Old 07-05-2016, 07:40 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1993 34' Excella
1962 16' Bambi
New Haven , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver.Sanctuary View Post
What were they thinking?
I think the general idea behind the International gathering each year is to get club members out on the road - using their Airstreams as intended with a destination that is different every year and sometimes off the beaten path.

I would never plan to visit Missouri in July - but we through a pool party in Sedalia that was still be talked about this past week in West Virginia. Two years ago we spent a few days in Gillette WY - which has us travel to the Badlands, Black Hills, Devils Tower, and more. Awesome trip that I would not have taken otherwise.

Last year we high-tailed it to Farmington NM. We did a couple of side trips that were spectacular with an impromptu Airstream gathering on the sidewalks of Durango - memories for a lifetime.

This year brought us to WV where we collectively were able to help local folks who were hurting real bad from the rains. Was proud to be part of that effort.

We have amassed sooo many good friends over the years that tend to gather in one place for a week in the Summer and celebrate the shared love of aluminum. The challenge is to connect with all of them in that short period of time which is impossible. Which is why we have to travel to Escanaba next year.

I have never been north of Detroit in MI. I look forward to the ride up I-75 through the middle of MI wilderness. then across the peninsula to the International gathering.

Glad so say I am now 2nd veep of the VAC. Now which rig to bring to Escanaba?? the '62 with no AC or the '93 which will be considered vintage next year which will also be the 25th anniversary of the VAC. There is more than a year to mull that over. Do I sound like I drank the WBCCI cool-aid? that happened years ago.

Shout out to Sandlapper - great camping again with you this year - waaay to long of a gap on that.

==Dave

Old 07-05-2016, 08:37 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
We're in, and looking forward to it. We were in the UP for the second time last summer and passed through Escanaba, and it is a beautiful city.

For those concerned about too many rules/regulations/berets/parades/badges/traditions....do not be concerned. They will not prevent you from having a great time.

You will like it.

John

WBCCI #3892
Region 3 , 1st VP

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight he will just kill you........a wise old man.
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 08:43 PM   #17
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Well said Dave, you nailed it, 100%.

And it was very good to see you and Jane again, after too many years. How did we get so lucky to land 3 doors down!!!!
WBCCI #3892
Region 3 , 1st VP

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight he will just kill you........a wise old man.
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 06:11 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
There's plenty to do at a rally even without leaving the grounds. Planned activities are great but just visiting with other campers is the real plus. One really never has to leave the grounds to enjoy the rally. So where the rally is held has a lot to do with how close the membership is. How many can and will attend. Others will travel cross country to get there.
Old 07-06-2016, 07:29 AM   #19
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
There's plenty to do at a rally even without leaving the grounds. Planned activities are great but just visiting with other campers is the real plus. One really never has to leave the grounds to enjoy the rally. So where the rally is held has a lot to do with how close the membership is. How many can and will attend. Others will travel cross country to get there.
I have to agree. I enjoyed Lewisburg even though convalescing from a recent bout of bacterial pneumonia would have put a damper on the tours and other off-site excursions even if the natural disaster hadn't. I didn't leave the rally grounds except for an occasional restaurant meal or a grocery run, and still had fun— except for the flag ceremony and delegates' meeting, both of which I was stuck with for the second year in a row and don't care to participate in again anytime soon.

I still haven't made up my mind about Escanaba. Part of the decision-making process will be determining my intermediate stops to and from. For me, it's not just the destination, it's the journey. If I'm going to make a 2600-mile round-trip (minimum, without detours), I want to enjoy every mile as well as every day.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

I don't have an anger management problem. I manage to remember exactly what everyone has done to make me angry!
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 07:50 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Pneumonia, takes a while to get your strength back. Don't baby yourself but don't do anything too stupid on your recovery. Good luck.
Old 07-06-2016, 08:18 AM   #21

2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Quote:
Pneumonia, takes a while to get your strength back.
Truth. My stamina seems to be recovering at a pace best measured in geologic time— glaciers move faster than I do— but I can already walk farther without resting than I could at the start of the International rally, so there is some progress.

Thanks for the words of encouragement!
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

I don't have an anger management problem. I manage to remember exactly what everyone has done to make me angry!
Old 07-06-2016, 08:43 AM   #22
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
I found after pneumonia and later bipass surgery that recovery is slow for a while and then you seem to leap ahead, and then need to rake it easy for a couple days.
Old 07-06-2016, 09:29 AM   #23

2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Quote:
I found after pneumonia and later bipass surgery that recovery is slow for a while and then you seem to leap ahead, and then need to rake it easy for a couple days.
Perhaps we can dispense with further discussion of my recent ailment and get back to discussing the rally in Escanaba.

In any event I'm told on good authority that mosquitoes may be endemic in Escanaba in late July, so anyone planning to attend might benefit from taking screen rooms for their awnings, or separate free-standing screen rooms. I just purchased a Clam Corp. free-standing screen room that's supposed to be easy to set up by one person— it should arrive at my home the day after I do. If I go to Escanaba I'll be taking it with me just in case. Along with at least one Thermacell that I can clip to my Airstream Interstate near the sliding side door to help keep the bugs outside where they belong. Maybe two so I can clip one to my belt as well.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 07-06-2016, 10:44 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I was told black flys will be swarming up there that time of the year. Bring your netting.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 10:50 AM   #25

2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
I was told black flys will be swarming up there that time of the year. Bring your netting.
I might have heard black flies and misremembered as mosquitoes. Between the two, I'd prefer the skeeters because their bites don't hurt or itch as much, so it probably is black flies.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 07-06-2016, 12:56 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Umm Silver - why? I did talk to a friend of mine from there and yes we will have some company - ie flying things - but nothing a little netting won't cure :-) I hear it's an incredibly beautiful area - anyone who knows about the bike paths that I've heard about there I would sure like to know -
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 01:01 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Perhaps we can dispense with further discussion of my recent ailment and get back to discussing the rally in Escanaba.

In any event I'm told on good authority that mosquitoes may be endemic in Escanaba in late July, so anyone planning to attend might benefit from taking screen rooms for their awnings, or separate free-standing screen rooms. I just purchased a Clam Corp. free-standing screen room that's supposed to be easy to set up by one person— it should arrive at my home the day after I do. If I go to Escanaba I'll be taking it with me just in case. Along with at least one Thermacell that I can clip to my Airstream Interstate near the sliding side door to help keep the bugs outside where they belong. Maybe two so I can clip one to my belt as well.
Whatever, just trying to be nice.
Old 07-06-2016, 01:35 PM   #28

2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Quote:
Whatever, just trying to be nice.
And I appreciate it.

But since I was the one who inadvertently provided the means to derail the thread, I felt I should also un-derail it.

I meant no criticism, so I apologize if you felt like I was criticizing you.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4