Nowhere , Somewhere
Cool man!

Old 07-06-2016, 09:25 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Along with at least one Thermacell that I can clip to my Airstream Interstate near the sliding side door to help keep the bugs outside where they belong. Maybe two so I can clip one to my belt as well.
So what can you tell me about Thermacell or other type devices for keeping my sanity among the bugs/flys etc.... Do these things work? Should I have a good canvas shirt/pants? netting?

Hensley with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 09:47 PM   #31
1 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
London , Ontario
We are planning on it. Just gotta get the payment ironed out and get our posties to stay at work.
Pete
Old 07-07-2016, 05:10 AM   #32
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken J View Post
Umm Silver - why? I did talk to a friend of mine from there and yes we will have some company - ie flying things - but nothing a little netting won't cure :-) I hear it's an incredibly beautiful area - anyone who knows about the bike paths that I've heard about there I would sure like to know -
Ken,
http://www.mapmyride.com/us/escanaba-mi/

I am currently en route to Escanaba with a small party to finalize some details for the rally.

Richard

WBCCI President 2016-2017
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 07:00 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Yes !!! I hear Michigan has some incredible riding - I can't wait !!! Thanks for the maps - you beat me to my research :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
Ken,
http://www.mapmyride.com/us/escanaba-mi/

I am currently en route to Escanaba with a small party to finalize some details for the rally.
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 08:00 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post
So what can you tell me about Thermacell or other type devices for keeping my sanity among the bugs/flys etc.... Do these things work? Should I have a good canvas shirt/pants? netting?

Check out their web site. I used mine in south Lousiania and the skeeters laughed at me. Used it again in south Florida and it seemed to work as advertised. Hopefully it will have some effect on black flies. I do have the ZD screen room. I have found it to much trouble to put up and take down. If the weather cooperates in Michigan and the bugs are an issue it might be worth the effort to try it again. Somewhere I have hidden away netting gloves and hoods from my years of living in Maine. Thise pesky black fly bites are painful and get easily infected.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 09:46 AM   #35
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
I'm not going to worry too much about mosquitoes and black flies at Escanaba. A month ago we camped at both the Escanaba fairgrounds (where the 2017 International is going to be) and the Straits State Park in St. Ignace, and bugs were negligible either place.

Mosquitoes and black flies like thick woods (that's why Johnson's calls their insect repellent "Deep Woods Off"!) but both Escanaba and St. Ignace are coastal locations with not too many trees and breezes most of the time.

By all means bring insect repellent, but you probably won't need it.
Old 07-07-2016, 11:09 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Nuvite, thanks for the update. Used to be a Boy Scout "Be Prepared".

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 09:00 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Richard - take lots of pictures - you know how we love pictures :-)
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 10:50 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Saskatchewan
Tagging to follow along....
Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 07-08-2016, 04:49 AM   #39
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Richard - take lots of pictures - you know how we love pictures :-)
Will do. We are in lower Michigan taking a break and will get to Escanaba on Sunday.

Richard

WBCCI President 2016-2017
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 09:22 PM   #40
2 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
London , Ontario
We're in!

Signed up and paid. Looking forward to meeting some of the folks from these forums!
Old 07-09-2016, 03:47 AM   #41
3 Rivet Member

2004 22' Safari
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Destination or Journey

Quote:
Umm Silver - why? I did talk to a friend of mine from there and yes we will have some company - ie flying things - but nothing a little netting won't cure :-) I hear it's an incredibly beautiful area - anyone who knows about the bike paths that I've heard about there I would sure like to know -

The Farmington location was one hour from Durango, CO, a location filled with things to do, great restaurants and scenic roads. It is about an hour from Mesa Verde National Park and an hour and a half from Chaco Canyon National Historical Park. It is two hours on empty roads to Monument Valley, one of the most beautiful areas in the country and the setting for a lot of the old movies with John Wayne filmed by Director Ford. Farmington itself is not the highlight of most traveler’s trips, but it is near Shiprock, a notable geologic structure that is hard to forget. It is also close to the meeting point of the corner of four states.

Lewisburg appeared to offer over 200 years of history in the Allegheny Mountains. Although it probably wouldn’t have been my first choice, and I did not attend, I did live in Virginia for four years and found West (by God) Virginia to be a reasonable respite from the extremely high density of people and traffic a little further east. The mountains were generally welcoming, although I understand that the weather and floods dampened the festivities.

I cannot say much good about Escanaba. The land along the UP’s lower lake line from the Mackinaw Bridge to Escanaba is generally flat and boring. I lived in Houghton, Michigan for three years and took dozens of trips with the Michigan Tech students to Orienteering sites in and around lower Illinois, St Louis, Missouri, Cleveland, OH, etc and found the only thing of interest to be a famous Pasty shop and a few deer crossing the road. Roads were narrow and I never much liked the drive since as I recall there were limited opportunities to view the Great Lakes… it wasn’t as if you were driving the shoreline for 3 hours. Bugs and flies are wonderful things if you are an entomologist. Otherwise, maybe not so great. Mackinac Island at the top end of the Mackinaw bridge is fabulous, but over 2 ˝ hours one-way from Escanaba. The bridge is truly a world wonder. These could be a saving grace if you can work them into your travel to and from the International Rally. If you come through Wisconsin, you get to see miles and miles and miles of cranberry bog… not my thing.

I am not saying that some people can’t have a good time in the middle of a cornfield in Iowa. If you truly like the camaraderie of the WBCCI Rallies and don’t care to do anything but sit in one place and drink margaritas (with a few bugs floating on top), by all means pay those big bucks and go. If you all are at Escanaba, there will be less pressure where ever I choose to go. I guess maybe my comment regarding “…what were they thinking?” may have been a little strong. After all, it has to be someplace, preferably more central than not. You shouldn’t have to worry about using your air conditioner that far north and along the water.

If you subscribe to Protagonist's way of looking at it, "...it is not the destination, it is the journey" then you are probably all right.
Old 07-09-2016, 05:32 AM   #42
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Nowhere , Somewhere
So some would like a rally near Disney to be entertained all day and night. Just go back to the trailer to sleep. Limited interaction with other rally guests. For me rally's are a chance to talk to other campers and participate in the scheduled events at the rally. Off rally ground entertainment doesn't figure in very high on my list of tnings to do. If I still owned my AS I would be at Mich next year. Don't care what the area is like, just want to be there with several hundred other AS owners and to enjoy the rally schedule and camaraderie. Of course I've lived in Fl since the early seventys and have never been to Disney, and only see the gulf or Atlantic once every couple years so my opinion may be far off the norm. Each of us must make our own decision whether a rally is worth it. whatever you decide, enjoy yourself.