Old 07-20-2008, 08:54 AM   #1
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Lightbulb 2020 Committee reports

Maybe it would be appropriate to discuss the 2020 Committee reports, available on the WBCCI site (click 2020 at the top).

At the moment, the WBCCI site is unavailable. (Nothing like IT outfits that take the weekend off. Wish I could!) Come Monday, I'll try to get in and post the main report here.

Lynn

Old 07-20-2008, 11:44 AM   #2
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Ok, I got the main report:

Quote:
TO: Jerry Larson, President, International Board of Trustees WBCCI

FROM: Bill Schrader, Chairman, 2020 Long Range Planning Committee

SUBJECT: JULY 5, 2008, 2020 COMMITTEE REPORT, BOZEMAN, MONTANA

The Wally Byam Caravan Club International Inc. has been wrestling with reform for 10 years with little success.
The 2020 Committee is determined to change that. Despite a tight timeline…having been created just six months ago…we have conducted a 32-question survey of the WBCCI Units through their presidents; analyzed documents from past survey efforts and since arriving at the Bozeman Rally have had meetings with past international presidents; Airstream Chairman Larry Huttle; caravan leadership; WBCCI members at the Idea Share seminar; Tim Schwartz, founder of the WBCCI.net Web site; Rich Luhr, Editor and Publisher of Airstream Life; and representatives from the Vintage Club.
We have produced Vision and a Mission statements to provide continuity in leadership for the club and we have identified key priorities on which we will focus our attention for the next six months.
We intend to effect change, not create another set of recommendations that never get implemented.
The committee is focused on practical solutions. We know that past efforts had similar aspirations. They did good work, made good recommendations and believed they could do good things for WBCCI members. But, for whatever reason, their plans and recommendations died on their way to implementation.
While we are proposing a common sense blueprint, we are not the people who will make the change happen. That will be up to the International Board of Trustees. We urge the membership to speak up in the months ahead and let the club’s leaders know your feelings.
The 2020 Committee is also interested in hearing from the membership. We have created a 2020@wbcci.net Web site where WBCCI members can comment on the committee’s progress and make suggestions for action they would like to see us take.
Key trends and issues were identified in the committee’s discovery process. Strengths and weaknesses and threats and opportunities and their implications were assessed. From this, evolved Vision and Mission statements to be used as a road map to guide WBCCI’s long- and short-range plans.

The Vision Statement:
“To be the recreational vehicle club of choice for Airstream owners.”

The Mission Statement:
WBCCI will:
I. Foster a vibrant and growing membership
1. The Unit is the heart and soul of WBCCI. Measure actions taken at the International and Regional level and by the Headquarters staff by their impact on the Units.
2. Attract new members using marketing techniques such as direct
mail, phoning, the Internet and WBCCI’s broad outreach.
3. Re-engage former members and retain current members with efforts that
increase member loyalty.
4. Improve performance at all levels and hold each other accountable for expanding
the opportunities for membership growth.
5. Meet the membership’s expectations that WBCCI is an effective organization.

II. Create and reinforce member activities

1. Foster excellence in all WBCCI activities.

2. Improved communication is vital to the future of the organization and digital
media must be embraced as a way to communicate and to provide new services.
3. Embrace the powers granted in the constitution to own, manufacture, utilize,
repair, contract, sell, rent or conduct any business for the benefit of the Wally Byam Caravan Club International.

III. Build the WBCCI image
1. Leadership maintains an active presence among members to keep abreast of
member needs.
2. Broaden the partnership with the Airstream Corporation.
3. Create an organization that embraces its diversity and accepts differing
opinions.
4. The WBCCI Code of Ethics is the moral compass for the operation of the
organization.
5. Structured formality and exclusive practices are less relevant to today’s
newer/younger members.
6. Create a culture that encourages broad participation in decision making.

IV Insure the legacy of WBCCI

1. The International Board of Trustees focuses on strategic planning, leadership
development and organizational evaluation.
2. WBCCI achievements and events are documented to be perpetuated by the
WBCCI historian.

We urge the WBCCI leadership and membership to respond to these proposals. The 2020 Committee will take the suggestions under consideration and produce final Vision and Mission statements for action by the International Board of Trustees at the January, 2009, meeting in Montgomery, Texas.
The committee urges Regions and Units to create strategic plans that mirror the key elements in the WBCCI vision and mission statements.
The 2020 Committee has identified four priorities on which it will focus in the next six months. One item can be implemented immediately. The other items will require further study by the committee with the intent of coming to the January IBT with proposals.
Making the Blue Beret available to members as a .pdf file sent to them at their e-mail address can be implemented immediately. This would enable members to receive the Blue Beret three weeks earlier and wherever they might be. The .pdf file with the Blue Beret can be downloaded, even with a dial-up connection, in a matter of minutes. In our meetings significant numbers of members expressed an interest in receiving the Blue Beret electronically. Converting 500 members to an electronic magazine would save the club approximately $6,500 a year.
The other three priorities the committee will work on in the next six months are:
1– 2. The Blue Beret and the WBCCI.org Web site.
The first introduction to WBCCI for many potential and new members comes from the Blue Beret and the Web site, WBCCI.org. WBCCI should have the best possible magazine and the best possible Web site, surpassing the magazines and Web sites of all other RV organizations.
A. The Blue Beret should deliver information that members find useful, that will generate business for advertisers, that all members will look forward to receiving, that has a useful format and an attractive presentation.
B. The WBCCI Web site should appeal to and attract visitors the first time and then bring them back again, which means the site must have information that is interesting, pertinent and fresh, and be easy to navigate with a snappy design.
3 Surveys will be conducted of MALs and new Airstream owners, the greatest potential
for membership gains through retention improvement and new members.. The MAL
survey will focus on learning why Airstream owners want to be Members At Large
and what would make them feel more of a part of WBCCI to improve the retention
rate. The goal of the new member survey will be to find out why WBCCI isn’t
successful in attracting them to club membership in significant numbers.

The committee will be coordinating its activities with the standing and special committee chairmen.
The committee’s efforts over the last six months have produced hundreds of suggestions from the membership to make the club and the International Rally even better. We will be aggregating all these suggestions and forward them to the International Board of Trustees. They include many viable, practical and doable suggestions for improving the club.
The committee will also be posting the complete results of its Unit survey, including all member comments, plus documentation of its research projects on the WBCCI.org Web site in the near future.

Lynn

Old 07-20-2008, 05:43 PM   #3
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Ok, since a good number of folks have peeked, but nobody has responded yet, let me begin with what I find the most impressive in this report: The intention of the committee to have these recommendations turned into actions, not merely put to the side and forgotten. They have, in effect, charged the IBT with responding to these recommendations, however modest (or outrageous, depending on one's viewpoint) they may be.

But they have also charged us, the members of the WBCCI, with "speak[ing] up in the months ahead and let the club’s leaders know your feelings." Let's do so. Maybe here, maybe over at the WBCCI site, but let's do so.

Lynn
Old 07-24-2008, 12:52 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
I read the report over at the WBCCI website. No earth shattering surprises. Less formality less elitism etc.

What I am looking for is if the IBT implements some of the easier changes/modifications in the near future. If they do it would be a clear statement that they recognize a problem and are willing to address it. If not the future will be bleak.

We as Members do need to do our part by talking with any IBT member we meet but also with Region leaders.

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 07:06 AM   #5
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
No, the changes they've suggested aren't that amazing, but, then, when you get right down to it, the changes that are needed aren't that numerous anyway, IMHO. My main hope, like yours, is that they actually do something, a hope that is mirrored in the report itself.

Lynn
Old 07-24-2008, 07:46 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
It is my understanding that the IBT did not like the report. They were especially unhappy with the unit centric approach to the club ethos. Now that's a surprise. The false assumption here is that the clique in power wants more members or change. What their actions suggest they really want is more people at international in order to pay the bills for being there a month and keep them going.

It's one thing to attract a new member it's another for them to keep showing up.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:48 AM   #7

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
At least they have addressed the MAL issue. Maybe the IBT will finally awaken to the fact that there are many Airstreamers that want to be part of WBCCI, but want no part of a unit. These members tend to feel disenfranchised. They pay more dues, and have no direct line to the IBT. Do you think that this might possibly have an impact on retention?????

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 09:57 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over59 View Post
It is my understanding that the IBT did not like the report. They were especially unhappy with the unit centric approach to the club ethos. Now that's a surprise. The false assumption here is that the clique in power wants more members or change. What their actions suggest they really want is more people at international in order to pay the bills for being there a month and keep them going.

It's one thing to attract a new member it's another for them to keep showing up.
If that is the driving force with the IBT they will have to modify the rally to draw attendees ($).

It's all in the report. No special parking, dining or seating. The IBT should be dispersed out among the Members. Shorten the opening ceremonies, less formality, allow Members to attend a partial week so those with jobs can attend, Be more kid, pet friendly, less formal attire, reasonable rally fees. All but the last one are very easy modifications to the rally template.

Now if that were done in 2009 then in 2010 attendance should increase because the International would be less of a duty and more fun to rank and file.

The interesting aspect to me is that if the above modifications were implemented the price would not even need to be reduced as people will pay and travel to have fun.

Bottom line. If its not fun people won't go. If it was fun people won't complain about the bull pen, cost or other perceived negatives.

Hopefully the IBT will realize that changes like those above ensure their continued enjoyments.

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 11:44 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
On the road since 2000 , norseaodyssey.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
At least they have addressed the MAL issue. Maybe the IBT will finally awaken to the fact that there are many Airstreamers that want to be part of WBCCI, but want no part of a unit. These members tend to feel disenfranchised. They pay more dues, and have no direct line to the IBT. Do you think that this might possibly have an impact on retention?????

Brian
We are new to "Airstram Life" having purchased our trailer last November.

From my perspective the structure of the WBCCI is part of the problem.

If the units were stand alone clubs, with a charter from the WBCCI but paid a very modest annual fee to the WBCCi, say $5.00 a year for their charter and the WBCCI had to operate in a fashion that membership to the IBT was something that was a separate membership with a seperate fee I will bet money the existing "crisis" would not exist.

We find the structre of the WBCCI to be the biggest impediment to joining. Why on earth would we want to give money to a unit that has to give it to the IBT knowing that we would have no say in how the IBT operates? The WBCCI structure guaranteed the problems that exist today.

And, there is absolutely NO incentive for change from the perspective of people who have spent years "paying their dues" in order to reach the pinnacle of the organization. Why on earth do they want to make changes when they have spent all this time following the rules in order to finally reach the penultimate positions?

Frankly I think it is foolhardy to think that there will be change. They do not have to do anything and the money just keeps rolling in. Until that changes I do not see any changes to the WBCCI being driven from the top down. The lower levels can try as they will but the structure of the WBCCI specifically prevents the people in the units from doing anything.

It will take years and years before there is any hope of change being driven from the top and that will only happen when the money is exhausted; from what I understand deficit spending is now the way the WBCCI is operating as of the budget that was approved for this fiscal year. Perhaps they think they can operate like the US Government and print money when they need it rather than operating using sound fiscal measures.

I commend everyone who is fighting the good fight for change in the WBCCI; you are to be applauded for your efforts. I fear, however, that everything you are trying to do is going to result in absolutely no change at the top.

Jim, who hopes to be a member some day but until things change is not willing to give his money to a group over which he has no control/input.

"Travel is fatal to bigotry, prejudice and being narrow minded."
norsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 12:31 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
From my point of view, I could not agree more with the last two posts of Goin Camping and Norsea. I find those evaluations spot on.

When I first joined, is it four years ago now (?) I bought into the "canned talk" that WBCCI needed volunteers and no one would step up and that the IBT only needed to be apprised of what members thought and fresh ideas presented. Unfortunately I have come to see that they do all to be shielded from being directly confronted with constructive criticism and ideas for change with obligatory passing remarks and committees, reports and deaf forum, questionaires, even interpreting the results in what I think to be diametrically opposed to the information gathered to support the stand they held beforehand and have no real desire to ever deviate from.

I was active in the name change and brand identity issues which always smacked of no-brainer conclusions. But now that the cold war with Robert's Rules and Parlimentarian creativity fashioned towards a specific end ensues I have tired out and stopped butting the wall with my head. I doubt a member can make a change in the bottleneck utilizing the current system of governance. Short of a unified restructuring with clout of serious repricussions I fear it's only become a waiting game until they have finshed out their golden international staus years and relinquished control of the club back to its members when they are good and done with it and have extracted all benefit for themselves for as long as humanly possible.

Not a single obligatory or good faith change had made it through yet, no bone for the masses, but more badges and increased allowances and special numbers were the order of the business day this year, oh and also that bit of new business to block the motion from members so that a proxy delegate could bring the units' votes forward if the unit has no one able to attend...so something like 12 units full of members who all made their effort to make their voices heard and have their votes counted were left uncounted all for the matter of a technicality... AND!!! there was that bit where the unit presidents were instructed wrongly of the voting procedure conveniently disguising the fact there could be votes for those running from the floor and then LEFT uncorrected intentionally until the delegates meeeting, too late for the votes to reflect all candidates and insult onto injury, immediately preceding the vote, the nominating committee hawks their "recommendations" for their candidates with no mention of the others and that is just their own special brand of "bonus" and NOT based on procedural rules or bylaw.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 12:55 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Good points from everyone....

and no tone of bitterness!

One question that I have that I hope someone who is in the know can answer -

The WBCCI.net site -

it seems that it is in competition with the wbcci.org site -

no crossover links that I saw that could get you from one address to the other -

What is the function of the .net website - is it to supplement or engulf the original .org site?

If it is to supplement, it would seem to dilute the power of the internet as far as the WBCCI goes, since an outsider will only look at one or the other - not at both.

Seems to me to be needless competition.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 02:27 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87MH View Post
One question that I have that I hope someone who is in the know can answer -

The WBCCI.net site -

it seems that it is in competition with the wbcci.org site -

no crossover links that I saw that could get you from one address to the other -

What is the function of the .net website - is it to supplement or engulf the original .org site?

If it is to supplement, it would seem to dilute the power of the internet as far as the WBCCI goes, since an outsider will only look at one or the other - not at both.

Seems to me to be needless competition.
I'm not 100% sure...but I did find a direct link from wbcci.net to wbcci.org here, right on the home page (first paragragh):

Quote:
This is the place where Units, Regions, Intra-clubs, Rallies and Caravans of the Wally Byam Caravan Club International (WBCCI) - the Airstream RV Owners Association, can:
What I believe the relationship is, is that the .net sites are a network of the Region/Unit/Interest Group websites and the .org is the International Club site. If you go to the .org site and the click on the "Regions" tab, then Regions 1, 4, 5, 7, 8, 11 & 12 you will see that the Region websites referenced are .net sites. Likewise with many of the Unit sites. What's going on is a switchover from International maintaining all the regional sites to individual regions/units maintaining their own on the .net site.

Also, you will notice that the .net site is in beta format which means it's not totally worked out yet.

May not be 100% accurate...but I think I am on the right track and have heard of trying to make the web access more friendly & interactive on the local level ~

Here is a list of all the .net sites - you will find many units and regions there.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 07:00 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Whittier, California , Depoe Bay, Oregon
A Suggestion for Bill Schrader

Lynn--Thanks for posting the 2020 report to the IBT. The most significant thing I found in the report was the committee self expectation to "intent to effect change" and not just create a list of recommendations.
Before the 2020 committee spends 6 more months and a lot of effort to compile a list of recommendations and polish the Vision & Mission Statements, I recommend they do the following:

Select their first recommendation and "effect the change" now. This will test the IBT's willingness to support this process and save a lot of time and effort if the IBT is not interested.

It's more important to do one change now than have a long list of things to do down the road. If they can show one success at the Jan 2009 meeting, they will be celebrated for getting the process underway and will be given the required time to do the next one or two and then the next one or two until after several years, meaningful change has improved the club.

My best wishes to Bill Schrader and the 2020 team in this most important endeavor.

2003 22ft CCD Int'l
2005 GMC Yukon Denali
WBCCI #2960
bobkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 07:32 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkelly View Post
Lynn--Thanks for posting the 2020 report to the IBT. The most significant thing I found in the report was the committee self expectation to "intent to effect change" and not just create a list of recommendations.
Before the 2020 committee spends 6 more months and a lot of effort to compile a list of recommendations and polish the Vision & Mission Statements, I recommend they do the following:

Select their first recommendation and "effect the change" now. This will test the IBT's willingness to support this process and save a lot of time and effort if the IBT is not interested.

It's more important to do one change now than have a long list of things to do down the road. If they can show one success at the Jan 2009 meeting, they will be celebrated for getting the process underway and will be given the required time to do the next one or two and then the next one or two until after several years, meaningful change has improved the club.

My best wishes to Bill Schrader and the 2020 team in this most important endeavor.
Bob,

If you haven't already, please post this on the WBCCI Forum 20-20 Committee comments.

Assuming that the site comes back up, of course.

Bill

Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote