Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-04-2016, 04:20 PM   #1
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
2017 WBCCI International Rally - Escanaba, MI

The 2017 WBCCI International Rally will be held in Escanaba, MI, July 22 - 29. Here's a link to the web site:

http://wbcci.org/international-rally...-escanaba-mi-2

I think this is the first International Rally that will not be held on/around July 4th (Wally Byam's birthday). We've registered and plan to do some sightseeing before or after the rally.

Anyone else planning to attend?
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 05:24 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
We decided that we are going to go to our first international. A fellow air streamer was at Lewisburg and told me the registration opened up and 300 plus already signed up for 2017. I bought our admission and were going to give it a go. We have always wanted to go to the UP of Michigan and this gives us a great excuse.
My daughter will be 8 years old next year, hopefully there will be a few other kids there.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 07:05 PM   #3
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post
...My daughter will be 8 years old next year, hopefully there will be a few other kids there.
We look forward to seeing you there. We've been to two internationals - 2007 and 2016 and in both cases there were dozens of kids there. There are several activities oriented to younger people... face painting, art, music for example.
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 07:42 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Traverse City , Michigan
We're in! Just registered. It's only 4-5 hours from home in our state, how could we not go? DW has some trepidation, we're not really into rules and rituals, but we'll go with open minds and in the spirit of learning.

If you haven't been to the UP, it's awesome! Lots of outdoor activities and real wilderness. Looking forward to making lots of new friends. If you want to hike, or bike, or kayak while you're there, look us up! WBBCI #7246
Old 07-05-2016, 07:56 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCwheels View Post
....... DW has some trepidation, we're not really into rules and rituals, but we'll go with open minds and in the spirit of learning........

We just returned from Lewisburg. I shared the same concern with you about rules and such.

I got to tell you, the rumors just were not true. No one said one word to us the entire time about any "rules". Badges should be worn, but that is for security reasons, not because of any "rule". The gates to all activities are open, and basically, somebody could just walk off the street. That in fact did happen once early on in the rally.

Berets were basically non-existent except for the flag ceremony. I enjoyed and respected the tradition of this. I didn't stay for the installation, but suspect berets were also worn then by some.

Believe it or not, everyone there was just campers! We had a great, fun, time with friendly people. Yes, we would have preferred more nighttime activity, but we made our own fun.

I suspect we are UP bound next year.
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 09:24 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Dan B thanks for replying to TC's comment. It's helpful to those of us considering future trips.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 12:14 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Look out Night Streamers, we are registered!

We look forward to Airstreaming, UP style.

Can't wait to see Scout again!
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 03:44 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
I'm in! Going to Solar power the entire Rally. UP is a superb experience. Be sure to plan some time before or after the rally. Just too close to SW Ontario to ignore. Don't worry about rituals..We attended the Madison International. If you don't like the Pomp, you don't have to attend. The rest of the rally was quite informal; A great time for me; not so much for my mate as she didn't like parking lot camping. Too bad she is not here for this one on Grass.
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 03:52 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Fees paid and course laid in and set in my GPS. Going to be a long year.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 03:56 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Chief, nice new photo.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 05:15 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
We signed up also. Oshkosh airshow is on the agenda also!

Katy Tex and Wags
bugsbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 06:57 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2004 22' Safari
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Escanaba? Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestysly View Post
The 2017 WBCCI International Rally will be held in Escanaba, MI, July 22 - 29. Here's a link to the web site:

http://wbcci.org/international-rally...-escanaba-mi-2

I think this is the first International Rally that will not be held on/around July 4th (Wally Byam's birthday). We've registered and plan to do some sightseeing before or after the rally.

Anyone else planning to attend?
I lived in Houghton, Michigan for 3 years (on the upper thumb). I can't think of a more unlikely place than Escanaba.

What were they thinking?
Silver.Sanctuary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 07:22 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Negative nelly (sp). There is always one in every discussion.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 07-05-2016, 07:23 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
Chief, nice new photo.

Thanks, beautiful sunset in Lewisburg.

Old 07-05-2016, 07:40 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1993 34' Excella
1962 16' Bambi
New Haven , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver.Sanctuary View Post
What were they thinking?
I think the general idea behind the International gathering each year is to get club members out on the road - using their Airstreams as intended with a destination that is different every year and sometimes off the beaten path.

I would never plan to visit Missouri in July - but we through a pool party in Sedalia that was still be talked about this past week in West Virginia. Two years ago we spent a few days in Gillette WY - which has us travel to the Badlands, Black Hills, Devils Tower, and more. Awesome trip that I would not have taken otherwise.

Last year we high-tailed it to Farmington NM. We did a couple of side trips that were spectacular with an impromptu Airstream gathering on the sidewalks of Durango - memories for a lifetime.

This year brought us to WV where we collectively were able to help local folks who were hurting real bad from the rains. Was proud to be part of that effort.

We have amassed sooo many good friends over the years that tend to gather in one place for a week in the Summer and celebrate the shared love of aluminum. The challenge is to connect with all of them in that short period of time which is impossible. Which is why we have to travel to Escanaba next year.

I have never been north of Detroit in MI. I look forward to the ride up I-75 through the middle of MI wilderness. then across the peninsula to the International gathering.

Glad so say I am now 2nd veep of the VAC. Now which rig to bring to Escanaba?? the '62 with no AC or the '93 which will be considered vintage next year which will also be the 25th anniversary of the VAC. There is more than a year to mull that over. Do I sound like I drank the WBCCI cool-aid? that happened years ago.

Shout out to Sandlapper - great camping again with you this year - waaay to long of a gap on that.

==Dave
Old 07-05-2016, 08:37 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
We're in, and looking forward to it. We were in the UP for the second time last summer and passed through Escanaba, and it is a beautiful city.

For those concerned about too many rules/regulations/berets/parades/badges/traditions....do not be concerned. They will not prevent you from having a great time.

You will like it.

John
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 08:43 PM   #17
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Well said Dave, you nailed it, 100%.

And it was very good to see you and Jane again, after too many years. How did we get so lucky to land 3 doors down!!!!
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 06:11 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
There's plenty to do at a rally even without leaving the grounds. Planned activities are great but just visiting with other campers is the real plus. One really never has to leave the grounds to enjoy the rally. So where the rally is held has a lot to do with how close the membership is. How many can and will attend. Others will travel cross country to get there.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 07:29 AM   #19
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
There's plenty to do at a rally even without leaving the grounds. Planned activities are great but just visiting with other campers is the real plus. One really never has to leave the grounds to enjoy the rally. So where the rally is held has a lot to do with how close the membership is. How many can and will attend. Others will travel cross country to get there.
I have to agree. I enjoyed Lewisburg even though convalescing from a recent bout of bacterial pneumonia would have put a damper on the tours and other off-site excursions even if the natural disaster hadn't. I didn't leave the rally grounds except for an occasional restaurant meal or a grocery run, and still had fun— except for the flag ceremony and delegates' meeting, both of which I was stuck with for the second year in a row and don't care to participate in again anytime soon.

I still haven't made up my mind about Escanaba. Part of the decision-making process will be determining my intermediate stops to and from. For me, it's not just the destination, it's the journey. If I'm going to make a 2600-mile round-trip (minimum, without detours), I want to enjoy every mile as well as every day.
Old 07-06-2016, 07:50 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Pneumonia, takes a while to get your strength back. Don't baby yourself but don't do anything too stupid on your recovery. Good luck.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote