who have courtesy parking for overnighters. Call ahead to check availability. There is usually no charge. Club is worth it if you: like people, camping, caravaning, rallies.
Old 07-14-2006, 03:50 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1997 30' Limited
1972 23' Safari
1965 17' Caravel
Howell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to Airboss Send a message via MSN to Airboss Send a message via Yahoo to Airboss
Where iis the 2008 International Rally going to be held at??? I heard Montana.. Is that right? If so,, What town??? Dates???
Old 07-14-2006, 04:12 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4201KW8G
Where iis the 2008 International Rally going to be held at??? I heard Montana.. Is that right? If so,, What town??? Dates???
Bozeman, same dates June 28 to July 4. Montana State University grounds.

Bill
Just my personal opinion

Old 07-14-2006, 04:57 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1997 30' Limited
1972 23' Safari
1965 17' Caravel
Howell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to Airboss Send a message via MSN to Airboss Send a message via Yahoo to Airboss
Thanks Bill.. Looks as If I will be going to that one. Been all over the country but not in that part of it yet. So I can kill 2 birds with one stone. Get to see Yellowstone while Im there..Ralph #4201
Old 07-14-2006, 05:13 PM   #11
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Jim, I was in a similar boat as you, a few years ago. I had just bought the trailer, and was thinking about wbcci, not really sure about it, etc, etc...but they were holding the International at a location that was a few short hours from me. So I figured that I had to check it out...might never get another chance. We were able to take advantage of the short-lived promotion that the wally club was having at the time...a free year for any new airstream owner. So that part was different from your situation...nothing to loose, so we signed up, mainly to be able to get in to the big rally.

we couldn't stay the whole week, so I didn't want to spend the $$ to be an official attendee. I was lucky to be able to book a couple of days at a local campground. (lucky, because they usually get booked the instant the rally location is announced, by those that want to go to the rally, but can't stand to boondock, for whatever reason. With the more recent availability of 30amp service, this probably won't be an issue anymore. but anyway...).

So we got up there, checked it out saw 1000 airstreams parked in close proximity to one another, which was cool...but that's about it. otherwise, it seemed like a ghost town. We really felt like fish out of water...30-somethings with an infant (11 weeks old) amongst a group of predominantly...well..um...."really old people." It just didn't seem that we were going to fit in. Everyone was very nice, though. But it just didn't seem like we were in the right place. (it was 95 degrees and sticky...*extremely* unusual for northern VT, and there were rally attendees walking around with long sleeves and sweaters. )

Anyway..at one point, we found a spot to sit down and feed the baby. Babies are ol' lady magnets...and there was a group having some kind of reception under a tent nearby, so a few came over to "kitchy-koo" Jr., and in the insuing small-talk, we found that they were from our area (MA), and then they were all over us to join their unit, and come to their big rally on Cape Cod the next month. (we were wearing our MAL badges; we joined MAL because we didn't know which unit to join, and geographically speaking, we could join any or all of 3).
So we decided to check out the local rally, where we met people from the NEU, and they just turned out to be a really fun group. We wound up "declaring" for NEU, and the rest is history.
We had no intention of joining a group...I figured camping was a way to get away from people. but it has since turned into a social activity for us. go figure...I don't think we camped alone last year at all. all wally-club, and a few times w/ some sob friends, but always with a group. It just makes it more fun, even though this was never our plan.

Now, from reading on the forums, I know that our group is not like some others...but you might just get lucky and find a fun group down in your area. I hear that TOG is really nice, and its not too far from you...there aren't any of those types of places anywhere near us, so those sorts of "benefits" don't mean much to us. The rallies are enough to keep us coming back.

Oh, and WDCU: they don't mearly exist in cyber-space; they're real, actual people! I've seen 'em! I've even camped with them a couple of times!
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 08:17 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
If you enjoy being aound others and exchanging thoughts about your unit and hearing about others as well as just good old fellowship then by all means get involved with your local unit. You will find friendships and personal relationships that can't be duplicated by internet connections. The top has some wonderful people and you would be welcomed by them. I know they made me feel at home when I visited with them.
Rick
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 03:42 PM   #13
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Thanks folks, these are exactly the type of thoughtful suggestions I was hoping for. So, what does it cost to go the International?

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 03:47 PM   #14
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan
Thanks folks, these are exactly the type of thoughtful suggestions I was hoping for. So, what does it cost to go the International?

It costs $235 for couples if registered before January 1st.....$255 after January1st

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
streamer23 is offline   Reply With Quote