Old 06-02-2016, 05:12 PM   #113
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Only my second International. Never really thought about it but it does not make sense to have everybody show up on the same day to park. I hope they do not pay by the camp sites by day but have some sort of fixed fee for the entire time the fairgrounds will be tied up? We drew the 23. I was surprised it was that early but we are retired and can be there by then.

Old 06-10-2016, 08:15 AM   #114
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
E mail of rally updates

I just received the e mail this morning. The people putting all this together are doing a great job and it is very helpful to have the advance info.

All the included links help a lot

99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 06:53 AM   #115
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari SS SE
1969 27' Overlander
Martinez , Georgia
I agree with you, Rick. Who would have thought we would need so many spots, when this contract was signed. The folks in charge have done a great job adapting, and the fairgrounds continue to work on amenities.

AWChief- the registrations were closed because we had exceeded capacity. As with most events, life interrupts plans. We hope those who couldn't register originally, can look again.

I am encouraged by improvements in the club. I think the trend will continue.

Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
mbmbstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 01:55 PM   #116
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Curious, will people currently assigned spots with power/water no sewer be upgraded to sewer spots as people cancel?

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 04:37 PM   #117
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari SS SE
1969 27' Overlander
Martinez , Georgia
Absolutely. That was the basis for the note I sent you last week.

The folks managing this are working hard to consider everyone's needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
mbmbstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 05:04 PM   #118
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Along with the mini caravan this is going to be a blast. Heading on to VHH tomorrow.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 06-12-2016, 05:04 PM   #119
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Thanks Matt

Old 06-22-2016, 11:53 AM   #120
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
3 days away from our arrival at the International Rally! This is our first time, I look forward to joining the 290+ units already on site.

This is gonna be H U G E !!!!
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 05:17 PM   #121
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Be there tomorrow.
Old 06-23-2016, 09:20 AM   #122
Rivet Master

1993 34' Excella
1962 16' Bambi
New Haven , Connecticut
How is the wifi at International? I just looked at Verizon's coverage map and Lewisburg is in a big white spot - as is most of West Virginia.

We should be arriving Saturday afternoon!!!

--dave
Old 06-23-2016, 09:54 AM   #123
Rivet Master

1993 34' Excella
1962 16' Bambi
New Haven , Connecticut
wifi at international

I just received a text message from my unit president stating verizon has good coverage - 5 bars LTE. woo-hoo this means I can work an hour or two while on vacation...err...wait a minute...is this good news?

Thanks for the info Rich who also informed me it's pouring rain with flood warning for today. Good thing Airstreams float.
Old 06-23-2016, 10:00 AM   #124
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by munimula View Post
How is the wifi at International? I just looked at Verizon's coverage map and Lewisburg is in a big white spot - as is most of West Virginia.
Fine for email. Slow for downloading or uploading big files (photos). It's secured so you need a password— which hasn't been made available to everyone yet— but one of the courteous and helpful State Fair employees gave me the password during Tuesday's tornado warning.

Before I had the State Fair's password, I was using my own Verizon service. My Verizon MiFi has excellent reception using an external antenna but without the cradle booster, 4 bars of 4G. Reception inside the Airstream without the external antenna was only about 2 bars.

However, I've had problems talking on the phone with AT&T service. The phone would ring, but when I'd answer, I couldn't hear anyone and apparently they couldn't hear me either. That has happened twice so far since I've been here (a week as of today), both times when I was inside my Airstream, different callers each time.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 10:32 AM   #125
rvb
4 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
Euless , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvite-F View Post
I don't know if I can provide any "answers", but maybe I can provide some historical perspective.

I guess the short answer to the question, "why do they do this" is the ever-popular "because we've always done it this way".

Years ago they used to get thousands of trailers at Internationals and the rallies were generally held in unprepared fields. WBCCI owns (or did own) several semitrailers full of surface wiring and plumbing hardware to provide temporary daisy-chained water and "3 Amp" electric service to all those trailers. Needless to say that took a lot of labor over an extended period of time so there were lots of "early workers". Since these folks were volunteers (and mighty hard workers, I can tell you!), WBCCI scheduled entertainment, tours, etc. for the weeks before the rally as perks for them.

In recent years the attendance has shrunk to the point that the rally can be accommodated in venues that have enough existing hookups that not nearly so many early workers are needed, but the tradition continues to some extent. Also, as pointed out earlier, several meetings are scheduled before the official start of the rally.

The reason that attendees not involved in any of these activities are invited to park early is just to spread out parking over a longer period of time. Not a good idea for thousands (or even several hundred) trailers to all show up on the same day.

This does lead to some strange maneuvers. Since attendees are invited to park long before the VAC parade, VAC members who wish to participate in the parade may end up parking, then hitching up and pulling out a few days later just to parade in with the VAC. Conversely, to participate in the Wagon Wheels Caravan (or whatever they call it nowadays), VAC members may have to miss some of the early activities.

For what it's worth, this seems to be a standard "industry" practice. We attended a Good Sam state rally just to see what they were like, and when we arrived on the official starting day we discovered the rally was already half over.
You are right. Since the VAC pre-rally was cancelled, we will be arriving early and will have to re-hitching to parade in with VAC on the 27th. I look forward to meeting some of you in the VAC tent
Old 06-24-2016, 05:41 AM   #126
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
How about some news! What's happening? Hope all are having a good time.